BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Spine of the team is decent - Lenihan, Travis, Dack, Armstrong. A few decent players around the squad - Holtby, Evans, Nyambe.

Never had a decent keeper and no one to put the ball in the net. That’s half the spine. 

I had completely forgotten about Dack for some reason.

• Like 1

Anyone calling for Mowbray to go, please just remember one thing...

Any replacement will come from HSH (the reincarnation of SEM). 
Venkys have always and continue to only appoint managers from their “trusted advisors”

HSH represent Mowbray, Coyle and Lambert

HSH = Honeyman, Sheron, Horner

One former SEM director, 2 former SEM employees.

Do a quick google search on Sheron... see who he has worked with and what they got up to.

Lessons learned? Bollocks.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Venkys have always and continue to only appoint managers from their “trusted advisors”

Do a quick google search on Sheron... see who he has worked with and what they got up to.

Totally agree, so we are completely becalmed in a rudderless ship, with no captain, let alone a ship builder to rely upon. We're fucked till the Loons get into the lifeboats and sail away. And no I have no interest in a life on the ocean wave!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I note Rich Sharpe follows Honeyman.

Tentacles everywhere i heard in the past another LT Rovers reporter was on books connected to these lot.

They did have Media in their title once over.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, tomphil said:

Tentacles everywhere i heard in the past another LT Rovers reporter was on books connected to these lot.

Then it's as bad as it gets. Perhaps he should explain? As a Rovers supporter, I don't follow any history into our inglorious recent past relating to agents who have done nothing but destroyed our club.

3 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Then it's as bad as it gets. Perhaps he should explain? As a Rovers supporter, I don't follow any history into our inglorious recent past relating to agents who have done nothing but destroyed our club.

No idea if it was true or just another urban myth but i wouldn't be surprised as a few years back there did seem to be a big swing with that paper basically just being the clubs mouthpiece. They report what they see and what they are told but nothing of what they hear, very little journalistic license it seems.

• Like 1

I’m not exactly sure what the relationship was between Mowbray and Waggott was before his time at rovers. But I do wonder how many clubs have had a manager that’s effectively appointed the chairman. It all seems a little too cosy for my liking.

Of all the disappointments on the pitch and incompetence from the very top it’s bizarre things like that that grind me down bit by bit. 

• Like 7

Just now, tomphil said:

No idea if it was true or just another urban myth but i wouldn't be surprised as a few years back there did seem to be a big swing with that paper basically just being the clubs mouthpiece. They report what they see and what they are told but nothing of what they hear, very little journalistic license it seems.

We really don't matter. It's so depressing as without fans we've seen what football looks like. Ewood  could soon look like that for good. Our "owners" are a disgrace.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phili said:

With Brentford, it is not just about a Director of Football (although they have 2) but a whole philosophy that the owner has implemented into the club based on Brentford not being able to compete with other London clubs. They have taken the strengths they have and blended these in such a way as to be competitive and self sustaining. 

Also their owner owns several data analytics and sports data companies that they also use to guide their recruitment process.

This is a relatively old article but it covers most of the philosophies and why they implemented their approach. Also goes into a lot of detail on their scouting approach and data file they create on each signing. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2718752-. With this approach i can buy into a long term strategy and taking 5 years to get to the premier league with a structure built to keep us there but the Mowbray longterm approach is just a waste of 2 seasons and 4 transfer windows so far with no end to our mediocrity insight.

I would agree that we should go down a similar route to Brentford if we had good owners but we haven't a chance with Venky's, our best bet would be to get Warnock or Mick McCarthy in with a £m promotion bonus and let them get to work now. The only problem would be that we would be a yoyo club for a couple of seasons.

I know Phili. I have said a number of articles on Brentford and their model and philosophy for a number of years. 

22 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Our "owners" are a disgrace.

To be fair, what have they done wrong since we were relegated from the Championship?

They didn't put any pressure on Mowbray to sell anyone when we dropped into League 1 and gave him further funds to strengthen.

Since going up he's been allowed to spend £12m on two absolute duds (so far) and brought in countless other players permanently or on loan hardly any of whom have come off.

If they have a fault at the moment it seems to be in not twigging that Mowbray has brought his own man in as his boss and not paying close enough attention to what is actually going on down at Ewood. Yet in the past they've been criticised for not leaving things to "the football men".

