BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anybody else sick of reading about Marcus bloody Maddison day in day out? 

yes. Roversfan99 is never going accept the Peterborough Chairman comments on Maddison or the fact that despite his great stats Clubs have never bought in. Rovers didn't sign him. end of story. 

3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Maybe, you could add Speedie?

I get your implication, but I do think it is a bit more complicated than that. There is an argument for considering the impact of a player on the atmosphere and culture. I know it shouldn't just be about cosiness, but also include willingness to challenge others etc.

Now I happen to know that Bellamy is supposed to be a bit of a bully. He consistently targeted Pedersen-according to Micky Gray, anyway.

Bellamy's own performances for Rovers were excellent, but could his behaviour have had a negative impact on Pedersen's or others' performances?

These are valid issues for a manager to consider imo.

Yes speedie for sure . Talent often comes with baggage . Look at the music world . 
Bellamy did target mgp. This was confirmed at source at the mgp night 

Edited by Inglorious basturk

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

yes. Roversfan99 is never going accept the Peterborough Chairman comments on Maddison or the fact that despite his great stats Clubs have never bought in. Rovers didn't sign him. end of story. 

That wasn’t the end of your story though ,  you have dismissed him as rubbish . Had we signed him he would have been the second coming 

• Like 2

Bellamy definitely worked out here but I think we got lucky with him, maybe down to having Hughes as the boss, someone that Bellamy probably had a lot of respect for as a Welsh great.

I’d rather we didn’t sign players with questionable attitudes and I support TM when he takes personality into consideration before making a signing. For every Bellamy that works out there is a Leon Best who becomes an expensive mistake.

I’m sure we’re all aware of workplaces where one or two bad apples can poison the atmosphere. I’d imagine that football clubs are no different in this regard and with everything stake there is no sense in jeopardising what seems to be a united dressing room. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Yes speedie for sure . Talent often comes with baggage . Look at the music world . 

Oh, I didn't know that.

Meanwhile, Bellamy's golf club antics wouldn't be good for most places of work, dressing rooms or anywhere healthy...

• Backroom

To be fair to Tony it's been some turnaround in the past couple of months. On October 22 when a BRFCS poll was put up for him to stay or go it was 203/21 (90%/10%) in favour of him leaving. I imagine if we redid the poll now it would be drastically different. 

Not saying anybody was wrong to want TM out at the time (I was one of them!) but it's quite remarkable to see the turnaround since then. Not that he's achieved anything yet and we could still end up finishing in mid-table obscurity, but I don't think many of us would have believed at that time we would be in genuine playoff contention by the end of February. Have to admit I'm not sure exactly how he's done it, but Mowbray has come back from an abyss that many managers never escape from in terms of fan perception and team performance. I think a lot of it comes down to the players genuinely liking him and wanting to play for him, despite some of the odd decisions he makes. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 7

Found this opinion piece on Mowbrays signings an interesting read:

http://roverschat.com/ranking-tony-mowbrays-signings-15-to-1/

http://roverschat.com/ranking-tony-mowbrays-signings-29-to-16/

You look at the first list, and I think even within that top half, the likes of Holtby, Rothwell, Cunningham, (due to injury) Samuel, Antonsson, Bell and Gallagher range from the jury still being out and difficult to judge them as an out and out success as of yet, to potentially even failure. His transfer record is very flaky, albeit the top 2 are big assets.

I think during his time in charge, his main work aside from man management has been relying on the likes of Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis, all of whom he has developed, especially Travis.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You look at the first list, and I think even within that top half, the likes of Holtby, Rothwell, Cunningham, (due to injury) Samuel, Antonsson, Bell and Gallagher range from the jury still being out and difficult to judge them as an out and out success as of yet, to potentially even failure. His transfer record is very flaky, albeit the top 2 are big assets.

I think during his time in charge, his main work aside from man management has been relying on the likes of Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis, all of whom he has developed, especially Travis.

