BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Such a bad mix...

- Players who look jaded, lacking confidence, or just plain demotivated - and of lesser abilities than when they arrived.

- A manager who doesn’t seem to recognise, let alone take, responsibility for his failings and is prepared to march on regardless making the same mistakes time after time.

- A board who appear to be happy with what the manager is doing and, according to one poster on here, would only have a decision to make if the manager walked into his office to say he has had enough.

- Owners who don’t seem to care one way or the other.

- Fans who are becoming increasingly apathetic and disenfranchised by an establishment that holds them in contempt.

Who exactly is in going to turn things around?

• Like 4

Share this poem:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling (30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936 / Bombay)

If - Poem by Rudyard Kipling

Autoplay next video

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

What is frustrating as hell is that there was nothing new, no surprises today.

Under TM we go on winless runs that are relegation worthy. (Thank goodness our winning runs are promotion worthy. Sadly the winning runs are rendered impotent by the bad ones.) 

Bennett is not a right back. 

Nayambe is miles better at right back then in the centre. 

We didn't have enough defenders in the squad. 

Bell isn't good enough for first choice. 

Gally is not a wide player/wide forward whatsoever. 

Bereton isn't a player whatsoever. 

Travis can't do all the dirty work in midfield on his own. 

We need to play to the strengths of our best player (Armstrong) and for our game around him. 

What part of this is news or wasn't known in November? Heck most of it was known this time last year. And yet none of these issues has been addressed. That's sheer negligence. That's utter incompetence. You can't legislate for a ton of injuries or dodgy pens against you but all the above mentioned issues were redeemable. All could have been dealt with at numerous points in this season and last. To not do so, i.e. to keep doing the same thing, is the definition of madness. 

What's most galling is despite these idocies we have a handy team, a strong first 11 and just by eliminating the stupid, obvious, oft-repeated mistakes, we would be waltzing into the playoffs. 

Rant over. 

Maybe more appropriate in this thread. He's not useless or we wouldn't be top half but this is surely why he has to go and has taken us as far as he can. 

Today summed up quite a few of TM's failings in one hit:

- Tactically poor

- Team shape a complete mess

- Working all week to prepare for the game (assumed) only to change players around after the initial set up proves ineffective

- playing Gallagher as an inside forward does not work

- playing Brereton as an inside forward does not work

- playing with inside forwards does not work

- Bennett is a million miles from being a starting RB in the championship

- He cannot get a consistent tune out of Armstrong

- The lack of investment in the back 4 has, once again, come back to bite us

- The lack of decent centre mids, a problem for a long time, remains a problem

Edited by davulsukur

Only 5pts won from losing positions all season.

Only 6pts won from losing positions during the whole of last season.

Basically, go a goal down under Mowbray and it's very unlikely you'll get back in it.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 7

37 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Only 5pts won from losing positions all season.

Only 6pts won from losing positions during the whole of last season.

Basically, go a goal down under Mowbray and it's very unlikely you'll get back in it.

Add in that we have dropped out 25 points from winning positions too!

Yet people tell me that Mowbray’s team doesn’t lack mental strength.

• Like 2

Today's game sounds like an example of why I don't think the play offs will happen this season (or probably next). We had the chance to get into the top 6, but played so badly, with unreliable players, we are now having to hope it was a one off but half expecting a bad run. Goodness knows whether we can keep the better players in our squad to try again next season but Mowbray's best would probably make us a team that can consistently finish 8th-12th. Which is fine if you're not bothered about promotion or keeping the likes of Dack, Travis and Lehinen here.

To get back into the premier league and repair the damage caused by Venky's, Jerome Anderson and Steve Kean we would need more.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2020 at 23:28, Bigdoggsteel said:

Stop being silly. I can have an opinion without naming names. 

I wouldn't go as far as an "agenda" anyway. More that they have painted themselves into a corner and acknowledging success would mean a lot of back tracking. Some posters contribution amounts to a few lines here and there complaining. I have no idea what they would post about if things went well and we got promoted. More than likely onto critisizing the manager for us not being prepared for the Premier league. 

