BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I dont think Holtby had even been prolific. Rothwell is gone to shit and being honest I dont see Brereton scoring 5 more goals whilst he is here. Its worrying times alright and I dont think it's going to be an enjoyable few months til the end of the season. 

Obviously losing Dack is a blow,but I think its literally after causing Mowbrays brain to explode. We could be tail spinning for weeks while he trys to figure this out. The annoying part is it shouldn't have to be so complicated 

Holtby has looked decent at times but I think like many others in the team he's confused about what the manager really wants him to do. Plus his natural fitness appears to be pretty poor so relying on Holtby is asking for trouble. I had high hopes for Rothwell but frankly he's disappointed for the most part since being given his chance. Brereton is useless at present. 

I completely agree that it doesn't need to be so complicated. Go back to what we were doing during the winning run - we obviously can't replicate that team man for man due to injuries etc, but get as close to it as possible. Walton - Nyambe/Lenihan/Tosin/Downing - Rothwell/Evans/Travis/Armstrong - Holtby (or Buckley, or Rothwell with somebody else out right) - Graham. Same formation, same tactics, same overall preparation. Give these lads some consistency in approach and pray that results come. The mad scientist approach Mowbray is taking right now is the exact opposite of what we need. It worked once against Bristol City but I think it's becoming clear that it was much more because they had an off day than because we were just too good for them. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Holtby has looked decent at times but I think like many others in the team he's confused about what the manager really wants him to do. Plus his natural fitness appears to be pretty poor so relying on Holtby is asking for trouble. I had high hopes for Rothwell but frankly he's disappointed for the most part since being given his chance. Brereton is useless at present. 

I completely agree that it doesn't need to be so complicated. Go back to what we were doing during the winning run - we obviously can't replicate that team man for man due to injuries etc, but get as close to it as possible. Walton - Nyambe/Lenihan/Tosin/Downing - Rothwell/Evans/Travis/Armstrong - Holtby (or Buckley, or Rothwell with somebody else out right) - Graham. Same formation, same tactics, same overall preparation. Give these lads some consistency in approach and pray that results come. The mad scientist approach Mowbray is taking right now is the exact opposite of what we need. It worked once against Bristol City but I think it's becoming clear that it was much more because they had an off day than because we were just too good for them. 

Ya and I watched the highlights of that game again the other day,like many games in this league,it was very fine margins. They missed 2 very good chances in the 1st half. They score then,we ain't winning. 

Ya I'm actually scared about how far down this rabbit hole mowbray is going to go. Like the way he's talking about needed a break to digest that Dack is gone and to figure out how to play without him. The players must hear this and be wondering why is he saying it. As the leader and manager he should be trying to minimize Dacks loss. Psychologically at first.  At the moment he is actually making a bad situation worse. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya and I watched the highlights of that game again the other day,like many games in this league,it was very fine margins. They missed 2 very good chances in the 1st half. They score then,we ain't winning. 

Ya I'm actually scared about how far down this rabbit hole mowbray is going to go. Like the way he's talking about needed a break to digest that Dack is gone and to figure out how to play without him. The players must hear this and be wondering why is he saying it. As the leader and manager he should be trying to minimize Dacks loss. Psychologically at first.  At the moment he is actually making a bad situation worse. 

Mowbray is often too candid for his own good. Frankly he should already have prepared for the possibility of Dack being unavailable for a while - especially if it's true that we were planning to sell him in January anyway. When a player is that important you have to consider backup plans if they suddenly get injured or are sold. I mean theoretically I suppose Mowbray could have had a target in mind to bring in when Dack was moved on, but I'm sceptical considering our haphazard approach to Raya and Mulgrew's departures in the summer. Plus any new arrival would probably spend weeks "getting used to the way we play" before being introduced anyway, so what would we have been doing in the meantime? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thanks. To really answer your question I would need to know the actual facts regarding the FFP position that the club is in - because I think that would have to be explained to any potential successor so there could be no question of them feeling they had been misled as to the task in hand. I take on board everything you say but what worries me is that getting someone better than Mowbray will become all but impossible if the FFP position really is as difficult as it has become at other clubs. I would axe him if I thought he was taking us down - along with pretty much everyone else I wanted Owen Coyle fired because it was clear he was going to relegate us - but I don't think we are going down under Mowbray, or at least not this season.

Surely we don't think its good enough to have a manager who won't take us down do we? He's had the financial backing Bowyer never had after all.

3 years and nothing better than stagnation? And given the financial position, worse than stagnation.

