BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You do realise that you regularly use "rumours" or "speculation" to make your own points, but then look down on, scoff at and attempt to belittle others who do the exact same to counteract your point? Or if it is just something you disagree with

So your rumours good, other peoples bad.  

What rumours have I used to make my points? Or even to scoff at others? If you mean Maddison, the thing I maintained was that the only actual evidence of anything was his chairman saying that his transfer was partially money motivated, which I dont see as an issue. If people can find anything showing or highlighting a bad attitude, be my guest.

My whole point was that the transfer window was unsuccesful, which youve agreed. And that so many people are desperate to make other fans seem like they are just only interested in negatives that it affects their judgement, that is the case for the odd one but its the same with people who defend every single thing the manager does or if they cant, they deflect. There has been so much crowing after Saturdays win but more about desperation to humiliate and pick apart people perceived to be too negative rather than the actual result.

I dont think you could file my overall opinion and current outlook as negative, yet you are continuing as if I am.

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It's not  "failure" if the right players aren't there at the right prices. It's a question of exercising judgement - it would have been failure if we had brought the wrong players in.

It’s a failure because we needed new faces and didn’t get any. We didn’t get them because nobody did their homework on targets. We know this because Mowbray was shocked at the numbers being talked.

This good and defensive-injury-free run we are currently on has covered a multitude of sins.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If you mean Maddison, the thing I maintained was that the only actual evidence of anything was his chairman saying that his transfer was partially money motivated, which I dont see as an issue. If people can find anything showing or highlighting a bad attitude, be my guest.

We heard from the Peterborough Chairman about his attitude but you dispute it every time tho. But you have nothing to dispute apart from your dislike of Chairman being open and honest with his fans and public. 

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

What are you talking about, Chaddy? Gallagher and Brereton were both too expensive , and I believe SG to be on 30k per week. You just talk twaddle constantly.   It's like you just blot out anything that went before if it doesn't fit your argument. 

You believe what your twaddle you want but Gallagher was on 24k at Southampton before his move here and he did interview saying he took a significant pay cut to join us. Same as Armstrong. 

I will find the articles for you..

• Moderation Lead
46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You do realise that you regularly use "rumours" or "speculation" to make your own points, but then look down on, scoff at and attempt to belittle others who do the exact same to counteract your point? Or if it is just something you disagree with

So your rumours good, other peoples bad.  

I’ll be honest, there probably are a few posters on here belittle or scoff at others, but Roversfan99 isn’t one of them at all, IMO. 
I’ve always found him to be quite the opposite in reality. Maybe the only thing I could criticise would be his and Chaddy’s obsession with each other, but nobody’s perfect....
Just maybe put him on ignore it he bothers you that much? 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We didnt know the exact budget until after the window so there was no noving of the goal posts. But Maddison didnt go for 2.5m, he went for a 6 figure loan I think with another fee to make it permanent in the summer. 

Most of the conversation about Maddison since has been people going out of their way to try and prove that we were right about not signing him, mainly fabricated nonsense about his atttude.

I meant around the time of the Preston away game and Huddersfield at home, im sure we were 17th or 18th. Again my point has been taken out of context regarding my expectations were at the lowest at that point during the season, naturally. Wasnt even a criticism.

Even so we have never festered around the bottom half. We’ve been largely mid table which is exactly where most posters expected us to be. 

All in all I’ve been happy with this season and don’t particularly see any part of it as a failure. We can agree to disagree on that. It’s obvious you see the good points and the bad but I took objection to the use of the word festering - it would imply we spent a lot of time there and that simply isn’t true. 

I suspect that the fact he went to a club like Hull says a lot about the player. Such a cheap deal for a man with so many goals and assists - why only Hull? It’s no use crying about spilt milk though and any arguments about whether he’d be a good or bad signing should probably wait until after the season to see how he’s done in this league. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We heard from the Peterborough Chairman about his attitude but you dispute it every time tho. But you have nothing to dispute apart from your dislike of Chairman being open and honest with his fans and public. 

I havent seen these comments, bar like I said the ones that said that he joined Hull was because he declined Charlton due to location/traffic issues and financial reasons which I dont think is at all indicative of a bad attitude. It has nothing to with their chairman, and if he can be quoted to say that Maddison has a bad attitude then please feel free to show me and I will concede.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Even so we have never festered around the bottom half. We’ve been largely mid table which is exactly where most posters expected us to be. 

All in all I’ve been happy with this season and don’t particularly see any part of it as a failure. We can agree to disagree on that. It’s obvious you see the good points and the bad but I took objection to the use of the word festering - it would imply we spent a lot of time there and that simply isn’t true. 

I suspect that the fact he went to a club like Hull says a lot about the player. Such a cheap deal for a man with so many goals and assists - why only Hull? It’s no use crying about spilt milk though and any arguments about whether he’d be a good or bad signing should probably wait until after the season to see how he’s done in this league. 

Fester was perhaps a poor choice of word.

