BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

34 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I think Mowbray will walk IF the terms are right.

IMO, his body language and demeanor are those of someone on the brink.

Think Johnson is the best of a pretty poor set of coaches we have but don't think he's ready, or even cut out, to be 1st team manager.

We need a manager who will galvanise the club, excite the fans and make the wider football world sit up and take note. 

I agree that Mowbray looks like he's out of ideas and energy too. I think he would walk away if paid off, maybe for less than the full term of his contract 

Also for Venkys it's a pretty bad situation. They're losing money hand over fist, just invested £12m in near worthless players, and probably their only real concern is to reduce their year on year losses. But realistically to avoid future even more severe losses they need to invest more money in the hope we get promoted. It's a toxic cycle..

At some point which cannot really be that far away they are going to say fuck this and then it will really kick off. I think all fans should mentally prepare themselves for when we go bankrupt.

Arguably the best thing for the club would be to wind the wage bill down further to a level supportable by the club's income and take our chances on unknown talent and the youth team. Not the most glamorous future but it will keep us alive when Venkys fuck off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree that Mowbray looks like he's out of ideas and energy too. I think he would walk away if paid off, maybe for less than the full term of his contract 

Also for Venkys it's a pretty bad situation. They're losing money hand over fist, just invested £12m in near worthless players, and probably their only real concern is to reduce their year on year losses. But realistically to avoid future even more severe losses they need to invest more money in the hope we get promoted. It's a toxic cycle..

At some point which cannot really be that far away they are going to say fuck this and then it will really kick off. I think all fans should mentally prepare themselves for when we go bankrupt.

Arguably the best thing for the club would be to wind the wage bill down further to a level supportable by the club's income and take our chances on unknown talent and the youth team. Not the most glamorous future but it will keep us alive when Venkys fuck off.

Totally agree with this statement as I've often wondered just how long they will continue losing money, it doesn't make sense and the future looks very precarious.   

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

A terrifying read. And a timely reminder that Mowbray isn't the real issue. Sadly he is where we operate now after a decade of mismanagement and misunderstanding. 

So, given the situation with our owners and likelihood of having to operate with lots of youth players and freebies, we need to stumble across a type of manager that Venkys haven't been anywhere near appointing in a decade. Perhaps they could do is that favour before fucking back off to where they came from. 

It's really terribly sad what they've done to us and what we've become. 

8 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

yeah i don't disagree with that, he's over complicated what we need when he's tried to play with a false 9. It is my major criticism of him especially this season i don't really know what style we play with apart from a lose 4231 with 5 players out of position  

How can we play with a false number 9, with Armstrong's,Graham , Samuel , Brereton and Gallagher all on the books ....it beggars belief..

• Like 2

The pro Mowbray numbers must surely be at rock bottom now, even my dad wants him out and he's been as patient as anyone.

Forget his chopping and changing for a minute as a lot of managers are doing the same right now. One of the biggest issues I have with him is how he's seemingly wrecked the confidence of many players completely. What the hell is he doing to them besides playing them out of position? Gallagher a prime example yesterday, was anyone expecting him to actually score when through on goal? He was literally terrified! He must now be in a position where he would actually cheer if benched, same goes for Brereton. You could of course argue that they're both shite, and at present its hard to disagree, but there's more to it for me. Chapman another prime example, must wonder why on earth he even bothered signing.

Managers in all walks of life are given targets, surely given the money he's spent play offs are his? He is failing, hopefully they pull the plug at the end of the season, not sure i can cope with another season of this.

8 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

How can we play with a false number 9, with Armstrong's,Graham , Samuel , Brereton and Gallagher all on the books ....it beggars belief..

Nothing surprises me about our club anymore. There are many of us who endured the lean years of the 70s and 80s where we were happy to turn out week in week out just to be part of a club that had players that tried and for whom the blue and white halves seemed to mean something. These days the history is all we seem to have to fall back on, because on the field we are a mystery and off the field we are a sound-bite-shambles. Add in a cocktail of potentially pernicious debt and the weirdest of owners, and it isn't hard to see why many of us believe the whole club needs to be swept through with a new broom. I'm not saying we should just capitulate and go into freefall through the leagues, but I do feel there is an opportunity coming to completely overhaul what it means to be a Blackburn Rovers supporter. I just hope that it isn't akin to what has happened at Gigg Lane...

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

Trying to be to clever it never worked with Dack earlier on this season. Play Gallagher and Armstrong centrally if you need to play Bennett stick him wide right and go to a 442 maybe 442 diamond play downing left back l, Rothwell on the left. We get worse as games go on graham is finished Samuel adds nowt 

We don’t want to be a midt-table team. We’ve come out of League One, we’ve consolidated and we want to push on and get into that top six.

Maybe this group of players aren’t ready for that yet.

