BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed but setting a target of 70 points is completely pointless anyway as I can't remember the last time that figure got anyone into the play offs, the figure is usually at least 74 or 75.

Who on earth sets a target of finishing just outside the play offs? I'm sure Mowbray was aware of what he was saying and it just goes to emphasise how he is taking everyone and the owners for fools by doing the bare minimum, muddling along and keeping himself and his coaching staff and the majority of his squad in a long term job.

If he wasn't aware that 70 points doesn't secure a play off place then that merely serves to underline his incompetence and the fact that he was never really serious about aiming for promotion in the first place.

That and claiming not to know who McLaughlin was! Sunderland’s keeper 5 miles down the road from where he lives. It’s like any of us not knowing who plays for Burnley .

so it’s either Bare faced lies or complete Incompetence . Take your pick . 
The mowbray conversation is exactly the same stuff as everyone expressed last August . A last minute mess of a window by a dinosaur who doesn’t know what he’s building  Or the new style of football we are still all waiting for a year on .

Nice man probably, total clown of a manager . Having no personality , which he hasn’t, doesn’t make him any better than Many of his predecessors.

if our budget was based on  the bullshit that comes out of that club we’d be loaded .

Edited by TBTF

I think he might be about to go from coasting it to having a very difficult job next season given what may happen with the covid fall out and budgets etc.

We'll see what the cosy jobs for the boys club he seems to rely so heavily on is really made of. The loss of a couple of top players like Dack & Armstrong, the absence of any luxury style loaness and the inability financially to bring much in other than freebies and lower end loans would there be enough in what he's 'built' to even make midtable ?

That's how flimsy it is if you break it down, at present we remain one step away from being a really good side - a good reliable striker would have made all the difference these past few games, or a younger Danny Graham.

Yet we are also one step away from potentially being a really struggling one.  We need the bean counters to find the Boris magic money tree this summer as much as ever. 

• Like 1

Very predictable by TM in the Telegraph, whining about Dack being out was always going to be just around the corner. The problem is its his fault we've got so few options all over the pitch, including £12m spent on two strikers that currently look non league standard. Really winds me up how he appears to not have to answer for being bang average at his job. 

Edited by CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber
  • Like 3

His strengths and his blind spots just about balance each other out i think and that reflects itself in the league positions and transfer business. Any real internal pressure and i think he'd crumble pretty quickly just cast the minds back to that horrendous run when he was whinging about being ( 1.5 hrs ) away from his family and having 2 week breaks etc.

It almost sounded like he wanted sacking sometimes to be put out of his misery he definitely looked like he needed a break. Also lets not forget how much he and Waggot have convinced them to spend on the infrastructure recently.  There's the alleged new scouting network and they employ people to sit in offices watching players then they employ people to fly drones around the training pitch filming everything. There's probably a host of other stuff as well.

Make no mistake these lot are costing the club a lot of money on top of the transfer fees yet we aren't seeing any bang for the bucks really yet. Sooner or later surely he's going to get pulled up on it.

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18562931.not-level---mowbray-rovers-fading-play-off-hopes/

Mowbray saying we aren't at the level of play-offs/automatic promotion, i mean he's right.

Sounds like the aim was just to build on a higher placed finish than last seasons 15th place to make it to the top 10.

"We’re Blackburn Rovers, hopefully around the top 10 this year, but last year, 16th."

He also apparently knows why we are inconsistent.

“It’s frustrating, but I know the reasons. I’ve been in the game a long time and I know where we are as a club."

I think we're very much at a cross road again as a club, going into this summer gives me a very familiar feeling of the summer of 2015.

Remember the optimism of the opening game of that season against Cardiff, a decent crowd on and on paper a side that looked like it could challenge. We stumbled a bit before finally spending around two weeks in the top 6 around November time, before an awful Christmas period and an inconsistent second half of the season, which was masked by a good FA Cup run. That side had Rhodes & Gestede scoring 20 goals each, King, Cairney, Marshall & Conway as other attacking outlets, along with a back four including Hanley, Duffy & Baptiste, with an ex England GK behind them. We ended up finishing 9th and 11 points off the play offs. Bowyers time was clearly up, but we held on and soon enough FFP bit, Gestede & Cairney were sold on, to be replaced by Danny Guthrie & Nathan Delfounso, downhill for the next two years followed by a relegation. 

I can see things going the same way this summer unfortunately.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 9

54 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18562931.not-level---mowbray-rovers-fading-play-off-hopes/

Mowbray saying we aren't at the level of play-offs/automatic promotion, i mean he's right.

Sounds like the aim was just to build on a higher placed finish than last seasons 15th place to make it to the top 10.

"We’re Blackburn Rovers, hopefully around the top 10 this year, but last year, 16th."

He also apparently knows why we are inconsistent.

“It’s frustrating, but I know the reasons. I’ve been in the game a long time and I know where we are as a club."

Well he's nearly right, we finished 15th..........

Strewth, we're struggling if he can't even remember where we finished last season and he thinks 70 points normally secures a play off berth.

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well he's nearly right, we finished 15th..........

Strewth, we're struggling if he can't even remember where we finished last season and he thinks 70 points normally secures a play off berth.

What are we on now 56 points, with 5 to play?

Looks like we will fall short of the 70 point target set by Mogga at the start. 3 tough games next leaving Luton, who have already beaten us this season) and Reading (who we did beat earlier this season)

I reckon we'll get a max of 61 points in total, putting us just 1 point above last seasons tally. 

I guess technically, it's still progress ?

