BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

42 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

All this "it's a big week" stuff is tosh imo. What's there to be optimistic about in it? This week we've shown whether it's teams struggling at the bottom of the table or promotion rivals, either way we will bottle it. 

Bristol, Wigan and Barnsley are teams we should win.

Like I say if we don't get at an absolute minimum 7pts from them games then I will admit to you there's nothing left to look forward to this season. 

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well we are constantly told by the manager what a great spirit these lot have and by players saying they're all in it together and they'd run through walls for the boss. There's been plenty evidence of that as well to be fair and yesterday if we'd pinched one back it would have been a grandstand finish.

Considering all that though it seems to me they follow the managers instructions pretty much to the letter so make of that what you will.

Do you honestly think that?

I think the lack of last minute equalisers/winners when we're chasing games, and the amount of points we have won from losing positions over the past 18 months tells a different story.

There's definitely something to your last line though, Mowbray I think is just very one dimensional, and just throws striker after striker onto the pitch when we're losing and it very rarely if ever works. 

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Like I say if we don't get at an absolute minimum 7pts from them games then I will admit to you there's nothing left to look forward to this season. 

It would be typical of Mowbray's Rovers to lose those 3 games and then go on and thump Leeds and West Brom, when there's bugger all to play for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Do you honestly think that?

I think the lack of last minute equalisers/winners when we're chasing games, and the amount of points we have won from losing positions over the past 18 months tells a different story.

There's definitely something to your last line though, Mowbray I think is just very one dimensional, and just throws striker after striker onto the pitch when we're losing and it very rarely if ever works. 

I do but get what you're saying i just think we are a bit too powderpuff and lacking in the physical stuff that catches us out time and again. Often later in games and of course a serious lack flair up the other end and on the bench which adds to the one dimensional theory.  The coaches here are nothing if they aren't conservative later in games.

Contrast that to Derby yesterday they came out at 2-0 up after half time and went for it to try and kill the game off. If that was us home or away we'd be tapping it around slowly trying to keep ball then the shut up shop subs or getting legs on to give them a run would take place. Followed by conceding !

• Like 2

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Bristol City we've beaten 1 in last 6 attempts. 

Wigan we've beaten 1 in last 5 attempts. 

Barnsley we've beaten 1 in last 4 attempts. 

Out of 15 matches against that opposition we've won 3 times. (20% wins)

Bear in mind 2 of the matches are away, and Wigan are currently 3rd in the form table and unbeaten in 6.

Suddenly, your confidence starts to look misplaced.  Although I would love you to be proved right. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Still a big week, the very good chance we bottle it doesn’t change that beforehand.

The fact nearly everyone else is also in bad form makes it even more so.

I can't believe anyone still believes it's "a big week" look how we've reacted for the last four "must win" games, looked like they couldn't be arsed and three points of which one was an extremely fortunate 94th minute draw against Swansea.

For me the season is as dead as a dodo and I can barely be bothered going on Saturday.  Imo yesterday was the last chance saloon to try and force ourselves into the reckoning. We needed three points and can't rely on everyone else continuing to drop points, sooner or later either someone above us will put a reasonable run together or we'll be gobbled up by a couple more of the sides behind us, we've already dropped behind Cardiff and Millwall during the recent poor run and there's no indication whatsoever we have the ability to turn it round or even that we're particularly bothered about doing so.

Pot Mowbray however and the situation changes completely. Game on. Unfortunately little chance of that happening so the season will fizzle out into another dismal lower mid table finish.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I can't believe anyone still believes it's "a big week" look how we've reacted for the last four "must win" games, looked like they couldn't be arsed and three points of which one was an extremely fortunate 94th minute draw against Swansea.

For me the season is as dead as a dodo and I can barely be bothered going on Saturday.  Imo yesterday was the last chance saloon to try and force ourselves into the reckoning. We needed three points and can't rely on everyone else continuing to drop points, sooner or later either someone above us will put a reasonable run together or we'll be gobbled up by a couple more of the sides behind us, we've already dropped behind Cardiff and Millwall during the recent poor run and there's no indication whatsoever we have the ability to turn it round or even that we're particularly bothered about doing so.

Pot Mowbray however and the situation changes completely. Game on. Unfortunately little chance of that happening so the season will fizzle out into another dismal lower mid table finish.

That last paragraph makes no sense. We have 9 games to go and sacking the manager all of a sudden gives us a chance of promotion? The same manager that put us in this position to begin with. 

We are 3 pts from 6th in March. There’s 27pts to be won between now and the end of the season.  I don’t for the life of me see how our season is over. 

Lastly we’ve been on bad spells before and came back so the idea that there’s no inclination it will change is wrong. History tells us Mowbray goes on losing streaks and winning streaks and we finish seasons strongly. I don’t doubt the despair at the moment but it certainly isn’t reason to not go to the game - we are still in this. 

37 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Of the 3 bookmakers who quote odds for teams getting in to the playoffs the longest price for us is 5/1 - 1 chance in 6 - which after taking account of the percentage in the bookmakers' favour means they assess our chances as around 1 in 7 . The poor old dodo would love to have a chance as good as that !

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think we can actually rely on others to drop points. It's inconceivable that a number of them will go on runs where they don't drop points. Actually more impossible, than inconceivable. 

"Pot Mowbray however and the situation changes completely" Yes, we now have no manager and are officially a laughing stock again. 

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I just find the man immensely dour and uninspiring.