We are in an utter mess and I would take the gamble with Johnson, at least on a trial basis.But a good hungry manager from the lower league might do alright as well. I can't see how it could be worse.

A load of ageing players with no resale value, several hardly playing a game for us, can't defend, winning streak in combat with losing streak and losing streaks winning, this is absolute torture and I don't see how it can continue like this without very serious consequences for us.

But the manager stays----right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No doubt we are an attractive proposition to many managers - Ian Dowie is dusting off his CV as we speak- but probably not the good ones.

The £12m is gone and getting rid of the manager does not bring it back - with a contract until June 2022 payoffs mean that FFP gets even tighter.

Well there's a welcome change. Nobody arguing anymore that the £12M hasn't "gone" then? No-one expecting Brereton to do a Lazarus?

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No - I hadn't heard of Wagner or Farke. I have no idea if there is anybody at the club with the sort of knowledge to do what you suggest - the owners seem to favour the use of agents and external consultants for this sort of thing. Nobody on here is blasting other fans for being negative for wanting a charge - it's just a minority of us are trying to point out there are potential pitfalls which in our view point to keeping the manager.

You insult our intelligence. Do you really think your "minority" have the gift of seeing the potential pitfalls of appointing a new manager and the majority don't? 

Utter arrogance. Most of us on here have been around the block a few times more than you.

Do you really think we can carry on like this?

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

You insult our intelligence. Do you really think your "minority" have the gift of seeing the potential pitfalls of appointing a new manager and the majority don't? 

Utter arrogance. Most of us on here have been around the block a few times more than you.

Do you really think we can carry on like this?

Are you always so aggressive towards people who hold a different view to yourself ?

I've been supporting the club since 1965, mate, when I attended my first game so there won't be very many on here who have been supporters for longer although I know there are some.

The minority are putting forward a different view based upon their interpretation of what has happened under these owners in the past and the appalling financial results that were reported yesterday. My view is that these two factors cannot be ignored. Others obviously don't share those concerns to the same degree but I have no intention of talking about insults or arrogance.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Are you always so aggressive towards people who hold a different view to yourself ?

Do you have any sense of irony? And I apologise for thinking you were younger than you are.  (I was a regular ST holder by 1952 by the way!)

The appalling financial results are significantly a result of TM"s managership. I don't feel you hold him sufficiently accountable.

Time to go TM.

• Like 1

Mowbray complaining after today's match that he's not had the time between matches over Christmas to work with the team in setting us up for the opposition.

This is the root cause of the problems IMO, we're spending mon-fri at Brockhall watching what the opposition are doing. 

Over the Christmas period more than ever it is important we have our own system of play that we know inside out and doesn't take 5 days to prepare for.

This is lacking and we're constantly changing to fit who we're playing each week. It's like a merry go round of formations and players.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Mowbray complaining after today's match that he's not had the time between matches over Christmas to work with the team in setting us up for the opposition.

This is the root cause of the problems IMO, we're spending mon-fri at Brockhall watching what the opposition are doing. 

Over the Christmas period more than ever it is important we have our own system of play that we know inside out and doesn't take 5 days to prepare for.

This is lacking and we're constantly changing to fit who we're playing each week. It's like a merry go round of formations and players.

Isn't it the same for most clubs at Christmas or are they trying to blag Pune that it only happens to us ?

Painful he is at times he really is.

Just now, Pedro said:

Really?

Since we've bobbed around like an unflushable turd over this last 12months we've previously suggested the realistic  likes of Nigel Pearson and Slaven Bilic when they were out of work - they've not done too bad have they? People have frequently suggested Gary Rowett - who suddenly has Millwall in a position we haven't been in since the month after we were relegated. There are viable options out there such as Hughes (who will have to drop a division or jump on a plane for his next role), Warnock who loves a short-term challenge and who previously wanted the job - he would be a brilliant 18month option, Chris Hughton (who I do feel will likely bide his time for something different tbh), even Tony Pulis would shore us up and make us more physical, Martin O'Neill would bring a better philosophy than whatever our pretend philosophy is, Jokanovic would be fantastic, he is proven and realistic as he is managing in the middle of nowhere, Aitor Karanka out of work but seems well liked.

There are loads of decent lower league managers, foreign managers and Scottish managers who would love a crack at a team like ours.  Then there's a long list of promotion on their CV run of the mill managers available too, such as McDermot, McClaren, Adkins etc. who are certainly no worse than Mowbray (who was a sacked/jumped before pushed bottom of League One manager when we gave him a shot).  If we were to see the light and get shut, there would be a stack of quality applicants.