Edited by davulsukur

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's the football on display most of the time that does my head in. Dull, uninspiring, unimaginative, boring, tedious, gutless, I could fill a page with similar adjectives but they would all equally apply to the manager as well. For me football is there to get your blood racing and your heart pounding, it's to send you home with excitement coursing through your body. At the moment it's more likely to send you to sleep. Do they not realise they're supposed to be part of the " entertainment Industry " ?

When we keep going on long winless runs anyway i don't see why he's so risk averse to just having a go. The last 3 games sums it all up for me.

He says we probably aren't at that top 6 level yet and he's right but neither are Preston and a host of other clubs but somebody will take those spots. I'd ask is he at that level himself in terms of ambition and balls ?

It doesn't look like it and on another note i'm sure a 12 million injection over 2 summers would transform a few into being there. 

All you ask as a fan is that he and they fight tooth and nail for the prize when it's in touching distance.

43 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When we keep going on long winless runs anyway i don't see why he's so risk averse to just having a go. The last 3 games sums it all up for me.

He says we probably aren't at that top 6 level yet and he's right but neither are Preston and a host of other clubs but somebody will take those spots. I'd ask is he at that level himself in terms of ambition and balls ?

It doesn't look like it and on another note i'm sure a 12 million injection over 2 summers would transform a few into being there. 

All you ask as a fan is that he and they fight tooth and nail for the prize when it's in touching distance.

The way we allowed Wigan to walk away with the number 1 spot when we got promoted spoke volumes for me. Chances like that come along once or twice a generation if you're lucky.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that the " Chicken Chokers " end game is to demoralise and reduce the fan base to such a point that they can wrap the club up and there won't be enough people left to make a fuss. Look at Bury.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The way we allowed Wigan to walk away with the number 1 spot when we got promoted spoke volumes for me. Chances like that come along once or twice a generation if you're lucky.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that the " Chicken Chokers " end game is to demoralise and reduce the fan base to such a point that they can wrap the club up and there won't be enough people left to make a fuss. Look at Bury.

Said it half a dozen times before but if going into these last few games Mowbrays arse was on the line they'd have all come out fighting on the front foot. It's a good bet we'd have taken 3 to 9 points we've seen it before but we always see too much of is the tepid stuff we even saw it fighting relegation.

There was no pressure on them after the lockdown just a case of lets go all guns blazing to win as many as we can and see were we end up. What we've seen since we caught Bristol cold is akin to pre season stuff, tap it about and get as many involved as possible.  Really got me angry that more than anything Mowbray says or even his persistence with the nonsense with Gallagher.

Actions speak louder than words and what we've seen speaks volumes about the lack of urgency running through the whole camp.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sounds like he going nowhere and Venkys are happy with him. 

Mowbray's own personal target was 70 points and he is going to fall short of that. He seems to be teflon and must have the easiest job in football. Seemingly no pressure on him, brings his mate in as CEO, gives contracts to all his favourites and spins the clueless uninterested owners a few line of how rosy everything is. It honestly does seem like he has the job for as long as he wants it and he knows it.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray's own personal target was 70 points and he is going to fall short of that. He seems to be teflon and must have the easiest job in football. Seemingly no pressure on him, brings his mate in as CEO, gives contracts to all his favourites and spins the clueless uninterested owners and few line of how rosy everything is. It honestly does seem like he has the job for as long as he wants it and he knows it.

It's even better now they're playing behind closed doors. There isn't a  possibility of a " Mowbray Out " chant anymore.

Its just depressing when reading Mowbray's comments.

I could accept the rubbish performances and missing the play offs and even the manager having another chance next season if he was going to come out fighting and promise a new approach, ruthless action to change it, acceptance that it is last chance saloon time.

But his latest comments are just awful. Basically incremental improvements are great, a dollop of 'making players better' to appeal to the money men, I work hard, I make people better. Talking again about this style of play which he obsesses over despite it being meaningless if we get put away by sides like Barnsley. I'm not interested in 'dominating'. Why can't he just focus on sorting the shambles of a defence out? Back at 2+ goals against per game now.

It is also quite clear from the comments that he is sending veiled messages to India and hasn't actually spoken to the owners directly.

'I'll be waiting on a call and seeing what their expectation is and what they want to do'

This has to be one of the more disturbing comments I have heard from Mowbray. Remarkably similar to the stuff Lambert used to come out with when he was waiting on answers from India but only got silence. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Its just depressing when reading Mowbray's comments.

I could accept the rubbish performances and missing the play offs and even the manager having another chance next season if he was going to come out fighting and promise a new approach, ruthless action to change it, acceptance that it is last chance saloon time.

But his latest comments are just awful. Basically incremental improvements are great, a dollop of 'making players better' to appeal to the money men, I work hard, I make people better. Talking again about this style of play which he obsesses over despite it being meaningless if we get put away by sides like Barnsley. I'm not interested in 'dominating'. Why can't he just focus on sorting the shambles of a defence out? Back at 2+ goals against per game now.

It is also quite clear from the comments that he is sending veiled messages to India and hasn't actually spoken to the owners directly.

'I'll be waiting on a call and seeing what their expectation is and what they want to do'

This has to be one of the more disturbing comments I have heard from Mowbray. Remarkably similar to the stuff Lambert used to come out with when he was waiting on answers from India but only got silence. 

However you rate TM the concluding points in your post show how difficult it is going to be for anyone who gets the top job - so much so it will deter the better people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Mowbray's own personal target was 70 points and he is going to fall short of that. He seems to be teflon and must have the easiest job in football. Seemingly no pressure on him, brings his mate in as CEO, gives contracts to all his favourites and spins the clueless uninterested owners a few line of how rosy everything is. It honestly does seem like he has the job for as long as he wants it and he knows it.

One of the best jobs in football he seems to get whatever he asks for.

It's about time they asked for a proper stab at the top 6 in the not too distant future.

• Like 1