BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Look, I agree with all of that! He is a good guy and I would love it all to work out.

Makes me sick when I read references to "haters" on here.

Ahhh the irony. So it makes you “sick” when you read references to haters? The post above yours following a 0-2 away win, 3pts off the playoffs, best points tally at this stage, most clean sheets etc is the EPITOME of hate.

I think the recent form in spite of the injuries has done a bloody wonderful job of separating supporters vs haters with agendas. Many Doubters (including myself) are happy to put our hands up and say ‘fair enough’ the manager is doing some job to keep us in this position with the injuries. Whilst others are working tirelessly to prove their point. The “I think we’re winning in spite of Mowbray” one is particularly amusing to me! ??

16BE22C8-3F7C-4FE7-A303-7516623A50FF.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Not spending those limited resources well?

He obviously has spent some of those resources quite well or we wouldn’t be winning games like yesterday with the likes of Walton, Armstrong, Samuel, Johnson and Downing starring!

Fyi - all this with our best three creative players (all signed by Mowbray) currently injured.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The question for me.  Are we doing better BECAUSE of injuries? TM being forced to play players he may not have done normally - in more natural positions and it seems to be working.  Every credit for it but I'm on the fence whether it's luck or good judgement. 

The paradox of choice.

In my view, every fan needs to forget the issues of the past for now & just get behind TM & the players. That doesn't mean don't objectively criticise his decision-making going forwards, but let's not colour it with prejudices from the past. No major changes will happen now & we wee with the willy we've got, as Souey so eloquently put. The end of the season will be the time to drill into the detail of where we succeeded and failed & how we can learn from that.

However we've got here, whether people think it's because of TM or in spite of him, this represents our best chance of the playoffs in years and I'm pretty sure everyone on here would have taken this position back in the summer. It's a short, 13 game season from hereon in

So let's embrace it, embrace each other (virtually, of course!), get down in force to watch this team home & away where possible and be as one to help do our bit as fans to give this tight knit squad the added confidence to go on & achieve something that would be fantastic for our great club that's suffered so much adversity this last decade.

Tubthumping over!!

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He obviously has spent some of those resources quite well or we wouldn’t be winning games like yesterday with the likes of Walton, Armstrong, Samuel, Johnson and Downing starring!

Fyi - all this with our best three creative players (all signed by Mowbray) currently injured.

Signing Armstrong for 1.8.mil(3 mil including adds on) was a bargain. Signing Downing was a masterstroke. Bringing in Adarabioyo and Walton on loan have proven good signings. The improvement of Travis, Lenihan and Nyambe is down to Mowbray and his staff. Then Buckley and Rankin Costello coming there. Samuel looks a different player last 2 games. 

All this whilst with Dack injured long term, Holtby injured for season, Cunningham injured. Sent back now. Rothwell coming back now after a couple of weeks injured. 

Could Rothwell coming back be the player to push us to top 6?

• Like 2

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Signing Armstrong for 1.8.mil(3 mil including adds on) was a bargain. Signing Downing was a masterstroke. Bringing in Adarabioyo and Walton on loan have proven good signings. The improvement of Travis, Lenihan and Nyambe is down to Mowbray and his staff. Then Buckley and Rankin Costello coming there. Samuel looks a different player last 2 games. 

All this whilst with Dack injured long term, Holtby injured for season, Cunningham injured. Sent back now. Rothwell coming back now after a couple of weeks injured. 

I’m not sure mate, Rothwell is very talented but at times can be an enigma. I think us getting the 6/7 more wins to get us into that top 6 will depend on whether we can keep the back 5 plus Trav, Arma and Downing fit. The defensive improvement from the signings of Tosin, Walton and briefly Cunningham as well as the progress of Nyambe who has improved dramatically since last season is giving us the platform. Meanwhile our pattern of play appears to be working in forward areas. Regardless of who is picked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

Next week basically defines our entire season for me.

Beat them and yep we are 100% promotion candidates. 

Lose and heads will undoubtedly drop.

I'm just pissed off it's an early KO, can't stay over as my missus is nearly due!

Good luck to you and your missus, hope all goes well.

Have you thought of Tony / Toni for a name?! ?

• Like 1

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Good luck to you and your missus, hope all goes well.

