BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sounds like he going nowhere and Venkys are happy with him. 

He wont be going anywhere, but not because of the reasons outlined by an amateur journalist echoing a false narrative that Venkys (or the Venkys) are following a linear progression and are genuinely interested in what is going on and can see what Mowbray is doing. He will stay because we of course are not doing disastrously, he has done well over the course of his time but mainly that he has his mate as CEO and is very forthcoming in flying to India when needed and putting up with their strange ways. The reason that their expectations havent changed throughout the season is because they arent invested enough emotionally in the first place. I am unsure how Mowbray thinks we are on target, his target was 70 points if I recall correctly where as now even beating last seasons 60 point tally is in the balance.

I think a perfect example of a very confused and illogical attempt to progress us tactically can be perfectly shown post lockdown. I actually do see some sense in making us more possession but the way he has tried to do it is bizarre. If a false 9 and inside forwards based 4-3-3 is the way he has always seen us playing, then why would he bring it in 9 games from the end of the season and after a 3 month break. It hasnt worked and like with 3 at the back he instantly reverts back and gives up on it, until 6 months down the line when he will probably try it again. On Saturday, he reverted back to his strange comfort blanket of having Gallagher on the wing, as if thats always a safe bet.

I suppose a late run of wins (or losses) could put a different slant on the season but again with numerous games to spare we have nothing to play for. The recruitment in the summer was (Waggott touched upon this in one of the fans forum things I believe) that signing Johnson, Downing etc was done to try and help out a young squad and give it some experience and know how. This was also meant to be Breretons breakthrough season! I just reflect on this season as it comes to a close and look towards next and I dont see how we have pushed on. The main thing has been Armstrongs progression but ultimately we have swapped that with Graham coming to the end.

One thing I would add is that for those keen to point out Venkys and the likelihood of them appointing someone ridiculous, it is for me a bit of an avoidance of the matter at hand. "I don't have anything constructive to defend the manager, err we could get Phil Brown" isnt a defence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He wont be going anywhere, but not because of the reasons outlined by an amateur journalist echoing a false narrative that Venkys (or the Venkys) are following a linear progression and are genuinely interested in what is going on and can see what Mowbray is doing. He will stay because we of course are not doing disastrously, he has done well over the course of his time but mainly that he has his mate as CEO and is very forthcoming in flying to India when needed and putting up with their strange ways. The reason that their expectations havent changed throughout the season is because they arent invested enough emotionally in the first place. I am unsure how Mowbray thinks we are on target, his target was 70 points if I recall correctly where as now even beating last seasons 60 point tally is in the balance.

I think a perfect example of a very confused and illogical attempt to progress us tactically can be perfectly shown post lockdown. I actually do see some sense in making us more possession but the way he has tried to do it is bizarre. If a false 9 and inside forwards based 4-3-3 is the way he has always seen us playing, then why would he bring it in 9 games from the end of the season and after a 3 month break. It hasnt worked and like with 3 at the back he instantly reverts back and gives up on it, until 6 months down the line when he will probably try it again. On Saturday, he reverted back to his strange comfort blanket of having Gallagher on the wing, as if thats always a safe bet.

I suppose a late run of wins (or losses) could put a different slant on the season but again with numerous games to spare we have nothing to play for. The recruitment in the summer was (Waggott touched upon this in one of the fans forum things I believe) that signing Johnson, Downing etc was done to try and help out a young squad and give it some experience and know how. This was also meant to be Breretons breakthrough season! I just reflect on this season as it comes to a close and look towards next and I dont see how we have pushed on. The main thing has been Armstrongs progression but ultimately we have swapped that with Graham coming to the end.

One thing I would add is that for those keen to point out Venkys and the likelihood of them appointing someone ridiculous, it is for me a bit of an avoidance of the matter at hand. "I don't have anything constructive to defend the manager, err we could get Phil Brown" isnt a defence.

Phil Brown, like Owen Coyle before him, is the future - even for those in denial.

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Phil Brown, like Owen Coyle before him, is the future - even for those in denial.

Youve literally just plucked a random name out of the air and now are consistently using it as a primary argument.

Do you think that for a normal club in the same situation as us, that you would allow Mowbray to continue or make a change?

• Like 2

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Youve literally just plucked a random name out of the air and now are consistently using it as a primary argument.

Do you think that for a normal club in the same situation as us, that you would allow Mowbray to continue or make a change?

The obvious reply which I will give you is that in 2020 Rovers are not normal.

Brown spent 12 to 14 months in Pune - ticks the boxes Coyle ticked.

