BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

16 minutes ago, briansol said:

Not gonna disagree with that. Consistency is lacking. There is an improvement from last season in results but we're still on track to finish 8-11 on current point haul. 

Pretty certain that we won't challenge for play-offs, my hope is that we can promote the likes of Rankin-Costello, Davenport etc to build a great core of young players for next season. 

Whether it's Mowbray or not next season, I'm really not that bothered. 

Which is a very worrying stage for fans to get to.

2 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

Couldn't that be viewed as a positive?  We are still mot far off despite that and it would be easier to fix than the opposite problem.

We have played 7 games so far against the current bottom 6. We have only won 9 points!

This is grossly inadequate. If we had any thoughts of promotion then that haplessness against poor sides will put paid to it in the end.

It seems counter-intuitive but maybe we can psyche ourselves up better against tougher opponents?

Its bloody soul-destroying I know that.

Dreading playing Wigan again but so do Leeds I suppose!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

We have played 7 games so far against the current bottom 6. We have only won 9 points!

This is grossly inadequate. If we had any thoughts of promotion then that haplessness against poor sides will put paid to it in the end.

It seems counter-intuitive but maybe we can psyche ourselves up better against tougher opponents?

Its bloody soul-destroying I know that.

Dreading playing Wigan again but so do Leeds I suppose!

Tactically this is TMs biggest weakness - he hugely struggles against defensive teams we should beat who play for the point. It has been the same throughout his tenure. 

I think our run in looks difficult.on paper but in actuality it probably will work out better for us. That and dead rubber games are what suit us more. When the pressure and expectation is therefore we don't seem to do well. May help with a push for playoffs too. With our inconsistent form and hoard of injuries we really aren't anyone's likely bets for a top 6 place. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, briansol said:

Not gonna disagree with that. Consistency is lacking. There is an improvement from last season in results but we're still on track to finish 8-11 on current point haul. 

Pretty certain that we won't challenge for play-offs, my hope is that we can promote the likes of Rankin-Costello, Davenport etc to build a great core of young players for next season. 

Whether it's Mowbray or not next season, I'm really not that bothered. 

I read somewhere last week (Telegraph I think) that we had exactly the same points from exactly the same amount of games as last season.  It just seems like results are improving - even though they aren't.

On 03/02/2020 at 20:24, briansol said:

Last 14 matches form table with the worst manager in the league..... 

You just don’t get it mate. We’re second in that form table in spite of Mowbray. It’s only when we’re playing badly that all of the players are listening to him!!...???

• Like 3

On 04/02/2020 at 12:30, Blue blood said:

Tactically this is TMs biggest weakness - he hugely struggles against defensive teams we should beat who play for the point. It has been the same throughout his tenure. 

I think our run in looks difficult.on paper but in actuality it probably will work out better for us. That and dead rubber games are what suit us more. When the pressure and expectation is therefore we don't seem to do well. May help with a push for playoffs too. With our inconsistent form and hoard of injuries we really aren't anyone's likely bets for a top 6 place. 

Great point about beating defensive teams. Yes, historically we have struggled to break them down because you need real technical quality to capitalise on poor teams or against 10 men...which I think is part of the reason we’ve been evolving and for the intro of more technical players.

Hopefully the 5-0 at Wednesday is a signal of our intent.

On 04/02/2020 at 18:15, Pedro said:

I read somewhere last week (Telegraph I think) that we had exactly the same points from exactly the same amount of games as last season.  It just seems like results are improving - even though they aren't.

You are correct. Last season we were in a decent position as well only to fall apart from February until April with only 4 points from 11 games.  

Totally agree with Mowbray that Bennett always gives you 100 percent even when he's not playing well.  This season he has played with injury and in any position required to aid the team.  Other players in the squad respect and speak highly of him - which I suppose is why he is the ideal club captain.  Personally, I would like to see him here next season because his versatility is ideal for a club that has limited resources.  JRC is similar in his ability to play in several positions and there are one or two others in the Under-23's who are adaptable to different roles.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree with Mowbray that Bennett always gives you 100 percent even when he's not playing well.  This season he has played with injury and in any position required to aid the team.  Other players in the squad respect and speak highly of him - which I suppose is why he is the ideal club captain.  Personally, I would like to see him here next season because his versatility is ideal for a club that has limited resources.  JRC is similar in his ability to play in several positions and there are one or two others in the Under-23's who are adaptable to different roles.  

Everyone gives 100% but thats not enough to warrant a place and although he is willing he is a liability in the vast majority of those positions. Versatility often is a player unable to nail down a spot in his actual position.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Interesting looking at the league table after 31 games last year. This year We have one point more, have scored one more (despite being utterly toothless this year) but have conceded 9 fewer goals. 

Just a point for debate on that, a lot say it's the weakest div its been for sometime so does that have a bearing on it i wonder ?

The money seems to be at the top again aside from one or two who are making a mess of it but will probably get their acts together in coming seasons. Then there are a few well run solid clubs with good managers who've been working to an ambitious plan up there but apart from that it's the usual mish mash competitive but plain old Championship as far as i can see.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

A Mowbray classic here talking about Elliot Bennet:

’Whilst he may not be able to play right back like Nyambe or left wing like Downing’.

Is that the same Ryan Nyambe that he’s kept out of the team at right back for a good proportion of your time here, Tony?! 

For a minute proportion of his time and it is no longer the case. MOVE ON MAN! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Everyone gives 100% but thats not enough to warrant a place and although he is willing he is a liability in the vast majority of those positions. Versatility often is a player unable to nail down a spot in his actual position.

I really don't see him as a liability, particularly when he plays in a wide midfield role.

• Like 3

So, I’ve had several conversations with young Maddison, scores goals, assists and saw him recently he hit the post, puts crosses into the box, he shoots from outside the box, is now the delegated free-kick taker but we decided to go down a different route.

I am at a total loss trying to understand what our manager’s  thought process is? Amazing!

I would feel much more confident if we had Bauer and Maddison in our line up tonight. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I really don't see him as a liability, particularly when he plays in a wide midfield role.

I dont think he offers anything going forward to justify playing in those positions. But to be fair that is his natural position. What about if he plays as a right or left back for example, when he is "showing his versatility?"

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think he offers anything going forward to justify playing in those positions. But to be fair that is his natural position. What about if he plays as a right or left back for example, when he is "showing his versatility?"

Cos he will play anywhere for this club and under Mowbray. He's has played this season with injuries

He is our joint 3rd highest assists this season. Not for someone who offends nothing

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

So, I’ve had several conversations with young Maddison, scores goals, assists and saw him recently he hit the post, puts crosses into the box, he shoots from outside the box, is now the delegated free-kick taker but we decided to go down a different route.

I am at a total loss trying to understand what our manager’s  thought process is? Amazing!

I would feel much more confident if we had Bauer and Maddison in our line up tonight. 

They'd rather stick 12 million into two young investments with no real goalscoring or otherwise pedigree whilst hoping to cover it with the sale of Dack.

That's the thought process here and you might be forgiven for thinking it's an overly ambitious pipe dream of wheeling and dealing to make money rather than build a promotion challenging side in the near future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stonesrick said:

Jesus, are Madrid aware of this? I know they are looking at replacing for Bale. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

On 01/02/2020 at 11:51, OldEwoodBlue said:

Those last 3 all had the same agent.

The same one as Steve Kean. Just saying like.

Incidentally what was Steve Kean's Championship win percentage? Probably higher than all the others considering he's still the only manager that's had us in the play-off positions. That says it all. These shower of shit stability years we still find ourselves in are very very over-rated.

• Like 1