BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

The Mowbray out brigade are really starting to bore me to death. So fickle. It changes weekly.

Here's an idea....how about we just get behind the manager and the team. Support them properly and see where we are at the end of the season. Decisions can then be made on the best way to take the club forward.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Blackpool_Rover said:

The Mowbray out brigade are really starting to bore me to death. So fickle. It changes weekly.

Here's an idea....how about we just get behind the manager and the team. Support them properly and see where we are at the end of the season. Decisions can then be made on the best way to take the club forward.

I can’t say I agree, I think they’ve been very consistent tbh! 
Consider this- we have spent £12 Million on strikers that don’t score enough.

We are then told there are no funds for a January transfer fund.

Concerns are also expressed about FFP compliance.

Our main source of goals is out for ages.

He said the target for the season is 70 points, do you think we will reach that target?

Honest question, if we think things aren’t right now, why wait for a change?

• Like 4

I can see why some fans want Mowbray replaced, while I don’t agree with that view, I do can understand and respect their view.

As some others have said, I fully expected a mid-table finish this season and we are on course to achieve that.  I never bought into the play off talk because the squad that we have isn’t good enough to get the points required to get into the top 6.

The transfer policy is something that does need to be questioned.  TM and his recruitment team are in full control of signing players and we have spent £12 million on strikers that don’t look capable of getting anywhere near 20 goals a season, so that has to be questioned as does the decision not to look at what we lack (particularly in wide areas) which is pace.  Teams find it easy to setup against us because we cannot really hit them on the break or disrupt their defensive shape because everything that we do is so slow.

I hope that Mowbray is given until the end of the season and then we can review where we are.  The other danger of making any change is that there are still outside influences that have access to Venky’s which always brings the danger that they end up listening to the wrong advice and appoint someone as bad as Coyle/Kean which would throw the club into freefall.

• Like 4

Mowbray appears to have set the target at 70 points for the season.

Where he's plucked that figure from I'm not sure, but I think if we got that it would be a decent points return, albeit likely to be short of the play-offs and therefore pretty irrelevant as far as our future in this division is concerned (no serious difference in this League between 7th and 17th).

Having set the target short of promotion at 70 points what then is the next stage in the plan? The scheme to sell Dack either in January or the summer to win friends in India and balance the books but then what? A big gaping hole to fill and presumably only a fraction of the Dack cash to reinvest in multiple areas with a manager who has an appalling record in that area.

The next 4-5 months are important. We are reaching the end of Mowbray's schedule which he repeatedly broadcast following promotion of needing several windows to get us to where we need to be. Well we are now into window 4 since promotion and surprise surprise the goalposts are being moved. No money in the kitty and FFP being pushed around into the fanbase collective mindset as an excuse.

Hang on a minute, I thought the whole idea with the gradual slow build policy and sensible wages etc. was to ensure there was no risk of FFP sanctions whilst slowly growing a strong squad, yet here we sit with no keeper, few defenders and problems in attack.

The next question is whether this is acceptable and whether there's any point in persisting with it for another 12-24 months or to try something different. Perhaps a manager who aims for promotion rather than 70 points. Perhaps the owners will ask why he pushed the slow build project rather than accepted their big money offer (if that ever actually happened).

• Like 6

It’s simple, get results. That’s the only way to silence the critics. There's no continuity with Mowbray, we have the odd unbeaten run in-between some awful, barren spells. It's quite worrying how things quickly fall apart. How is that supposed to inspire confidence that he’s the man to take us forward?

I could understand if there was a discernible plan but there’s not. Still massive gaps in the squad, money wasted on goal-shy strikers, no real playing style. Hardly a work in progress. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

I hope that Mowbray is given until the end of the season and then we can review where we are.  The other danger of making any change is that there are still outside influences that have access to Venky’s which always brings the danger that they end up listening to the wrong advice and appoint someone as bad as Coyle/Kean which would throw the club into freefall.

If we give Mowbray until the end of the season we will be more or less exactly where we were at the end of last season only a year further down the line in terms of FFP, our best player injured and Millions more badly spent by Mowbray. Promotion is the only way to get this club's finance back on track and that needs to be achieved sooner rather than later and its clear for all to see that Mowbray is not the man to do it. Everyday that Mowbray is manager only pushes us nearer to the abyss. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

"TM and his recruitment team are in full control of signing players" 

"The other danger of making any change is that there are still outside influences that have access to Venky’s which always brings the danger that they end up listening to the wrong advice".

Kamy, just out of interest, if you believe there are still outside influences that can affect Venky's decisions, how do you know that Mowbray has full control of recruitment ?

I'm not so sure. I believe he is able to sign freebies and loan players himself but maybe he has act on 'advice' when it comes to spending big money ( young, British, 'potential', investment etc ). 

• Like 4

Planning for next season will be starting soon and if Mowbray is given until the end of the season and then sacked any new manager would be starting from scratch in terms of new signings (and given the out of contract and loan players that could be a lot). 

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Planning for next season will be starting soon and if Mowbray is given until the end of the season and then sacked any new manager would be starting from scratch in terms of new signings (and given the out of contract and loan players that could be a lot). 

Which is exactly why we should be potting him Tony. Venkys may provide money but they provide absolutely zero leadership.

