BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you look back at England Youth teams loads more fall by the wayside than make it to the top. If you get 2 or 3 out of 11 playing in the Prem you are doing really well. 4 or 5 will be playing non league after a few years. Even in the past when they had an U-23 team were you'd think they all be playing at the top level already plenty fell by the wayside.

Well not many of them will command 6/7 million price tags before they are shaving that's for sure.  Be interesting to see how many actually have ?

Another Venky era ground breaker probably.

Because we're sitting pretty in midtable, people are happy to keep giving Mowbray the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I think all the talk of a "slow build" is a stalling tactic and wishful thinking. We heard the same thing under Bowyer. "He's stabilised the club, he's signed some good players, we're just off the playoffs!" but tomorrow never came. Sometimes a manager can only take you so far. We've dropped too many points from winning positions or against lowly teams, with or without the likes of Dack. The manager has to carry the can for that. Tactically we cannot keep up performance levels or figure out strategies to break stubborn teams down, and spending £12m on two strikers who have contributed the grand sum of jack shit didn't help either. 

• Like 1

I can see us starting next season with AN other keeper similar to Walton or a youngster signed late in the window, prob on loan.

Nyambie or Bennett if Ryan is sold, AN other loaned in kid after Lenihen is sold ( one of them will need to be i'm sure), Williams, Bell

Up front the same but with Samuel retained and Graham gone.

I wouldn't class it as a slow build really it's just doing enough to get by as we are.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I can see us starting next season with AN other keeper similar to Walton or a youngster signed late in the window, prob on loan.

Nyambie or Bennett if Ryan is sold, AN other loaned in kid after Lenihen is sold ( one of them will need to be i'm sure), Williams, Bell

Up front the same but with Samuel retained and Graham gone.

I wouldn't class it as a slow build really it's just doing enough to get by as we are.

No,I reckon there would be much more movement in than that. We signed 7 last summer. 

I also don't think one of Lenihan and Nyambe will need to be sold. I have a feeling it will be Armstrong. Lenihan might push for a move though,but I don't think Nyambe would. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No,I reckon there would be much more movement in than that. We signed 7 last summer. 

I also don't think one of Lenihan and Nyambe will need to be sold. I have a feeling it will be Armstrong. Lenihan might push for a move though,but I don't think Nyambe would. 

I'm just thinking given the finances with regard to FFP the focus will be more on the outgoings and getting wages down again. 

Also i don't think any will push for a move but there will be quite a bit of interest and the need to comply will be the driving factor. I think they'll slap too much of a tag on AA to be honest but one of the other two will be tempting enough for a serious bid.

I don't mind be a bit leaner and meaner it suits Mowbrays methods far better imo as long as incomings are focused on quality rather than back ups.

• Like 1

• Backroom

If you're going to comment on an interview please try to link it as well, otherwise remarks are lost in a vacuum of non-context.

I assume you're referring to this interview: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18269866.no-points-target-set-mowbray-wants-continual-improvement/

Can't say there's much I disagree with there in all honesty, particularly the comment on form tables being largely nonsense. 

• Like 1

tony`s gradual improvement policy is so slow by the time we are launching a promotion bid he`ll be getting a telegram from the queen,there is no ambition in the man and from what i see on the pitch,half the squad are content to just pick up their wages,i just hope he decided to pack it in at the end of the season,our club needs a fresh approach

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, DE. said:

If you're going to comment on an interview please try to link it as well, otherwise remarks are lost in a vacuum of non-context.

I assume you're referring to this interview: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18269866.no-points-target-set-mowbray-wants-continual-improvement/

Can't say there's much I disagree with there in all honesty, particularly the comment on form tables being largely nonsense. 

‘No points target set’.

Apart from the 70 point one Mowbray mentioned at the start of the season.....
So, that wasn’t a target? I’m confused.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

What is funny is this emerging rhetoric that TM hasn’t had anything to do with the influx of successful young players into the first team. 

It’s like saying Sir Alex Ferguson had nothing to do with the success of Scholes, Giggs and Beckham etc! They must’ve got there because of Brian Kidd hey? Or maybe a chance chat chat with Denis Irwin? The manager is ultimately responsible. If you’re going to blame him for everything that goes wrong then you have to be prepared to give him credit for the successes.

Tony Mowbray has statistically given more academy players their debuts in 3yrs than any other Rovers manager in the last 30yrs. Nyambe, Travis, Lenihan, Raya, Buckley, JRC, Butterworth, Magloire etc are on him ultimately. No one else! 

• Like 2

The spin of giving Mowbray credit for Lenihan, Nyambe and Raya is superb.

Like Yardley with his spin after the game yesterday, "this team never gives up".

Someone needs to tell him we have picked up 5 points from losing positions this season.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

What is funny is this emerging rhetoric that TM hasn’t had anything to do with the influx of successful young players into the first team. 

It’s like saying Sir Alex Ferguson had nothing to do with the success of Scholes, Giggs and Beckham etc! They must’ve got there because of Brian Kidd hey? Or maybe a chance chat chat with Denis Irwin? The manager is ultimately responsible. If you’re going to blame him for everything that goes wrong then you have to be prepared to give him credit for the successes.

Tony Mowbray has statistically given more academy players their debuts in 3yrs than any other Rovers manager in the last 30yrs. Nyambe, Travis, Lenihan, Raya, Buckley, JRC, Butterworth, Magloire etc are on him ultimately. No one else! 

Spin.

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Great story, but Lenihan, Raya and Nyambe had played for the first team before he arrived.

Lenihan was a regular with 50 games under his belt, Nyambe about 20.

