BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

tbh i don` t think anyone expects us to be blasting our way out of the championship,what they do expect though,certainly me,is positive football that creates opportunities to score,the football produced at the moment is the most boring iv`e ever seen,id`e accept it if it produced consistent results,but it does`nt,it`s uninspiring and if waggott thinks he`ll get more fans through the turnstiles he`s an even bigger prat than i thought he was

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The Mowbray flag was out pre match again yesterday. A sign there's no appetite at all for him to go.

Where else would the club pay for a huge flag of the manager and wave it on the pitch pre-match?

Looks good in India I suppose.

It's just a weird extension of the 'cult of personality' thing Mowbray has going on where he is the messiah and cannot be questioned. All for coming second in League 1. Bowyer got it all wrong. He should have let us get relegated when he first got the job, then assuming he would also have been allowed to keep all of our best players and be given a budget far exceeding all other L1 teams, just gotten us re-promoted. Then he would have had the flag. Would probably still be here now. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Irrespective of results or performances? We lose the next 6 games and he stays? Why? You are comfortable with that?

They must be very rich and very relaxed about things if another £20 million loss is fine as long as we achieve the meaningless feat of top 10 in the Championship. 

well we know they are very rich and they keep putting the money in each and every season. 

The owners and Waggott are very happy with Mowbray in charge. 

and we win the next 6 games and he will the messiah with some fans. I think we get around 10 points from our next 6 games. 

39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

As long as we are not in a relegation battle I just can’t see the crowd turning on him en masse. 

Barnsley got close to real dissent due to us slipping towards the bottom 3 at that time. The majority of Rovers fans expect little these days, so plodding around in mid table of the Championship won’t be inviting a rebellion.

The Barnsley game was the closer it has got to a revolt on him. 

I spoke to a couple of fans in front of me at Rovers and they are happy with a top half finish this season. 

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe they're knocking it around the back four and midfield most of the game like we do. You need the ball in the danger area to score goals.

Like I said they missing key players and players out of form that is costing them. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well we know they are very rich and they keep putting the money in each and every season. 

They aren't going to do it forever and when they eventually decide to stop propping up a middling second tier team then god help us. That is why it is imperative that we return to the top flight soon and surely even you must acknowledge that Mowbray is not the man to do that. The way the club is currently operating is not sustainable and only promotion will change that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The owners and Waggott are very happy with Mowbray in charge. 

and we win the next 6 games and he will the messiah with some fans. I think we get around 10 points from our next 6 games. 

The Barnsley game was the closer it has got to a revolt on him. 

I spoke to a couple of fans in front of me at Rovers and they are happy with a top half finish this season. 

Like I said they missing key players and players out of form that is costing them. 

Of course Waggott is happy with him, he always with be! He is close mates with Mowbray, he wont call for his departure.

Ultimately, Mowbray was unable to prevent relegation but then got us promoted and we are now a Championship club. First the buzzword was stability, that has been ticked off. Now it is about progression and ambition, trying to find a way to get into the promotion mix. To progress, a managers recruitment is critical, and with Dacks goal record, we always had a chance of nicking games, and even then we never at any point sat in the top 6 from what I can recall. It is only now he is injured that wasting the money on Brereton and Gallagher really starts to hurt us, and come into focus. 2 chances to get us some attacking power, and in a combined 2 years (Brereton 18 months, Gallagher 6) these investments have got us 3 poxy League goals. On the back of these failures, even if we did have any more money to throw at it, can he justify being the man to trust him with it, baring in mind that without a fair few reinforcements, this squad will at best be what appears to be not miles away from the play off picture, but realistically, never actually in the top 6, and rarely within even 3 points of it?

You seem keen to insist that we cant afford basically any player being suggested, same with managers. Yet you was telling me the other day that we arent skint! The lack of funds has come from Mowbray wasting it,it would have been impossible to spend it any worse than how he has.

Armstrong is undoubtedly our only goal threat at the moment in an otherwise barren team.  That being said, I remain unconvinced that up front is his best position. So often he naturally drifted wide, the goal a perfect example. Often though when he does go wide, we have absolutely no one in the box and that is obviously not conducive to scoring many goals. When he remained central, he struggled to get any change out of the centre backs, often making very little effort to throw his body around knowing that he was facing a losing battle against defenders a foot taller and much bigger

That being said, he was unable to hold the ball up, and he is very one dimensional, and as a striker everything cant be played in behind otherwise it is easy and predictable to defend against. His pace is obviously his main asset, but as with many fast strikers, his movement is not on par with it, hence the fairly regular offsides.

