BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

So then, realistic candidates to replace him?

Hughton, Hughes, Karanka, Keane (sorry DE but he'd crack a few heads), Ainsworth, Robins, McCarthy, Monk and even Strachan.

Mowbray's time is up, we need a change. And soon.

Just 6 points from our last 8 league games.

5 games to go and I can't see us taking more than 4 points (Reading & Luton) from those games - think there's a risk we'll lose the lot.

So that would be anything in the range of 6 to 10 points from our closing 13 games.  A shocking statistic underlining we aren't progressing and the need for managerial change. 

Just now, LDRover said:

Hughton, Hughes, Karanka, Keane (sorry DE but he'd crack a few heads), Ainsworth, Robins, McCarthy, Monk and even Strachan.

I'd go for Keane with a clever coach to back him up.

Keane looks and is absolutely menacing and, IMO, our 'holiday club' would sh1t themselves!

• Like 4

Just now, LDRover said:

Strachan ?? Monk isn't he being sued by Birmingham and he left boro under a cloud due to agent issues, Keane when was the last decent job he did. McCarthy didn't pull up any trees at ipswich they stagnated and he left. Robins is an excellent manager would be a great choice out of the rest, Hughes would it work second time without Bowen? Hughton wouldn't come here and i'm not convinced on Karanka. It's immaterial at TM won't be losing his job anytime soon

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Keane looks and is absolutely menacing and, IMO, our 'holiday club' would sh1t themselves!

Apart from sunderland for a limited time what's he actually done. Yeah he gets angry and shouts that will wear off really quickly there is a reason he's been out of work for ages. I still think with our more workman squad someone like Rowett would do an excellent job

Edited by PeteJD13
  • Like 3

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

Strachan ?? Monk isn't he being sued by Birmingham and he left boro under a cloud due to agent issues, Keane when was the last decent job he did. McCarthy didn't pull up any trees at ipswich they stagnated and he left. Robins is an excellent manager would be a great choice out of the rest, Hughes would it work second time without Bowen? Hughton wouldn't come here and i'm not convinced on Karanka. It's immaterial at TM won't be losing his job anytime soon

All valid points Pete but I'll bet you had more questions over Mowbray when he was appointed.

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Can you imagine Keane when he's first told to pop to India for a chat mid season.

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

Apart from sunderland for a limited time what's he actually done. Yeah he gets angry and shouts that will wear off really quickly there is a reason he's been out of work for ages

We need a shake up.

He's a personality with a drawer full of medals and caps.  Doesn't suffer fools.  Think he's now more mature.

As I said, would need a clever coach next to him like Kenny had Harford.

Just now, LDRover said:

All valid points Pete but I'll bet you had more questions over Mowbray when he was appointed.

to be fair to say i was underwhelmed was an understatement, i felt we could have and arguably should have done better with that recruitment job but credit to mowbray i think he has done s decent job since.

Just now, Mercer said:

We need a shake up.

He's a personality with a drawer full of medals and caps.  Doesn't suffer fools.  Think he's now more mature.

As I said, would need a clever coach next to him like Kenny had Harford.

He'd last 2/3 months with that approach i think if we were to make a change ( we aren't ) i'd want someone more progressive with a defined style of play and identity 

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

to be fair to say i was underwhelmed was an understatement, i felt we could have and arguably should have done better with that recruitment job but credit to mowbray i think he has done s decent job since.

Really!?

After three and a half years of Mowbray, we are nothing more than a mid table Championship team going backwards with an unbalanced squad with gaping holes in key areas.

If Mowbray's building our club then God help us if he gets it wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

He'd last 2/3 months with that approach i think if we were to make a change ( we aren't ) i'd want someone more progressive with a defined style of play and identity 

Precisely what Mowbray has failed to do!

Just now, Mercer said:

Precisely what Mowbray has failed to do!

yeah i don't disagree with that, he's over complicated what we need when he's tried to play with a false 9. It is my major criticism of him especially this season i don't really know what style we play with apart from a lose 4231 with 5 players out of position  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

yeah i don't disagree with that, he's over complicated what we need when he's tried to play with a false 9. It is my major criticism of him especially this season i don't really know what style we play with apart from a lose 4231 with 5 players out of position  

IMO, Mowbray thinks he's a Pep but in reality, he's a managerial dinosaurian who is well past his sell by date.  Think it's compounded by, IMO, the dire quality of his staff (Venus, Lowe & Benson) - I've watched these guys on match days and concluded the lights are on but there's no one at home! 