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

The obvious reply which I will give you is that in 2020 Rovers are not normal.

Brown spent 12 to 14 months in Pune - ticks the boxes Coyle ticked.

You are quite clearly solely of the purpose to wind up and antagonize so I will stop there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Phil Brown is too old they prefer the younger end.

Mowbray was far and away the most experienced they've gone for after realising their gambles on younger ones was misguided. He was only about 52 Brown is 61.

Not happening but keep scaremongering it suits you.

Just now, tomphil said:

Phil Brown is too old they prefer the younger end.

Mowbray was far and away the most experienced they've gone for after realising their gambles on younger ones was misguided. He was only about 52 Brown is 61.

Not happening but keep scaremongering it suits you.

Post it as I see it - been right so far.

Post it as I see it - been right so far.

About what ?

You're in your own echo chamber. If you're in the know tell us otherwise you'll be taken with a pinch of salt like the rest of us.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Stood up to be counted when I predicted TM would not get us relegated - proven completely right.

When was this? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sounds like he going nowhere and Venkys are happy with him. 

IMO, total bullsh1t and an insult to the intelligence of supporters.

If anyone buys that nonsense then I suggest they look up their local Priory clinic.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Stood up to be counted when I predicted TM would not get us relegated - proven completely right.

I think your point was more that we were making considerable progress which is highly debatable given we're still four points shy of last season's points total.

You were predicting us going down - I stood in the minority to counter.

I don't know if I ever said we were definitely going down, I thought it was far more likely we'd go down than we'd get in the play offs that's for sure.

Still think that's the situation going forward if he stays as well.

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Im not happy with him Chaddy, are you?

Haven't already reply this sort of questions in previous days Sparks to different posters on here?

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If Venkys are happy with Mowbray's progress and top half finish then fair enough. It would nice and welcome if they make statement saying what their targets was for the season. 

Do you honestly think Waggott has the power to sack manager or ever had the power to do so?

So you agree with Rovers becoming a more possession based team? 

I agree with this false 9 point you make and he should be playing our best striker Armstrong in the 9 role. Didn't Mowbray said that he moved to 3 man midfield cos they way we got over run in midfield like the Derby game where Travis and Downing were outnumbered and they walk pass our centre midfielders? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Haven't already reply this sort of questions in previous days Sparks to different posters on here?

If Venkys are happy with Mowbray's progress and top half finish then fair enough. It would nice and welcome if they make statement saying what their targets was for the season. 

Do you honestly think Waggott has the power to sack manager or ever had the power to do so?

I agree with this false 9 point you make and he should be playing our best striker Armstrong in the 9 role. Didn't Mowbray said that he moved to 3 man midfield cos they way we got over run in midfield like the Derby game where Travis and Downing were outnumbered and they walk pass our centre midfielders? 

In the days when Venkys made statements they were ridiculed - won't happen now.

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

maybe the way forward is to kidnap the useless **** and hold mowbray to ransom,resign or you`ll get elliot back in permanently injured mode

Tony would pay the ransom out of his own pocket and even if you chopped a leg off Benno would still be the first name on the team sheet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think your problem is that you are viewing the situation as if we have normal, interested and knowledgable owners. As if they are thinking, we can see a progression, we understand the change in style etc. And as if they are saying well we will be happy with a top half finish this year as part of a gradual plan.  Im sure that Mowbray sets his own personal targets and he is a man who does clearly care but he wont be held accountable by anyone but the fans if he fails to achieve them.

I sort of understand why he would want to have more control over games but there are so many areas in which his actions make no sense or are inconsistent and illogical with such a plan. If he has wanted to play 433 with a false 9 and wide strikers, something that we both agree is a load of bollocks. Why has it only come about after a 3 month break, 9 games before the end of the season after a solitary negative result? At least do it with some conviction if you are going to do it, not from game 38 to game 40 and then ditch it again.

You add to that, why isnt his transfer recruitment geared to enabling such a transformation. Why spend all of your money on a really clumsy and technically poor striker? And then mainly play him out wide? Why sign on big wages a central midfielder as bad as I can remember at taking the ball on the half turn, comstantly giving the ball away? Adarabioyo and Downing fit the remit more but one is on loan and one is 35, the building blocks to a tactical transformation? No chance.

You also mention Waggott and Mowbrays relationship. Do I think Waggott holds a lot of power? No. But does it help Mowbray having a mate as a go between to the owners? Of course.

I look at this season, over with 5 or 6 games to go, probably going to finish on similar points. No real progression on tactical changes. No real progression on our squad this summer compared to last. No 7m striker from last year having a break through season as promised. How is it progression?