BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

At least all those starters will be here next season, bar Walton. But can see the logic of keeping Walton in if giving Carter a start  though would prefer Hilton or Fisher on the bench over Leutwiler.

Would've preferred Davenport over Johnson too.

But genuinely pleased that Mowbray is using this game with an eye to next season, as I hoped he would.

There is potential at Ewood to be a bright vibrant young team now but they need a good keeper and experienced defense as a platform. Give them a set of tactics that makes the most of their youth, press in the oppos faces, defend as a team.  We'd have our ups and downs but it would be a damn sight better to watch than the boring stuff he's coaching into them now that'll get us nowhere in 1 year or 10.

Next season get Johnson in charge of a young first team and TM above him to mentor and be nice to everyone. Get the foundations in place for something fresh.  He might just get a tune out of the expensive flops surely it's worth a go.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think most people questioned the money spent on both especially Brereton

I questioned Gallagher,  i said more than once that his performance v Bolton or Wigan (can't remember which) in the relegation season was unforgivable.  A shambles and was dead against him coming back 

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I've said I don't think we would get anybody better - and there is a significant likelihood of someone much worse. I have also pointed out that there is a cost in removing a management team with 2 years on their contracts - something the mob gloss over.

As for my view of Mowbray I think he's got qualities and weaknesses - I haven't rated any manager at the club since Allardyce "highly".

On paper Mowbray was no better than Coyle or Lambert it just seemed to turn out that his character was a better fit to this club and owners than the other 2.  

Now at first team level it's time for something a bit more fresh and vibrant.

Edited by tomphil

Mowbray with some interesting quotes:

“Harry Chapman is sick of me moaning at him, ‘find the right position, find the ball’. When he’s on the pitch he has to have the ball, beat people, cross is in to the box." 

Today was one of, including in the Cup, 5 cameos hes had this season, never longer than 15-20 minutes. How is he meant to do that?

Also about Sam Gallagher:

"It’s not been tough, or challenging, but difficult, he hasn’t had as much end product as we’d have liked, but he’s tried really hard, he puts a massive amount of work in to every game and he has to get in to those positions, arrive like a steam train at the back stick and a bullet header.

It hasn’t been the most productive period for him, I’ve spoken to him. For a lot of players they have to get settled, they have to feel part of an environment."

Absolutely no acknowledgement as to how playing him wide so often will make getting headers between the post much harder. And bollocks about settling in, yes theres finding a house but hes been here before, he knows many of the players, its hardly as if hes joined an alien team in a far flung location.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely no acknowledgement as to how playing him wide so often will make getting headers between the post much harder. And bollocks about settling in, yes theres finding a house but hes been here before, he knows many of the players, its hardly as if hes joined an alien team in a far flung location.

Nevermind the fact Gallagher was already here for a year before joining permanently. If there's one signing who'd take less settling in, it should be him.

• Like 3

If he'd come through the ranks he'd probably be getting lambasted but he's the managers marquee signing so he's getting the player welfare officer slant again.

Thing is with him the problem is 50/50 he should have done a bit better but TM although has him opportunities he's also negated it by having him in an uncomfortable role.  That's it all over with this set up and system though, he ain't the only one.

I still feel with Gallagher though that he' one of those who'll click into gear eventually. There's 10 goals a season in him if someone can get it out of him.

Edited by tomphil

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray with some interesting quotes:

“Harry Chapman is sick of me moaning at him, ‘find the right position, find the ball’. When he’s on the pitch he has to have the ball, beat people, cross is in to the box." 

Today was one of, including in the Cup, 5 cameos hes had this season, never longer than 15-20 minutes. How is he meant to do that?

Also about Sam Gallagher:

"It’s not been tough, or challenging, but difficult, he hasn’t had as much end product as we’d have liked, but he’s tried really hard, he puts a massive amount of work in to every game and he has to get in to those positions, arrive like a steam train at the back stick and a bullet header.