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Mercer said:

IMO, Mowbray thinks he's a Pep but in reality, he's a managerial dinosaurian who is well past their his by date.  Think it's compounded by, IMO, the dire quality of his staff (Venus, Lowe & Benson) - I've watched these guys on match days and concluded the lights are on but there's no one at home! 

I sit in the family stand Lowe's pre match warm ups are really poor when he conducts the shooting drills his setup play is all over the place. As Venus is really our DOF now it wouldn't be the worst idea to freshen his coaching staff up ( he won't )

30 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Just 6 points from our last 8 league games.

5 games to go and I can't see us taking more than 4 points (Reading & Luton) from those games - think there's a risk we'll lose the lot.

So that would be anything in the range of 6 to 10 points from our closing 13 games.  A shocking statistic underlining we aren't progressing and the need for managerial change. 

I think we may get lucky and pick up 2 that's TWO points from those 5 games.

1 point from Reading and 1 from Luton but as both are going to be dead rubbers we may get zero.

Don't panic. Mowbray job is safe. He will just tell the blood and guts Dad story. Prick.

13 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

I sit in the family stand Lowe's pre match warm ups are really poor when he conducts the shooting drills his setup play is all over the place. As Venus is really our DOF now it wouldn't be the worst idea to freshen his coaching staff up ( he won't )

Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to have opportunity to see a number of managers and coaches put on sessions at different clubs.  The good ones stand out a mile with their passion, positivity, know-how and communication.

You mention pre match warm ups - one of the best with the ball I ever saw at Ewood was when McClaren was Fergie's number 2 at United.  It really fizzed and those lads were really buzzing - sadly, they were too much for Rovers that day.

Edited by Mercer

new impetus and fresh ideas needed desperately,id`e give johnson a chance or go for ainsworth,wycombe play some pretty good attacking stuff,ainsworth is one million percentage different personality wise than mowbray,sadly i can`t see change happening until we`re bottom of the league next christmas because this side is only going one way

8 minutes ago, Amo said:

Keane is a borderline sociopath. He might knock a few heads together but we need more than that.

and that's why, with that type of manager, you put a clever coach next to him!

Busby had Murphy, Shankly had Paisley, Clough had Taylor, Kenny (who said he couldn't put on a session) had Harford.

Edited by Mercer

I must admit I'm warming to the possibility of Ainsworth as a potential Rovers manager. He's done a remarkable job at Wycombe with no money and the way they despatched Fleetwood the other night was very impressive. His players certainly put the effort in for him and although the style of play isn't pretty, it's effective.

I don't think there's any doubt that he'd come either, I think we could do much worse.

Edited by LDRover

59 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Out of your list I would say Houghton, Karanka, Ainsworth, Robins in that order. Keane is a moron who loves his own 'hard man' hype, Monk is a crook, McCarthy is no better than Mowbray and Starchan is finished.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Amo said:

Keane is a borderline sociopath. He might knock a few heads together but we need more than that.

I've said this club (and many others) could use edgier marketing and appointing a psychotic thug isn't exactly poles apart from that. I don't see how you could use the tired "family club blueprint" and have someone like that as the face of the club at same time. OK Rovers tried to sign him years ago (even with bitter jealousy about "buying success" Rovers were never portrayed as a vile club under Jack's ownership whereas even most biased media could hardly deny United's arrogance and Ferguson's vile temper) but he was mellower at Forest in comparison to Man United where he gradually became one of the most hated players in the country and rightly so.

He might kick Ferguson out though ?

Edited by Vinjay

15 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Hart would be worth a punt, but only for £5k a week. We should get the manager of a club that will be playing in Europe next season. There are some absolute crackers going around at the moment.

It'll be either Mowbray or Damien Johnson as manager at the start of next season. We will be lucky to have the same level of squad again. We need to brace ourselves for that level of reality.

I think Mowbray will walk IF the terms are right.

IMO, his body language and demeanor are those of someone on the brink.

Think Johnson is the best of a pretty poor set of coaches we have but don't think he's ready, or even cut out, to be 1st team manager.

We need a manager who will galvanise the club, excite the fans and make the wider football world sit up and take note. 

• Like 1