BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Bristol didn’t really pose much of a threat, whereas Wigan pushed us back more . So to adopt the same formation is very naive.

in hindsight yes. But Wigan are defensively well drilled. Even through we had 3 good heading chances in the game that was it. dissappointing but we should have change it sooner formation and gone 2 up front. 

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

That's my point. Play against a team one way at home, win and play well, play the same way away, lose and play badly. Tactics and systems sometimes have to change depending on who we play and how they play. That is down to Mowbray and his coaches.

Yes to a point but nothing wrong with us starting the same way as against Bristol but Mowbray had to be quickly to change it then he was. 

the 1st 15 mins of the second half we dominated the possession and tempo but did not created anything apart from Gallagher's header which is disappointing. 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

in hindsight yes. But Wigan are defensively well drilled. Even through we had 3 good heading chances in the game that was it. dissappointing but we should have change it sooner formation and gone 2 up front. 

Yes to a point but nothing wrong with us starting the same way as against Bristol but Mowbray had to be quickly to change it then he was. 

the 1st 15 mins of the second half we dominated the possession and tempo but did not created anything apart from Gallagher's header which is disappointing. 

But it wasn’t hindsight. Most foresighted predictions were for Wigan to press and Harry us. With our best option being pace against their defence . So for whatever reason, we start with our  physically strongest , fastest, players on the bench. 

Edited by rigger

Mowbray out thought Lee Johnson twice- excellent but not on his own in that.

Conversely Paul Cook owns Mowbray.

Incidentally our response to facing a team which hadn't conceded in six games?

Why of Course Mowbray left our leading scorer on the bench. A bit obvious to play Arma in place of Gallagher but too obvious for Mowbray so we lost instead of winning.

• Backroom

Under Mowbray we've always been far more effective when being direct and using Graham/Dack as a focal point, so I can't say that article fills me with optimism. Not much good having 70% possession if you never score. I don't fundamentally disagree with what Mowbray is saying, I just don't believe he's the man to implement such a sweeping change in style. 

• Like 2

I dont know whether to laugh or cry with Mowbray's comments.

Our route to promotion is unlikely to succeed if we are trying to copy the top 4 for style.

Leeds and West Brom have appointed world class managers and have spent millions on players to go with it. Fulham have a ridiculous squad and have spent fortunes on the best players around. We can't copy Brentford because their operation is on another level to the rest of the Championship. We are incapable of replicating that, but if Mowbray wants to try then the first job is for him and Venus to resign so the club can appoint a head coach and director of football.

We need to be trying to copy Burnley, Cardiff, Brighton and Hull. Limited sides that got promoted through organisational ability, good management, a set way of playing and minimal disruption to it.

Mowbray thinks he is better than he is. 

I'd just like him to put a side out that can defend and is hard to beat.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Why ? Are you enjoying the product or is it out of habit. Personally I will not pay for something I do not enjoy.

I'm missing attending games and so are the people I attend with. I enjoyed going to watch my team play. I was looking forward to attending the Barnsley game before the season stop in March. 

I have been going for over 22 years to Ewood Park as Season ticket holder. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm missing attending games and so are the people I attend with. I enjoyed going to watch my team play. I was looking forward to attending the Barnsley game before the season stop in March. 

I have been going for over 22 years to Ewood Park as Season ticket holder. 

So you say you enjoy going , so do I . Will you stop going if you stop Enjoying it ? I will , and I’ve been going since Jim Fryatt scored against Man City 

58 minutes ago, DE. said:

Under Mowbray we've always been far more effective when being direct and using Graham/Dack as a focal point, so I can't say that article fills me with optimism. Not much good having 70% possession if you never score. I don't fundamentally disagree with what Mowbray is saying, I just don't believe he's the man to implement such a sweeping change in style. 

I do think that he has signed some players in Holtby, Downing, Adarabioyo etc who can enable us to become a more technical side and I do think there is probably some logic in trying to become a side that is able to control games better, especially with Graham coming to the end and I suspect a very difficult player to replicate in terms of doing what he is good at.