...but apparently, it's pointless, all is good at Ewood and we have the absolute best in the business.

Yea, because suggesting now might not be the time to change manager, having no faith in the owners or structure to make the right choice, obviously means I think Mowbray is the “best in the business”

It’s impossible to get into discussion with that, even if some of the manager choices are a good shout. 

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Yea, because suggesting now might not be the time to change manager, having no faith in the owners or structure to make the right choice, obviously means I think Mowbray is the “best in the business”

It’s impossible to get into discussion with that, even if some of the manager choices are a good shout. 

I don't know what you think. You jumped onto a comment of mine suggesting any options I gave would prove me to be a Muppet. I strongly disagree so replied to you.

My comment of him being the best option is based on a load of delusional fans saying he is the best man for the job, even the only man for the job. Fans making out that being 3 or 4 points outside of the playoffs is ace, that people like me "Don't understand what Mowbray is trying to do" and we should simply, "Get behind the lads ffs". To give him more time to fail and probably buy more midfielders!

Performances over a prolonged period of time are totally unacceptable. Basic mistakes happen game after game and I am sick to the back teeth of his bullshit, his idiotic chopping and changing and his pathetic never-ending excuses, hanging young players out to dry and not being self-critical. 

Just now, Irish_Rover said:

I was pretty much gone against Mowbray prior to the winning run, which I really didn't want to as I did want him to succeed as he does (to me anyway) seem like a genuine bloke.

The home game against Wigan though confirmed for me that he will not take us any further.

You are on the back of a winning run, at home with a bumper crowd willing you on against the team bottom of the table. This was his chance to prove something that no other manager has been able to do and at least show us he has the ability to get us into the playoffs. After so many bottled occasions under previous managers it was a chance to put in a real statement performance. Cement our place among the top teams, show the walk on fans that this is what we are about, show the Sky cameras that we are a legitimate contender in the playoffs.

What we got was the one of the most abject and just lazy performances i have witnessed.

For the life of me I just cannot understand why he didnt say to the players "right 100 miles an hour, get into their faces fast". Wigan are bottom of the table for a reason, any sort of pressure in the first 30 mins would have seen them buckle im sure. If we are gassed at the end of that then fine, make changes as needed.

But no we seemed to be content to let them get the ball from the back, let them out under no pressure. Even when it got to midfield there was no one bursting a gut to get back and close out the opposition. It was all leisurely pace getting back, almost running back just to give the impression that some level of effort is being applied.

Upon seeing a few matches on the box lately (which is rarity based on where I am located), the lack of urgency is just utterly ridiculous. It requires zero skill just a willingness to get to the opposition and not give time on the ball. Case in point even today for Joe Lolley's goal for Forest, Bell just a friggin' mile of him and in no way pushed to close him out, either tackle, intercept or at the very least put him under pressure when getting the ball in.

For that reason alone (never mind the shambles of the Brereton/Gallagher signings) Mowbray has clearly shown this is as good as it gets. 12th place in the championship is the peak. From here we can only hope that he decides that he has taken us as far as he can in the summer and is happy enough to step away.

I agree 100% and cannot comprehend how anyone cannot see what we see. Totally abject, passive, dis-jointed and courageless shite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

How about we set up in a way that has the opponents worrying about us. I am sick to death of planning each team around the opposition. Liverpool play the same way week in week out as did Norwich last season in the Championship. 

In my opinion the Venkys need to go for shit or bust now. Spend big in January and gamble. We are buggered if we don't get promotion this season so we might get as well go for it. 

A keeper, a left back, a centre back, a winger and a striker.  5 signings that could save our club.

Ideally Mowbray will go first but I reckon there's more chance of getting shit out of a rocking horse. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

I don't know what you think. You jumped onto a comment of mine suggesting any options I gave would prove me to be a Muppet. I strongly disagree so replied to you.

My comment of him being the best option is based on a load of delusional fans saying he is the best man for the job, even the only man for the job. Fans making out that being 3 or 4 points outside of the playoffs is ace, that people like me "Don't understand what Mowbray is trying to do" and we should simply, "Get behind the lads ffs". To give him more time to fail and probably buy more midfielders!

Performances over a prolonged period of time are totally unacceptable. Basic mistakes happen game after game and I am sick to the back teeth of his bullshit, his idiotic chopping and changing and his pathetic never-ending excuses, hanging young players out to dry and not being self-critical. 

