BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Has Rothwell? He has done nothing all season. Has Buckley? Only been in the first team picture for a lshort while and I havent seen much improvement. Did Raya? Went backwards to the point of being criticised and dropped. Has Bell? I have seen no improvement whatsoever, Mowbray has seemingly lost his patience with him. Armstrong? Not sure, suppose he has scored more this season so maybe. Dack has always been good but Mowbray deserves praise for that. I think Lenihan is more refined than when Mowbray joined too. Williams probably yes. Evans has always had spells of decent performances. Both maybes.

I think the the simple stat that Bell and Rothwell are a level above from their previous clubs points to improvement but also might spell out why both are somewhat ineffectual in this league over consistent spells.

Travis, Nyambe, Lenihan and Raya (before he left) all better under TM than Coyle for me but not difficult since one hardly feautured and another only came through under TM

Buckley looks at home at times but perhaps naive and under strength at others but his chance had come under TM and, if he becomes another mainstay like Travis in time - it’s Buckley who deserves the key credit, TM, Johnson and co after that.

My point was more that the team has come forwards under Mowbray but perhaps not to where he and we expected / wanted.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, the quicker Mowbray and his cronies are drummed out of the club the better.

To 'move him upstairs' as some have advocated would be ridiculous.  Just what has he got to offer!?

Johnson should be given the role for the rest of the season if there is no obvious replacement available - surely, he could do no worse.

Mowbray venus Waggott and the rest of his cronies need to go asap.. Imo they are making a killing on the back of the club being owned by rarely interested owners several thousand miles away and could make a even bigger killing if certain avenues open up.. A certain Coventry training ground sale springs to mind.. 

8 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

Raya, Nyambe (particularly this season), Lenihan, Williams, Bell, (even if only by a small amount) Evans, Travis, Buckley, Rothwell, Armstrong, and of course Dack who’s either been improved or spotted below his ability.

Should've been more? That’s an easy argument to win but to suggest the entire team has gone backwards smacks of abject negative bias!

What a crock! I think it might be you who's biased!! We should be further up the league with all that manager-inspired improvement.

The guy's a genius!

Just now, 47er said:

What a crock! I think it might be you who's biased!! We should be further up the league with all that manager-inspired improvement.

The guy's a genius!

I can acknowledge we should be doing better, but you cannot seem to acknowledge that every player hasn’t gone backwards.

Its like Christmas dinner with one of the “alternative facts” brigade... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Athlete said:

Mowbray venus Waggott and the rest of his cronies need to go asap.. Imo they are making a killing on the back of the club being owned by rarely interested owners several thousand miles away and could make a even bigger killing if certain avenues open up.. A certain Coventry training ground sale springs to mind.. 

You know what also springs to mind? All three would likely be rewarded more than double their current terms if they put the club back in the prem.

So why hold us back for their own gain? Strikes me as paranoid and ridiculous but am I surprised?

Edited by Harry The Bass
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

I think the the simple stat that Bell and Rothwell are a level above from their previous clubs points to improvement but also might spell out why both are somewhat ineffectual in this league over consistent spells.

Travis, Nyambe, Lenihan and Raya (before he left) all better under TM than Coyle for me but not difficult since one hardly feautured and another only came through under TM

Buckley looks at home at times but perhaps naive and under strength at others but his chance had come under TM and, if he becomes another mainstay like Travis in time - it’s Buckley who deserves the key credit, TM, Johnson and co after that.

My point was more that the team has come forwards under Mowbray but perhaps not to where he and we expected / wanted.

Rothwell, Chapman, Bennet,Travis,Bell--all look worse than they did when they first came.

No improvement whatsoever in our £7M striker, and Gallagher is the same as when we first had him on loan. 

You mention Raya but TM  put the blame on him for our defensive woes! Care to criticise the manager for that or is he right?

Nyambe---was left out for so long I thought he was on his way. Bell should be.

We obviously disagree but he's had 3 years, the owners have backed him and we are in poor shape.

Al the excuses you make will not change that.

Just now, 47er said:

Rothwell, Chapman, Bennet,Travis,Bell--all look worse than they did when they first came.

No improvement whatsoever in our £7M striker, and Gallagher is the same as when we first had him on loan. 

You mention Raya but TM  put the blame on him for our defensive woes! Care to criticise the manager for that or is he right?

Nyambe---was left out for so long I thought he was on his way. Bell should be.

We obviously disagree but he's had 3 years, the owners have backed him and we are in poor shape.

Al the excuses you make will not change that.

Opinions are excuses to those who haven’t the humility to accept they aren’t always right.

As I said, he should’ve done better - Raya looked a far better keeper when he left than the one who started originally for us, but that doesn’t mean he was infallible - you seemingly ignore all grey areas for extremes, but I guess that’s common if you’re just looking to disagree.

