BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray is droning on about wanting to copy the possession based styles of the top clubs and this is apparently our route to the Premier League, although he accepts we don't have the budget to do this and that it could take a long time to deliver.

He's so contradictory. 

He then goes on to always say that we have to setup a team based on the opposition because we aren't strong enough to beat teams staying as a consistent team. 

LOL

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Its been a harrowing ten years for genuine fans that's for sure and at times it's the anger, adrenaline at the injustice of it that fires the passion over the rubbish football.  Right now though its just difficult to bother about we are every the bit the water treader that seems just set up like an old boys club.

As long as the manager is a nice guy he's safe all because what went before and in turn as long as he looks after his mates the whole thing will plod on.  Nobody gets held accountable for anything and the fans are the villians every time there's an air of restlessness.

A plonker on twitter this afternoon told me Walton is a good keeper we are lucky Mowbray got him and the manager himself should have the job for life. And to top it all Brereton is a good investment he'll come good.

Unbelievable mentality the slightest bit of ambition is met with derision, oi leave things as they are we are doomed if it changes. I sometimes wonder what some of these lot are like in real life they seem fans of the manager rather than the club.

I'll bet the " plonker " has never kicked a ball in anger in his life. I don't know about Blackburn but in Rochdale where I live the number of blokes playing amateur football has fallen off a cliff in the last twenty years. Most young guys watching now don't play at an organised level.

10 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He's so contradictory. 

He then goes on to always say that we have to setup a team based on the opposition because we aren't strong enough to beat teams staying as a consistent team. 

LOL

He’s sounding like Steve kean 

• Like 1

He talks twaddle, it's not Coyles verbal steaming pile of utter nonsense and not the hideous one's outright lies. It is however contradictory twaddle with a hefty dose of speaking to the ownership and arse covering thrown in.

Although he's always overdone playing to the gallery he used to talk quite a bit of sense in between and when he wasn't giving it the old when i was a lad in the backstreets of Boro. Since that bad run the middle of last season though when he began floundering he's disappeared into a world of his own.

We get the odd glimpse of how he really sees it though, he sounds more like a player welfare officer.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Everyone talks about this £12m like it should have propelled us to the Premiership had it been spent better.

Part of it was funded by Raya, so it was actually £9m, spent in isolation seasons apart, chump change in the grand scheme of things.

Could it have been spent better, on the face of it absolutely, but its not the reason to sack the manager for me.

Blimey Gav, you can't on the one hand say we need to wee with the willy we've got and then describe 9 million net spend wasted as 'chump change'.

“Ryan has played a lot of football for us, I’m not sure he’s up to speed, from after lockdown he’s found it difficult, he’s a lad who needs to practice every day on his technique and his ability with the ball.

“I thought Joe Rankin-Costello warranted his place in the team (at left-back) and thought Elliott Bennett brings some character and personality to our team and takes the game-plan on to the pitch.  

“It was a balance of a few things, confidence levels, and the fact he’s played a lot of football, we decided to go with Elliott and Joe.”

Absolutely deluded. What a load of drivel that is. Cowardice

**late to the party on this quote. But jesus I couldn't believe it when I read it

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

“Ryan has played a lot of football for us, I’m not sure he’s up to speed, from after lockdown he’s found it difficult, he’s a lad who needs to practice every day on his technique and his ability with the ball.

“I thought Joe Rankin-Costello warranted his place in the team (at left-back) and thought Elliott Bennett brings some character and personality to our team and takes the game-plan on to the pitch.  

“It was a balance of a few things, confidence levels, and the fact he’s played a lot of football, we decided to go with Elliott and Joe.”

Absolutely deluded. What a load of drivel that is. Cowardice

**late to the party on this quote. But jesus I couldn't believe it when I read it

this is mowbray parlance that he is giving bennett the right back slot next season?ryan obviously to adventurous in his maraudings up the wing,i do think he`s going to drive a cracking player out of the club,probably already arranged to sell him

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

this is mowbray parlance that he is giving bennett the right back slot next season?ryan obviously to adventurous in his maraudings up the wing,i do think he`s going to drive a cracking player out of the club,probably already arranged to sell him

I wouldn't be surprise if Rankin Costello start at right back next season. He has played the right wing back role for under 23's so he would be natural fit for that role

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't be surprise if Rankin Costello start at right back next season. He has played the right wing back role for under 23's so he would be natural fit for that role

you could be right,another player out of position though,in a tough league that gives no quarters,be perfect fit for tony,a forward looking midfielder playing in defence

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you could be right,another player out of position though,in a tough league that gives no quarters,be perfect fit for tony,a forward looking midfielder playing in defence

But it isn't out of position at all. He has played the right back/wing back role quite alot for under 23's 

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

If Rankin Costello is to be around the starting line up ahead of the new season, it should be in his actual position which Mowbray himself said is out wide. We dont have any competent wingers so stick him there tomorrow and Tuesday/Wednesday.

Of Course he will be around this team next season. Rankin Costello long term could be attacking right back. 

Mowbray doesn't play with natural wingers and hasn't since he came to the club. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But it isn't out of position at all. He has played the right back/wing back role quite alot for under 23's 

Of Course he will be around this team next season. Rankin Costello long term could be attacking right back. 

Mowbray doesn't play with natural wingers and hasn't since he came to the club. 

I am saying what I think should happen, not providing a prediction of what Mowbray will do. If that is the case, then I would suggest that Bennett is odds on favourite to start the season there. I dont want strikers plodding down the wing.

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

A large section of our support are complicit in the dumbing down and ever declining ambition.

Every day you see people claiming we should be ever so grateful to Venky’s because “we could easily become the next Bury/Bolton/Wigan/Sunderland”... Bury?!?! We are Blackburn fucking Rovers, and our own fans are comparing us to Bury!

