BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

This is a pretty big failing. And there's a hell of a difference between not leaving it to football men and letting the manager appoint their own boss! The non pressure and lack of a proper management structure is costing us dearly. 

Then there's the issue of budgets not being set till late on because they can't be arsed using Skype and the apparent lack of money for defenders which whilst hearsay appears to have legs. They are far from model owners. Better than they have been but not good at all. 

That said I agree that TM should shoulder a lot of blame and has in many ways had it far too easy. His money for strikers has been good. He hasn't had any scrutiny in the fact that they haven't worked out either. He's not been under pressure after runs that would be sacked at any other club and he appointed his own boss. For all the disfunction of Rovers TM has done very well out of it and should shoulder a fair chunk of the blame for the current issues. 

Fair comment.

It appears the owners don't want the indignity back at home of one of their businesses going bust and up to press have been prepared to lob in eye watering amounts of money to keep us open but on the other hand don't have  either sufficient interest or sufficient expertise to keep a really close eye on what's going on or nip something quickly in the bud when it clearly isn't working.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Burnley don't play with 2 genuine wingers but a very rigid system and long ball. 

Burnley are now light years ahead of us as a club.

IMO, it's a myth that Mowbray's Rovers are a footballing team.

IMO, the football, in the main, since Mowbray took over has been dire in the extreme - akin to a Sunday league pub team.

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Do you agree that the false 9, wide striker experiment needs to be put in the bin and kept there?

I like the 4-3-3 system as such but Armstrong need to be the main striker in the 9 role not as false 9. 

Or you go back to 4-2-3-1 system with Armstrong up front and Holtby as 10. 

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Nothing wrong with a long ball Chaddy. The only time Rovers have every really looked effective under Mowbray has been when we have played long ball football into Graham and Dack.

different managers have different style. But I never said they was anything wrong with the long ball if you have the players to play that. Currently I don;t think we do. Gallagher isn't a Graham type striker. So dont know why we bought him if he was going to take over from him long term. We should have used that money to buy a 1st keeper, centre back and left back last summer

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Shortly after Jan 2019 window for me.

Should never have been appointed.

I honestly can't see a single managerial strength.

IMO, almost a completely disasterous appointment.  We are not much better of than when he arrived.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

IMO, it's a myth that Mowbray's Rovers are a footballing team.

IMO, the football, in the main, since Mowbray took over has been dire in the extreme - akin to a Sunday league pub team.

He has certain managed to create some myth for himself. It always staggers me when I hear all these so called experts on TV talking about how Mowbray likes his side play attacking front foot football.

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Anyone calling for Mowbray to go, please just remember one thing...

Any replacement will come from HSH (the reincarnation of SEM). 
Venkys have always and continue to only appoint managers from their “trusted advisors”

HSH represent Mowbray, Coyle and Lambert

HSH = Honeyman, Sheron, Horner

One former SEM director, 2 former SEM employees.

Do a quick google search on Sheron... see who he has worked with and what they got up to.

Lessons learned? Bollocks.

if TM is a client of HSH then I pointed out a while ago that Smallwood was also definitely a client of theirs and this was a really unhealthy conflict of interest as TM might feel obliged to act in the player's interest rather than the Club's.

Since then of course we've seen this play out in practice with Smallwood sitting on his arse doing nothing for 12 months on full pay, and then getting a short term contract extension to boot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like the 4-3-3 system as such but Armstrong need to be the main striker in the 9 role not as false 9. 

different managers have different style. But I never said they was anything wrong with the long ball if you have the players to play that. Currently I don;t think we do. Gallagher isn't a Graham type striker. So dont know why we bought him if he was going to take over from him long term. We should have used that money to buy a 1st keeper, centre back and left back last summer

Have to have a number 10 because Dack and Holtby play there. Absolutely scandulous that there are NO players (for either system) that can play those wide roles. None at all. Shambolic. An area that needs fixing in the summer as much as any. With no money its gonna be hard.

Good chance we wont even beat last years points tally of 60. Progress? What progress. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

if TM is a client of HSH then I pointed out a while ago that Smallwood was also definitely a client of theirs and this was a really unhealthy conflict of interest as TM might feel obliged to act in the player's interest rather than the Club's.

Since then of course we've seen this play out in practice with Smallwood sitting on his arse doing nothing for 12 months on full pay, and then getting a short term contract extension to boot.

I think the club needs sweeping clean from top to bottom.

IMO, Waggott, Cheston, Mowbray, Venus, Lowe, Benson all need bulleting for starters - third raters at best.  Can anyone tell me what value they've added to the club? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spot on Rev. The club is still corrupt just more discrete about it these days. The Smallwood example is just one of it. The last 3 managers being from there another. Which when that lands you with Lambert, Coyle and TM it leaves the club in a very bad place indeed. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Go back to the second formarion. We don't have the players for 4-3-3. The strikers struggle as wide strikers and it means we play (or should play) less of the failing lot of them in the other formation. It also stops us playing a false 9, although to be fair I thought that was a description of our strikers rather than a position. It also works well when Dack comes back and you can slot him and Holtby in the team. 

different managers have different style. But I never said they was anything wrong with the long ball if you have the players to play that. Currently I don;t think we do. Gallagher isn't a  striker.

Fixed it for you. He's not a wide forward or midfielder or footballer either imo.b

So dont know why we bought him if he was going to take over from him long term. We should have used that money to buy a 1st keeper, centre back and left back last summer

Agree with where the money should have been spent. I think TM did however see him as Graham's replacement. I mean if he's anything at all he should be that kind of striker. The problem is he's not very good and it's a demanding role to play leading the line alone, so he isn't a suitable successor. Yep strengthen the defence instead looks a much smarter bet, especially with Armstrong improving. We already had 2 substandard strikers on the pitch. The chopping and rotating between the 3 and Graham and anyone else TM decides to play as a striker must make it even harder for them to develop. Perhaps without Gally one of the others would have had a run and found a bit of form. Unlikely, very unlikely, but better odds then the chopping and changing. 