Regarding Gladwin ... why is he giving contracts to Crocks .. Thank goodness he’s left ..

TM thinks BRFC is a charity but who cares as long he is getting paid and that the club is losing money each day .. 

12 Million on 2 duds !! 

please Venkys Sack him .. Should be held accountable for his player recruitment and the fact that he plays boring football ... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Giving someone 'until the end of the season' basically screws up the start of the next season too.

Ideally a new manager needs to come in and see what he's got during 'competitive games' which shouldn't be any later than the back end of the season. Anyone that's 'on the beach' will be exposed etc. and the manager will have a better idea of who to get rid of and what he needs to bring in.

16 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

My view of Mowbray is he was like a breathe of fresh air when he came in and during our promotion season. He said the right things, assembled a pretty decent side in league 1 and brought a bit of pride back into the shirt.

That being said, his signings since promotion with the biggest spend of any manager during Venkys reign have in the main been disappointing.

Dack is the one who has been a massive success and is one of the best bargains we've ever found, but lets not kid ourselves most clubs find a bargain each season sell him make money, then find another.

Some frustrations

£12 million on strikers that neither score or play consistently in the position they were bought for.

His failure to buy a goalkeeper, in what world as a championship professional club do we fail to have a first choice keeper contracted to the club? Walton has cost us 3 or 4 games already this season.

He highlighted and publically stated our defence was not good enough last season, but has failed to improve upon it. 2 of the 4 that started the season are loanees , one is out for the season, whilst the other has been steady without being spectacular. Our early season poor run was due to us having no defenders.

Formation? What actually is it? The product is dross, with the odd decent game every 10 or so. In the main i've been bored at most matches this season and only get my Butt out of my seat when someone wants to walk past.

Players out of position? Its quicker to list who is playing in position as that list you can count on one hand.

Leaders - the team lacks any, are we any better for the loss of Conway and Mulgrew? Id say no, as we dont seem to have the same grit and determination.

Are we playing better or worse this season than last? I think worse, despite more points, we drew a lot last season and the defeat column was much less at this stage last season.

The team has gone stale in my opinion, all this "dont trust them to appoint anyone better"? Is hogwash, its certainly not a reason to keep a manager. Personally i think his time is up, if he left now he would leave with , "he did a good job". If he sees out the season, that good job could soon be forgotten as something needs to give.

This unbeaten 8 game run, was on the back of an awful start, and has been followed by a crap xmas. 

You are entitled to your opinion like everyone else but I do find the conclusion that we are playing worse this season despite accruing points at a better rate somewhat bizarre.

The reason is that we have better game management now and despite your remarks about defence is because we are able to keep a reasonable number of clean sheets.

I don't understand your down on the loan system for which nowadays effective utilisation is an essential part of the manager's skillset. Regarding your comment on the goalkeeper Sheffield United were promoted last season with an on loan goalkeeper in Dean Henderson and are doing the same again this season - pretty well by the look of the league table.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pedro said:

Personally, I can't imagine Jack Walker putting up with Mowbray, his excuses, poor performances etc. Nor any other owner of a similarly failing club.  Yet through apathy, certain areas of the fanbase accept failure.  They champion it and have embraced something of a small club mentality - yet we have big club facilities and expenditure.  The Venky's have invested (pronounced wasted) even more money than ever Jack did during his time here and have got sod all to show for it.  

I could probably write an encyclopedia on mentality and Jack Walker.

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I can see why some fans want Mowbray replaced, while I don’t agree with that view, I do can understand and respect their view.

As some others have said, I fully expected a mid-table finish this season and we are on course to achieve that.  I never bought into the play off talk because the squad that we have isn’t good enough to get the points required to get into the top 6.

The transfer policy is something that does need to be questioned.  TM and his recruitment team are in full control of signing players and we have spent £12 million on strikers that don’t look capable of getting anywhere near 20 goals a season, so that has to be questioned as does the decision not to look at what we lack (particularly in wide areas) which is pace.  Teams find it easy to setup against us because we cannot really hit them on the break or disrupt their defensive shape because everything that we do is so slow.

Surely we aren't actually expecting Venkys to make a change anyway? I don't think TM is under any pressure from.

• Like 1

What an absolute bloody awful situation this is.It appears half our fans have had enough of Mowbray and the other half are shit scared of change because of past track record of recruiting by Venkys who most of us don't want in charge of the club...

Between a Rock and a hard place,hamstrung,up shit creek without a paddle...insert as you see fit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amo said:

Don’t leave the house. You might get run over by a milk float or fall down a manhole. 

Stay indoors. It’s safe (for now) and who cares if you stagnate and rot away?

Don’t read the warning on the firework box. Go back to that lit one that seems to have fizzled out, have a good look right into the tube. Don’t be such a pussy just because you lost an eye last Nov 5th, three fingers, your eyebrows and an ear during the previous six years.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Don’t read the warning on the firework box. Go back to that lit one that seems to have fizzled out, have a good look right into the tube. Don’t be such a pussy just because you lost an eye last Nov 5th, three fingers, your eyebrows and an ear during the previous six years.

Does that mean we never get rid of our old banger? 

Edited by Amo