BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Haven't we been over this Stuart before? Why don't you accept that other posters have a different view of Mowbray and the job he has done then yourself. Are you going to accept it? 

Do you mean agents? 

If so, Gallagher's agent is crown football and Brereton's agent is Wasserman 

Here is a list of Rovers player's agent

https://www.transfermarkt.com.hr/blackburn-rovers/berateruebersicht/verein/164

Seemingly, a huge majority (almost 80%) want him out!

There is not a single person in my circle of Rovers' fans who wants Rovers to keep Mowbray.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The fact that hes totally in the dark about the budget to the extent that he doesnt even know when he will found out really shows how disinterested our twattish owners are.

But hey, lets be grateful that we havent gone into administration!

Without wishing to defend their record over the entire period of ownership I think that's rather harsh on the owners.

Since we were relegated to League 1 Mowbray has had excellent budgets to work with and since promotion back to the Championship he has largely wasted it, as much on wages by handing out unnecessary contracts as the £12m in transfer fees wasted on SG and BB. To the point where we don't even own a keeper going forward. Arguably the most important position in the team.

If there is financial turmoil in India it's maybe understandable that budgets for next season haven't been forthcoming yet. In an ideal world you'd hope the delay and apparent silence was because the owners are dissatisfied with what they've seen on and off the pitch over the last two seasons and are considering major changes.

I doubt it, you can but dream though.

Just now, Mercer said:

Seemingly, a huge majority (almost 80%) want him out!

There is not a single person in my circle of Rovers' fans who wants Rovers to keep Mowbray.

Point is? 

Still plenty of support out there whether it facebook and Twitter groups for Mowbray. 

Anyway I not going to keep going this every day. I have posted my views on Mowbray and it ain't change. 

Got to say, I can’t say I see what Mercer sees, I can’t particularly feel much of a groundswell for him to go.

The best thing to happen for the club, in terms of scrutiny, was that relegation, we are now a club ‘that was in League 1 not long ago’, so plodding along in Championship mid table with a nice fella like Mowbray and owners ‘who put more money in than Jack’ is fine for evermore with most fans I come across out there.

Try and say you expect the club to strive for better and you are usually shot down as we are ‘a small club’.

Thank you Venky’s, from the most successful town club in the country, the archetypal ‘big club in a small town’, to being grateful to those fools in Pune for not playing Fleetwood each year... 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

They'll never do that whilst there are assets to cash in it wouldn't make any sense really. Like last time we were sailing close to the wind the 30 million they recouped reset the clock for a bit longer.

Bound to need re sting again soon though.

Other option is for the next 12 months to reduce the amount they will put in down to £3m for the season, meaning we need to generate or reduce costs by £12m. If they do want to do that, there will be no contract extensions and all sellable players will be gone. So we'll need someone better than Tony at developing youth players and much more experienced at player trading to put a team out for next season.

I am not sure which is worse administration or death by a 1000 cuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

What assets can they cash in ?

Playing assets although the prices aren't likely to be what they might have been.

I think a lot of clubs might be battening down the hatches this summer but then again if you are ambitious that will open up doors.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Playing assets although the prices aren't likely to be what they might have been.

I think a lot of clubs might be battening down the hatches this summer but then again if you are ambitious that will open up doors.

I concur but if nobody's buying there's nothing to sell.

26 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If you've got something to buy with.

Dependent on the budget the freeing up of deadwood might allow the wages of one decent bargain to be snapped up. That's the kind of wheeling and dealing good strong managers do.

Weak ones waste money on their favs and their pals pals.

Over to Tony.

• Like 1

3 things that will end up defining this season

In no particular order......

1)  The poor efforts in losing 3 in a row after lockdown and the good start.  Having got yourselves in a good position with not many left and nothing to fear in 2 of them you simply have to go for it.  We didn't, end of.

2)  The loss of Dack - Whilst i don't adhere to the assumption we'd be loads of points better off as it's never that simplistic i'm pretty confident we'd have at least 3 more.

