BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Please just go. It’s the most frustrating slowest awful football I’ve seen rovers play in 20 years of supporting us. The manager is so out his depth and ten years behind he’s consistently out thought my ex pe coaches and amateur coaches. He has to go. I can’t be bothered to come and watch another Mowbray game. It’s boring it’s awful, I feel like I turn up at ewood just out of routine or to exist. Zero excitement. Just get him gone please.

• Like 1

As said before i think owners can hire managers out of their own pocket and navigate around FFP.

There should be something in it anyway to allow management changes as they are common place in football and sometimes clubs have no choice.

Having said that it doesn't seem to suit the way Vs fund the club, via VLL via VH group.  Something beneficial accounting wise goes on there i assume.

Touched on before but it is a possibility that he's reached the point a while back he's not that bothered if he does get potted. Many have touched on his body language this season and to me he's been like a man old before his time.  

Not saying he's trying to get sacked just more of a shrug of the shoulders 'whatever' type attitude seemed to set in when they were struggling early doors and he was being called out on some of his signings and methods. Prospect of walking out on a two year contract will be galling but getting a two year payoff might be quite appealing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Time to get rid, and sack the coaching staff (apart from Johnson who did well with the reserves/youth teams). A completely new set up is needed if we want to be more than a lower half championship team looking over our shoulder at relegation/FUP issues.

How much does that cost ? What are the FFP implications ? Which managers are the geniuses who own the club going to identify as the next manager ? Would that person want to work for people who were sued because they attempted to renege on a commitment in the employment contract of one of their appointments ? Would that person want to work within the FFP constraints /

So we just accept a slide into relegation when the few good players get sold? Using FFP as an excuse for your hero is a bit weak. There are cunning ways around it I am sure, or do you want us to be playing Fleetwood or Blackpool soon because it may be a shorter commute for you?

No, let's stick with Tony because all change is bad, and use finances as an excuse to have no ambition, drive or desire to do better. And if we are relegated in the next 2 seasons, stick with Mowbray, as he got us out last time.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Touched on before but it is a possibility that he's reached the point a while back he's not that bothered if he does get potted. Many have touched on his body language this season and to me he's been like a man old before his time.  

Not saying he's trying to get sacked just more of a shrug of the shoulders 'whatever' type attitude seemed to set in when they were struggling early doors and he was being called out on some of his signings and methods. Prospect of walking out on a two year contract will be galling but getting a two year payoff might be quite appealing.

I wonder does he give out to the players in an energetic way? I sincerely doubt it. Probably goes in and says unlucky,shrugs the shoulders and maybe points a few things out. No way he is giving a badly needed hair dryer treatment to anyone. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

So we just accept a slide into relegation when the few good players get sold? Using FFP as an excuse for your hero is a bit weak. There are cunning ways around it I am sure, or do you want us to be playing Fleetwood or Blackpool soon because it may be a shorter commute for you?

No, let's stick with Tony because all change is bad, and use finances as an excuse to have no ambition, drive or desire to do better. And if we are relegated in the next 2 seasons, stick with Mowbray, as he got us out last time.

We need to be playing AFC Wimbledon for it to be a shorter commute for me !

More seriously, FFP is real and clobbered Birmingham last season and may get Sheffield Wednesday this season. As a general point the EFL are under pressure from some clubs, notably Middlesbrough, to come down harder re FFP and these cunning stunts of yours may not be there anymore

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

We need to be playing AFC Wimbledon for it to be a shorter commute for me !

More seriously, FFP is real and clobbered Birmingham last season and may get Sheffield Wednesday this season. As a general point the EFL are under pressure from some clubs, notably Middlesbrough, to come down harder re FFP and these cunning stunts of yours may not be there anymore

Yes, I think that bird has flown. Bournemouth, QPR, Derby, Villa, Sheff Wed etc.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder does he give out to the players in an energetic way? I sincerely doubt it. Probably goes in and says unlucky,shrugs the shoulders and maybe points a few things out. No way he is giving a badly needed hair dryer treatment to anyone. 

I think that's the way it is now it's all got too comfortable and familiar. He's never seemed much of a motivator even when he first came we slipped down with a whimper apart from the final game.  Got a free pass obviously and fair enough but he's very much a timid plodding type it seems.

If you have no chairman there maybe applying a little pressure and you know a finish similar to last season will be acceptable to the owners and some fans, despite what you've spent, it's no surprise he's a bit indifferent to it all. Simply though i just think he's limited in his ability and he reached that limit middle of last season. They all have a shelf life but the better ones can rebuild a bit smarter with what they get - the poorer ones take you backwards. Average guys get you treading water in a comfort zone regardless of funds or lack pf them.

Edited by tomphil

It’s the Harry and Mash show again. Defending the indefensible straight after another poor result.

Players are now playing better than they used to; despite us only being able to come up with one player who has (arguably) improved under Mowbray. Travis is playing “better” despite becoming a more negative player - and this is somehow a “positive“. Mowbray is still the best man for the job! We are building for the future!

Meanwhile, the reality is that we lurch from good runs into bad runs based on Mowbray deciding to tinker and we are about to begin a turnover of Mowbray’s own playing staff so he can have another go. This is a scenario not enjoyed by unsuccessful managers anywhere.

His time would be up at any other club with any ambition. A new manager needs to come in now to be able to decide who we keep and who goes during the Summer.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

You know what also springs to mind? All three would likely be rewarded more than double their current terms if they put the club back in the prem.

So why hold us back for their own gain? Strikes me as paranoid and ridiculous but am I surprised?

The likelihood of the Coventry mafia getting us back to the prem is zilch... Personal gain ??? They are paid very handsomely for a job where at any other conventional club they'd have been removed 

• Like 4

If those accounts hadn't come out FFP would hardly be getting an airing at the min but it's just now being inserted into every post by some as yet another TM defence.

Yes it's there, it's real  yes it can impact the near future BUT it is manageable right now, it can be navigated and more importantly it has nothing, zero, jack shit to do with the on field nonsense we've seen this season. Fact.

• Like 4

• Backroom
On 04/08/2019 at 10:27, Harry The Bass said:

This is his big season, he’s essentially set himself up for it by achieving the minimum targets in the previous two and talking up playoffs. I’d be joining you in the queue to help drive him home should we look like going backwards in the coming months. 

On 09/08/2019 at 08:44, Harry The Bass said:

Having another decent summer of investment ramps up the pressure, the natural progression needs to be top 6.

So I’m still firmly against any idea of sacking him right now, and I wouldn’t be advocating an early change unless we are well short of that target in the first half of the season. 

Well, 5 months and over half the season later Harry, where do you stand in regards to these comments?

I'd say we're definately going backwards and as for progression to top 6 - well, we're miles off competing. 

So are you going to be true to your word and hop over to the dark side? C'mon,  it's warm and cosy over here. ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yeah I get where you're coming from. He's got nowhere to hide now, its 100% his squad and it just feels like he's winging it and has a "what will be will be" attitude. 

An extremely limited manager. 

• Like 1