That is a quote from Mowbray post match yesterday. It's the biggest admission yet that he is failing (although there is some buck passing) as this is his team, quite expensively assembled, and we have no identity, no way of playing, tactics which simply aren't suited to the players he has brought in and weaknesses in key positions. 

Quite simply we have peaked and now plateaued with Mowbray in charge. He is the archetypal win one, draw one and lose one manager.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Thoughts on TM, right now Chaddy? Not on the wind up - genuinely curious if you’d keep him.

same as before. No change for me for the same reasons I have posted last week. 

11 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

We won’t do a bristol city their owner has invested massively in sport in Bristol as a whole, he has a vision to make them PL and make the rugby team decent. The other thing is he’s a bristol city fan sort of the polar opposite of our owners 

Bristol City have made 31 million profit in the last 2 seasons. So even tho they are investing in the squad they are still selling key players like they did in the summer like Adam Webster and Lloyd Kelly plus Brownhill in January. 

10 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

In any other situation, Tony Mowbray would have been sacked by now or, at least, be extremely close to it. Despite wasting a further chunk of their money, for the reasons I mention above, I feel they will be very reluctant to part ways with their man and we’ll be stuck with him for the foreseeable. Throw in Waggott and the old pals act and there will be even less pressure to get rid of TM from within.

I don't know you can say this with any certain since we dont know what the target was the from owner for this season? was it top half half or top 10 or top 6 finish? who knows what they set Mowbray. 

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

I'd go for Keane with a clever coach to back him up.

Keane looks and is absolutely menacing and, IMO, our 'holiday club' would sh1t themselves!

Roy Keane? no thanks. Worst suggestion. Can't get a club job in the UK. 

no personality, no man management skills and no tactical knowledge. Football has move on from Keane management days. 

9 hours ago, Mercer said:

Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to have opportunity to see a number of managers and coaches put on sessions at different clubs.  The good ones stand out a mile with their passion, positivity, know-how and communication.

You mention pre match warm ups - one of the best with the ball I ever saw at Ewood was when McClaren was Fergie's number 2 at United.  It really fizzed and those lads were really buzzing - sadly, they were too much for Rovers that day.

why keep comparing us to some of the biggest clubs in the world or one of the greatest manager and his backroom team? McClaren is a quality coach but he isn't a manager. 

8 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

We don't need polls we need protests.

We want our Rovers back.

who are protesting against? The owners? or Mowbray?

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We don’t want to be a midt-table team. We’ve come out of League One, we’ve consolidated and we want to push on and get into that top six.

Maybe this group of players aren’t ready for that yet.

sounds like Mowbray is going to shake the squad this transfer window in order to get that top 6 next season

Why can’t you compare the motivational skills of managers and work ethic of teams just because they are in different leagues? You don’t need to be an elite footballer or manager for those.

Sheffield United are a prime example of how far mastering the basics of the game can take you, in their example from mid table League 1 to challenging for Europe in 3 years...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Roy Keane? no thanks. Worst suggestion. Can't get a club job in the UK. 

no personality, no man management skills and no tactical knowledge. Football has move on from Keane management days - Really ?  IMO, Mowbray certainly has none of the three qualities. 

why keep comparing us to some of the biggest clubs in the world or one of the greatest manager and his backroom team? McClaren is a quality coach but he isn't a manager.   Again, you miss the point.  My point was relative to pre match routines.  IMO, ours are so, so poor and underline just what a poor backroom staff we have.  Doesn't matter if United are a big club,  McClaren's session was electric and you could see just how the players responded.

who are protesting against? The owners? or Mowbray?

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

sounds like Mowbray is going to shake the squad this transfer window in order to get that top 6 next season

I don't know where you get that idea.

You are aware of the club finances, FFP situation and global (covid) situation but somehow you come to that conclusion, from words out of Mowbray's mouth ignoring the small key word. YET

Maybe this group of players aren’t ready for that yet.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What the feck then has he been doing since he came here then other than spunking a fortune up the wall on Brereton and Gallagher.

This is MOWBRAY'S SQUAD - all player trading has been his.  IMO, we are unbalanced, have gaping holes in key areas and, in the main, are bereft of quality.  It's all down to him.  Shambolic, IMO.

And you want more of the same!!! - wake up and smell the coffee Chaddy!!!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Marketable talent with big personality but sod any youth who just want a "stepping stone". Sod the academy it wouldn't be impossible to have a first team at this level without them and you could only sign players on bosman. Marketing wise that could be a plus if you only sign players on lengthy contracts (mostly 28 year olds on a 2 year cycle) and no release clauses. Only hire managers over 65 (who will likely have extensive network of contacts) so there's less chance of them leaving. Give them 5 year contracts and replace them at the end of that term. Danny Graham hasn't worked out so bad has he? Only reason Tiugay and Friedel were not sold was because of their age. You could say "well what if they hired a manager like Kean". Well make sure they aren't complete assholes and if it goes a bit stale then it goes a bit stale.

