BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

You won't change him. He stumbled on a winning formula and stuck with it despite himself but the festive period and Dack’s injury has given him license to tinker again. I wouldn’t mind if all this rotation produced a tactical masterclass but the players look more confused than anybody else. What the hell was the thinking behind today’s chop and change?

He’s got to move on, he won’t, something something Venkys etc.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very poor post

Why ?

He's found a formula to keep the playing squad happy. The owners backing and enough points to keep majority of match going fans onside.

Plus surrounded by his mates, bloody genius really. And like I said if he could apply that level of guile to the playing side we'd get somewhere.

It'll never happen though.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

Mowbray is so frustrating. It's the constant tinkering with the formation, system of play and starting XI. Must be a nightmare for opposition scouts, but also for our players who won't know what they are meant to be doing. Liverpool (and other top teams) have a system of play and they stick to it, whoever comes in. It's not rocket science.

The lack of wingers also severely limits our options. We've got Graham and Gallagher in the middle, yet ZERO wingers on the pitch. We've got no options other than to put strikers there or central midfielders out of position.

• Like 3

Just now, OJRovers said:

Mowbray is so frustrating. It's the constant tinkering with the formation, system of play and starting XI. Must be a nightmare for opposition scouts, but also for our players who won't know what they are meant to be doing. Liverpool (and other top teams) have a system of play and they stick to it, whoever comes in. It's not rocket science.

The lack of wingers also severely limits our options. We've got Graham and Gallagher in the middle, yet ZERO wingers on the pitch. We've got no options other than to put strikers there or central midfielders out of position.

I agree, if you intend to play 4-4-2 with two up front you must be getting the ball out to wide players to provide the strikers with good service. Just banging the ball up the middle won't work most of the time.

So many negatives from the game today it's hard to pick out any positives (maybe walton)

I'll try listing as many as we came up with today

Bennett at right back

4 4 2 with two target men up front and nobody out wide to put a cross in

Gallagher on the right wing again and armstrong through the middle

Downing played in 3 different positions during the game 

The urge to promote buckley who just isn't ready yet and had an absolute stinker today.

Some basic passing going astray

No urgency

Chapman looks visibly slower than he did 2 years ago and it's looking like that one is going to be a waste of money

£7million striker not deemed good enough even for a sub appearance 

Did I miss anything?

Just reiterate what I've been saying for ages. The most frustrating and confusing manager I've seen at Ewood.

Far far away from being the worst but his very ceiling is average. In terms of on the pitch stuff and signings 

Most annoying thing is he isn't a long way from being good but he's too many bad habits and blind spots. Briefly threatens to move away from them only to revert to type first chance he gets 

Keep the group happy.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Neil Warnock is available. What are they waiting for?

After last time where Coyle was ultimately appointed, sadly, I don’t think there’s any chance he’d come here...

(Though obviously, I’d love it if that wasn’t the case!!)

What an unbelievably infuriating manager Mowbray is. 

He wants us to be a possession based football team but the players simply aren't good enough.

We went back to what worked, less possession, hitting on the break, using pace (arma & rothwell) in the wide positions, a focal point upfront (graham), dack buzzing around in behind. Results followed.

Slowly but surely he reverted back to being more possession based and we turn into a disorganised rabble. Performances and results have suffered.

Chuck in the stupid amounts of changes per game in order to keep players happy, for added frustration.

He's got the best way of playing with the squad we have and yet refuses to use it. We aren't Liverpool/Man city. 

He's had his chance and screwed it up royally.

Time to sack and try and find a manager who will actually give us an identity and way of playing. Some structure and getting the best out the limited talent we have.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, AAK said:

If the past is anything to go by, Owen Coyle, maybe Brian Laws or even Stan Ternent.

We’d be lucky for Stan a proper football man.

Shie strung lowest budget and almost had them up. Since then the man to discover Andy Robertson and Jarrod Bowen meanwhile Venus and Mowbray gave us brerton.

Not the type to suffer fools either. You’d be going home with a broken nose if you dared answer him back.