We could easily have become the next Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester or Burnley. Why is that considered a pipe dream for Blackburn Rovers? Why is this never mentioned?

We have a CEO, or whatever Waggotts title is, who sees Preston and Brentford as teams we should be aspiring to be like. 

No doubt there will be people who think this view is one of entitlement - not at all. I don’t think we are entitled to be in the Premier League, but I do think the club is entitled to be treated with proper attention and respect. And yes, I came along after the tough times Of the 70’s and 80’s, but so did Jack Walker’s influence and legacy, which has been pissed all over. The current mess we are in is akin to that idiot who pissed and snorted away his entire lottery win and ended up back on the dole.

I’m fairly indifferent to Mowbray, it doesn’t look like he will ever make us into genuine promotion contenders, but he’s just a symptom of Venky’s horrendous reign.

It’s precisely because of Venkys that we could become the next club in dire straits. Thanking them for that seems just a little odd.

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s precisely because of Venkys that we could become the next club in dire straits. Thanking them for that seems just a little odd.

Because of Venky's -absolutely! 

I have spent some time being irritated by /trying to get my head around this determination to re-define the architects of our decline, as our actual saviours.

I really am beginning to think that it is a similar kind of psychological defence mechanism to the one, where victims deny and reframe the reality of their own abuse etc

I just stop short giving our own fans any blame for what has been done to our club.

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Because of Venky's -absolutely! 

I have spent some time being irritated by /trying to get my head around this determination to re-define the architects of our decline, as our actual saviours.

I really am beginning to think that it is a similar kind of psychological defence mechanism to the one, where victims deny and reframe the reality of their own abuse etc

I just stop short giving our own fans any blame for what has been done to our club.

It’s Stockholm Syndrome is what it is.

And very short memories.

And apathy.

”It’s only a game, eh?”

10 hours ago, Miller11 said:

A large section of our support are complicit in the dumbing down and ever declining ambition.

Every day you see people claiming we should be ever so grateful to Venky’s because “we could easily become the next Bury/Bolton/Wigan/Sunderland”... Bury?!?! We are Blackburn fucking Rovers, and our own fans are comparing us to Bury!

We could easily have become the next Wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester or Burnley. Why is that considered a pipe dream for Blackburn Rovers? Why is this never mentioned?

We have a CEO, or whatever Waggotts title is, who sees Preston and Brentford as teams we should be aspiring to be like. 

No doubt there will be people who think this view is one of entitlement - not at all. I don’t think we are entitled to be in the Premier League, but I do think the club is entitled to be treated with proper attention and respect. And yes, I came along after the tough times Of the 70’s and 80’s, but so did Jack Walker’s influence and legacy, which has been pissed all over. The current mess we are in is akin to that idiot who pissed and snorted away his entire lottery win and ended up back on the dole.

I’m fairly indifferent to Mowbray, it doesn’t look like he will ever make us into genuine promotion contenders, but he’s just a symptom of Venky’s horrendous reign.

Excellent post.

Sadly, I think the chickens are about to come home to roost.

12 hours ago, rigger said:

All excuses aside, two yes or no questions. Are you happy with our football ? Are you willing to pay for the same next season?

In parts I've been happy with it yes, but of course it's not been thrill a minute and it's ultimately not brought about the playoffs. But was that actually realistically what we expected in August?

No it isn't. In fact many on here expected us to be in a relegation dogfight, but after a slow start we were never anywhere near that. So arguably Mowbray has over-achieved in that context, hasn't he? 

I will pay for next season, but I expect improvement on this season. I expect a proper playoff push (which we might've got this season had we had Cunningham, Dack et al fit all season); I want us to be more dynamic and pleasing on the eye going forwards, and more robust defensively. I want us to lose a lot less points from winning positions. But I'll also be realistic to recognise that things will happen during the course of the season that will be beyond Mowbray's control and which might derail us.

Oh and by the way, you'll not hear me lauding Venkys on here or anywhere else . One can support Mowbray without supporting Venkys. We need them, sadly, due to the mess they've made since they arrived, and whilst they may have been less destructive in the last 2 or 3 seasons, whatever success we may or may not achieve next season, it'll be in spite of them not because of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atko's Engine said:

in parts I've been happy with it yes, but of course it's not been thrill a minute and it's ultimately not brought about the playoffs. 

Thrill an hour? Would that be pushing it?

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do we know exactly how much we got for Raya? 

Classic Chaddy distraction! He was our's and a great prospect. We took the money, borrowed Brighton's 4th choice with the obvious consequences and now see "our" lad probably in the Premier League next season. 

Its commonly held that we got £3M quid for him. Might be less, might be more,  Please point to how we've benefited.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He made mistake after mistake. Not good enough last season, shocking in fact in some games. 

3 times the GK Walton is and will probably be playing PL footie next season. Brentfords recruitment is widely lauded, so surely they know something that we dont and thought the 3 mil was a snip for the potential that is now showing through under proper coaching.

• Like 2

Going back from the mid sixties through to the seventies, eighties and the Walker era I always felt the Rovers were controlled by people who had the club and fans at heart now after following the club for 55years I do not feel that anymore Bill Fox said the premier league would destroy club football as we knew it and I think he may have been right. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rossyrover said:

Going back from the mid sixties through to the seventies, eighties and the Walker era I always felt the Rovers were controlled by people who had the club and fans at heart now after following the club for 55years I do not feel that anymore Bill Fox said the premier league would destroy club football as we knew it and I think he may have been right. 

I don't think anybody on here was thinking that way in 1995 ! The Premier League has seen the general interest in football increase significantly as evidenced by much larger attendances.