Still need (better) owners who would invest just enough to be competitive at Championship level. Why should anyone try to break the bank on FUP especially when people aren't even incensed by it. Is that taking a risk of being a "yo yo" club between Championship and L1? Yeah maybe it is but your way isn't any better. If Bilbao can get by only signing basque players and Union Berlin reached the Bundesliga (for years they wouldn't even pay transfer fees though that's been relaxed) what's impossible if you try hard enough? If you get into EPL and people feel the squad isn't good enough due to such signing policies replace all of them. That might be seen as unconventional but so what? Telling owners how much they can spend is unconventional and if people submissively accept that then why couldn't they accept this? You can have a future if you dare to be different. I would rather have players like Graham than players like Dack who are constantly linked with moves away. OK maybe Graham does not have an "outrageous personality" but if you allow players freedom at the very least they might not come across as corporate puppets. Not that I think Graham comes across that way anyhow. 

If there was ever a time to be unconventional and creative it's now. An attitude where the club says "we refuse to be used as a stepping stone". Is that really so bad? The club is being "held back" by refusing to listen to me just like many posters on here. If you take risks on signing policies and it works you might attract more fans who are attracted to a club that "does things it's own way". Every single one of you should copy/paste this (perhaps without the bit about Venkys as people at the club can't do anything about them besides encourage) and send it to the club perhaps via Lynsey Talbot. Then post a screenshot (black out name if you want) to prove it. That's what you should all be doing but you won't.

Edited by Vinjay

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Really ?  IMO, Mowbray certainly has none of the three qualities. 

Mercer, we arent going to agree Mowbray or Keane at all. I wanted Mowbray to stay as manager for next season and I have said who I would pick to replace him after he goes. I aint wavering from this

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I don't know where you get that idea.

You are aware of the club finances, FFP situation and global (covid) situation but somehow you come to that conclusion, from words out of Mowbray's mouth ignoring the small key word. YET

Maybe this group of players aren’t ready for that yet.

Yes I am aware of the FFP situation, blimey I have been posting about it all last week. Did you miss all them? 

The squad can been change by not renewing the out of contract players and selling one or 2 players like Nyambe to give you some movement plus I suspect the FFP rules will be relax has UEFA have done. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How is he going to do that when he admitted last week he has no idea as to his budget and probably won't do until he goes to India to request it, which is likely to be August?

Even if by some miracle they decide to give him more money to spend, would you seriously have confidence in him using it to get to the top 6 next season given the huge wages he has used up on players he rarely uses?

The aim shouldn't be top 6 anyway, in the same way his aim this season shouldn't have been 70 points. It is setting the bar too low. You aim for automatic promotion then take the top 6 as a consolation if that can't be achieved. You reckon any of the managers currently in the top 6 started the season aiming for 3rd to 6th?

• Like 5

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Mercer, we arent going to agree Mowbray or Keane at all. I wanted Mowbray to stay as manager for next season and I have said who I would pick to replace him after he goes. I aint wavering from this

Yes I am aware of the FFP situation, blimey I have been posting about it all last week. Did you miss all them? 

The squad can been change by not renewing the out of contract players and selling one or 2 players like Nyambe to give you some movement plus I suspect the FFP rules will be relax has UEFA have done. 

Simple question Chaddy - WHY?

Get a poll organised on here and I bet 90% want him out.

Just now, JHRover said:

How is he going to do that when he admitted last week he has no idea as to his budget and probably won't do until he goes to India to request it, which is likely to be August?

Even if by some miracle they decide to give him more money to spend, would you seriously have confidence in him using it to get to the top 6 next season given the huge wages he has used up on players he rarely uses?

The aim shouldn't be top 6 anyway, in the same way his aim this season shouldn't have been 70 points. It is setting the bar too low. You aim for automatic promotion then take the top 6 as a consolation if that can't be achieved. You reckon any of the managers currently in the top 6 started the season aiming for 3rd to 6th?

as he said last week he has different budget transfer lists for different budgets. I would imagine he is talking to the owners weekly anyway. He could miss could Reading game and fly over to India to meet the owners if that's that what they want. Better way is to use Video Communicating at Ewood Park to the owners and set a budget for the season. 

Let the out of contract players leave after this month apart from possible Downing who has good overall apart from the last 3 games as I said in the summer transfer window thread. Plus other players available for transfers but its look like we will need one of 2 players to sold. Hopefully FFP rules will be relax as UEFA have done. You have your problems with FFP rules but they are there cos clubs wanted them in place. 

I hope I am proved wrong but I don’t think TM is going anywhere. If that is so, my simple solution (for me), I will stop going until there is a change. I cannot alter The Rovers, but I can alter their effect on me.

• Like 2