I think we desperately need a left back (Bell is absolutely dismal and Downing needs to be in midfield) a winger and a striker. That being said, Nyambe seems to have become as injury prone as he is important, and we cannot get by playing the incompetent Bennett there. We also could do with a new goalkeeper, and we are incredibly reliant on Adarabioyo and in particular the dominant but injury prone Lenihan to stay fit at CB.

Rovers are not good to watch at the moment. 17 goals in 14 home games according to Rich Sharpe and obviously that is mainly with Dack. We dont create many good chances, we dont score many goals, we rarely get the fans off our feet. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Amo said:

Chaddy's been around the block long enough to know exactly how to hook people in, e.g. @roversfan99

Don't fall for the superfan, faux-naivete. This is some pretty low-key trolling.

Very true. My points about Armstrongs favoured position, Mowbrays position, our lack of attacking threat and our transfer position both past and future were more for general discussion though. The only reason I quoted chaddy was about his Waggott comment.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

wasting the money on Brereton and Gallagher really starts to hurt us, and come into focus.

We have discussed this to death on here between us(and other posters) to death haven't we. He spend it on who he is has. cant change that fact!

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You seem keen to insist that we cant afford basically any player being suggested

where I have said we cant afford Ogilvie , Heneghan, Tanner, Dawson, Jones? 

Haven't you posted that we are skint or got no money? maybe look closer to home before you start making stuff up again like you like to do!

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Armstrong is undoubtedly our only goal threat at the moment in an otherwise barren team.  That being said, I remain unconvinced that up front is his best position. So often he naturally drifted wide, the goal a perfect example. Often though when he does go wide, we have absolutely no one in the box and that is obviously not conducive to scoring many goals. When he remained central, he struggled to get any change out of the centre backs, often making very little effort to throw his body around knowing that he was facing a losing battle against defenders a foot taller and much bigger 

That being said, he was unable to hold the ball up, and he is very one dimensional, and as a striker everything cant be played in behind otherwise it is easy and predictable to defend against. His pace is obviously his main asset, but as with many fast strikers, his movement is not on par with it, hence the fairly regular offsides.

He was offside twice yesterday . That's it. The way you keep banging on about it you think it was loads of times. 

I have said about playing 4-4-2 now with Armstrong up front with either Gallagher and Graham. Play Downing and Rothwell wide and created chances. We have played 4-2-3-1 mainly and I think teams have came wise to use and how we play it. Teams this season have man mark Dack out of games. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we desperately need a left back

Been saying all window

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

we are incredibly reliant on Adarabioyo and in particular the dominant but injury prone Lenihan to stay fit at CB.

Exactly why I said we need a centre back in. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very true. 

what true? Trolling? not a chance. Don't do any of it. The poster who you quote is on ignore list so I can very easily ignore his comments

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have discussed this to death on here between us(and other posters) to death haven't we. He spend it on who he is has. cant change that fact!

where I have said we cant afford Ogilvie , Heneghan, Tanner, Dawson, Jones? 

Haven't you posted that we are skint or got no money? maybe look closer to home before you start making stuff up again like you like to do!

He was offside twice yesterday . That's it. The way you keep banging on about it you think it was loads of times. 

I have said about playing 4-4-2 now with Armstrong up front with either Gallagher and Graham. Play Downing and Rothwell wide and created chances. We have played 4-2-3-1 mainly and I think teams have came wise to use and how we play it. Teams this season have man mark Dack out of games. 

Been saying all window

Exactly why I said we need a centre back in. 

what true? Trolling? not a chance. Don't do any of it. The poster who you quote is on ignore list so I can very easily ignore his comments

Because quite simply, massive money blown in the past leaves us lumbered with 2 terrible players and also leaves the kitty massively depleted in terms of adding further. And in relation to my point, make it very difficult to justify how the manager can continue in his job and be the man to take us to the next level. 

Why would Gallagher come into your thinking when picking a team? About as useful as a chocolate teapot. And who is on the right wing?

We can afford players that have spent their season playing at Gillingham, Blackpool, Morecambe or not really playing at all potentially, but seems we are working under restrictions based on what Mowbray has said.

Dack managed to score plenty of goals considering that so many figured us out with him as a 10 in a 4231!

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's an interesting article in my paper today regarding the up coming Bournemouth v Watford game.

" During Bournemouth's downturn their possession has increased and their passing accuracy has gone up, as has both the number of passes attempted (  from 385 per game in their first 11 matches to 449 subsequently ) and successful ( from 289 to 357 ). Yet they are scoring 0.6 goals per game down from 1.3.

