BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I think we have a decent chance of getting a good manager in. Spine of the squad is strong (Lenihan-Travis-Dack-Armstrong) with some good young players coming through (Nyambe, Buckley, Davenport) and some good supporting players (Evans, Downing, Holtby). A lot of managers would look at that squad and think they can do something with it.

In a way I feel bad for Mowbray. He's done a lot of good things. But transfers since we came up we have been really poor - not managing to address key areas of the team like striker and centre back and wasting a lot of money. Also tactically what he has tried has not worked at all.

We're a solid mid table side so he has improved us over where we were when he arrived. But I do fear we will start to go backwards next year unless we make a change.

I think he's jumped the shark now, and its just a matter of time.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Cake order to the missus for Monday lunch whist drive....

I missed out the bit at the beginning and end of my post “Dear Lord, please ensure”.......”Amen”??

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

Playing with no centre forward.

Mowbray using his genius-insanity gene to maximum effect.

We tried this at the start of the season and we were averaging 1 shot on target every 2 games if you remember.

Mowbray said he was playing with nobody in the middle before the season started. It's dumb and doesn't work.

Walton just as bad as all our previous keepers....common denominator....Ben Benson the GK coach who never played himself. Funny at the drinks break he had a flip pad and was instructing outfield players. What a setup.

Can't win football matches with no Keeper and no Centre Forward.

• Like 1

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Playing with no centre forward.

Mowbray using his genius-insanity gene to maximum effect.

We tried this at the start of the season and we were averaging 1 shot on target every 2 games if you remember.

Mowbray said he was playing with nobody in the middle before the season started. It's dumb and doesn't work.

Walton just as bad as all our previous keepers....common denominator....Ben Benson the GK coach who never played himself. Funny at the drinks break he had a flip pad and was instructing outfield players. What a setup.

Can't win football matches with no Keeper and no Centre Forward.

I totally agree with your point about our goalkeeping coach

• Like 2

• Backroom

What worries me about TM leaving is that because we have this outdated structure where everything at the club revolves around the manager, his departure means we essentially start from scratch. Theoretically the new manager could pick up where TM left off as far as scouting initiatives, etc, are concerned, but it makes it a lot harder for the new incumbent to hit the ground running when he has so many tasks to deal with. If we were smart we would have evolved the structure of the club to allow seamless transition between managers, but we have the exact opposite which makes things a lot more difficult - and that isn't even taking into account the likelihood of our owners hiring another dud like Coyle. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

What worries me about TM leaving is that because we have this outdated structure where everything at the club revolves around the manager, his departure means we essentially start from scratch. Theoretically the new manager could pick up where TM left off as far as scouting initiatives, etc, are concerned, but it makes it a lot harder for the new incumbent to hit the ground running when he has so many tasks to deal with. If we were smart we would have evolved the structure of the club to allow seamless transition between managers, but we have the exact opposite which makes thing a lot more difficult - and that isn't even taking into account the likelihood of our owners hiring another dud like Coyle. 

Just because it is difficult, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done

• Like 2

If Tony does go (I can’t see it happening myself) then I don’t want us to go anywhere near the revolving failures (Pulis, Hughes and the likes). It’s not progressive in any way.
Look at Nuno and Bielsa who came to the Championship, albeit for much richer clubs, even Wagner taking Hudds up, or Farke taking Norwich up.  

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just because it is difficult, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done

I agree, I want him gone at this point, but I don't think it's going to be the answer to all our problems. The issues unfortunately run much deeper than Tony Mowbray. 

• Like 2

this ben benson fellow is symptom of why we are such a mess,how can a coach who`s never played football coach a professional,technically i could read a textbook and take a few exams on plumbing but it would be meaningless because i would`nt have the experience to fit someones boiler,it would lead to a mess,same situation at brockhall,he possibly could be there because he`s a nice chap and we know how tony likes nice people round him

• Like 2

In rebuilding the inside of the club it also means it's pretty much stitched up in the managers favour. Only India trumps his word and only India can trump him.

Dangerous turf because it makes change without fallout very difficult.  Football clubs in the main are and should always be structured in a way that allows big change within because the nature of the game makes it inevitable.

Not here though they want a group of people running it like a franchise sponsored by them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Spine of the squad is strong (Lenihan-Travis-Dack-Armstrong) with some good young players coming through (Nyambe, Buckley, Davenport) and some good supporting players (Evans, Downing, Holtby). A lot of managers would look at that squad and think they can do something with it.

The spine of the squad is really Keeper, Centre Half, Central Midfielder and forward. Walton is a very poor keeper at this level and Armstrong’s goal ratio is one in four, ie. eleven or twelve a season and not prolific enough. 

I agree with Lenihan and say Dack/Travis.

• Like 1

3 defeats in a row, incredibly likely to be 5 after the next 2.

Its abundantly clear that Mowbray isn't taking this squad any further. He's signed 2 absolute dollopers in Gallagher and Brereton and hampers Gallagher further by shunting him RW. 

And his binning of Raya for Walton is looking like the worst piece of business yet.

Mowbray is stubborn and won't change, so as a result we aren't miraculously going to become a force to be reckoned with.

Times up, he needs to go.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

this ben benson fellow is symptom of why we are such a mess,how can a coach who`s never played football coach a professional,technically i could read a textbook and take a few exams on plumbing but it would be meaningless because i would`nt have the experience to fit someones boiler,it would lead to a mess,same situation at brockhall,he possibly could be there because he`s a nice chap and we know how tony likes nice people round him

Well brought up point there just why is the goalkeeping coach instructing outfield players ?  Why does Mowbray put so much stock in the players sorting things themselves and why are there so many so called seniors so influential ?

Mulgrew, Bennett, Smallwood, Graham seem to run the show at times if you listen to some of his interviews. Just what do Mowbray and Venus do ?

Too many cooks might explain the hotch potch tactics, too many having an input no wonder it all looks so confusing. I'm beginning to think uncle Tony is a very weak manager.