We've been here before and will undoubtedly be here again. Calls for his head, poor results, people thinking he will walk and then boom, he pulls out a surprise result against someone, manages to string a few more results together and the picture gets a bit healthier. 

Ultimately we will hit another downward spiral at some point after and the cycle continues.

He isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

• Like 1

Well another trademark Mowbray week. Start it off in a good place, looking up the table, starting to be taken seriously as a play-off contender after impressing against a rival side in Bristol City. 

Ten days later two appalling defeats against two poor sides, two golden opportunities wasted, no goals, four against and ending up a disorganised rabble with baffling subs, lineups, formations. 

In the end he falls back on his career long solution of chucking an array of attackers on for the last 15 minutes in the hope that one of them manages to conjure up some magic, but in the end they rarely do and the scoreline gets worse rather than better as we look completely lost and are wide open at the back. 

He isn't going to change because he did the same thing 10 years ago at Celtic. He is either incapable or unwilling to do it any differently.

He gets sympathy from me insofar as I am gutted that after such impressive performances we have now seemingly lost both Travis and Evans to injury for the rest of the season. Meanwhile who knows what is happening with Bell and Williams but i have my suspicions on that front. Point is that we all expected fatigue with such a schedule of games but to be missing so many so soon after 3 months without a game is a big problem.

But at the same time this is his squad, and the woeful lack of contribution from his signings in Samuel, Gallagher, Brereton, Rothwell and Chapman means he shoulders the blame and must ultimately pay the price for it. 

We aren't ever going to get up from this division with this manager because we can't defend properly and can't achieve any level of consistency in selection, approach or performance. 

There should be an analysis taking place upstairs as to whether they are happy with that or whether their aims are going to be met by this group of staff but instead there will be nothing of the sort. Waggott will tell fans we are lucky to have Tony, they'll go and tell the owners everything is fine and dandy and ticking over nicely, Trav, Nyambe and Lenihan's values have gone up a bit more, happy days and off we go again.

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think the club needs sweeping clean from top to bottom.

IMO, Waggott, Cheston, Mowbray, Venus, Lowe, Benson all need bulleting for starters - third raters at best.  Can anyone tell me what value they've added to the club? 

You're correct it does but it always leads back to the top, the club will never get the right people in the right places until we have new owners.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Is it just me who hasn't got a cue what a false 9 actually is. It seems to me like another example of Mowbray over complicating things. Just stick a a centre forward through the middle, it's not rocket science.

• Like 3

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Is it just me who hasn't got a cue what a false 9 actually is. It seems to me like another example of Mowbray over complicating things. Just stick a a centre forward through the middle, it's not rocket science.

Spot on.

An analogy - a false sh@g is a wet dream!

• Like 2

Twas a dreich night at Ewood last year that Sheff Utd showed up and booted us all over the park. In our faces the whole night and we were feable against 3-5-2. It was at that point we should have copied them and built a side to fit that formation. The under 23s under Johno were using it religiously at that point too. Dack could fit in right behind the little and large strikers. 

The 4-2-3-1 has never really worked for us, and was just a shoe horn to fit Dack into his favourite role without any thought of decent wide men, fast forward a year and we are still dicking around with inside forwards and wide strikers trying to figure out a way to play. It’s a mess, a hot mess in fact. Brutal injuries and bad luck at times but the style of play and formation is all wrong.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, almost a completely disasterous appointment.  We are not much better of than when he arrived.

I'm not completely against you on that, if you take the view that the likes of Nyambe, Travis and Lenihan would have come through under any manager anyway there's only really the acquisitions of Dack and Armstrong that are a positive.

Against that we've no keeper going forward still have vastly inferior versions of Mulgrew and  Graham and Gallagher has deteriorated markedly from a lowly starting point of not being that good in the first place.

And the purchases of Gallagher and Brereton have screwed us up FFP wise. At least pe lockdown regs.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Well another trademark Mowbray week. Start it off in a good place, looking up the table, starting to be taken seriously as a play-off contender after impressing against a rival side in Bristol City. 

Ten days later two appalling defeats against two poor sides, two golden opportunities wasted, no goals, four against and ending up a disorganised rabble with baffling subs, lineups, formations. 

I

I'm convinced it's deliberate because it happens too often for it to be a co-incidence.

Tony is in fact alot smarter than we give him credit for. He and his mates in the boardroom don't want the pressure of the Premier League because it would jeopardise their jobs so they keep Rovers there or thereabouts in the promotion race in order to keep the fans reasonably happy but back off when we get too near the top 6. When the heat is on again after a poor run and fans get restless Tony pulls off some big wins and Rovers go on a little run within sight of the top 6 again. Rinse and repeat through the season for 3 years or more and hey presto!, Tony's got £5 million in the bank!

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'm convinced it's deliberate because it happens too often for it to be a co-incidence.

Tony is in fact alot smarter than we give him credit for. He and his mates in the boardroom don't want the pressure of the Premier League because it would jeopardise their jobs so they keep Rovers there or thereabouts in the promotion race in order to keep the fans reasonably happy but back off when we get too near the top 6. When the heat is on again after a poor run and fans get restless Tony pulls off some big wins and Rovers go on a little run within sight of the top 6 again. Rinse and repeat through the season for 3 years or more and hey presto!, Tony's got £5 million in the bank!

If he was that good/clever he could and would earn a damn sight more than that. You credit him with far more than he possesses - he is what he is, a very limited manager. 

• Like 3