3)  The 5 million wasted following on from the silly punt the summer before.  Wrong player, wrong position...again.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Mowbray has signed four players (Holtby, Rothwell, Brereton, Gallagher) who all play their best football in the same position- Dack's position.

I'm not sure Gallagher is a number 10.

I remain convinced that Brereton & Gallagher were signed to learn "our way of playing" as Mowbray always puts it, in view to replacing the Dack/Graham partnership from the 20/21 season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'm not sure Gallagher is a number 10.

I remain convinced that Brereton & Gallagher were signed to learn "our way of playing" as Mowbray always puts it, in view to replacing the Dack/Graham partnership from the 20/21 season.

If Dack is being replaced by Rothwell/Holtby and Graham is being replaced by Gallagher/Brereton, then Dack’s injury and Graham’s age should have provided a great opportunity to get them used to that this season. Instead he has played all four of them predominantly as wide forwards - to poor effect.

Personally I’m with @philipl and would expand to say that we’ve not really had much of a plan at all. They just became available. Gally in particular was an ex-loanee so “knew the club”. Rothwell and Holtby were opportune. Brereton is the only curious one. Certainly an investment given his pedigree as an England youth international but how many of those have failed to kick on? The price tag alone may have ruined that lad because of the expectation. Especially when it was one the club couldn’t afford.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If Dack is being replaced by Rothwell/Holtby and Graham is being replaced by Gallagher/Brereton, then Dack’s injury and Graham’s age should have provided a great opportunity to get them used to that this season. Instead he has played all four of them predominantly as wide forwards - to poor effect.

Personally I’m with @philipl and would expand to say that we’ve not really had much of a plan at all. They just became available. Gally in particular was an ex-loanee so “knew the club”. Rothwell and Holtby were opportune. Brereton is the only curious one. Certainly an investment given his pedigree as an England youth international but how many of those have failed to kick on? The price tag alone may have ruined that lad because of the expectation. Especially when it was one the club couldn’t afford.

I think Brereton replacing Dack & Gallagher replacing Graham ready for next season was the initial thinking behind signing them both in 2018 & 19 respectively, but in between that it seems to have all gone to pot with Mowbray constantly changing formation and personnel, plus the fact that the two mentioned have ended up being terrible signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think Brereton replacing Dack & Gallagher replacing Graham ready for next season was the initial thinking behind signing them both in 2018 & 19 respectively, but in between that it seems to have all gone to pot with Mowbray constantly changing formation and personnel, plus the fact that the two mentioned have ended up being terrible signings.

Agreed.

Mowbrays constant Tombola has destroyed both of those boys confidence and made them look completely ineffectual.

Mismanagement being the main issue.

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed.

Mowbrays constant Tombola has destroyed both of those boys confidence and made them look completely ineffectual.

Mismanagement being the main issue.

Were Gallagher and Brereton particularly good players when we signed them? I would suggest not.

Not saying that Mowbray should have ever played them wide but I don't think they could go somewhere else and tear it up.

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Were Gallagher and Brereton particularly good players when we signed them? I would suggest not.

Not saying that Mowbray should have ever played them wide but I don't think they could go somewhere else and tear it up.

Enough to score 10 goals you'd have thought/hoped. But Mowbray chooses to play them out of position

6 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I’d honestly be surprised if Brereton was bought to replace Dack, Mark. Unless nobody did any scouting on him. He is nothing like a Dack replacement. Again, this would have meant a change of style.

But let’s say I’m wrong. As soon as Dack got injured Mowbray should have put his faith in Brereton to take his place. Not sure what went through Mowbray’s mind you play him wide but as you say, it very much went to pot.

• Like 1

While I think his time is up due to his non-firing star strikers, it is noticeable oh here that issues labelled as clearly due to his incompetence never gets a favourable mention when they go away. I was struck by Sharp’s observation that we are only one of two teams to not let in any goals at all throughout the season after the 85th minute, whereas last season, when we constantly let in late goals, it was entirely due to a rubbish fitness regime and tactical incompetence.

This seasons bête noir of giving away early leads I suspect will turn out to be mainly due to having a shite keeper than anything else.

• Like 1