Why are you bringing delusional comments into a reply to me then? I would suggest if the shoe was on the other foot, you’d assume I was describing your view as ridiculous.

I jumped onto your wording about how easy it would be to have a better replacement, and the word you choose to describe Tm - you then saw two points I made in relation to my view, and chose to go on a rant about everything that’s wrong.

You've no interest in a discussion about why i think the best decision as of this moment is to stick, you’re only interested in telling us all what you’ve had enough of. 

Why are you bringing delusional comments into a reply to me then? I would suggest if the shoe was on the other foot, you’d assume I was describing your view as ridiculous.

I jumped onto your wording about how easy it would be to have a better replacement, and the word you choose to describe Tm - you then saw two points I made in relation to my view, and chose to go on a rant about everything that’s wrong.

You've no interest in a discussion about why i think the best decision as of this moment is to stick, you’re only interested in telling us all what you’ve had enough of. 

For clarification, although I felt like I was being clear - yes, I think anyone who thinks we currently have THE best man or the only man for the job must be unbelievably short-sighted, full of fear, easily pleased by dogshit football and definitely delusional. 

Genuinely, I have no idea which pigeon hole you've popped yourself into but you seem to be tarring yourself with the same brush as the ones I am critical of - whereas I haven't read your opinion prior to this so I have no idea of your stance.  Facts are,  I was interacting with another poster before you hopped on the back of a post and suggested that I wouldn't be able to list suitable options and would make a Muppet of myself if I tried...that in all fairness, does appear to be in line with the blinkeredly Pro-Mowbray club that I was slating on the Telegraph website (in that initial post).  You know the ones, those who just snigger, scoff, offer no substance to an arguement and discount facts and reality?

I hope that's cleared things up.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

For clarification, although I felt like I was being clear - yes, I think anyone who thinks we currently have THE best man or the only man for the job must be unbelievably short-sighted, full of fear, easily pleased by dogshit football and definitely delusional. 

Genuinely, I have no idea which pigeon hole you've popped yourself into but you seem to be tarring yourself with the same brush as the ones I am critical of - whereas I haven't read your opinion prior to this so I have no idea of your stance.  Facts are,  I was interacting with another poster before you hopped on the back of a post and suggested that I wouldn't be able to list suitable options and would make a Muppet of myself if I tried...that in all fairness, does appear to be in line with the blinkeredly Pro-Mowbray club that I was slating on the Telegraph website (in that initial post).  You know the ones, those who just snigger, scoff, offer no substance to an arguement and discount facts and reality?

You don’t seemingly read. Although what a surprise, you use “blinkeredly (nope, not a word) pro-Mowbray” which is just typical of the mentality on the LET boards that basically goes; if you don’t agree with me, you must be wrong. Ergo, if you don’t “attack” someone the same, you must be “pro.”

At least we’ve concluded you’d prefer to simply call others names who don’t don’t share your view!

Do yourself a favour, leave this stupid nonsensical argument out, and if you’ve anything more to say - perhaps put it in a direct message to me, so nobody else has to put up with anymore of this tedious posturing, all because you couldn’t take your own insult pointed back towards you!

7 hours ago, Pedro said:

Has anyone said we have the best man or only man for the job ? If so I would disagree with them; but what the muppets like myself who take a different line to you are saying is that we think it unlikely that the owners would be able to identify someone better or attract them here even if they did. Basically I think you are looking at what you think is theoretically possible whereas we muppets are looking at what we think is likely in practice.

3 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

You don’t seemingly read. Although what a surprise, you use “blinkeredly (nope, not a word) pro-Mowbray” which is just typical of the mentality on the LET boards that basically goes; if you don’t agree with me, you must be wrong. Ergo, if you don’t “attack” someone the same, you must be “pro.”

At least we’ve concluded you’d prefer to simply call others names who don’t don’t share your view!

Do yourself a favour, leave this stupid nonsensical argument out, and if you’ve anything more to say - perhaps put it in a direct message to me, so nobody else has to put up with anymore of this tedious posturing, all because you couldn’t take your own insult pointed back towards you!

I can read just fine and the only person making direct insults so far is yourself.  But if we are sharing advice, maybe you shouldn't hang yourself out to dry with a sneery short-sighted response and then go on to keep 4/5 of your argument in your head?

