BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

49 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Tell that to Chris Wilder or Neil Warnock or Daniel Farke or David Wagner. 

How about the rest of the Championship managers who do nothing season in season out?

Or how about the 60+ managers in the football league who do nothing season in season out?

We can all cherry pick, but it adds nothing to the debate surrounding Blackburn Rovers 2020.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray took over a West Brom team with quality already in its ranks plus he sold several for good money and was allowed to reinvest.  They also had the luxury of parachute money for wages etc.

Here of his transfers for that season

https://www.transfermarkt.com/west-bromwich-albion/transfers/verein/984/saison_id/2007

Bought players like Barnett, Brunt and Morrison, etc. Total 22 mill spend

Sold players like Koumas, Ellington, Kamara, etc. Total 32 mill 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gav said:

How about the rest of the Championship managers who do nothing season in season out?

Or how about the 60+ managers in the football league who do nothing season in season out?

We can all cherry pick, but it adds nothing to the debate surrounding Blackburn Rovers 2020.

Lets look at the teams to go up from the Championship over the last few years then. In 2017 Newcastle went up who spend a lot of money. Huddersfield went up that year and spent very little in doing so. The other side that were promoted that season were Brighton who made their club record purchase by paying Rovers £4 Million for Shane Duffy.

In 2018 Wolves and Fulham both spent big and went up. But Cardiff also went up with a group of players that did not cost a lot.

Norwich and Sheffield United both got promoted last season spending less on players than we did and they also both lost their star player from the previous season. The other promoted side was Villa who did spend a lot.

This season Leeds have gone up having sold 3 of their best players from the previous season and they haven't spent a huge amount of money on players but have brought in a manager who has improved the players that were already at the club.

I think it would be fair to say that when you said 'you need money, significant amounts' to get promoted it was rather an exaggeration as multiple clubs have proven over the last few seasons. Another thing that is forgotten as well is that Mowbray unlike the majority of managers in this division has not had to sell any key players in his time here as manager.

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Lets look at the teams to go up from the Championship over the last few years then. In 2017 Newcastle went up who spend a lot of money. Huddersfield went up that year and spent very little in doing so. The other side that were promoted that season were Brighton who made their club record purchase by paying Rovers £4 Million for Shane Duffy.

In 2018 Wolves and Fulham both spent big and went up. But Cardiff also went up with a group of players that did not cost a lot.

Norwich and Sheffield United both got promoted last season spending less on players than we did and they also both lost their star player from the previous season. The other promoted side was Villa who did spend a lot.

This season Leeds have gone up having sold 3 of their best players from the previous season and they haven't spent a huge amount of money on players but have brought in a manager who has improved the players that were already at the club.

I think it would be fair to say that when you said 'you need money, significant amounts' to get promoted it was rather an exaggeration as multiple clubs have proven over the last few seasons. Another thing that is forgotten as well is that Mowbray unlike the majority of managers in this division has not had to sell any key players in his time here as manager.

Mowbray sold Raya, who was a key player.

You also need to have a look at the money Leeds have spent over the past few seasons, it makes our £9m net look like peanuts.

Udders yes, Warnock yes, but I'll give you another 20 examples of failure.

Bottom line for me is we are a million miles away from the Premiership, the clubs a basket case with small shoots of recovery under Mowbray and Waggot.

I think we need to build on those small shoots.

20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

This season Leeds have gone up having sold 3 of their best players from the previous season

They sold Jansson. Got Ben White on loan who has been as good if not better. 

Sold Clarke but got him back on loan. Plus sign Helder Costa on loan 

Sold Roofe but had Bamford anyway. 

But 2 out those 3 players weren't their best players last season. Still had Klich and Philips in centre midfield. Harrison back on loan. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But 2 out those 3 players weren't their best players last season. Still had Klich and Philips in centre midfield. Harrison back on loan. 

Which just means Bielsa picked the right replacements. Or, as any manager should always aim for, improvements. 

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

You also need to have a look at the money Leeds have spent over the past few seasons, it makes our £9m net look like peanuts.

Bottom line for me is we are a million miles away from the Premiership, the clubs a basket case with small shoots of recovery under Mowbray and Waggot.

Mowbray seemingly wasn’t under any pressure to sell Raya. He wanted shut, or at the very least saw him as expendable, we got a pathetic amount for him and failed to bring in a better replacement for whatever reason. 