In Watford's upturn their possession and passing accuracy has gone down, as has both the number of passes attempted ( from 403 to 354 ) and successful ( from 311 to 251 ), yet they are scoring 1.1 goals per game, up from 0.6. In the 4 games where they have had the greatest possession Watford have lost by and an aggregate score of 9 to 1.

Bournemouth have extracted 2 points from the 6 games where they have had the ball the most."

Has Mowbray backed the wrong horse implementing this new brand of possession based walking football ?

They've just this minute conceded to Watford after 'over-playing at the back'. ?

Edited by Husky

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Because quite simply, massive money blown in the past leaves us lumbered with 2 terrible players and also leaves the kitty massively depleted in terms of adding further. And in relation to my point, make it very difficult to justify how the manager can continue in his job and be the man to take us to the next level. 

Why would Gallagher come into your thinking when picking a team? About as useful as a chocolate teapot. And who is on the right wing?

We can afford players that have spent their season playing at Gillingham, Blackpool, Morecambe or not really playing at all potentially, but seems we are working under restrictions based on what Mowbray has said.

Dack managed to score plenty of goals considering that so many figured us out with him as a 10 in a 4231!

between us we discuss in the summer on a different social media platform how and who spend the money on. We have still discuss it on here. 

Like I have said previously I think there is a player in Gallagher. Armstrong up front with Graham or Gallagher would be the way I would go. Rothwell and Downing on the wings. Either on the each wing I'm fine with. 

So your last statement saying I said we cant afford players is wrong then? Nothing wrong with looking for gems for lower leagues. Some out there. Just like there is in the foreign markets.

Dack not here now. He injured. Thought Holtby was poor yesterday.  

58 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a mugs game unless you have top class players playing in those positions.

The club's work on it in training when there is nobody pressing. Some of those delusional managers try and replicate it in proper games and so many are getting caught out. Aside from a handful of clubs it's suicidal football.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a mugs game unless you have top class players playing in those positions.

There must be stats around somewhere showing how many goals are a direct result of such fannying around.

I see such goals or near misses in almost every game I watch, which is a lot!

Pep has a lot to answer for. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was offside twice yesterday . 

One of those in the second half was close to Mowbray and he had gestured with his arm to Armstrong to get back on side before the ball was kicked and he was still caught. Mowbray is then tapping the side of his head to Armstrong to think use his brain. Frustrating player is Armstrong if he could work out how to stay on side would be a huge bonus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The club's work on it in training when there is nobody pressing. Some of those delusional managers try and replicate it in proper games and so many are getting caught out. Aside from a handful of clubs it's suicidal football.

I wonder if they always work on our goalkeepers without any pressure. Even Raya looked good on crosses without any defenders or attackers as seen in Benny B's goalkeeping masterclass video.

17 minutes ago, Husky said:

I wonder if they always work on our goalkeepers without any pressure. Even Raya looked good on crosses without any defenders or attackers as seen in Benny B's goalkeeping masterclass video.

I think most clubs do. For me it's more a case of a lack of bravery from Walton and Raya when coming for crosses particularly in a crowded box. I don't think the best coaches in the world could fix that.

A lot of clubs now have non contact games in training for fear of injury.

1 hour ago, Rogerb said:

One of those in the second half was close to Mowbray and he had gestured with his arm to Armstrong to get back on side before the ball was kicked and he was still caught. Mowbray is then tapping the side of his head to Armstrong to think use his brain. Frustrating player is Armstrong if he could work out how to stay on side would be a huge bonus

I' actually heartened to see the manager is trying to drill it in to him that's a good sign at least. 

5 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

They aren't going to do it forever and when they eventually decide to stop propping up a middling second tier team then god help us. That is why it is imperative that we return to the top flight soon and surely even you must acknowledge that Mowbray is not the man to do that. The way the club is currently operating is not sustainable and only promotion will change that.

Every game we stick seems like a missed opportunity.  You see it similarly to myself, it is unsustainable.  That's what the rush is. 

Too many see right past that 20m the Venkys put in and don't acknowledge what it is.  It is thr 20m more than what we make as a business - yet many make out we are some small team, playing at our proper level. We aren't - hence those massive running costs.  We are still paying through the nose for transfers, wages and facilities and it can't go on for long.  It won't go on for long and then certain fans will finally get where we are coming from.  Currently, they are jubilant that Tony won't take us down...he won't take us up and solve our financial crisis either.

• Like 2