BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Lockdown gave time for reflection and it has to be said he's a good steady manager at this level who has a habit of pulling out the stops when backs are to the wall.

Also has a bad habit(s) of contributing to undoing some of his good work and his use of large transfer fees is truly bad.

Overall though got to be a B- grade for me up to this point.

Edited by tomphil

I'll be eating an extremely large helping of humble pie if he takes us up via the play offs.

I still don't actually think that will happen (although I'd desperately like to be proved wrong) and I think this is a massive sliding doors moment for Mowbray. If he takes us up, what can you say? Brilliant job.

If we tail off a bit and end the season without ever having been in or without ever having seriously threatened the play off positions, then I don't think that's good enough.

Of far greater concern still imo is the state he's left the squad in. We're in the mire  as far as FFP is concerned because he's wasted £12m on two strikers who haven't performed thus far. We need one if not two centre halves next season, we don't even own a first choice keeper and arguably only have one passable forward.

So far too early to say TM has done a great job. Ironically if we can scrape up he'll get away with his previous recruitment because we'll have the funds to rebuild.

• Like 3

Advanced issues found

?
3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'll be eating an extremely large helping of humble pie if he takes us up via the play offs.

I still don't actually think that will happen (although I'd desperately like to be proved wrong) and I think this is a massive sliding doors moment for Mowbray. If he takes us up, what can you say? Brilliant job.

If we tail off a bit and end the season without ever having been in or without ever having seriously threatened the play off positions, then I don't think that's good enough.

Of far greater concern still imo is the state he's left the squad in. We're in the mire  as far as FFP is concerned because he's wasted £12m on two strikers who haven't performed thus far. We need one if not two centre halves next season, we don't even own a first choice keeper and arguably only have one passable forward.

So far too early to say TM has done a great job. Ironically if we can scrape up he'll get away with his previous recruitment because we'll have the funds to rebuild.

Would we though? That is a huge chunk of money back to the Venky's. Who knows what they would do.

• Like 1

Pursuing a Third Division's 32 year old keeper on a free seems to indicate their intentions pretty well?

All my life we had great keepers, even when we were broke but not since Venkys came.(some brief exceptions!).

Its as if no-one at Rovers understands the value to the whole team of having a safe pair of hands between the posts anymore.

Odd given Mowbray's long experience.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Tell you what Rev, I totally disagree with you on most non-football related stuff but where Rovers are concerned you are bang on the money. 

I think, like you say, it is scary were he to leave and we don't go up what state the squad would be in. To not even have a decent keeper on the books who is vaguely competent is absolutely criminal. The defence at least has personnel next season but needs at least 2 first team choices and doesn't have any back up whatsoever. As for the striker situation other than Armstrong I can't think of one we would want here if they weren't already. Tbh going into next season that's a pretty shocking state to be in. 

And yet he still has us on the cusp of playoffs so cannot be totally useless. However I feel things are getting out of control and are going to catch up with us sooner or later. An unbalanced squad is going to tell at some point. 

• Like 1

A manager makes all the difference in the Championship, as there’s usually very little between teams.

He knows the job and it is fairly obvious he has excellent relationships with the players, which is probably more important than ever in the modern game.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

A manager makes all the difference in the Championship, as there’s usually very little between teams.

He knows the job and it is fairly obvious he has excellent relationships with the players, which is probably more important than ever in the modern game.

Yup, Leeds were nothing until Beisla was appointed. Having a good manager is massive at this level. 

If we had appointed one in the first few years of being down here - I am convinced that we would have gone up. Kean should have gone sooner (should never have been appointed in the first place), then you had the numerous dross that we brought in before Bowyer was the steady Eddie but nowhere near good enough to take us to the next step. 

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I think he does quite well to rinse what he does out of most of them to be fair and they clearly play for him. I think it's easy at this level and the types of players it contains to get into just going through the motions and just doing enough.  Iron that out out and with a decent group you might get somewhere.

A lot of his chopping and changing is probably to try and avert those comfort zones developing in the team as well as keeping harmony. Still needs that extra bit though to go places and that's were spending your transfer budget really wisely comes in.  A lot of work to do on that one from what we've seen.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Stories over his tenure have always painted Mowbray as a passionate and understanding manager. I think that players do like playing for him.

There was a Guardian interview with Lewis Holtby where he sings Mowbray's praises; Holtby Guardian chat

I hope that he gets Rovers up, even if it brings about countless hammerings.

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

im`e not sure what tactics they were but they appeared strange to me,tony should retire to his allotment in the northeast,he does`nt need all this play off hassle

really? 

We played 4-3-3 with Downing as deep playmaker like last week

• Backroom

With our budget I don't think we'll ever have a squad that is top six in the division for ability. This represents a problem as I don't see Mowbray as an overachieving manager, just one who meets basic expectations. If we want to get promoted I do think we would need to change manager, but can understand the reluctance to do so as Venky's do not have a track record of appointing managers with the ability to overachieve.

• Like 2

This guy is a hamster in a wheel.

Sometimes he goes fast and sometimes he goes slowly. Sometimes he just stands still. And sometimes he even goes backwards.

But ultimately he is going nowhere.

Kevin Gallagher summed it up just now by saying, and I paraphrase for brevity, we set up 4-6-0, defending before attacking, and sapping the confidence out of our forward players.

If we cannot go for it from the position we are in, safe, with a 7th placed finish no better than 21st, and on the tails of local rivals then when can we?

We need to perform far far better than that. But why should the players care? Doesn’t matter if they are in or out of form, it doesn’t affect chances of selection. Doesn’t matter what happens on the pitch or for how many matches, Mowbray is under zero pressure.

All too comfortable and, as far as I’m concerned, promotion will mean pressure from fans for a change of manager, while WDL in the Championship will not.

• Like 7

Can just see this coming

We will move on to the next one ! Terrible football and how he’s lasted this long with the tools he’s had only Venkys can explain... 

We need a sporting director to monitor his goings on .... Too much power with no one to question him ... 

• Like 6