Nyambe has had so much time our injured too, but don’t let that get in the way of blaming TM for him not getting better. (Even if he has visibly got physically and technically better, now a full international too....)

As for Travis; He deserves key credit but some of the ridiculous views on here suggest TMs took him backwards.... by making him part of his team. Unreal abject negative bias.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think the point of balance should be him outing Bennett, Del, etc when they cost us goals...I've never heard him name these lads and they make a goal costing mistake every game virtually. 

For some reason he has his favourite gang and Rothwell doesn't seem to be in it.

Agreed to a point but he has publicly stated that Bennett "isn't the best footballer" and that Mulgrew was slow and forced us to play deeper.

Not quite the same but do wonder if he is often being quoted after being asked "the fans want to know why Joe isn't starting?" (for example)

10 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

As for Travis; He deserves key credit but some of the ridiculous views on here suggest TMs took him backwards.... by making him part of his team. Unreal abject negative bias.

No, by insisting he plays as boringly as everyone else.

What about Paul Johnson---any improvement in him?

Most of the ridiculous views on here are your's.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

No, by insisting he plays as boringly as everyone else.

What about Paul Johnson---any improvement in him?

Most of the ridiculous views on here are your's.

Yea because describing our coaching teams impact, turning a Liverpool release into our best midfielder as “insisting he plays boringly” doesn’t sound ridiculous at all...!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Whilst Mowbray definitely deserves credit for selecting Travis in the first team, do you think he is the same all action midfielder he was when he broke into the team, or do you think he now plays more conservatively?

If the answer is the latter, do you think that is because of instructions from the manager?

• Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

Whilst Mowbray definitely deserves credit for selecting Travis in the first team, do you think he is the same all action midfielder he was when he broke into the team, or do you think he now plays more conservatively?

If the answer is the latter, do you think that is because of instructions from the manager?

The answer is I think he’s got better every time I’ve seen him play, regardless of others view. 

Edited by Harry The Bass
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Travis doesn't exist in a vacuum - it is extremely likely that opposing managers are more aware of his ability now. That said, ALL midfielders are encouraged to retain posession regardless of manager. Consequence is conservatism unfortunately. If Travis was playing Dack's role then perhaps he would be told to take more risks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

The answer is I think he’s got better every time I’ve seen him play, regardless of others view. 

Modelled himself on Evans as per instructions! Not the same player at all.

But if TM is as good as you think why are we in the shit? After all, he's improved the squad so much---2 points out of 15 is it?

That £12M well spent?

Edited by 47er

Now he's busy absolving himself of any responsibility in regards to Brereton, you know the striker HE paid 6 or 7 million for when the team was screaming out for investment in defence etc.

A very fortunate guy to have such clueless employers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 47er said:

Modelled himself on Evans as per instructions! Not the same player at all.

But if TM is as good as you think why are we in the shit? After all, he's improved the squad so much---2 points out of 15 is it?

That £12M well spent?

5 out of 15 i think. Are we "in the shit" or just not happy about not being in playoff places?

12m - again if TM himself actively chose those players he should be seriously questioned

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Now he's busy absolving himself of any responsibility in regards to Brereton, you know the striker HE paid 6 or 7 million for when the team was screaming out for investment in defence etc.

A very fortunate guy to have such clueless employers.

And if it wasn't his choice?

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Some of his comments make it sound a bit like he wasn't but he's put his name to it in the past. Ben gets 2 today and we win he will again.

My personal belief is that he was told, possibly after other knockbacks, that the owners would sanction BB putting TM in the position of "i might as well go along with it".

A bit of my judgement is based on personal experience with distant and less knowledgeable owners (in other fields) where something sensible would be repeatedly turned down and then money would be splurged on overpriced and unneeded projects.

• Like 1

Just now, Roverthechimp said:

5 out of 15 i think. Are we "in the shit" or just not happy about not being in playoff places?

12m - again if TM himself actively chose those players he should be seriously questioned

I agree it’s frustrating but we needed depth in attack behind Graham and there is no magic wand with transfers.

Considering Murphy, Best and Etuhu probably cost us twice that, I more hopeful BB and SG may eventually find some form and pay some of it back.

Just now, Roverthechimp said:

My personal belief is that he was told, possibly after other knockbacks, that the owners would sanction BB putting TM in the position of "i might as well go along with it".

A bit of my judgement is based on personal experience with distant and less knowledgeable owners (in other fields) where something sensible would be repeatedly turned down and then money would be splurged on overpriced and unneeded projects.

I'm pretty much with you on that although i thought TM would have enough sway with them to say no if he wasn't that keen on it.

There was also something floating about that they shared the same agent at that time though no idea if correct or whether it would have any bearing on that signing. 

• Like 1