Yes my thoughts too. Not sure many could be classed as successes at this moment in time. A lot of even the top list seem decent rather than good. 

The positive is that a number of them still have time to change this perception. Gally, Bell, Samuel for example all have the potential to come good. Whether they will is a different matter but if it is disappointing there aren't more obvious successes (and listed like this it shows TM isn't that strong in the transfer market) the positive is that a number can do an Armstrong and change that perception. Here's hoping that happens as it isn't great reading currently. 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

To be fair to Tony it's been some turnaround in the past couple of months. On October 22 when a BRFCS poll was put up for him to stay or go it was 203/21 (90%/10%) in favour of him leaving. I imagine if we redid the poll now it would be drastically different. 

Not saying anybody was wrong to want TM out at the time (I was one of them!) but it's quite remarkable to see the turnaround since then. Not that he's achieved anything yet and we could still end up finishing in mid-table obscurity, but I don't think many of us would have believed at that time we would be in genuine playoff contention by the end of February. Have to admit I'm not sure exactly how he's done it, but Mowbray has come back from an abyss that many managers never escape from in terms of fan perception and team performance. I think a lot of it comes down to the players genuinely liking him and wanting to play for him, despite some of the odd decisions he makes. 

Exactly the same way that Venkys emerged unscathed from months of protests. Ride out the storm because they hold all the cards.

At other clubs, and in years gone by at Rovers, the board acts when fans turn.

That said, Mowbray gets the absolute minimum of grief in the ground. “Tony sort it out” is the absolute worst that has been said in three years. Kean and Coyle have seriously impacted the expectations (and demands) of fans.

And there’s nothing wrong with that per se, it’s a view. But it’s part of the reason why we have minimal crowds and next to no atmosphere. That combined with prohibitive walk on prices.

• Like 5

Just now, Stuart said:

Exactly the same way that Venkys emerged unscathed from months of protests. Ride out the storm because they hold all the cards.

At other clubs, and in years gone by at Rovers, the board acts when fans turn.

That said, Mowbray gets the absolute minimum of grief in the ground. “Tony sort it out” is the absolute worst that has been said in three years. Kean and Coyle have seriously impacted the expectations (and demands) of fans.

And there’s nothing wrong with that per se, it’s a view. But it’s part of the reason why we have minimal crowds and next to no atmosphere. That combined with prohibitive walk on prices.

Do we have minimal crowds ?

Your admission that the supporters continue to support the manager is interesting; I can see no reason why that would have a negative effect on the atmosphere. Logic would suggest it helps.

On 19 February 2020 at 15:26, Inglorious basturk said:

Bellamy was a brilliant player for Rovers. After Shearer, Friedel and Tugay, the fourth best Rovers player I've seen. But he was unpopular with some in the dressing room. Nelsen hated him. Prob cos of how he was with Pedersen and others.

29 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think the majority, myself included, were very frustrated with what we were seeing which seemed to be a never ending cycle of repeating similar mistakes stretching back over more than 12 months and very little suggestion that things were going to change for the better. 

Preston away was the nadir and I make no secret that after that particular horror show I would have waved Mowbray off with thanks and replaced him. That didn't happen, it probably was never even a possibility, but it was clear around that time including after the Barnsley win that things weren't quite right, the fans were unhappy and Mowbray wasn't comfortable. 

Very easy to sit here now 5 months on after things have picked up. That's the beauty of hindsight. Of course Mowbray, his confidants and some fans will do the 'i told you so' routine but that can carry on forever in football if you give it long enough. I don't subscribe to the theory that Venkys are backing some long term project. I just think they don't care or pay attention and are happy to leave Mowbray to it because they like him. They did the same with Kean and it ruined us, so thankfully this time we've got someone likeable, trustworthy who is also a decent manager and has been able to turn it around. Some people always want to try and take the highground when there's never any guarantee any particular course of action or in our case no action is going to result in an improvement. 

