BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

He's a bit of a streaky manager. Seems like we are either pulling out back to back wins or on a losing streak where we can't buy a point.

Inconsistent over the season though, not going to be enough for any real promotion push.

You want last night to be a watershed moment for him but it won't be. 

Felt like we abandoned his footballing philosophy, put players (near enough) in their correct positions, had pace on the flanks and a target up front.

We pressed Brentford well and got the ball up field as quickly as possible. It's the tactics that work for the players we have and he needs to stick with it.

Puts Gallagher and Brereton back in the spot light though, as it doesn't suit either of them very well.

Therein lies the problem he'll keep changing it again to try and justify their signings or find a place for them if someone else is insisting.

Terrible judgement calls really, i'm not too fussed about Gallagher but whoever thought they'd invested in a sure thing in Brereton can wave bye bye to most of their money. 

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Therein lies the problem he'll keep changing it again to try and justify their signings or find a place for them if someone else is insisting.

Terrible judgement calls really, i'm not too fussed about Gallagher but whoever thought they'd invested in a sure thing in Brereton can wave bye bye to most of their money. 

Brereton in no way looks like a footballer. Tall, gangly and skinny without much pace. He looks more like someone who sits at a computer all day than an athlete. 

As others have said, will be interesting if TM sticks with the line up. Hoping Nyambe went off with fatigue other than anything more serious. 

• Like 1

Just now, benhben said:

Brereton in no way looks like a footballer. Tall, gangly and skinny without much pace. He looks more like someone who sits at a computer all day than an athlete. 

As others have said, will be interesting if TM sticks with the line up. Hoping Nyambe went off with fatigue other than anything more serious. 

A touch of cramp allegedly but i'd be in no way surprised to see him start Bennett again on Sat with some sort of tactical justification regarding a Stoke player. 

For me the back line and centre mid pairing needs leaving alone for a while more than anything else.

Just now, benhben said:

He tweeted after the game of his happiness at winning and the performance and said something along the lines of roll on Saturday. Would suggest to me that there is no injury, probably cramp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amo said:

Fans said Downing could do a job at left-back.

Fans said Armstrong is never a centre-forward.

Fans said Nyambe is a better RB than Bennett.

Fans said Rothwell deserves to start more games.

Fans said Graham is our best striker at the club.

Why is the manager only cottoning on to what the average joe has been saying for months?

Apparently that’s a condescending attitude.

It’s all down to Mowbray. He knows best. Fans know nothing.

6 hours ago, Amo said:

Fans said Downing could do a job at left-back.

Fans said Armstrong is never a centre-forward.

Fans said Nyambe is a better RB than Bennett.

Fans said Rothwell deserves to start more games.

Fans said Graham is our best striker at the club.

Why is the manager only cottoning on to what the average joe has been saying for months?

What is also very telling about Mowbray's recent comments, is how he was accusing the crowd of being edgy and spikey on Saturday. If the players perform, as they did last night and put in a decent display, they crowd will be as normal as any other. I only saw the game on I Follow, but the crowd were lifted by the teams performance and effort and it seemed to me that they were also buoyed by the starting line up too, so blaming the crowd was a cowards trick IMO. 

• Like 5

We rotate far too much although the question is even with a winning formula like last night - how long can it realistically be sustained? 

Evans and Lenihen are both rediculously injury prone and Graham and Downing are getting on, so even without Tony's tinkering how often can that line up be sustained? And when the afformentioned players are out the quality of the replacement (bar Evans) drops dramatically.  

35 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We rotate far too much although the question is even with a winning formula like last night - how long can it realistically be sustained? 

Evans and Lenihen are both rediculously injury prone and Graham and Downing are getting on, so even without Tony's tinkering how often can that line up be sustained? And when the afformentioned players are out the quality of the replacement (bar Evans) drops dramatically.  

Plenty of cover for Evans and Graham (15 million cough cough) and as for Lenihan and Downing, defenders are coming. In short, if we are tinkering because we have no choice, only one man to blame. 

2 hours ago, lraC said:

What is also very telling about Mowbray's recent comments, is how he was accusing the crowd of being edgy and spikey on Saturday. If the players perform, as they did last night and put in a decent display, they crowd will be as normal as any other. I only saw the game on I Follow, but the crowd were lifted by the teams performance and effort and it seemed to me that they were also buoyed by the starting line up too, so blaming the crowd was a cowards trick IMO. 

You'll have the "coward police" on you

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 47er said:

Fair point. Sorry Chaddy.

If we performed like last night alot more than I would change my view but this was 1 game which we played excellent in. 

More of the same please. 

I would agree with Parson that Mowbray has full backing of the owners and his job isn't at threat at this stage

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Whenever we change personnel we change shape. We don’t have like for like cover.

The biggest difference in approach last night though was playing a striker as a striker and a quick skilful attacker on the wing.