People on here with differing views have debated this and many other topics for years.  I welcome them. I am open to my opinion being changed. I am one if the few who will hold my hands up when I am wrong, but I am also passionate about Rovers and perfectly entitled to indirectly rant about people who ridicule and chat baseless nonsense away from here.  Those who simply roll out the overused, clichéd responses, whilst covering their eyes and ears and happily poke fun at people who share similar views and frustrations to myself.  Those are the stick-together, snidey fanboys I have developed issues with - nobody else. I geinely don't know if that is you, or you have some other online pseudonym - but I have clearly touched a nerve to the point that you felt the need in the middle of the night to dust off your dictionary and do a bit of grammar policing for some reason, which is no problem - personally, I'd much rather talk Rovers than slang.

So anyway, I don't direct message. I will gladly listen if you want to add meat to the bones of your stance/arguement but if are the kind of person who doesn't like getting a bit back when they happily dish it out, then it's probably for the best that you pop me on ignore. There'll be no hard feelings from my side.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I can read just fine and the only person making direct insults so far is yourself.  But if we are sharing advice, maybe you shouldn't hang yourself out to dry with a sneery short-sighted response and then go on to keep 4/5 of your argument in your head?

People on here with differing views have debated this and many other topics for years.  I welcome them. I am open to my opinion being changed. I am one if the few who will hold my hands up when I am wrong, but I am also passionate about Rovers and perfectly entitled to indirectly rant about people who ridicule and chat baseless nonsense away from here.  Those who simply roll out the overused, clichéd responses, whilst covering their eyes and ears and happily poke fun at people who share similar views and frustrations to myself.  Those are the stick-together, snidey fanboys I have developed issues with - nobody else. I geinely don't know if that is you, or you have some other online pseudonym - but I have clearly touched a nerve to the point that you felt the need in the middle of the night to dust off your dictionary and do a bit of grammar policing for some reason, which is no problem - personally, I'd much rather talk Rovers than slang.

So anyway, I don't direct message. I will gladly listen if you want to add meat to the bones of your stance/arguement but if are the kind of person who doesn't like getting a bit back when they happily dish it out, then it's probably for the best that you pop me on ignore. There'll be no hard feelings from my side.

Pro-Mowbray muppets live in absolute fear of change and talk down every viable option out there.” they are your words. 
If you don’t particularly like having your words picked up, don’t post them or at least have a bit more respect if you actually want a discussion. 

As for using the ignore - I’m not so easily frustrated or that bothered to stoop to that level. Leave the ignore to those who find themselves upset when someone they don’t like, likes a post!

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Has anyone said we have the best man or only man for the job ? If so I would disagree with them; but what the muppets like myself who take a different line to you are saying is that we think it unlikely that the owners would be able to identify someone better or attract them here even if they did. Basically I think you are looking at what you think is theoretically possible whereas we muppets are looking at what we think is likely in practice.

Yes, PLENTY do continue to say that. 

To flip your argument a little - the Venkys employed the very same Mowbray that people champion.  They have financially supported him, they showed patience after he failed to stave off relegation and have stood by him through very long periods of poor results and wasteful signings.  Does this patient approach suggest that they have developed a better idea of what is needed from them and their next appointment may be, in fact, very diligent?  Doesn't it suggest a decent opportunity with increasingly more experienced and patient owners? 

Personally, I can't imagine Jack Walker putting up with Mowbray, his excuses, poor performances etc. Nor any other owner of a similarly failing club.  Yet through apathy, certain areas of the fanbase accept failure.  They champion it and have embraced something of a small club mentality - yet we have big club facilities and expenditure.  The Venky's have invested (pronounced wasted) even more money than ever Jack did during his time here and have got sod all to show for it.  We need promotion but clearly, what we are presented with this disorganised rabble, which isn't ever going to cut it unless we can consistently bag three goals a game.  In the meantime, we stick with it and pass on Pearson, Warnock, even Rowett etc.

Pro-Mowbray muppets live in absolute fear of change and talk down every viable option out there.” they are your words. 
If you don’t particularly like having your words picked up, don’t post them or at least have a bit more respect if you actually want a discussion. 

As for using the ignore - I’m not so easily frustrated or that bothered to stoop to that level. Leave the ignore to those who find themselves upset when someone they don’t like, likes a post!

Very ironic.

33 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

One thing I would say - there are best intentions and then best outcomes. If we all could guarantee over night Williams and Hughes back at the club, I’m sure that would be 99% of the “muppets” on board.

Some questions for those willing to spin right now;

Does this include Waggott and other staff like Venus?

If not waggott, who has he previously employed to be a manager bar TM?

If Waggott does go - then who hires the manager?

Is Damien Johnson ready? If so does he get 6/12/18 months without worry of being chopped?