I don't think you can criticise the support they've given the Club over the last 3 years though, albeit I would have dispensed with Mowbray 18 months ago.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

im`e starved of watching attacking football,i just want genuine wingers,2 strikers up front,a solid back line,a goalkeeper who is`nt a flake and 2 full backs who can fly up the wings,give us some excitement please,i don`t care about promotion it`s not going to happen anytime soon,but i just want to see some ATTACKING FOOTBALL?

no team in the top 6 plays that well. Leeds, Brentford, Fulham, WBA, Forest and Cardiff play 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. 

4-4-2 with 2 proper genuine wingers has gone now. 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why is he still playing 4-3-3 when did we ever play that system and look any good? 

Bristol City. 2 games ago. 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I note Rich Sharpe follows Honeyman.

I follow him on twitter aswell as number of posters on here. 

The main purpose for these last 6 games has to be to work on next season. It wont be because Mowbray wont be as proactive as that. Then you have our absent owners who still sont have an inkling to get a budget sorted for another season in this division anytime soon and any frees will go elsewhere.

We know that Lenihan, Nyambe, Evans, Travis, Downing, Dack, Holtby and Armstrong are good enough. I suspect that they are the only ones but a key objective needs to be to see if any of the younger players are good enough not even necessarily to play major roles next season but as part of the squad. Problem being Rankin Costello and Butterworth are injured and Wharton is presumably ineligible. Buckley, Davenport and Chapman all need plenty of game time between now and the end of the season just to see. If one shows hes good enough then its worth it.

The likes of Bennett, Mulgrew, Williams, Bell, Johnson, Gallagher and Brereton are all drains of our now small resources, if I am being honest even for free most of them wouldnt attract suitors. Rothwell is the same, a load of shite. I think id take a free for any if someone was willing to take on their wages. None of them can be close to that opening day side next year. Sadly i suspect 3 will be starting and itll be the same old story.

In terms of out of contract players, Mowbray wont be but he needs to be ruthless. Samuel, Leutwiler, Hart, Smallwood, sadly now Graham and if theres any chance at all that his contract hasnt been extended then Bell all need to go. The only extension should be Downing.

Totally fed up tonight and the manager has so much responsibility for that woeful performance summing up so many of the self inflicted problems due to his management.

• Like 1

Here’s Hoping the new recruitment set up comes up with a new Manager!! 

TM Should have been sacked long time ago ... The whole process takes too long and Our manager knows all the sound bites to buy him self little bit more time .. 

Theres no way we can be Brentford with TM in charge .... He doesn’t even know which style to play and is Too old school .. 

I detest the style of football we play and his stubbornness to play Gally out wide ..

Heres hoping he’s long long soon ... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

It does appear that Tony Pulis and Craig Bellamy have been represent by HSH in the past

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

4-4-2 with 2 proper genuine wingers has gone now. 

The dingles seem to do alright playing it.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It does appear that Tony Pulis and Craig Bellamy have been represent by HSH in the past

I know it will most likely be controversial but I'd be quite happy with Pulis. 

31 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

To be fair, what have they done wrong since we were relegated from the Championship?

They didn't put any pressure on Mowbray to sell anyone when we dropped into League 1 and gave him further funds to strengthen.

Since going up he's been allowed to spend £12m on two absolute duds (so far) and brought in countless other players permanently or on loan hardly any of whom have come off.

If they have a fault at the moment it seems to be in not twigging that Mowbray has brought his own man in as his boss and not paying close enough attention to what is actually going on down at Ewood. Yet in the past they've been criticised for not leaving things to "the football men".

I don't think you can criticise the support they've given the Club over the last 3 years though, albeit I would have dispensed with Mowbray 18 months ago.

This is a pretty big failing. And there's a hell of a difference between not leaving it to football men and letting the manager appoint their own boss! The non pressure and lack of a proper management structure is costing us dearly. 

Then there's the issue of budgets not being set till late on because they can't be arsed using Skype and the apparent lack of money for defenders which whilst hearsay appears to have legs. They are far from model owners. Better than they have been but not good at all. 

That said I agree that TM should shoulder a lot of blame and has in many ways had it far too easy. His money for strikers has been good. He hasn't had any scrutiny in the fact that they haven't worked out either. He's not been under pressure after runs that would be sacked at any other club and he appointed his own boss. For all the disfunction of Rovers TM has done very well out of it and should shoulder a fair chunk of the blame for the current issues. 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

But Burnley don't play with 2 genuine wingers but a very rigid system and long ball. 

Nothing wrong with a long ball Chaddy. The only time Rovers have every really looked effective under Mowbray has been when we have played long ball football into Graham and Dack.

• Like 6