I find him hugely passionate and great listen. 

For me, I would keep him for next summer and allow him to the signings we need for top 6 next season. People will disagree and that's fine with me. That's life. 

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, I would keep him for next summer and allow him to the signings we need for top 6 next season. People will disagree and that's fine with me. That's life. 

The elephant in the room will always be a transfer record "boasting" 2 waste of spaces for 12 million and more misses than hits. We are definitely in a better position than this time last year or this time when he joined but the next step is the biggest and his transfer record especially creates huge doubts as to whether he can achieve that or whether the rate of growth justifies the net spend in that time. Equally removing him could be seen as very harsh. I cant ever remember being so unsure about a managers future, usually I feel very much one or the other.

He talks a lot of shite but so do most managers so not too bothered about that.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51ad1f95c74ecfb63b317

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I feel like you will be saying this until the end of time.

I've never been totally convinced with Mowbray, but he has done what I have at least expected since relegation.

I just have a feeling it'll be the usual patch up job at the back this summer, and we'll still be seeing Bennett at right back this time next year when an injury or two occurs.

• Like 1

Mowbary, what can you say.  My belief is this, Mowbary has no intention if getting us promoted.  Just like Bowyer he know he is on a comfortable ride here.  Keep the owners happy by showing well thereby protecting his job.  It's self preservation, if we got promoted he would really have to work, he would fail and be fired.  Longevity if this cushy gig is all but guaranteed if we keep looking like we have a chance.  I think Bowyer did the same thing.  I can handle being beaten by a better team, I can handle losing to a bad decision or bad luck.  What is never, and never has been, acceptable is to roll over with no sign of effort or commitment.  Even in our dark third division days I always came away from games thinking that we at.least left it all out on the pitch.  This lot? Pffft.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

So we're Stoke and Swansea. Should is not happening for us at the moment. 

It's not that it isn't possible mathematically, it's the fact that under TM we clearly won't do it. We bottle chances to capitalise on what other teams have done, hinder ourselves with an unbalanced squad and players out of position, and have an Achilles Heel against teams that shut up shop. On paper we have a chance to get into the playoffs but in reality it simply won't happen because we make the same mistakes over and over. Until TM stops doing this we are going nowhere. He hasn't stopped in 3 years so no reason for it to happen now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

Mowbary, what can you say.  My belief is this, Mowbary has no intention if getting us promoted.  Just like Bowyer he know he is on a comfortable ride here.  Keep the owners happy by showing well thereby protecting his job.  It's self preservation, if we got promoted he would really have to work, he would fail and be fired.  Longevity if this cushy gig is all but guaranteed if we keep looking like we have a chance.  I think Bowyer did the same thing.  I can handle being beaten by a better team, I can handle losing to a bad decision or bad luck.  What is never, and never has been, acceptable is to roll over with no sign of effort or commitment.  Even in our dark third division days I always came away from games thinking that we at.least left it all out on the pitch.  This lot? Pffft.

I wish I could give this post 100 likes,

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think we can actually rely on others to drop points. It's inconceivable that a number of them will go on runs where they don't drop points. Actually more impossible, than inconceivable. 

"Pot Mowbray however and the situation changes completely" Yes, we now have no manager and are officially a laughing stock again. 

We have already seen them drop points, a lot of points - and we have failed to make up the ground. We should be in pole position for sixth place now and we aren’t.

What you are suggesting is that these teams will continue to go on winless streaks for the foreseeable future. The law of averages says that these teams will have a reasonable run now. We’ve blown it I’m afraid.

Even if they were to somehow keep losing, we’ve shown ourselves to be incapable of making it count.

• Like 3

We went on a terrible run over Christmas and New Year, nobody was even giving promotion a second thought... then we charged into contention... now we’ve gone on another poor run.

Thats Mowbray’s team all over, feast or famine. So there’s no point discounting anything yet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

We have already seen them drop points, a lot of points - and we have failed to make up the ground. We should be in pole position for sixth place now and we aren’t.

What you are suggesting is that these teams will continue to go on winless streaks for the foreseeable future. The law of averages says that these teams will have a reasonable run now. We’ve blown it I’m afraid.

Even if they were to somehow keep losing, we’ve shown ourselves to be incapable of making it count.

Also factor in that there are so many teams in the mix, a number of whom are above us, and we are reliant on a lot of them being on bad runs. Assuming 3rd-5th are our of reach (although not sure they are imo) that's still 3-4 teams we need to all be on bad runs. That simply won't happen. In fact Millwall are already showing they are in excellent form, so this whole other teams will continue to drop points is wishful thinking really. A bit like when we got relegated to League 1, there's far too much looking at how other teams will do and not enough reliance on our own ability. 

A simple system on Sunday might still not have yielded a point or three but it probably wouldn't have resulted in that shambolic first half either. 

Trying to find something to shoehorn his signings in at this stage of the season when we've been doing ok as we were is symptomatic of Mowbray. Try and fathom the unfathomable, not many average managers capable of that or consistently making poor signings look even worse than they are.

Neither Gallagher nor Brereton could be faulted for effort in that game but it's no wonder they often end up with their heads down after an appearance or two. It's like going in to work and asking the ditch digger to lay the bricks for a day and the brickie to go and wire the electrics, it just wouldn't happen. It shouldn't on that pitch when you've paid big money for certain types of players.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, USABlue said:

I never thought I’d say this but I think bowyer was Trying a little bit harder