BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Blackpool_Rover said:

The Mowbray out brigade I refer to is on Twitter rather than on here. That's probably my mistake. I've uninstalled it now! 

I understand why people are against him I just don't see the point in making a change now. Who could we even get? Last time we did this mid-season we ended up with Coyle.

Just see where we are at the end of the season then if he goes (and if there isn't progress it might be a mutual decision) the new guy can have a pre-season.

I agree with you that Mowbray out would not be the right move now. But as a matter of fact Coyle arrived in the close season; Mowbray was brought in mid season

Just now, Pedro said:

You have to factor in that the Brentford lad also has people putting in decent movement around him. Apart from when we wake up and finally hit a team quickly, we are a sluggish, gutless, too many touches, sideways and backwards passing team who constantly kill momentum. I've seen Rothwell make countless forward runs, only for nobody to go forwards with him or the 'striker peeling off to the wide areas. He then consistently lays the ball off sideways or backwards - because that is the ONLY option.  Also, now Graham's legs have gone, he can't make those runs along the back line waiting for a sneaky through ball, in fact, with our approach play so slow, defenders are often set up inside their area by the time we even get up there - rather than on the edge of it, so there is no space to exploit.

Mowbray needs to take a long hard look at himself. His players. His tactics. His failures. His square pegs in round holes - and no amount of bullshit in the Telegraph will tell me my eyes aren't working.

That will never happen. Mowbray has made a lucrative career out of blaming others. He will not change.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blackpool_Rover said:

I understand why people are against him I just don't see the point in making a change now. Who could we even get? Last time we did this mid-season we ended up with Coyle.

Coyle joined pre-season 2016.

Ironically, Mowbray was the mid-season replacement. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blackpool_Rover said:

The Mowbray out brigade I refer to is on Twitter rather than on here. That's probably my mistake. I've uninstalled it now! 

Just see where we are at the end of the season then if he goes (and if there isn't progress it might be a mutual decision) the new guy can have a pre-season.

I had a similar rant regarding the overly positives (off this site) so I totally get it . I love it on here because it is rare people blindly disagree, there's usually substance to whatever an argument is and a mixture of opinions and ages.

For me, the point of making a change is I have been massively unimpressed by him and don't trust him with what limited funds we have. I'd much rather write the season off and let a better man get to grips with our shocking defence and poorly balanced squad.  It would give us the best chance next season - we might even get 'the bounce' and do something this season.  The young players are regressing fast (imo) because they are pushed from pillar to post, the strikers are on the wings, nobody has the faintest clue who plays when and where, there's mistake after mistake and we concede too often and too cheaply -  and we can't have that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, benhben said:

Some other interesting points I took from that..

First regarding Chapman:

“I think initially it’s because of the numbers we’ve got but it’s an opportunity for him to try and do enough to make sure that as people come back he stays on the bench,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph.

“It’s down to him really. I thought he did alright. We need end product from our wide players.”

Great motivation, basically being told you will only ever make the bench. And the other wide players are creating loads of chances? Id be off if I was him. Obviously never going to get much game time while TM is here. 

Secondly regarding Rothwell,

“I’ve been showing him an example of (Bryan) Mbeumo at Brentford, 10 goals and five assists.

“Joe has no goals and no assists.

Pretty damning and also true. Whilst he may excite at times, you cant argue Rothwell needs to do more . 

The reality is that Mowbray is being critical of himself and his coaching staff regarding Rothwell. He's been here 18 months now and there hasn't been any marked improvement as I see it. If Mowbray sees weaknesses he should address them on the training ground and not go public in his criticism of him. It's not the first time neither. If he can't be improved then it's another filed under 'Mowbray's poor signings '.

I think his body language seems too come across as a guy who has run out of ideas . His lack of leadership and direction  from the managers area says it all and his man management and the constant  changing  of the team  doesn't  help .  Ive been brought  up on wingers playing at Rovers Brotherston, Sellers ,Ripley ,Wilcox ,Duff  they got you off your seat. Bennett , Armstrong  and Gallagher don't  . We are three players off  . Left back with paces a winger on the right and a goal scoring number 10  team, Walton Nyambe , Lenihan, Tosin , New on loan  , Chapman or Rothwell  Travis , Evans ,  New on loan , New might need money , Graham only goal scorer in team . We move the ball to slow and need pace on the wings and we need too play with a quicker tempo not rocket science

