BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

How do you know this? Many players have improved since Mowbray arrived, contrary to what some now claim. 

Enough genuine problems without manufacturing more out of thin air! 

Irrespective of wether you think  that individuals have improved or not,even the dogs in the street know that as a team we are dog shit to watch most of the time. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

imagine how the players feel!!!!!!!!!!,apart from bennett,who no doubt hangs on to his every word,he probably goes round to mowbrays place and vacuums the living room

Well his wife's too busy Tony T Trolling (TTT) on social media.?

Edited by Husky

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yeah - forgot about him. Think he was here before Mowbray ? which gets him off the hook per the poster above.

Is there a hook? I was merely explaining that managers have teams Hughes had one and allardyce it’s par for the course. If the manager who is the figure head succeeds then they share that success and move with them. Equally  if they fail they have to Suffer the same fate has there leader.

Lowe is not part of Mowbray team so if he’s poor then he fails because of that not by association has in the case of Venus. Johnson has proved to be good at his previous job. Can he make the step up only time will tell.

Mowbray is paid to lead to develop the team tactics and ethos full stop no amount of subterfuge by yourself in trying to spread responsibility is acceptable. If there not doing the job he wants he has the power to remove them if he doesn’t then it his responsibility.

If in a hypothetical world where we are top of the league Mowbray would take full credit and if a big club came in he would go and collect the salary and accolades that go with it. The papers would say what a great manager Mowbray is not Lowe not Johnson that is the world he occupies so trying to divert blame to others is grossly unfair.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Since mowbray arrived?

Dack, Nyambe, Armstrong, Evan's, arguably Graham, Travis 

Nyambe and Dack YES

Graham, Armstrong and Evans are on a par with when Tony took over or signed him in Armstrong's case.

Travis I would say Johnson has done most of the work on his progress in the U23s.

At the end of the day, I am of the opinion that Tony's time is up. He has wasted money and the opportunity to progress us. He simply can't take us any further.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

But he is doing the coaching - so why does he get away with it ?

And why are you so desperate for Mowbray to keep his job? Disaster next season if he's still here. That what you want for Rovers?

• Like 2

Mowbray has been moaning about the injuries again, and no doubt that they are a bad stroke of luck.

He was also banging on about not being a Premier League club with 20 odd quality players. Theres absolutely no personal responsibility as ever.

Any team that loses their best player warrants sympathy but all it does is really further expose his abysmal transfer dealings. You cant spend 12m on strikers and they offer absolutely nothing and then still whinge and moan.

Regarding Cunningham, again it was a huge blow but as he was only a short term plaster over our left back problem, he now has the flexbility to be able to send an injured player back without having to keep paying his wages, surely opening up a void for another player to come in.

Evans again is a blow but we are presumably paying good money to have Johnson and Downing here.

The Mulgrew situation is strange too, it seems obviously that it was at the players request, but with money so tight, surely say "sorry Charlie but we cant afford to bring you back."

• Like 2

Footballing god status tonight lets give him credit when it's due, well done TM.

Grand scheme of things nothing really changes, the less he has to pick from the better he does and the better the team performs. About time all the dice fell in our favour and we caught some team having a mare.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

This is quite interesting, we are on the same points that we were at this stage last season. Not really progressing as good as yesterdays win was.

In fairness, that is comparing to essentially our peak last year. Game 28 was the 3rd of a 4-game win streak, which put us into 10th place. The game 29 win had us in 8th, on pace for 68 points, and 3 points out of the playoffs... We then went on that horrid 1-1-9 run :) (our season cushioned somewhat by the 4-1-1 run-in...)

Ugh, I'm remembering now how things were looking so promising at Brentford in game 30: Graham scoring to make it 2-0 in the 7th minute, which I would guess would've had us 1 point out of the playoffs at that point in time. Brentford pulled back one... then Maupay, Benrahma, and Watkins tore us apart in the 2nd half... (From my recollection, it was more a case of those 3 being simply unstoppable than us being particularly 'bad' that half!)

We're on pace for 66 (ok, 65.7...) points at the moment, compared to 60 last year. Not playoff pace, another huge win streak obviously needed for that, but technically still on pace to 'progress' from last year.

Link for reference to last year's place by game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season#Championship_season

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Reedy You're A Star said:

He's hardly had chance to see whether he is or not. Only one way to find out.

In any case we have JRC and Bennett who can both play on the right too. GK, CB and arguably LB are more pressing than another winger for me.

I disagree, I would look at our squad and for me, 2 wingers and a left back are the 3 imminent and pressing priorities, if we are assuming that Armstrong is now solely a striker and Downing is a central player. If we look at depth in areas we are lacking in all areas really, but if we are focusing on improving the first 11 they are the 3 for me.

Dont overly rate Walton, but equally I dont think hes the primary weak point in the team. Lenihan and Adarabioyo are 2 of our better players, as is Nyambe. Left back we are totally lacking, Bell seems to have fooled some into thinking that he is competent, he isnt. Downing and Travis with Johnson as an alternative, we will miss Evans but not top priority.

