BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Nothing much has changed has it? 

We still have a PR machine within the club trying to protect its own interests. Did Dalglish or Souness ever have official flags?

Dubious transfer decisions (Brereton). Some fans are questioning how much Mowbray was involved in this deal, ironically to absolve him of any responsibility.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Amo said:

We still have a PR machine within the club trying to protect its own interests. Did Dalglish or Souness ever have official flags?

Dubious transfer decisions (Brereton). Some fans are questioning how much Mowbray was involved in this deal, ironically to absolve him of any responsibility.

The self preservation Society.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I really don't see the issue with the flag.  Whoever was the present manager the club would make a flag with their image on.  There are two of Jack Walker, one of the badge and one of the manager - linking the club with past and present.  I doubt if Mowbray knew anything about the flag and that it was the commercial or community department attempting to do something different on matchdays that probably came up with the idea.

I don't have a problem with it as such, as I don't think it is doing any harm, but I do wonder what the motive is behind it. 

I think it is unprecedented to see a club fund and manufacture a large flag of the manager. It is incomparible to those of Shankly at Liverpool and Ferguson at United where those flags were funded by fans as a tribute to legendary managers. Here the flag has nothing to do with fans.

I assume that Waggott will have pushed this and authorised the expenditure. I think the big flags are a good idea but find it odd that we would decide to put the current manager on there. Perhaps if we were fresh off an unbelievable promotion but 18 months after getting us back out of League One I'm not sure is enough to justify such a tribute.

As others have said I suspect there's more at play here. Waggott has said before that we are 'lucky' to have Mowbray and need to work hard to keep him here (or words to that effect) and I cant help but think there is a clear effort here to build up Mowbray's popularity and send an image back to those watching in India. 

It becomes unhealthy. It certainly isn't conventional.

• Like 4

The last time i saw one like that it was being waved at Anfield with Klopps image on it.

Not usually something you'd expect to see at a miss firing midtable championship club with a barely half full ground really.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

If we are having huge flags waved I would just like to see iconic figures from our past. Jack Walker being the best example but there are plenty of others. Or the flags could have images of major trophies we have won or teams who have excelled. 

Now everytime a new manager is hired under this regime it will stand out if they don't get a flag. A new manager (with no prior Rovers connections) however should refuse on grounds that they haven't done anything to earn one. Whether Mowbray has or not is open to debate. If the club paid for the flag then yes it's clearly PR.

4 hours ago, Amo said:

Nothing much has changed since the Keano days. Apart from a large section of the fan base have either vanished or been spellbound by the magic stability dust and the football is shitter (the unpopular fact that we've never been higher in the league since Keano was here remains exactly that - A 100% UNDENIABLE FACT).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Waggott is likely to be on an extremely good salary and I would imagine it is a secure job as long as he keeps his nose clean and the club ticking along in mid-table. Even if we were relegated, would he be sacked? Unlikely, I'd say.

The status quo as we stand in the league at present suit Waggott and Mowbray perfectly. No pressure to get promoted and unlikely to go down either. The two of them will have set themselves up for life during their time at Ewood - with more years to add to their pension pots to come.

So Waggott is hardly "on a loser"

You may be correct but that was not my point. I wasn't commenting on the cushiness of Waggott's position. He will always someone who gets a lot of grief either due to his association with Mowbray in getting the job, the actions he performs in the course of his work (flag, weird ticket pricing etc.), or having to provide cover for Venkys.  

12 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's admirable that you have so much faith in BRFC. You've shown it on here for years. If Rovers issued a statement saying that the earth was flat you'd be on here agreeing with it within 5 minutes.

Your blind faith is clouding your judgment. It's no conspiracy to suggest that Waggott got the gig in some part due to Mowbray. They worked together previously and it would seem that they got along. It happens across football. Roy Hodgson has Ray Lewington. Solskjaer brought back Mike Phelan. Moyes took ex-Rover Mick Rathbone to Everton with him. Was Paul Senior a mate of someone on staff at Ewood during his short yet odd tenure?

Unfortunately Rovers in its present guise is not a normal institution so questions are going to be asked about every decision made.

Waggott is on a loser as long as Venkys own the club. His hands will always be tied. Mowbray will keep the club plodding along, albeit with diminishing returns especially if he wastes transfer budgets on dross who can't play and have no sell on value. 

I think your last sentence in the 1st paragraph is very unwarranted IMO. 

If you say that Waggott was interested in the job after being head hunting by the company Rovers hired because Mowbray was here as the manager then fair enough. I can accept that. 

Well did someone at Ewood recommend Coyle to Venkys cos wasn't the job basically Warnock before Cheston went away on Holiday for few days? why didn't Cheston get the deal before he went away? 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you say that Waggott was interested in the job after being head hunting by the company Rovers hired because Mowbray was here as the manager then fair enough. I can accept that. 

Well did someone at Ewood recommend Coyle to Venkys cos wasn't the job basically Warnock before Cheston went away on Holiday for few days? why didn't Cheston get the deal before he went away? 