• Like 3

reading todays telegraph mowbray again discussing players by name and singling them out,a manager should keep his views on his players to the dressing room and training ground,it can` t help morale to be honest,you never read about saxton,mackay,dalglish,souness or hughes etc discussing what a player can or can`t do to the press,completely counter productive imo,especially to a young player

• Like 1

• Backroom

Chapman won the free kick that led to the goal, won about 4 corners and put in our best corner of the match

He did his part, Mowbray will always highlight his flaws though 

• Like 3

See in another latest interview he has said there won’t be many changes for tomorrow’s game. Mowbray logic - make 4-7 changes per match for 5 league games in a row, then keep a very similar lineup for a Cup game.

Edit: here’s the interview: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18135929.mowbray-outlines-rovers-selection-plans-fa-cup-tie/

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

See in another latest interview he has said there won’t be many changes for tomorrow’s game. Mowbray logic - make 4-7 changes per match for 5 league games in a row, then keep a very similar lineup for a Cup game.

Edit: here’s the interview: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18135929.mowbray-outlines-rovers-selection-plans-fa-cup-tie/

He asks the players how they are playing??? 

This man is unreal. He might as well just use jumpers for goal posts and let the biggest boys pick the team. 

Do one Tony!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

So if i am an opposing manager/player then i now to give Downing a "little tap" on his knee  ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blackpool_Rover said:

IMO, the quicker Mowbray and his cronies are drummed out of the club the better.

To 'move him upstairs' as some have advocated would be ridiculous.  Just what has he got to offer!?

Johnson should be given the role for the rest of the season if there is no obvious replacement available - surely, he could do no worse.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He's beyond parody now on this subject,

• Like 4

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

The reality is that Mowbray is being critical of himself and his coaching staff regarding Rothwell. He's been here 18 months now and there hasn't been any marked improvement as I see it. If Mowbray sees weaknesses he should address them on the training ground and not go public in his criticism of him. It's not the first time neither. If he can't be improved then it's another filed under 'Mowbray's poor signings '.

Has any player improved under Mowbray? They all seem to go backwards. You could make an exception for Dack I suppose but he was good when he came.

Just now, 47er said:

Has any player improved under Mowbray? They all seem to go backwards. You could make an exception for Dack I suppose but he was good when he came.

Williams? But only when moved to centre back. After that I’m really struggling.

7 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Finally watched highlights v Forest and Rothwell hit awesome passes in the buildup to both goals.

That should be mentioned by TM as a point of balance to the Brentford guy comment.

Disclaimer: not a big Rothwell fan myself and have been a staunch TM supporter but ffs...

where did the crosses come from was it from the wings by any chance . TM needs to get width in the team  if he could get both wings working Rovers would get more chances per game

10 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Finally watched highlights v Forest and Rothwell hit awesome passes in the buildup to both goals.

That should be mentioned by TM as a point of balance to the Brentford guy comment.

I think the point of balance should be him outing Bennett, Del, etc when they cost us goals...I've never heard him name these lads and they make a goal costing mistake every game virtually. 

For some reason he has his favourite gang and Rothwell doesn't seem to be in it.

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Raya, Nyambe (particularly this season), Lenihan, Williams, Bell, (even if only by a small amount) Evans, Travis, Buckley, Rothwell, Armstrong, and of course Dack who’s either been improved or spotted below his ability.

Should've been more? That’s an easy argument to win but to suggest the entire team has gone backwards smacks of abject negative bias!

• Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Raya, Nyambe (particularly this season), Lenihan, Williams, Bell, (even if only by a small amount) Evans, Travis, Buckley, Rothwell, Armstrong, and of course Dack who’s either been improved or spotted below his ability.

Should've been more? That’s an easy argument to win but to suggest the entire team has gone backwards smacks of abject negative bias!

Has Rothwell? He has done nothing all season. Has Buckley? Only been in the first team picture for a lshort while and I havent seen much improvement. Did Raya? Went backwards to the point of being criticised and dropped. Has Bell? I have seen no improvement whatsoever, Mowbray has seemingly lost his patience with him. Armstrong? Not sure, suppose he has scored more this season so maybe. Dack has always been good but Mowbray deserves praise for that. I think Lenihan is more refined than when Mowbray joined too. Williams probably yes. Evans has always had spells of decent performances. Both maybes.