I also think this good run of form has really crept up on us and rivals - we haven't really appeared as a side taking things by storm yet we've quietly gone about becoming hard to beat. We've also managed to dispatch teams e.g. Bristol City and Charlton away in clinical fashion. We've managed to get our home form back towards what it was last season where we don't ever seem to play particularly well but don't lose games, whilst away from home we've started picking up some good wins, built upon a solid defence.

Long may it continue. First few months of the season i was quite despondent about things and wasn't really enjoying games or how we were playing and wasn't seeing much sign of any progress. Since Xmas I am seeing positive signs and indicators of progress. Lets see what unfolds over the rest of the season.

Problem I have is lets suppose we get to 7th or 8th come end of the season. From there we need to invest, be decisive and move quickly to plug gaps and get ready to hit the ground running next year. I don't think that is ever going to be an option under this regime which is why we usually start off slowly and by the end of the season aren't in the mix because we've been playing catch up for so long. 

A very good and fair post that’s sums up pretty much how I feel

1 hour ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Bellamy was a brilliant player for Rovers. After Shearer, Friedel and Tugay, the fourth best Rovers player I've seen. But he was unpopular with some in the dressing room. Nelsen hated him. Prob cos of how he was with Pedersen and others.

No way duff and jansen a million times better

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

When Bell is the 14th best signing out of 29 - it shows that we have signed some tosh. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 3

Good write up of the 3 year anniversary in the LT.

But of course, can’t be the Telegraph without a glaring error - apparently TM is the first manager since Souness to clock up 3 years... apart from the near 4 years of Mark Hughes, of course!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18250919.mowbray-saw-rovers-a-project-approaches-milestone/

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Good write up of the 3 year anniversary in the LT.

But of course, can’t be the Telegraph without a glaring error - apparently TM is the first manager since Souness to clock up 3 years... apart from the near 4 years of Mark Hughes, of course!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18250919.mowbray-saw-rovers-a-project-approaches-milestone/

He's also 56, not 57 until late this year. Nearly right though.

15 hours ago, JHRover said:

Preston away was the nadir and I make no secret that after that particular horror show I would have waved Mowbray off with thanks and replaced him. That didn't happen, it probably was never even a possibility, but it was clear around that time including after the Barnsley win that things weren't quite right, the fans were unhappy and Mowbray wasn't comfortable. 

Preston was awful performance after being 2 nil up and playing well and to a plan. So to crumble like we did was extremely disappointed. 

I said after the Barnsley home game that I honestly thought Mowbray would have walk away after the game if we didn't win. But that game has been catalyst for us climbing the league table and being where we are now. Did Mowbray and the players have a team meeting after that game and clear the air talks.(Just a suggestion btw)

I don't subscribe to the theory that Venkys are backing some long term project. I just think they don't care or pay attention and are happy to leave Mowbray to it because they like him. They did the same with Kean and it ruined us, so thankfully this time we've got someone likeable, trustworthy who is also a decent manager and has been able to turn it around.

I think they are paying plenty of attention to the club and what is happening, games, social media and what fans think. They aren't stupid people and they have number of high profile mistakes and decisions that cost us.  Venkys clearly like Mowbray as manager. They find him trustworthy and honest to them. Something that appeal to them. 

Problem I have is lets suppose we get to 7th or 8th come end of the season. From there we need to invest, be decisive and move quickly to plug gaps and get ready to hit the ground running next year. I don't think that is ever going to be an option under this regime which is why we usually start off slowly and by the end of the season aren't in the mix because we've been playing catch up for so long. 

This is where you hope Mowbray and his recruitment have targets ready to move right now. Talking to their club and Players agents. I expected majority of signings will be foreign 

Edited by chaddyrovers

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think they are paying plenty of attention to the club and what is happening, games, social media and what fans think. They aren't stupid Football and they have number of high profile mistakes and decisions that cost us.  Venkys clearly like Mowbray as manager. They find him trustworthy and honest to them. Something that appeal to them

You know all this how?

• Like 1