Before anyone says “but Raya wanted to go” that is absolutely no defence for anyone at the club... If players are seeing Brentford as a step up from Rovers that’s absolutely damning of the entire management setup and ownership.

Mowbray isn’t our biggest issue, but I’d replace him with Pearson in a heartbeat. Sadly it’s never happening.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

The same Raya who Mowbray dropped at the end last season? Mowbray didn't have to sell Raya he chose to sell him.

According to the links below under Bielsa Leeds have a net spend profit of £23.67 Million

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399/plus/0?saison_id=2018&pos=&detailpos=&w_s= 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399/plus/0?saison_id=2019&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm aware of what they did in the summer. What point are you trying to make exactly?

44 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Leeds spent £55m on players this season. How is that not a huge amount?

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

The same Raya who Mowbray dropped at the end last season? Mowbray didn't have to sell Raya he chose to sell him.

According to the links below under Bielsa Leeds have a net spend profit of £23.67 Million

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399/plus/0?saison_id=2018&pos=&detailpos=&w_s= 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leeds-united/transfers/verein/399/plus/0?saison_id=2019&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

What has profit got to do with anything?

They've spent £25m in the past few seasons alone, that coupled with the correct manager in place means they're this seasons champions.

Mowbray had spent £1.99 during his time here in comparison, its not rocket science EA. 

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Mowbray seemingly wasn’t under any pressure to sell Raya. He wanted shut, or at the very least saw him as expendable, we got a pathetic amount for him and failed to bring in a better replacement for whatever reason. 

Before anyone says “but Raya wanted to go” that is absolutely no defence for anyone at the club... If players are seeing Brentford as a step up from Rovers that’s absolutely damning of the entire management setup and ownership.

Mowbray isn’t our biggest issue, but I’d replace him with Pearson in a heartbeat. Sadly it’s never happening.

Raya has every chance of playing Premiership football next season, his value was about right for me, very good keeper Miller.

Brentford are a world away from a modern day Blackburn Rovers and have been for years to be honest, thats just being realistic. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Before anyone says “but Raya wanted to go” that is absolutely no defence for anyone at the club...

Raya wanted to go because Mowbray was throwing him under the bus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Brentford are a world away from a modern day Blackburn Rovers and have been for years to be honest, thats just being realistic. 

A world away really? They finished just 4 points ahead of us last season and they sold three of their key players from last season. The difference is that they have looked to go on and progress whereas Mowbray has looked to stay treading water. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 6

Just now, Gav said:

What has profit got to do with anything?

They've spent £25m in the past few seasons alone, that coupled with the correct manager in place means they're this seasons champions.

Under Bielsa they have spent £10.26M in the last 2 seasons. I was highlighting the fact that they were in net profit as it highlights how lucky Mowbray has been he has not had to sell any of his key players. Whereas Leeds had to sell Jansson and Roofe to make sure they complied with FFP.

A world away really? They finished just 4 points ahead of us last season and they sold three of their key players from last season. The difference is that they have looked to go on a progress whereas Mowbray has looked to stay treading water. 

Spot on. We are victims of complacency and mass dumbing down. Too many people just happily lap it up.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Raya has every chance of playing Premiership football next season, his value was about right for me, very good keeper Miller.

Surely if he’s a very good player he’s worth significantly more than 3 million? We spent 7 million on a bag of shit a few months prior... Brentford got a fantastic deal.

• Like 1

A world away really? They finished just 4 points ahead of us last season and they sold three of their key players from last season. The difference is that they have looked to go on and progress whereas Mowbray has looked to stay treading water. 

Look at the players that have come through the place since Judge was on the books, then tell me they're not a world away from us.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Under Bielsa they have spent £10.26M in the last 2 seasons. I was highlighting the fact that they were in net profit as it highlights how lucky Mowbray has been he has not had to sell any of his key players. Whereas Leeds had to sell Jansson and Roofe to make sure they complied with FFP.

They've spent £25m in the last 3 seasons I think, massive money compared to us, but you carry on cherry picking.

We're not Leeds, or Brentford or West Borm, we're Blackburn Rovers owned by ferking idiots and until that changes or money is produced we're going nowhere.

Just now, Miller11 said:

Spot on. We are victims of complacency and mass dumbing down. Too many people just happily lap it up.

My personal favourite is using another clubs failure to somehow justify our own failures as success. Well Bristol city have spent millions and we’re ahead of them long live Tony. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Really?

You think we can find another keeper of his age, and with his potential, for the same price?

• Like 1