My main point is that I dont see the season as a whole as a failure but there are parts of it or aspects of it which I do. I feel that it is fair to deride the signing and tactical use of Gallagher, the over (but now IMO refreshingly changing situation) use of Bennett, the non existent winter transfer window etc, praise the signings of Downing and Adarabioyo or the development of Travis, Armstrong and Nyambe individually or indeed comment on the overall expectations without being branded either positive or negative as an overall opinion.

For context, our first season in the League was a massive failure but Rhodes form was a success. A successful thing can happen in a failure of a season and vice versa.

I suppose you could say that about Dack, when he joined us maybe Championship sides were thinking he has only joined Rovers, he cant be that good. And he has tangible issues regarding his personality in terms of a court case. It perhaps would be naive to dismiss anyone solely on prejudged or perceived personality based on the success of Dack but that is a different debate!

I have never said that Maddison will be a good signing for Hull, he was just an example of a player who could improve us, who was affordable (loan deal with further fee to buy as Hull have) and who could score and assist from the wide position. He may well flop. He may well build on his goal last week and prove a bargain. The only reason debate has rumbled on is because I think people are going out of their way to speculate and justify the fact that we didnt sign him, ergo he cant be good.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I havent seen these comments, bar like I said the ones that said that he joined Hull was because he declined Charlton due to location/traffic issues and financial reasons which I dont think is at all indicative of a bad attitude. It has nothing to with their chairman, and if he can be quoted to say that Maddison has a bad attitude then please feel free to show me and I will concede.

He rejected 3 clubs offers including Charlton, Birmingham and Hull offers. He told the Peterborough Chairman that he wanted to go Birmingham and then rejected it. 

Look at the Peterborough Chairman comments. Answers there. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I have never said that Maddison will be a good signing for Hull, he was just an example of a player who could improve us, who was affordable (loan deal with further fee to buy as Hull have) and who could score and assist from the wide position.

Yes an example but clearly we didn't sign him for different reasons. 

Yes it was the Peterborough Chairman idea to loan him to Hull after he rejected 3 clubs off to at least get some money for him. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He rejected 3 clubs offers including Charlton, Birmingham and Hull offers. He told the Peterborough Chairman that he wanted to go Birmingham and then rejected it. 

Look at the Peterborough Chairman comments. Answers there. 

Yes an example but clearly we didn't sign him for different reasons. 

Yes it was the Peterborough Chairman idea to loan him to Hull after he rejected 3 clubs off to at least get some money for him. 

Still no quotes about him having a bad attitude.

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What are your thoughts on Robbie Savage's attitude when he engineered a move here from Birmingham? 

Don't worry, I'll wait. ^_^

16 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’ll be honest, there probably are a few posters on here belittle or scoff at others, but Roversfan99 isn’t one of them at all, IMO. 
I’ve always found him to be quite the opposite in reality. Maybe the only thing I could criticise would be his and Chaddy’s obsession with each other, but nobody’s perfect....
Just maybe put him on ignore it he bothers you that much? 

Never said he bothered me! 

4 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Bellamy 

savage 

diouf 

etc 

Maybe, you could add Speedie?

I get your implication, but I do think it is a bit more complicated than that. There is an argument for considering the impact of a player on the atmosphere and culture. I know it shouldn't just be about cosiness, but also include willingness to challenge others etc.

Now I happen to know that Bellamy is supposed to be a bit of a bully. He consistently targeted Pedersen-according to Micky Gray, anyway.

Bellamy's own performances for Rovers were excellent, but could his behaviour have had a negative impact on Pedersen's or others' performances?

These are valid issues for a manager to consider imo.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Still no quotes about him having a bad attitude.

One thing I have noticed though is that this bad attitude tag is something not only mentioned on here. Birmingham fans after he messed them about over a move said they d dodged a bullet and Sunderland fans when both linked with him raised the bad attiude tag. Even Peterboro fans quote the same thing and a quick google of Peterboro leads to the Peterborough Telegragh even running a headline ..

Peterborough United star Marcus Maddison: ‘A genius and a great entertainer, or an out-of-form player with a bad attitude’

Peterborough United star Marcus Maddison is a ‘genius’ to some Posh fans, to others he’s an out-of-form player with a bad attitude.

Makes you think theres something not just 100 percent about Maddison

Probably not been helped by this either .. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30136476

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

One thing I have noticed though is that this bad attitude tag is something not only mentioned on here. Birmingham fans after he messed them about over a move said they d dodged a bullet and Sunderland fans when both linked with him raised the bad attiude tag. Even Peterboro fans quote the same thing and a quick google of Peterboro leads to the Peterborough Telegragh even running a headline ..

Peterborough United star Marcus Maddison: ‘A genius and a great entertainer, or an out-of-form player with a bad attitude’

Peterborough United star Marcus Maddison is a ‘genius’ to some Posh fans, to others he’s an out-of-form player with a bad attitude.

Makes you think theres something not just 100 percent about Maddison

Probably not been helped by this either .. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30136476

Its all assumptions and suggestions, nothing concrete, he may have a bad attitude but I have seen no evidence of this. That article is 6 years old and he his saying that he has knuckled down, which I suppose is evident considering he has been scoring and assisting with regularity since.