Armstrong and Holtby are 2 good players, that being said, will they match the Dack and Graham goal tallies? Dont think they will. Also still have Graham and Gallagher as alternatives there. Plus we are also missing Armstrongs relatively modest goal contributions from out wide. Gallagher cant play wide, Rothwell offers nothing in terms of end product, I'd like to see JRC get some game time but we cant bank on him at this stage, Chapman again a risk, the reason that the likes of Maddison and Curtis seem so attractive is that they get plenty of goals and can play in wide roles.

We could do with players pretty much all over. Goalkeeper we have one who is not great and one who is embarrassingly poor, right back we have no back up at all, centre back we dont want to rely on Williams at any point, central midfield we have the void of Evans to fill, and up front no one screams of being prolific. But its all about prioritising.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I disagree, I would look at our squad and for me, 2 wingers and a left back are the 3 imminent and pressing priorities, if we are assuming that Armstrong is now solely a striker and Downing is a central player. If we look at depth in areas we are lacking in all areas really, but if we are focusing on improving the first 11 they are the 3 for me.

Dont overly rate Walton, but equally I dont think hes the primary weak point in the team. Lenihan and Adarabioyo are 2 of our better players, as is Nyambe. Left back we are totally lacking, Bell seems to have fooled some into thinking that he is competent, he isnt. Downing and Travis with Johnson as an alternative, we will miss Evans but not top priority.

Armstrong and Holtby are 2 good players, that being said, will they match the Dack and Graham goal tallies? Dont think they will. Also still have Graham and Gallagher as alternatives there. Plus we are also missing Armstrongs relatively modest goal contributions from out wide. Gallagher cant play wide, Rothwell offers nothing in terms of end product, I'd like to see JRC get some game time but we cant bank on him at this stage, Chapman again a risk, the reason that the likes of Maddison and Curtis seem so attractive is that they get plenty of goals and can play in wide roles.

We could do with players pretty much all over. Goalkeeper we have one who is not great and one who is embarrassingly poor, right back we have no back up at all, centre back we dont want to rely on Williams at any point, central midfield we have the void of Evans to fill, and up front no one screams of being prolific. But its all about prioritising.

Lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

2 wingers and a left back? this transfer window?

Surely we are far better using Chapman and Rankin Costello until of the end of the window. Plus we have Rothwell and Downing that can played and I assume Gallagher will until end of the season. 

If we are looking towards next season squad and the transfers need to make a competitive squad next season. Yes we will need 2 keepers, 2 centre backs, 1 right back, a left back maybe 2 if we don't sign Bell up or but one in this window, Possible a winger, 1 centre midfield. So that's it possible 8 or 9 signings in the summer

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

2 wingers and a left back? this transfer window?

Surely we are far better using Chapman and Rankin Costello until of the end of the window. Plus we have Rothwell and Downing that can played and I assume Gallagher will until end of the season. 

If we are looking towards next season squad and the transfers need to make a competitive squad next season. Yes we will need 2 keepers, 2 centre backs, 1 right back, a left back maybe 2 if we don't sign Bell up or but one in this window, Possible a winger, 1 centre midfield. So that's it possible 8 or 9 signings in the summer

Gallagher cannot play out wide competently. End of. If he will play there then its the wrong decision and I suspect the song "why the fucks he on the wing" will be repeated! Downing is needed in central midfield and can dictate games from there. Rothwell has contributed nothing this season. Rankin Costello and Chapman are to be encouraged but we cant rely on them every game and theres a chance either or both might not be up to it at this stage. Armstrong and Holtby seem to be the 2 to go with centrally, but they wont get the same amount Dack and Grahams goalscoring tally, who also had Armstrong chipping in occasionally. So we need to make the surplus from wide positions. We are sorely lacking there.

I am unconvinced that we will make any signings, maybe one loan maximum.

You have repeatedly said that you think we will sign 3 players this window. Where would they be if so.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher cannot play out wide competently. End of. If he will play there then its the wrong decision and I suspect the song "why the fucks he on the wing" will be repeated! Downing is needed in central midfield and can dictate games from there. Rothwell has contributed nothing this season. Rankin Costello and Chapman are to be encouraged but we cant rely on them every game and theres a chance either or both might not be up to it at this stage. Armstrong and Holtby seem to be the 2 to go with centrally, but they wont get the same amount Dack and Grahams goalscoring tally, who also had Armstrong chipping in occasionally. So we need to make the surplus from wide positions. We are sorely lacking there.

I am unconvinced that we will make any signings, maybe one loan maximum.

You have repeatedly said that you think we will sign 3 players this window. Where would they be if so.

I would be using Rankin Costello and Chapman more now. 

I was very encouraged by Rothwell's performance on Saturday. His movement was I like the most until he got a stupid booking. 

tbh, 2 of them would be left back and experience keeper

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be using Rankin Costello and Chapman more now. 

I was very encouraged by Rothwell's performance on Saturday. His movement was I like the most until he got a stupid booking. 

tbh, 2 of them would be left back and experience keeper

Surely you wouldnt consider Gallagher there though?

And if you are serious about top 6, is having Rothwell, JRC and Chapman not a gigantic risk?