BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Mattyblue said:

To be fair Mercer you’ve been saying this since the day you joined.

Look, I've thought for some time Venky's would look to 'get out'.

For some reason, they haven't.

However, I think circumstances have changed.  They are some 10 years into their very expensive 'project' (almost £200million gone in with the likelihood of no return) and it must be difficult for them to see any sort of progress whatsoever in getting back to those halycon days when they bought a top 10 PL club - our regression has been staggering!  It would seem their business in India has also been hit hard with the pandemic.  In business, including football, a 'tipping point' is always reached.  In football we've seen this with Hayward at Wolves, Davies at Bolton and Whelan with Wigan. 

I don't think the 'mood music' is good and it's getting louder.

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You are not alone!!!

Things just don't feel right (relative to how Venky's have been since buying Rovers) at the moment.

Not scaremongering but in some 60 years of supporting the club, never, ever felt we are so vulnerable to insolvency and the abyss.  In business, there is always a 'tipping point'.

I agree and I know that you have often echoed these sentiments but I have to say that I feel like there’s something different about this situation.

I think the manager is giving huge hints as to his predicament in not understanding what finances he has at his disposal. It will be playing hell with his feng shui In terms of keeping the group happy. There’s a lot of players in that group who literally have no idea what will be happening next season. Sure, Venkys have been slow to the party on many occasions but they usually make sure contracts and they balance’ is kept.

I really hope they just announce that the budget is set, keep the ones they want and let the rest go ASAP. I don’t want to go back to us being a basket case club.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Unfortunately a lot of people have forgotten what good, forensic journalism should be.

Remember the grief Sharpe got earlier in the season for a perfectly fair (and mild) critique?

Was that about Sam Gallagher? I think I remember that. The clubs/players response to that was pretty shocking.

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Look, I've thought for some time Venky's would look to 'get out'.

For some reason, they haven't.

However, I think circumstances have changed.  They are some 10 years into their very expensive 'project' (almost £200million gone in with the likelihood of no return) and it must be difficult for them to see any sort of progress whatsoever in getting back to those halycon days when they bought a top 10 PL club - our regression has been staggering!  It would seem their business in India has also been hit hard with the pandemic.  In business, including football, a 'tipping point' is always reached.  In football we've seen this with Hayward at Wolves, Davies at Bolton and Whelan with Wigan. 

I don't think the 'mood music' is good and it's getting louder.

None of this has made sense since day 1.

But I’m pretty sure you said the exact same thing two years ago, you certainly did around 2013.

No point judging this bizarre lot by most norms of business.

I like Sharpe ... has his way of getting the message over .. Bays just likes to be a diplomat and knows which side his bread butters up more nicely.... 

I don’t Understand him as he covers all the Lancashire Clubs so no big deal if he asks the questions at one particular club . Sure he knows what the mood of the fans is ...These managers come & go .. 

There's been a lot of good stuff written on here since the end of the game last night,a lot of passionate supporters putting their opinions across,i just wish the people running the club had half the passion we do,with Mowbray and Waggott at the helm i can only see more seasons of drab,uninspiring football ahead with no chance of promotion,just treading water as a mid table team.The fact that in a game where it was win or bust they put in a performance like that shows Mowbray has no motivation skills,i'm guessing they have stopped listening to him and his voice just goes in one ear and out of the other for most players in the team.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

There's been a lot of good stuff written on here since the end of the game last night,a lot of passionate supporters putting their opinions across,i just wish the people running the club had half the passion we do,with Mowbray and Waggott at the helm i can only see more seasons of drab,uninspiring football ahead with no chance of promotion,just treading water as a mid table team.

I think he do a disservice to Mowbray about having no passion about the club and its fans. Mowbray has loads of passion for this football club. You can tell this from his interview over his tenure at the club and from speaking to him. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think he do a disservice to Mowbray about having no passion about the club and its fans. Mowbray has loads of passion for this football club. You can tell this from his interview over his tenure at the club and from speaking to him. 

We'll have to agree to disagree,this club is his pension plan,few more years doddering around in the championship picking up millions in wages,with his mate Waggott around theres no chance of him being fired.A few more years then he'll be retiring back up the North East to count his money,do you feel inspired after hearing any of his interviews? i've never once thought he instills passion in the players,half are probably struggling to stay awake after on of his team talks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What I pick up from his interviews is a man who plays favourites and says one thing and does another. 

For example: defenders are coming - starts Mulgrew game 1, they only come on loan, and the bare minimum arrive, leaving us still threadbare for over half the season.  

I picked Bennett because Nayambe had played a lot of games - in other words he has favourites. 

I highlight Nayambe's mistakes in the press but not Bennett's - more favouritism. 

I stopped the owners from spending money, told them to put away the cheque book - I may be imagining this one but if true you wonder what's going on. Heaven knows the squad has needed strengthening for two years. 

We have a European scouting system - yet no players from it. 

I'll be honest his comments don't make me think he has passion but that he's full of horse manure. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Mowbray had passion about the club and its fans then, IMO, he would walk as surely he can see the roof is about to cave in - that's what happens when you build your foundations on sand.

2 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

We'll have to agree to disagree,this club is his pension plan,few more years doddering around in the championship picking up millions in wages,with his mate Waggott around theres no chance of him being fired.A few more years then he'll be retiring back up the North East to count his money,do you feel inspired after hearing any of his interviews? i've never once thought he instills passion in the players,half are probably struggling to stay awake after on of his team talks.