For example, the owner suggesting that the player rejected Charlton due to locational and financial reasons is in no way suggestive of a bad attitude yet "what the owner has said" is now being taken as gospel proof of a bad attitude, and whenever I question where he has actually said this, no clarity is offered!

I just think people are trying to desperately justify not signing him, I am not necessarily saying we definitely should have got him but his record and his affordability made it very much worth a lool.

There is also additional hypocrisy considering our best signing under Mowbray was facing a court case and had big questions about his attitude. Sometimes these gambles pay off.

The phrase there’s no smoke without fire springs to mind. 

Goals and assists are what I care about. Swear people said Dack had a bad attitude too. He’s loved here. 

Ive always had Rovers fans as a club where bad lads can thrive. I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s one for that myth thread there is somewhere. There’s endless talent come through here that perhaps had an attitude that wouldn’t fit in most places. Dunny being one, loved a drink. Bellamy, Bentley, Savage, Diouf as mentioned. Tugay was a heavy smoker which may not have washed at most clubs. I’m kind of rambling here but I wouldn’t say no to a player based on what other fans and clubs have said about him. 

As an example I never saw much of Rodwells supposed bad attitude here. He did alright on the pitch he just wasn’t good enough for what we wanted.

Its all assumptions and suggestions, nothing concrete, he may have a bad attitude but I have seen no evidence of this. That article is 6 years old and he his saying that he has knuckled down, which I suppose is evident considering he has been scoring and assisting with regularity since.

For example, the owner suggesting that the player rejected Charlton due to locational and financial reasons is in no way suggestive of a bad attitude yet "what the owner has said" is now being taken as gospel proof of a bad attitude, and whenever I question where he has actually said this, no clarity is offered!

I just think people are trying to desperately justify not signing him, I am not necessarily saying we definitely should have got him but his record and his affordability made it very much worth a lool.

There is also additional hypocrisy considering our best signing under Mowbray was facing a court case and had big questions about his attitude. Sometimes these gambles pay off.

Not disagreeing in general .But ..when the same rumours circulate around a footballer then you do start to think those behind the scenes know more than we possibly do. 

Apparantly he f*cked Brum about for more money after telling the Peterboro chairman that he wanted to join them.Then low and behold he ends up at Hull who just happen to have £22M burning a hole in their pocket and probably secured him on on quite large wages which most of the Championship couldn't afford. 

Also begs the question why no one else previous to this has taken a punt on him ..being a player that's been touted as a very decent footballer for quite a few seasons now.

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Not disagreeing in general .But ..when the same rumours circulate around a footballer then you do start to think those behind the scenes know more than we possibly do. 

Apparantly he f*cked Brum about for more money after telling the Peterboro chairman that he wanted to join them.Then low and behold he ends up at Hull who just happen to have £22M burning a hole in their pocket and probably secured him on on quite large wages which most of the Championship couldn't afford. 

Also begs the question why no one else previous to this has taken a punt on him ..being a player that's been touted as a very decent footballer for quite a few seasons now.

Your theory on wages is somewhat hypothetical although backed up by the chairman saying that he partly turned down Charlton for financial reasons. Why is that an any way a negative or a reason to doubt his personality? Everyone is somewhat driven by money, why would he not wait out for more money if he could get it? Doesn't mean he is a bad egg, that he wont put in the effort or that he wont perform.

Why had no one else taken a "punt" on Dack before we did? You could apply that logic to every player, ultimately there will be a series of reasons, the chairman there has been stubborn regarding the clause in his contract being paid in full as is his right, so perhaps a big thing was simply financial and indeed Hull seemingly could only afford him on a loan deal.

The only reasonable evidence given has been that he wanted more money which is not evidence at all.

Your theory on wages is somewhat hypothetical although backed up by the chairman saying that he partly turned down Charlton for financial reasons. Why is that an any way a negative or a reason to doubt his personality? Everyone is somewhat driven by money, why would he not wait out for more money if he could get it? Doesn't mean he is a bad egg, that he wont put in the effort or that he wont perform.

Why had no one else taken a "punt" on Dack before we did? You could apply that logic to every player, ultimately there will be a series of reasons, the chairman there has been stubborn regarding the clause in his contract being paid in full as is his right, so perhaps a big thing was simply financial and indeed Hull seemingly could only afford him on a loan deal.

The only reasonable evidence given has been that he wanted more money which is not evidence at all.

Not only Charlton but Brum ..

Speaking on his YouTube channel [as cited by the Birmingham Mail] about the Blues’ link with the midfielder, Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony said: “Birmingham came back with a second offer (on January 18) and we felt at that stage that he’d definitely go as Marcus told me himself he’s definitely go to Birmingham.

“But then it came down to money and he didn’t want to go there.

“His agents dragged it out, he dragged it out and it wasn’t happening.

MacAnthony later revealed: “The Birmingham thing dragged on and eventually they pulled out because obviously they got tired of the nonsense and I don’t blame them for that.”

Anyway enough of Maddison you don't know ..I don't know  ..don't take this personal but when you get on a subject Roversfan99 ..it tends to go on n on n on for days ...and im sure everyone else has had enough Marcus so ill shut up now !.?

• Like 2