It hasn’t been the most productive period for him, I’ve spoken to him. For a lot of players they have to get settled, they have to feel part of an environment."

Mowbray thinks England is a big country. It's all a bit odd.

3 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Wish Rovers could get a Wilder type manager. Proper manager with no bullshit and proper tactics. Sheffield United are a team to follow. No 12 million pet projects or favourites in the team. Mowbray out.

We'd all like a Wilder type, someone who can gain promotion with £10/15m, but the stars have to align and sadly its been cloudy over Ewood for 10yrs now....

The list of managers we've had on our wish list ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime, Steve Evens was once championed, Coyle also, Mark Warburton was a site favourite, Jaap Stam, Wee Doughie, we've had them all, usually when they've strung a few wins together, but most disappear into into obscurity 

We had our chance with Warnock, inexcusably we blew that chance and we are where we are.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We'd all like a Wilder type, someone who can gain promotion with £10/15m, but the stars have to align and sadly its been cloudy over Ewood for 10yrs now....

The list of managers we've had on our wish list ranges from the ridiculous to the sublime, Steve Evens was once championed, Coyle also, Mark Warburton was a site favourite, Jaap Stam, Wee Doughie, we've had them all, usually when they've strung a few wins together, but most disappear into into obscurity 

We had our chance with Warnock, inexcusably we blew that chance and we are where we are.

So we give up striving for a better manager just because we missed our chance with Warnock? Stick with TM and sure, we will probably bumble along for a little while and become a regular mid-table Championship club but with our debt, there has to be more urgency. The whole nice guy ethos is reflected via our manager and our team and it is to the detriment of results. Be a good pro, kiss ass a bit, get to training early and leave late and you are are nailed on to start despite ability or form. 

I just feel that TM is not the man to take us up a notch...his teams generally have a soft underbelly. We need winners, not pros happy to be where they are and to plod along (ala Bennett, Mugrew, Evans, Smallwood). We need hungry players that aspire to playing in the PL, not happy to sit on a nice contract at a mid-table CHamps club. I think we have some youth coming through that will help with this but I think there are plenty of managers out there that could do a better job with them.

• Like 6

Watford about to sack Pearson, according to the BBC. Seems daft in my book but Watford seem to change manager every 5 minutes.

Pearson's a man who knows how to win promotion from the Championsip and is a definite upgrade on Mowbray.

Like Warnock, a no-brainer to me....

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Do you have a name in mind ?

The Wycombe manager. Someone whose done something significant recently with very little money as far as I know. I understand this idea of well we could get worse than Mowbray but the real issue is that regardless of if they got a success or a complete dud as the next manager, Rovers will eventually go into administration unless the debt is brought down in some way.

Either through the owners saying they don't want it back or from PL money.

Rovers need a manager with some upward momentum.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Watford about to sack Pearson, according to the BBC. Seems daft in my book but Watford seem to change manager every 5 minutes.

Pearson's a man who knows how to win promotion from the Championsip and is a definite upgrade on Mowbray.

Like Warnock, a no-brainer to me....

Mowbray also knows how to win promotion from the championship, as champions.

But you need money, significant amounts, which neither man will get. 

Mowbray took over a West Brom team with quality already in its ranks plus he sold several for good money and was allowed to reinvest.  They also had the luxury of parachute money for wages etc.

Different world altogether than here there's no resemblance so it shouldn't really be held up as anything. He also did it in relatively short time then oversaw relegation again. It was a decade or so ago and time has moved on. It ain't happening here under his watch for a variety of reasons some out of his control obviously. 

Crucially though even given the tools i don't think he's remotely bold enough or savvy enough anymore. I don't even think his remit here is promotion anyway that's why he's so comfortable.  These lot and their advisors are wanting youth blooding, player value increasing and their own investments on players factoring in. First and foremost they want the conveyor belt of sales to recoup costs and transfers it's always only been a matter of time before that begins.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4