I like his interviews. 

Waggott doesn't have the authority to sack Mowbray. That's will be owner decision. 

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We have a European scouting system - yet no players from it. 

This European Scouting System has been up and running for around 7 or 8 months with us. So hopefully this summer we will see signings from this European Scouting System. 

3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

For example: defenders are coming - starts Mulgrew game 1, they only come on loan, and the bare minimum arrive, leaving us still threadbare for over half the season.

Mulgrew only started that game cos Williams and Adarabioyo were injured. 

I noticed last night Mulgrew wasnt on the bench last night but Carter was. Mulgrew days at the club are done. He needs to move on and find a club where he will play regular. 

I noticed last night Mulgrew wasnt on the bench last night but Carter was. Mulgrew days at the club are done. He needs to move on and find a club where he will play regular. 

Yet when Lenihan was missing at Barnsley it was Mulgrew not Carter who started. Mowbray has no faith in young players.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like his interviews. 

Waggott doesn't have the authority to sack Mowbray. That's will be owner decision. 

And if the remarkable happens and they decide to do the best thing for the club and get rid of Mowbray then you can bet Waggott will be right in there trying to change their minds.

Just now, Darrenbot said:

And if the remarkable happens and they decide to do the best thing for the club and get rid of Mowbray then you can bet Waggott will be right in there trying to change their minds.

You can't say it the best thing for the club until you see who the replacement is. 

I very doubt Waggott would argue with his bosses. 

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This European Scouting System has been up and running for around 7 or 8 months with us. So hopefully this summer we will see signings from this European Scouting System. 

Think Mulgrew might find getting paid £1million or so next season, for doing nothing but keeping fit, to be quite an attractive proposition. 

Same as Mowbray's contract - IMO, Waggott needs metaphorically shooting for signing them off.

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Think Mulgrew might find getting paid £1million or so next season, for doing nothing but keeping fit, to be quite an attractive proposition. 

Same as Mowbray's contract - IMO, Waggott needs metaphorically shooting for signing them off.

We all said it at the time it was barmy it’s cost the club 2 million of debt easy.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

A good article which addresses some big deficiencies in the tactics and selection.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18583417.another-mid-table-finish-rovers-go/

Two stats there that are damning - falling behind for 8 consecutive games and failing to keep a clean sheet for 10 games. They are relegation style stats !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amo said:

The treatment of Harrison Reed pretty much sums up Mowbray's philosophy. A tidy little terrier of a player. Wasn't trusted to play centre-midfield by Mowbray as apparently he needed to learn the game from the mighty Richie Smallwood. Plays centrally at Fulham and they've secured playoff contention. Laughable.

Now, what does that remind you of...

Josh King, Tom Cairney, Jordan Rhodes, Grant Hanley, Scott Dann, Rudy Gestede, Marcus Olsson.

And we got nowhere near the play-offs. How many of our current players will go on to play at a higher level than the manager?

It doesn’t matter how what potential the player have are if you have the wrong manager.

Meanwhile some folk think that staying up is something to brag about!

6 hours ago, Amo said:

The treatment of Harrison Reed pretty much sums up Mowbray's philosophy. A tidy little terrier of a player. Wasn't trusted to play centre-midfield by Mowbray as apparently he needed to learn the game from the mighty Richie Smallwood. Plays centrally at Fulham and they've secured playoff contention. Laughable.

Amen. Their fans are waxing lyrical about him - say he gets MOM every single week. It’s quite laughable Mowbray’s treatment of him, and as you rightly say, sums up his philosophy.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You are right that Mowbrays passion is not in question. He definitely has passion and good intentions. He means well and I think unfairly but understandability, people are taking a swipe because he is baffling them with their decisions and we know there is no chance that he will leave.

What he doesnt have is the ability to help us progress. 10 points in 11 games is not progress, im sure youd have to agree? And his tactical decisions lately have led to such a woeful run.

Also, when Lenihan was out, initially, Bennett (with his statistically negative impact on our side) started at right back, also moving our only competent full back inside. We conceded 5 in 2. Then when Lenihan had to miss a game, surely Carter, preferred to Mulgrew as a token gesture in the squad prior would come in? No, Mulgrew did, and we conceded 2.

Why does Mulgrew NEED to move on? Hes ageing, presumably the family's settled, on a decent wage for a year, the only reason you think he needs to leave is because you can only see the issue from Rovers perspective.

Another point, people like to point to past history and indicate that we are one bad appointment away from League 1. There is some right shite in this league and it wasnt just Coyle that got us into that situation, we had suffered an embargo the year before so it was a 2 year process.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why does Mulgrew NEED to move on? Hes ageing, presumably the family's settled, on a decent wage for a year, the only reason you think he needs to leave is because you can only see the issue from Rovers perspective.

Cos he might want to play and enjoy his football again. Cant be enjoying Rovers now

Cos he might want to play and enjoy his football again. Cant be enjoying Rovers now

To quote you about a keeper weve been tenously linked with, "he might just be happy to have a contract with this pandemic." Smallwoods been happy to sit on a contract for a year, if Mulgrew is settled in the area it sounds a bloody good life if you ask me! More fool us for giving him a long contract, same as Smallwood, Williams, Bennett etc.