What corner is anyone backing themselves into? Are you saying we are a sucessfull club? 

Edited by 47er

3 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Today's game sounds like an example of why I don't think the play offs will happen this season (or probably next). We had the chance to get into the top 6, but played so badly, with unreliable players, we are now having to hope it was a one off but half expecting a bad run. Goodness knows whether we can keep the better players in our squad to try again next season but Mowbray's best would probably make us a team that can consistently finish 8th-12th. Which is fine if you're not bothered about promotion or keeping the likes of Dack, Travis and Lehinen here.

To get back into the premier league and repair the damage caused by Venky's, Jerome Anderson and Steve Kean we would need more.

Reckon Lenihan will be off, Dack as well if he recovers fully. Travis----it will depend on how far we go to attempt to keep him.

We are just a feeder club if we can't get back in the Premiership. Can't compete on the wages front.

That last sentence is so true 47er. If promotion is not achieved this season, or next we'll be like Birmingham City, QPR, Cardiff. No realistic chance of advancement, producing the odd good player to be bought cheaply by teams on their way to be promoted or premier league teams taking a punt on a potential star. And I don't think Mowbray is good enough to get the club promoted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Reckon Lenihan will be off, Dack as well if he recovers fully. Travis----it will depend on how far we go to attempt to keep him.

We are just a feeder club if we can't get back in the Premiership. Can't compete on the wages front.

No club in the Championship can hope to compete with Premier League clubs on the wages front.

• Like 1

Mowbray has created a happy , harmonious squad but what he is badly failing to do is create a team.

we have a bunch of lads , some with ability , some with potential and some who shouldn’t be anywhere near a blue and white shirt that will defend one another on social media but haven’t built any on field relationships through lack of consistency playing together in the same position week in week out. 

this is resulting in a lack of fluidity and slowing down the game to a snails pace and it’s dull and hard to watch . I still have no idea what our best team is after three  years and I don’t even know who plays where best. I couldn’t tell you three or four players best position. It’s shambolic

Its been said before and I will say it again the likes of sheff united and Burnley got promoted with the same players and system who knew each other’s game to the point of telepathy. They were organised, difficult to break down and they would fight for everything as a team.  They know there role, position And who, what and where there team mates will be doing at all teams creating confidence in the player and the players around them giving an understanding and fluidity to play and all the time creating a team bond and understanding. That is the way you over achieve and have success  with a mid table squad of players and budget 

We really need our players to start forming some on field relationships and that won’t happen whilst Tony is playing champ manager 

I’m getting fed up of watching these young hard working lads getting shafted week in week out by there boss

its almost a coyle like attitude minus the donuts. This isn’t pontins it’s a professional sports club

on a separate note why do managers have to completely fail before clubs decide to change them. Why can’t we upgrade managers. I was happy with Matt Derbyshire playing but we still went out and got Santa Cruz which pushed us on another level. I was crying out for Nigel Pearson before he went to Watford and now Neil warnock is available and putting come get me feelers out on tv. Even the most ardent Mowbray supporter would struggle to argue warnock wouldn’t Be an improvement. Clubs improve the playing side all the time why do we have to wait for Mowbray to Be booed out of Ewood before uprgrading our manager ?

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 8

48 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Mowbray has created a happy , harmonious squad but what he is badly failing to do is create a team.

we have a bunch of lads , some with ability , some with potential and some who shouldn’t be anywhere near a blue and white shirt that will defend one another on social media but haven’t built any on field relationships through lack of consistency playing together in the same position week in week out. 

this is resulting in a lack of fluidity and slowing down the game to a snails pace and it’s dull and hard to watch . I still have no idea what our best team is after three  years and I don’t even know who plays where best. I couldn’t tell you three or four players best position. It’s shambolic