My issue is that the transition is done without any real clarity, consistency or conviction. The squad is built lacks any real balance. Mowbray has flirted with a couple of alternative formations but they dont suit the current squad and he would need more patience anyway. 3 at the back has a few times been trialled, not really worked and been instantly ditched. The false 9 experiment has an element of logic and even on Saturday our technical players often interchanged nicely but it offers no goal threat with Holtby and when fit Dack not suited to playing with their back to goal. We need to have a number 10 in our formation to play Dack/Holtby in their best position. We have absolutely no players who have shown any competence out wide, and playing wide forwards especially Gallagher ensure that you have no subtlety with those players. Our full backs (Nyambe lacks end product although can be a big threat) dont offer much threat overlapping either which means everything must come centrally.

There are also strange exceptions in his transfer policy which suggest that there is an element of confusion in his mind. Sam Gallagher is as technically lacking as any forward you will find in the league. Bradley Johnson is a midfielder who gives you hustle and bustle and a real goal threat (when hes in shape that is) but again technical ability is not his strong suit and at least once a game gets caught on the ball near his own net. Why make 2 of your main signings in a summer in which you publically declared a desire to move to a more controlled style of football players who are not suited to playing that style?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Chance would be a fine thing

Why are season tickets not on sale now? Do we not want money coming in?

Come on JH, we don’t even know what league we are going to be in!

I know Forest, Fulham, Brentford, Leeds, Derby, Bristol City, Swansea and Millwall top end. Barnsley, Charlton, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Hull and Luton bottom end all have them on sale and our club is very worried about lack of cash flow currently, but it would be a daft idea to follow the lead of these clubs, wouldn’t it Chaddy?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, rigger said:

So you say you enjoy going , so do I . Will you stop going if you stop Enjoying it ? I will , and I’ve been going since Jim Fryatt scored against Man City 

I wont stop enjoying Rovers or football. I love the sport for 30 years and nothing is going to change that. 

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Chance would be a fine thing

Why are season tickets not on sale now? Do we not want money coming in?

I guess cos we dont know when the season will restart yet or when the Government will allow us back into Stadium? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I guess cos we dont know when the season will restart yet or when the Government will allow us back into Stadium? 

Nor does anyone else. Many have been selling throughout the pandemic.

I'd buy one now to use when fans can return regardless of when that might be. Would you?

Isn't it worth doing to get people tied down and their cash in the bank?

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wont stop enjoying Rovers or football. I love the sport for 30 years and nothing is going to change that. 

More likely that Waggot wants to rip the fans off again, and doesn’t know what to charge.

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Nor does anyone else. Many have been selling throughout the pandemic.

I'd buy one now to use when fans can return regardless of when that might be. Would you?

Isn't it worth doing to get people tied down and their cash in the bank?

I would buy one definitely and so would most of people I attend with. question is with this coronavirus around and people losing their jobs would some people feel the club was being insensitive. 

Question is what would they charge and how would you watch games in the meantime?

Also maybe introduce a 2 seasons season ticket for some fans who are willing committed long term

1 minute ago, rigger said:

More likely that Waggot wants to rip the fans off again, and doesn’t know what to charge.

How can charge anyone for a product they can't attend? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I would buy one definitely and so would most of people I attend with. question is with this coronavirus around and people losing their jobs would some people feel the club was being insensitive. 

Question is what would they charge and how would you watch games in the meantime?

Also maybe introduce a 2 seasons season ticket for some fans who are willing committed long term

How can charge anyone for a product they can't attend? 

They have done this season

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They have found a way to allow fans to watched all games. Which I was happy about. Some aren't. each to their own

I am happy with the outcome . What I wasn’t happy with,was the wording of the announcement. I am also not happy with club management and that is why I will not be renewing.

No need to reply, it is only my view