BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

You make a good point and no one can say we’ve wasted £12m on anyone. BB is 20yrs old and will continue to progress whilst Sam Gallagher hasn’t even played a full season for us. 

The Brereton one looks like a waste to me. Gallagher looks way overpriced, as well.

Only blue and white tinted spectacles(like my own) and wishful thinking stand in the way of accepting those two assertions!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DE. said:

I remember very few people complaining about Armstrong's fee in all honesty. Gripes about his performances were purely based on his perceived value to the team at the time and other options which weren't being explored. Armstrong did go through a period of repeated poor performances and kept getting selected. Any player and manager would come under some criticism for that. His fee, as far as I remember, was rarely brought up in a negative sense or to compound the issue in any way. Armstrong just wasn't performing at the level we needed. Obviously that's changed and long may it continue. 

I think his fee looked worth a punt across the board. He drove mad for ages,looked lazy with no end product. What can I say now though? Looks a savage player. I got it wrong. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roverandout said:

If he gets rovers promoted,  I would seriously consider binning him and bringing in a proven manager. It worked for Southampton when they got rid of Adkins for pocettino.  No good going up and struggling like villa have done

Did they do that straight away before the season started? 

I think you would need to be sure of what you are doing. The premier League is difficult for any manager. If Villa win the league cup,I think their fans would disagree with you. I am sure some disagree anyway. 

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think his fee looked worth a punt across the board. He drove mad for ages,looked lazy with no end product. What can I say now though? Looks a savage player. I got it wrong. 

I think most of us did to be fair. As you say he looked totally ineffective for long periods, but since Dack has been injured Arma has really stepped up. 

• Like 2

At least the Propaganda Unit at Ewood are earning their wages and FFP deductible, I guess.

I watched the vid, it was actually ok and nowhere near as embarrassing as I expected it to be.

If he gets us promoted I expect Ewood to be renamed Mowbray Park.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s 20yrs old ffs!? Remove his price tag and he’s basically John Buckley, Magloire, Butterworth or JRC but living miles from home! I’m not saying he’s been a success so far but writing off a player who isn’t even 21 and has represented his country at U18 and U19 level as well as making 78 appearances in the Championship with an ‘acknowledgement’ that he’s not good enough is lunacy. 

He isn't though at this level and common sense would be to loan him out. 

On the price tag sadly that will define him at Rovers i'm afraid and to say remove it is nonsense. They paid that premium for that young player because they thought he was ready to burst onto the scene as he was. No amount of sugar coating it can get away from that i wish you'd remove yourself from your 'insider everybody knows better' bubble and come to grips with it.

Of course he might carve out a career as he gets a bit more physically developed but we've seen it so many times in football how these things go. Also the U18 and U19s is irrelevant now the lower leagues, non league and football scrapheap have been littered with similar. Many other decent players have been nowhere near it either.

By the way wanting him sending out on loan isn't writing him off it's actually the opposite.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Blue blood said:

This threw me as I couldn't remember saying such a thing, then realised it was part of the post I quoted! 

I think there is an argument that both Gally and Bereton could come good as they have time on their side to develop but I wouldn't think it is very likely. Bereton doesn't look like a footballer at all to me and Gally doesn't look to have much of a football brain if he does have the physical attributes. 

At present, since how a player may turn out doesn't really count - Dack could come back crap or Armstrong could go back to his prior form yet these possibilities aren't considered, and rightly so - both are failures in terms of performance level and contribution. Factor in the cost and they're catastrophic errors. Not sure why or how there is so much debate on saying these players haven't been failures as it's pretty clear cut imo. 

Sorry, my apologies! I've stuffed up here. I would never intentionally inflict Paul's words on you-----or anybody! Very good post too (from you!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Truth hurts ?

Yeah right:

to quote "He’s 20yrs old ffs!? Remove his price tag and he’s basically John Buckley, Magloire, Butterworth or JRC but living miles from home!"

The truth in that statement is the current age of the player; who turns 21 in just 7 weeks time.

Mind you I got a laugh out of the player comparisons, with Buckley and JRC in particular. That has nothing to do with fees, just about being a footballer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yeah right:

to quote "He’s 20yrs old ffs!? Remove his price tag and he’s basically John Buckley, Magloire, Butterworth or JRC but living miles from home!"

The truth in that statement is the current age of the player; who turns 21 in just 7 weeks time.

Mind you I got a laugh out of the player comparisons, with Buckley and JRC in particular. That has nothing to do with fees, just about being a footballer.

He's also thrown in the living away from home line as well that TM has used for every single signing he's made that hasn't shown much.

Gladwin, Whittingham, Samuel, Gally earlier on and of course Ben.

Then you look at Shearer leaving Geordieland at 15 to go to Southampton or Duff coming over here from Ireland at about 13. Then you factor in most of the lads mentioned have left home young to go to clubs previous to Rovers and draw the conclusion it's just a convenient excuse to chuck in in most cases.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Then you look at Shearer leaving Geordieland at 15 to go to Southampton or Duff coming over here from Ireland at about 13. Then you factor in most of the lads mentioned have left home young to go to clubs previous to Rovers and draw the conclusion it's just a convenient excuse to chuck in in most cases.

Raya, Hoillet----I'm sure there's a very long list if I can get my brain to work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Raya, Hoillet----I'm sure there's a very long list if I can get my brain to work.

Anybody might be forgiven for thinking it's actually part and parcel of the game and something they might actually consider before signing.

• Like 5

On 25/02/2020 at 16:09, tomphil said:

He's also thrown in the living away from home line as well that TM has used for every single signing he's made that hasn't shown much.

Gladwin, Whittingham, Samuel, Gally earlier on and of course Ben.

Hilarious, Brereton is from Stoke, maybe the lad needs Google Maps

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 15:24, Mattyblue said:

But there’s always the chance he never fulfils the potential he showed at U18 level. Many don’t, the game is littered with examples of ‘whatever happened to...’, 

Let’s hope he isn’t another for all parties concerned... but that’s why £7million was a hell of a punt for a club like us.

If you look back at England Youth teams loads more fall by the wayside than make it to the top. If you get 2 or 3 out of 11 playing in the Prem you are doing really well. 4 or 5 will be playing non league after a few years. Even in the past when they had an U-23 team were you'd think they'd all be playing at the top level already plenty fell by the wayside.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces