BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Losing in the play-offs does not equate success. 

Talk to any Rovers fan 40+ and ask them about the Crystal Palace ‘89 play off final and they will still shudder; ‘one of the worst days ever as a Rovers fan’, ‘awful’. My dad can’t listen to ‘Glad All Over’, the Palace party song to this day.

I don’t recall many saying... ‘ah well, at least it was a successful season’, it wasn’t, we lost.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Losing in the play-offs does not equate success. 

Talk to any Rovers fan 40+ and ask them about the Palace ‘89 play off final and they will still shudder; ‘one of the worst days ever as a Rovers fan’, ‘awful’. My dad can’t listen to ‘Glad All Over’, the Palace song to this day.

I don’t recall many saying... ‘but it was a successful season’, it wasn’t, we lost.

Mowbray said the aim was the play offs. This is pointed out on here enough, usually to criticize him. 

Here is the definition of success 

Screenshot_20200305-145830_Chrome.jpg

Case closed. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

We hit an arbitrary target of TM and it’s case closed? I’m taking about the club, you know that thing that’s been here for 150 years and will be after TM departs.

TM wants to progress the club, I do. Top 6 helps to do that. However, losing play offs doesn’t not equate to success. Getting to a cup final is great also, shows you are a good side, not a success if you lose it.

I’m not sure you understand the point of professional sport BDS.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray said the aim was the play offs. This is pointed out on here enough, usually to criticize him. 

Here is the definition of success 

Screenshot_20200305-145830_Chrome.jpg

Case closed. 

So if your going off this, if we finish 7th and 2 points off the play offs, I presume the season is a failure?

• Like 1

That's the problem with play offs, really. It's one almighty crush. If we lost in the play offs I wouldn't consider it a success, although I would differentiate between a seasons success and it.

Once, if, we get into the play offs then our season objective turns from getting into the play offs to winning them. If we don't win them, we've failed. When you take a general look back on the season though we at least put ourselves in the position and we go again next year with the idea that the only way is up. 

You don't have a season objective to get into the play offs and then lose and consider a success. You aim to get into the play offs because you think a) we may fail at getting into the top 2 and b) we can win promotion under them circumstances.

On the back of a pay off loss would I sack the manager? Fuck no but, if we are being pedantic, I also wouldn't say he had a 'successful' season, I'd say he had a good season but needs improvement.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Like how Chaddy is now just copying Mani’s tactical view from yesterday about inverted wide men and full backs providing the width. :D

‘Our wide men don’t play wide’.?

mentioned it over the last few weeks but you ignore it

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Course you did

well I suggested you look at Paul Mani who says I've mention it long before he did. Plus roversfan99 back that up aswell. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You did but you struggle to comprehend that the way Mowbray plays (like any manager) and the most effective way are not always the same thing.

Well we don't know if your way of play would benefit or actually make us worse results wise. We simply don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

If our ‘wide men don’t play wide’, what are they then? :huh:

If you watched the matches and understood football, you wouldn’t be asking that question. Perhaps you should have a private chat with your pal mr ‘elite football’ he’ll know the answer surely? ?

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

For a start, the target is a top 6 finish, ergo our current finish would be slightly below expectation. I know that it isnt as simple as that and think we are doing ok but your justification is bizarre, to imply that being close to expectations means that the team cannot be criticised in any way is ridicilious even for you.

But just as you can have a functional element of a poor team, you can have a dysfunctional aspect of one performing well. We have Lenihan and Adarabioyo at CB, Travis and Downing in midfield and have had the goals of Dack and now Armstrong, all strengths through our team. We are far better in central areas than in wide areas, with only Nyambe a strength and even he needs to improve his final ball. The wide areas HAVE NOT been a strength and all parts of the team are not equally responsible. Samuel, superb at Charlton in his natural position was totally ineffective v Swansea. Rothwell has done bugger all all season. 

I wanted a winger and we were linked with a few, Atsu is dog shit but that is totally irrrlevant to the fact that we need 2 good wide men. He wouldnt have fixed that either way.

if we finish just outside the top 6 I would consider the season an improvement and we are going in the right direction. I know some Rovers fans who would be happy with a top half finish this season. I have discussed over the past few weeks the way we played with our so called wide players so I wont go over time after time. 

