BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

To be honest not sure who we would get in, lost a lot of interest in the game over the last few years, so dont have a clue which good upcoming managers are out there. However the current manager seems to have reached his peak here. Clearly cannot spend decent cash when put before him, woeful tactics and the odd mentality of playing players out of position, mean he really should move on.

Edited by AAK

14 minutes ago, bazza said:

Mark Hughes had 3 very good backroom staff with him when he was at Rovers. One of them is manager of Reading. I don't know where Nediwinski (?) and the other fella is. But Hughesy on his own may not be as good.

Eddie Niedzwiecki is Mark Bowen number 2. Kevin Hitchcock is goalkeeper coach at MLS team New England Revolution. Glyn Hodges is manager at AFC Wimbledon. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AAK said:

Spent £37 million over the last 2 seasons, awful manager.

In fairness did they not receive about £40 million for 3 players last close season which kind of balances things up? I think one went to Dingles for about £10m.

Just now, darrenrover said:

In fairness did they not receive about £40 million for 3 players last close season which kind of balances things up? I think one went to Dingles for about £10m.

Think they received a bit pal, but still £37mil in this league is some proper dosh, its 7 and a half sam gallaghers for goodness sake!!!

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Over the last two summers combined they have received getting on for £70 Million in transfer fees.

I'd be approaching Julian Stéphan who manages Rennes in Ligue 1 in France. He's only 39 and had Rennes in 3rd place when Ligue 1 season was curtailed due to Covid-19.

I doubt that he'll appear on anyone at Ewood's radar but IMO he'd be a decent shout and have a contact book entirely different to the expensive shite that we've become accustomed to drumming up in recent years.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

If only we would do a Bristol City and send Mowbray packing tonight giving us time to assess our options ahead of next season.

I really think we are heading for a world of trouble if he is here much longer. Every man and his dog can see we have no first choice keeper and only have 5 outfield players who are good enough : Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Dack and Armstrong and Nyambe and Dack are entering the last 12 months of their contracts.

The only thing that matters should be keeping those five and a humongous clearout is needed of most of the rest of the deadwood, that is if any of them would attract any interest from elsewhere.

Instead we know exactly what will happen, Mowbray will attempt to, and probably succeed in conning Waggott and the owners that the "long term plan" is still on track and persuade them to spunk yet more money against the wall on new contracts and/or extensions "to keep the group together".

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'd be approaching Julian Stéphan who manages Rennes in Ligue 1 in France. He's only 39 and had Rennes in 3rd place when Ligue 1 season was curtailed due to Covid-19.

I doubt that he'll appear on anyone at Ewood's radar but IMO he'd be a decent shout and have a contact book entirely different to the expensive shite that we've become accustomed to drumming up in recent years.

Why would he leave Rennes and European football? They have a state of the art academy and the owners are one of the richest in the world 

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

If only we would do a Bristol City and send Mowbray packing tonight giving us time to assess our options ahead of next season.

I really think we are heading for a world of trouble if he is here much longer. Every man and his dog can see we have no first choice keeper and only have 5 outfield players who are good enough : Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Dack and Armstrong and Nyambe and Dack are entering the last 12 months of their contracts.

The only thing that matters should be keeping those five and a humongous clearout is needed of most of the rest of the deadwood, that is if any of them would attract any interest from elsewhere.

Instead we know exactly what will happen, Mowbray will attempt to, and probably succeed in conning Waggott and the owners that the "long term plan" is still on track and persuade them to spunk yet more money against the wall on new contracts and/or extensions "to keep the group together".

We won’t do a bristol city their owner has invested massively in sport in Bristol as a whole, he has a vision to make them PL and make the rugby team decent. The other thing is he’s a bristol city fan sort of the polar opposite of our owners 

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The ship's probably sailed on that one if they go up.

I disagree. I think Ainsworth would come if approached. That said, I'm not sure I'd want him, and its all irrelevant anyway as Mowbray appears to have a job for life. 

10 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

Why would he leave Rennes and European football? They have a state of the art academy and the owners are one of the richest in the world 

Money and ambition. Do we not have both your other points too?

13 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Money and ambition. Do we not have both your other points too?

no not really we have about a million quid head space before FFP and we don't really spend that much, we are a million miles of european football and the top flight

• Like 1

Venky’s were badly advised by a whole host of different people after they rolled into town, the worst being Jerome Anderson and the Kentaro connection. There were rumours of Glasgow gangsters, managers came and went through the revolving door, we were relegated, started losing money on a grand scale and then finally in came Tony Mowbray.

I am not defending Venky’s in any way here, I want them out more than most but, after several years of utter shenanigans, there was finally a sense of normality especially after promotion back to the Championship. I think they found it easy to get along with Tony Mowbray and, for the first time in their tenure, I think they felt they were dealing with someone they could trust.

In any other situation, Tony Mowbray would have been sacked by now or, at least, be extremely close to it. Despite wasting a further chunk of their money, for the reasons I mention above, I feel they will be very reluctant to part ways with their man and we’ll be stuck with him for the foreseeable. Throw in Waggott and the old pals act and there will be even less pressure to get rid of TM from within.

I would give Johnson the gigg till the end of the season.. as long as he doesn't get us near relegation I would give him a season to learn and expect him to be very close to play offs following season..

Could be a gem.. also could be a dudd but right now quite low risk, alternatively we can continue to kill ourselves softly with Tomo ??‍♂️