Our defence had balance with two centre backs, one of the captain booming orders and organising.

People don’t agree but we need someone to come in who can score goals because we are so reliant on Dack. Brereton just looks ungainly. Get him loaned out ‘for experience’ and bring in a goalscorer.

Right now, I’d settle for a second game in a row with that same defence as last night. Happy to rotate Bennett in and out of the side along with Johnson and Evans but not at right back.

Balance and consistency are what is required.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Whenever we change personnel we change shape. We don’t have like for like cover.

The biggest difference in approach last night though was playing a striker as a striker and a quick skilful attacker on the wing.

Our defence had balance with two centre backs, one of the captain booming orders and organising.

People don’t agree but we need someone to come in who can score goals because we are so reliant on Dack. Brereton just looks ungainly. Get him loaned out ‘for experience’ and bring in a goalscorer.

Right now, I’d settle for a second game in a row with that same defence as last night. Happy to rotate Bennett in and out of the side along with Johnson and Evans but not at right back.

A lot of people say Rhodes would be no good, but he was a fan favourite for Champions Norwich last season and scored some vital goals.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Good post and agree with all this although your we don't have like for like cover is a diplomatic way of saying the cover is appalling! Some aren't like for like stylistically, eg Gally for Graham, some aren't that position - Bennett and Williams as full back - and all of the replacements collectively bar perhaps the front 3 midfielders are a massive downgrade in quality before we even consider style! 

Agree that we have defensive mids coming out of our ears and whilst depressing that in 3 years we haven't improved on Evans, I agree Bennett and Johnson there are much of a muchness and we have cover there. If Travis is injured however it is a different and depressing story as he is a cut above the rest. 

Agree too we are ultra reliant on Dack. Perhaps though with said consistent formation and Holtby and Rothwell playing alongside him, and possibly Armstrong in his purple patch, could perhaps see us realistically getting more goals then we have been. Also with a tighter defence we wouldn't need 3 goals to win a game. All that said a striker who knows where the back of the net is, at least a bit, and can link up play is essential. Even if Graham keeps going for the season he won't be around for ever, and more to the point we're a Graham injury away from having no one to lead the line. 

Overall as I suggested a bit back if we keep it simple we will improve significantly even if the squad is still somewhat threadbare, actually plain out threadbare, in places. As we saw last night keeping it simple makes a heck of a difference regardless of the quality of the players. 

• Like 2

“You always have decisions to make for teams," he added.

"I want to play them all and you want to try and keep everyone happy, but some need to sit on the bench and some need to sit in the stands.

“The guys who played the other night did themselves proud but this is a completely different game and I’ve always said that you pick each team for each opponent.

This is why it’s hard to have the consistency of win, win, win. Sometimes if you do stick with the same team it’s not always the right team for the opponent.

“We might have a few twinges, but what we do know is that we’ll go to Stoke and give it everything we’ve got.”

More guff from Mowbray.

4 Changes coming.

The sides that have the most consistency and tend to be towards the top are the ones that have a settled 11, that have developed partnerships over time, and where everyone knows what they need to do.

We'll never get anywhere making 3 or 4 changes every week for the sake of it.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

More guff from Mowbray.

4 Changes coming.

The sides that have the most consistency and tend to be towards the top are the ones that have a settled 11, that have developed partnerships over time, and where everyone knows what they need to do.

Those quotes are especially funny/depressing because he's literally highlighting the problem seemingly without realising that he's misinterpreting the solution. There are teams who have win, win, win consistency Tony, but unfortunately they have the opposite mindset to you and play to their team's strengths rather than worrying themselves silly over the opponent. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

More guff from Mowbray.

4 Changes coming.

Brilliant!! 

Bennett, Bell and Gallagher back then

Nyambe, Rothwell and Graham dropped.

37 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

More guff from Mowbray.

4 Changes coming.

He just confirmed it there about keeping everyone happy it's piss boiling every time you cut him some slack you then realise he's learned nothing.

Hope he proves us wrong over the next few games but seriously doubt it and what does it say to certain players ?  Come in do well we win, best performance of season then out you go because we are scared of Stoke.

Where is his actual faith in his team and himself ?

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I’ve always said that you pick each team for each opponent.

This is why it’s hard to have the consistency of win, win, win. 

I don’t think this bloke is the full shilling.

He’s talking like rests aren’t important and it’s just about keeping everyone happy with game time. He’d be better off in development football.

Or we are back to: his position is so secure he is under no pressure to get results.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

More guff from Mowbray.

4 Changes coming.

Did people honestly expect the penny to drop after the other night? Mowbray's far too entrenched to reform his "philosophy". Plus he needs an excuse to get Benno back in the first XI.

• Backroom

Credit to the man, came in for a lot of stick last Saturday.

Since then he had the balls to drop his captain and bring in a couple of others and we’ve got two huge wins.

For now at least we are starting to look up the table again; long may it continue.

• Like 7