I would say Samuel was good against Hull playing from the right side. 

With the way we are playing we deffo don't need 2 wide men as we have Rothwell, Rankin Costello, and plus 1 more signing. I could see Buckley playing next to Travis next season. 

• Like 1

Oh Mani.

I’m obviously picking up on the fact they can’t be ‘wide men’, if they don’t play wide, can they! Though I’m sure Gallagher spends most of his time toiling down the flank, but I’m sure your Jonty signed coaching manual will have a different term for it.

As for the Mr Elite football, please enlighten me?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Oh Mani.

I’m obviously picking up on the fact they can’t be ‘wide men’, if they don’t play wide, can they! Though I’m sure Gallagher spends most of his time toiling down the flank, but I’m sure your Jonty signed coaching manual will have a different term for it.

As for the Mr Elite football, please enlighten me?

Haha - mate, I can see how much you want to meet him. I can sort it no probs. Bring your scarf and a selfie stick.

Prob best if you actually start really watching the matches though. Build your knowledge base up ??

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

mentioned it over the last few weeks but you ignore it

well I suggested you look at Paul Mani who says I've mention it long before he did. Plus roversfan99 back that up aswell. 

Well we don't know if your way of play would benefit or actually make us worse results wise. We simply don't know. 

You could apply that logic to everything. We could put me in net and we dont know 100% for sure until wed tried it as to whether I would be the spectacular failure or not.

All I can see is that this wide striker bollocks has hindered the team more than it has helped it.

• Like 1

No I’ll learn from a guru like your good self Paul.

So where has Gallagher been playing for most of this season? As I’m pretty sure you’ve been posting too at a loss to why TM kept shunting him out wide? 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

On 04/03/2020 at 15:29, Paul Mani said:

Tbh I can’t defend the Gallagher one. It’s bewildering really as the position really needs a technician. The only reason I can think that they play him there is to provide an ‘out’ ball or target if we need one. I genuinely don’t see Gallagher playing there long term because I think he’ll fight with Armstrong for that top spot.

Yeah thought so.

You need to start watching the games and get an understanding, obviously.

Edited by Mattyblue

Based on our budget and expectation, top 6 IS success this season. This, in the main is because ‘top 6’ was our stated target and to hit your target is definitively success.

Of course the ultimate target is to go up but those now saying making the top six (and not going up) Is failure are the same people who predicted we’d be nowhere near the top end of the table and are now having to reassess their position because in spite of everything, we are still in the mix (yes, in the mix) with 10 games to go! 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha - mate, I can see how much you want to meet him. I can sort it no probs. Bring your scarf and a selfie stick.

Prob best if you actually start really watching the matches though. Build your knowledge base up ??

Did you ever enlighten us on if and how you know Jonty?!

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

You could apply that logic to everything. We could put me in net and we dont know 100% for sure until wed tried it as to whether I would be the spectacular failure or not.

All I can see is that this wide striker bollocks has hindered the team more than it has helped it.

well you could. You can suggest things that might make the team better but at the minute I think we are doing fairly goodish. I would like to see Rothwell not keep inside so much. I rather he played wider at times to stretch the play a bit. 

You complain that Gallagher is used as this wide striker bollocks you called it but you are very happy to do to Adam Armstrong who has been best striker this season. So why the double standards?

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No I’ll learn from a guru like your good self Paul.

So where has Gallagher been playing for most of this season? As I’m pretty sure you’ve been posting too at a loss to why TM kept shunting him out wide? 

(Still waiting - Mr Elite Football??)

I haven’t got time to babysit you pal. Just pay attention next time you’re at the match. ??

Im sure Mr Elite will ‘slide in’ to your DM’s soon. He loves you! ❤️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

I haven’t got time to babysit you pal. Just pay attention next time you’re at the match. ??

Im sure Mr Elite will ‘slide in’ to your DM’s soon. He loves you! ❤️

So you can’t explain the fact you’ve been moaning about SG playing wide, even though he doesn’t play wide. Fair enough.

As for the second paragraph, you 12 years old?