Missed my point. I said the emerging rhetoric that Mowbray has had NOTHING to do with the emergence of those players. It’s a ridiculous notion.

Theres a genuine school of thought on here amongst some that Travis broke through in spite of Mowbray. A couple even suggesting that the fans were the reason for Travs emergence. Let that sink in. ????

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

You need to be clearer then, you talked about the plethora of players he’s given debuts to from the academy, and then listed academy grads.

You can spin stats anyway you want, another take would be only Travis is a regular starter from players he’s given debuts to.

(I think he’s been good with youth, by the way, but using Lenihan as an example is pushing it).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You need to be clearer then, you talked about the plethora of players he’s given debuts to from the academy, and then listed academy grads.

You can spin stats anyway you want, another take would be only Travis is a regular starter from players he’s given debuts to.

(I think he’s been good with youth, by the way, but using Lenihan as an example is pushing it).

I thought by starting my post with this statement was clear. 

What is funny is this emerging rhetoric that TM hasn’t had anything to do with the influx of successful young players into the first team. “

I can see how it might have been interpreted differently afterwards with my reference to debutants etc but that was just corroborative and relevant information to my initial point. For what it’s worth, I think Lenihan was on a successful path with or without Mowbray so his impact is less but oppositely, Nyambe has been managed fantastically well by him. Could’ve gone either way and Mowbray has made him a real player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I thought by starting my post with this statement was clear. 

What is funny is this emerging rhetoric that TM hasn’t had anything to do with the influx of successful young players into the first team. “

I can see how it might have been interpreted differently afterwards with my reference to debutants etc but that was just corroborative and relevant information to my initial point. For what it’s worth, I think Lenihan was on a successful path with or without Mowbray so his impact is less but oppositely, Nyambe has been managed fantastically well by him. Could’ve gone either way and Mowbray has made him a real player.

Nyambe is finally showing what many of us thought he had but giving Mowbray praise for this is debatable. He has had him on the bench for big chunks of this season preferring to play Bennett. One of the criticisms of Nyambe was his lack of penetration going forward as his preference was sideways or backwards. Another was a perceived lack of confidence. These two issues only seem to have been addressed in the last couple of months. Mowbray has been here three years. To say he has been managed fantastically well is really pushing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Great story, but Lenihan, Raya and Nyambe had played for the first team before he arrived.

Lenihan was a regular with 50 games under his belt, Nyambe about 20.

Both have become better players since Mowbray arrived. Raya was marginally better I'd say. 

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Nyambe is finally showing what many of us thought he had but giving Mowbray praise for this is debatable. He has had him on the bench for big chunks of this season preferring to play Bennett. One of the criticisms of Nyambe was his lack of penetration going forward as his preference was sideways or backwards. Another was a perceived lack of confidence. These two issues only seem to have been addressed in the last couple of months. Mowbray has been here three years. To say he has been managed fantastically well is really pushing it.

Nyambe hasn’t been at this level until now. In the matches he played last season he was often targeted. I can think of a couple of games where he was absolutely roasted. Preston away was the worst...

But I really don’t want to go off on a tangent here. My point is that Mowbray HAS played a positive part in all of the successes of those players. Some more so, some less so. But ultimately as the manager he is responsible for the positives AND negatives during his tenure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Missed my point. I said the emerging rhetoric that Mowbray has had NOTHING to do with the emergence of those players. It’s a ridiculous notion.

Theres a genuine school of thought on here amongst some that Travis broke through in spite of Mowbray. A couple even suggesting that the fans were the reason for Travs emergence. Let that sink in. ????

Be fair - he was going out on loan though. But for Smallwood's red he wouldn't have been in the team and Mowbray did initially play him right back (he likes a square peg in a round hole, often a young one too).  The fans have nothing to do with it. I must say, if the rest of the players left everything on the pitch like he does, we'd have far more points.

16 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Be fair - he was going out on loan though. But for Smallwood's red he wouldn't have been in the team and Mowbray did initially play him right back (he likes a square peg in a round hole, often a young one too).  The fans have nothing to do with it. I must say, if the rest of the players left everything on the pitch like he does, we'd have far more points.

I get your point about the loan. There’s no doubt that Trav changed his mind with performances but that doesn’t mean Mowbray didn’t rate him. Far from it.

Trav was a RB by trade. Has spent the last 15 months (since  ending Smallwoods Rovers career) working tirelessly with the coaching staff to understand that position (CM) and learning to deal with threats and decision  all around him and not just what’s on the left of him (as a rb does). His development has been incredible. I reckon if you watched a video of him when he broke through to now you’d be blown away. He always had great athletic prowess and mental drive but his awareness, range of passing, ability to sniff out danger and manoeuvre out of tight spaces with the ball have improved immeasurably. Add to that game management and the fact that he wins man of the match most games and I think there will be some big interest in him in the summer.  

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Totally agree Paul. Mowbray and his staff have improve our players like Armstrong, Lenihan, Nyambe. 

Plus bringing through players like Buckley, Rankin Costello, Travis into the first team. And there is more in the pipeline like Carter, Thompson, Hilton, Whitehall. 

Good times ahead

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Nyambe hasn’t been at this level until now. In the matches he played last season he was often targeted. I can think of a couple of games where he was absolutely roasted. Preston away was the worst...

But I really don’t want to go off on a tangent here. My point is that Mowbray HAS played a positive part in all of the successes of those players. Some more so, some less so. But ultimately as the manager he is responsible for the positives AND negatives during his tenure.

I saw a recent interview with Nyambe where he heaped praise on Damien Johnson for his work with him.

• Like 1