Which do you think is more likely.

1) Venkys mysteriously and suddenly decide, after nearly 9 years of operating the club without one, that there is an immediate need to appoint a CEO. To this end they go off and employ an agency to headhunt someone to fill the roles and then after a lengthy process whittle it down to one bloke who was unemployed having had brief stints at other crisis clubs Charlton and Coventry. After lining him up by amazing coincidence he knows the manager well from recently working with him at Coventry.

2) Mowbray tells Venkys they need to appoint a CEO because the shell of a club they have created is struggling to function with Cheston out of his depth and Pasha doing nothing useful. He's well in with them. They ask him for suggestions because they couldn't pick their own noses let alone a CEO of a football club and so Mowbray puts forward his mate who he gets on with who needs a new job. Hello Waggott.

Option 1 or Option 2?

As I've said before I suppose it is progress of sorts that Mowbray has the clout to persuade them to do it and we are surely better off with Waggott than nobody as before. Arguably Mowbray has more idea than anyone else around when it comes to appointing high level staff.

Still doesn't detract from the reality - that Mowbray was involved in appointing his own boss

• Like 9

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am sorry if the sentence caused you offence. It was meant to illustrate a point. I intended no malice.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Which do you think is more likely.

1) Venkys mysteriously and suddenly decide, after nearly 9 years of operating the club without one, that there is an immediate need to appoint a CEO. To this end they go off and employ an agency to headhunt someone to fill the roles and then after a lengthy process whittle it down to one bloke who was unemployed having had brief stints at other crisis clubs Charlton and Coventry. After lining him up by amazing coincidence he knows the manager well from recently working with him at Coventry.

2) Mowbray tells Venkys they need to appoint a CEO because the shell of a club they have created is struggling to function with Cheston out of his depth and Pasha doing nothing useful. He's well in with them. They ask him for suggestions because they couldn't pick their own noses let alone a CEO of a football club and so Mowbray puts forward his mate who he gets on with who needs a new job. Hello Waggott.

Option 1 or Option 2?

As I've said before I suppose it is progress of sorts that Mowbray has the clout to persuade them to do it and we are surely better off with Waggott than nobody as before. Arguably Mowbray has more idea than anyone else around when it comes to appointing high level staff.

Still doesn't detract from the reality - that Mowbray was involved in appointing his own boss

Like I have posted yesterday. Waggott has said he was head hunted by a head hunting company. Mowbray has said he had no part in the hiring of Waggott. 

We have had Paul Hunt in Deputy CEO role(Basically CEO as he was running the club at that time). We had Derek Shaw as MD at Rovers for a number of years. We had Alan Myers running the club for few months before he left. Then we had Mike Cheston, the Finance director running the club for few months before the club appointed Paul Senior was appointed Director of football and operations before he resigned. Then a few months later we appointed Waggott. 

So basically we have actually had someone running the club in varied management roles, 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I have posted yesterday. Waggott has said he was head hunted by a head hunting company. Mowbray has said he had no part in the hiring of Waggott. 

I've not idea what happened. However is Waggot really going to say "Tony got me an interview " or vice versa if it was true?

As for running the club, who interviewed Coyle? The million dollar question.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

When Paul Senior is the best we've had I kind of understand my despair at Rovers.

As far as the other nonsense is concerned of course Mowbray got Waggott the fucking job. Head Hunters, my arse.

Paul helped Matt Southall bid for Villa then Charlton with wealthy uae backers.

Matt Southall approaches Venkys beforehand. 

If we hadn’t got relegated after the fire sale any one think that’s why Paul was here. I certainly do.

14 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Personally, I really don't see the issue with the flag.  Whoever was the present manager the club would make a flag with their image on.  There are two of Jack Walker, one of the badge and one of the manager - linking the club with past and present.  I doubt if Mowbray knew anything about the flag and that it was the commercial or community department attempting to do something different on matchdays that probably came up with the idea.

IMO, Mowbray is not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Walker.

Furthermore, if this is an idea originating from our commercial or community departments then, IMO, it underlines the vacuity that now seems all too commonplace at Ewood.  

It is so sad when I think just how far our club has fallen.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have had Paul Hunt in Deputy CEO role(Basically CEO as he was running the club at that time). We had Derek Shaw as MD at Rovers for a number of years. We had Alan Myers running the club for few months before he left. Then we had Mike Cheston, the Finance director running the club for few months before the club appointed Paul Senior was appointed Director of football and operations before he resigned. Then a few months later we appointed Waggott. 

So basically we have actually had someone running the club in varied management roles, 

Agnew recommended to the Indians that we bring Shaw in just like Mowbray recommended Waggott.

And on the subject of Waggott I can't think of one area where he has improved the club.

Another failure.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's the equivalent of Tony's Tombala team selection. Absolutely no continuity. Would you be happy working for a company that went through executives at that rate ? I wouldn't.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

IMO, none of that lot were/are nowhere near capable enough of running Rovers - underwhlemed by them all.