Its been said before and I will say it again the likes of sheff united and Burnley got promoted with the same players and system who knew each other’s game to the point of telepathy. They were organised, difficult to break down and they would fight for everything as a team.  They know there role, position And who, what and where there team mates will be doing at all teams creating confidence in the player and the players around them giving an understanding and fluidity to play and all the time creating a team bond and understanding. That is the way you over achieve and have success  with a mid table squad of players and budget 

We really need our players to start forming some on field relationships and that won’t happen whilst Tony is playing champ manager 

I’m getting fed up of watching these young hard working lads getting shafted week in week out by there boss

its almost a coyle like attitude minus the donuts. This isn’t pontins it’s a professional sports club

on a separate note why do managers have to completely fail before clubs decide to change them. Why can’t we upgrade managers. I was happy with Matt Derbyshire playing but we still went out and got Santa Cruz which pushed us on another level. I was crying out for Nigel Pearson before he went to Watford and now Neil warnock is available and putting come get me feelers out on tv. Even the most ardent Mowbray supporter would struggle to argue warnock wouldn’t Be an improvement. Clubs improve the playing side all the time why do we have to wait for Mowbray to Be booed out of Ewood before uprgrading our manager ?

You don’t have to wait, no. The fact of the matter is though it’s early March and we are 3 pts from play offs and have to play our rivals still. Despite the doom and gloom felt after yesterday’s capitulation the season is far from over. 

We’ve had bad spells like this before (Wigan, Blues around Christmas) and hopefully we can get back to winning ways next week vs an even poorer Bristol side. This league is changing by the match day and the last thing we need is a new manager right now. All this talk of “let someone have a look” is bollocks pal. Mowbray got us here, he said his aim was top 6 so let’s see the season out with him. If he doesn’t get it then you have to evaluate the season as a whole before deciding to get rid. 

I was as gutted as the next man about yesterday but somewhere in the middle of it all I think people forgot the grand scheme of things - 6th place is still open for business. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 47er said:

We were a feeder club in the premier League 

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We were a feeder club in the premier League 

Lets pack it all in then eh? 

On a serious note, its a matter of degree. You aren't any good with that are you? Its all black or white to you.

At least in the Premiership we are not at the bottom of the food chain.

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Lets pack it all in then eh? 

On a serious note, its a matter of degree. You aren't any good with that are you? Its all black or white to you.

At least in the Premiership we are not at the bottom of the food chain.

Black and white to me? Lol, that's the pot calling the kettle black ass there. 

We aren't at the bottom of the food chain now. So you are talking nonsense. As usual. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

All this "it's a big week" stuff is tosh imo. What's there to be optimistic about in it? This week we've shown whether it's teams struggling at the bottom of the table or promotion rivals, either way we will bottle it. 

That's the thing though for i don't actually think the players bottled it, or the manage. We started brightly they were grafting it was just an unholy mess of a set up that played right into Derby's hands. They just sat in and picked us off, excellent strike for the first but it was as clear as day it was coming. Oceans of space opened up every time all across the back inviting that on.

The formation, selection and tactics were about as wrong as you could get it was so obvious early on. The conductor was conducting the wrong tune on the day.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's the thing though for i don't actually think the players bottled it, or the manage. We started brightly they were grafting it was just an unholy mess of a set up that played right into Derby's hands. They just sat in and picked us off, excellent strike for the first but it was as clear as day it was coming. Oceans of space opened up every time all across the back inviting that on.

The formation, selection and tactics were about as wrong as you could get it was so obvious early on. The conductor was conducting the wrong tune on the day.

Thing is we got it wrong Vs Stoke and Swansea too. Perhaps it's ineptitude rather than bottling it but the result is the same. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Thing is we got it wrong Vs Stoke and Swansea too. Perhaps it's ineptitude rather than bottling it but the result is the same. 

Well we are constantly told by the manager what a great spirit these lot have and by players saying they're all in it together and they'd run through walls for the boss. There's been plenty evidence of that as well to be fair and yesterday if we'd pinched one back it would have been a grandstand finish.

Considering all that though it seems to me they follow the managers instructions pretty much to the letter so make of that what you will.