Edited by Scotland1

55 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

So many negatives from the game today it's hard to pick out any positives (maybe walton)

I'll try listing as many as we came up with today

Bennett at right back

4 4 2 with two target men up front and nobody out wide to put a cross in

Gallagher on the right wing again and armstrong through the middle

Downing played in 3 different positions during the game 

The urge to promote buckley who just isn't ready yet and had an absolute stinker today.

Some basic passing going astray

No urgency

Chapman looks visibly slower than he did 2 years ago and it's looking like that one is going to be a waste of money

£7million striker not deemed good enough even for a sub appearance 

Did I miss anything?

They spent twenty minutes warm-up, short, sharp, first time passing . The match kicks off and they have forgotten everything

The amount of times 21 players where facing our goal.

On 28/10/2019 at 15:18, CambridgeRover said:

Given we are now in the situation where relegation is a distinct possibility, you would think Tony would self reflect and make some big changes. He should be questioning himself to look for better answers. Why are we struggling going forward? Why do we collapse mentally in games? Who needs to be dropped? 

Instead it feels like he is disconnected. Nothing significantly changes in his approach. In fact the only thing that seems to be happening is that he is becoming more entrenched in his system and refuses to consider the possibility he might need to change things. Why does Bennett play every game? Why does he continue to belittle younger players whilst playing favourites with older players? Why did he priorities a striker so much more than any other position?

I doubt he will ever change. Too stubborn to consider other approaches. And for that reason alone, he has a ceiling to where he can take us. Unfortunately that ceiling is our current position. He won't ever be the manager to take us to promotion or a playoff push. He will keep us in bottom half championship football for the rest of his stint here.  

However, as others have rightly pointed out, he is under no pressure, no pressure to change, no pressure to get us to the playoffs. Venkys are absent, and seemingly like him. It would take a major catastrophe for him to be sacked, perhaps a surprise relegation. 

So here we are, stuck in time, waiting for relegation to come with no way out. The club exists in this zombie like phase, lumbering around but with no purpose and until Venkys leave that is the way it will stay.

Venkys Out

Comment still stands

• Like 1

Huddersfield's manager always looked animated and vocal on the touchline, while Mowbray just stood in silence with his arms crossed. Different managers have different styles I guess, but at least it looked like their manager was involved and trying to influence the game.

Just now, Amo said:

Huddersfield's manager always looked animated and vocal on the touchline, while Mowbray just stood in silence with his arms crossed. Different managers have different styles I guess, but at least it looked like their manager was involved and trying to influence the game.

Maybe he was waiting for a taxi ?

442 with two target men is useless with no genuine width, and two slow, out of position full backs. How can he not see this. And the clear fact that Buckley is not a wide midfield player. He's slow and lightweight and I'm sorry to say is more Sergio Peter than Damien Duff. Fed up with Mowbray, fed up with the team. Fed up with garbage performances in front of big away followings. Fed up with strikers with pitiful goal threats and returns. Fed up with acceptance of mediocrity, fed up with garbage full backs. Just fed up.

• Like 8

The hard, cold facts of Mowbray’s transfer dealings are looking worse and worse.

Brereton has been here 16 months and got one meaningless goal, Gallagher hasn’t won us any points, Armstrong has done better goals-wise but can hardly be counted a great use of £3 million. $14 million for those three and the coffers are now FFP-empty. At the cheaper end, Bell, Rothwell and Chapman haven’t contributed either. And I, for one, do not think that shower are only a new manager away from powering us into the playoffs.

• Like 3

"I think for 20 minutes, we controlled the game. We scored a goal, could have scored another.

"But I think they changed their formation, went more direct, played two strikers, made it a scrappier game. They're a big, strong, physical team , we knew that before we came here. They've got some powerful players."

Quotes from TM about the game. Could have been quotes about the Preston game. Its not rocket science how to beat us - just be physical. Yet despite this happening time after time TM has no answer when teams do this. A busted flush of a manager if ever there was one. 

• Like 1