Have you thought of Tony / Toni for a name?! ?

I'm trying to think how Tosin or adarabioyo fits into a name tbh Haha I absolutely love the guy and if anyone doesn't appreciate his talent should go and stand at the turf watching hoofball 

• Like 3

• Backroom
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

A few months ago I would have said yes, but after his extended run in the team pre-injury I doubt it. I believe the game he got injured was where he got his first assist of the season, and he hasn't scored any goals for us in the league this season. He was largely underwhelming during his run in the first team this season tbh, so I'm not banking on Rothwell bringing anything major to the table upon his return. Would love for him to prove me wrong though and have another storming run as he did towards the end of last season. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

I have found it a little distateful to see so many people rather than themselves concentrating on the win yesterday smugly going round taking the moral high ground trying to dig people out for what they have said in the past. The manager has specifically been criticised for very tangible and fair reasons, the majority of the money being spent on failures etc and very fairly, these criticisms remain.

Of course you will always get exceptions on both sides of people sticking to their guns unfairly but in the main even those perceived to have been quite negative have given the manager some praise yesterday and prior. Sorry to single you out @Bbrovers2288 but I felt you was very harsh after the win midweek with your criticism but you followed it up with plenty of praise yesterday rather than sticking to your guns so fair play to you.

Ultimately, our aim is the top 6 and as of yet we have not at any point reached that so I suspect it is a little premature for smugness. Of course there are plenty of mitigating circumstances and progress is not measured solely on finishing in there or not.

For what its worth, I have been critical at times of Mowbray this season, questioning his job several times. I have been impressed and very much have seen a plan coming to fruition in the last dozen or so games, we have dealt with injury misfortune and whilst of course I am not totally 100% convinced by everything he does, which wouldnt be healthy, we are picking up results.

But i find it just as strange that peoples first instinct is to gloat and take the higher ground just as much as it puzzles me to see people unexcited even when we win.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I have found it a little distateful to see so many people rather than themselves concentrating on the win yesterday smugly going round taking the moral high ground trying to dig people out for what they have said in the past. The manager has specifically been criticised for very tangible and fair reasons, the majority of the money being spent on failures etc and very fairly, these criticisms remain.

Of course you will always get exceptions on both sides of people sticking to their guns unfairly but in the main even those perceived to have been quite negative have given the manager some praise yesterday and prior. Sorry to single you out @Bbrovers2288 but I felt you was very harsh after the win midweek with your criticism but you followed it up with plenty of praise yesterday rather than sticking to your guns so fair play to you.

Ultimately, our aim is the top 6 and as of yet we have not at any point reached that so I suspect it is a little premature for smugness. Of course there are plenty of mitigating circumstances and progress is not measured solely on finishing in there or not.

For what its worth, I have been critical at times of Mowbray this season, questioning his job several times. I have been impressed and very much have seen a plan coming to fruition in the last dozen or so games, we have dealt with injury misfortune and whilst of course I am not totally 100% convinced by everything he does, which wouldnt be healthy, we are picking up results.

But i find it just as strange that peoples first instinct is to gloat and take the higher ground just as much as it puzzles me to see people unexcited even when we win.

Fair enough, I have no issue with that. I felt we made hard work of Hull when they were terrible and there for a hammering, but yesterday I kind of preparing myself for a poor result so they surprised me but not following the norm. I don’t follow sheep, rightly or wrongly have my own opinion which il stand by. But yes I agree with your main point, and point scoring off fellow fans isn’t on 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rothwell is inconsistent there’s no doubt about that but it will still be a big boost to have him back in the squad, even off the bench you know he’s more than capable of producing a moment of magic. Be good to have him back. Brentford is a massive game for us, if we could go down there and get a result I will start believing ?

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Samuel is the one that looks likely to me.  I'd like him to get an extended run up top

39 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Got to make the best of a bad situation 

I'll remind you of that when generous Rovers give him a new 2 year contract and is rotating him on the right side next season much to everyone's annoyance. Oh and in place of an actual right winger !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Samuel is the one that looks likely to me.  I'd like him to get an extended run up top

He has to continue in this central position. Absolutely no question about it. Way better than any other choice on the basis of the last 2 games.

If it doesn't last then fair enough. 

• Like 1