BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Ok ,I've made the decision not to discuss the manager much going forward, it's ultimately pointless.

What I will say on it is it's classic Mowbray that we were more bad than good after the re-start. The top, top managers would have had the players well drilled and fit as hares coming back. Like didn't Bielsa get in trouble for getting the player together to train during lockdown? We are a low intensity outfit. 

I said it in another thread,but watching the Forrest game last night I was thinking "fucking hell, the best team for them to play would have been us" and that is a damning indictment. 

Ok, that's it on the manager from me. Just sign defenders and before October, please. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-budget-transfers-18646217

"Apart from that, we're a very proud football club and we will strive to get to the top six next year. We believe we can, and yet you never how strong the relegated Premier League sides are going to be. We have to keep building and looking after ourselves and strive to make the top six as soon as we can."

Not the words of a man who thinks he's under pressure. 

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ok ,I've made the decision not to discuss the manager much going forward, it's ultimately pointless.

What I will say on it is it's classic Mowbray that we were more bad than good after the re-start. The top, top managers would have had the players well drilled and fit as hares coming back. Like didn't Bielsa get in trouble for getting the player together to train during lockdown? We are a low intensity outfit. 

I said it in another thread,but watching the Forrest game last night I was thinking "fucking hell, the best team for them to play would have been us" and that is a damning indictment. 

Ok, that's it on the manager from me. Just sign defenders and before October, please. 

Sorry, I won't let up on the issue of the manager until he's gone or improves beyond all recognition as I think he's taking the owners and supporters for complete mugs as evidenced by his body language and demeanour last night.

There's no hope until he goes imo.

10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-budget-transfers-18646217

"Apart from that, we're a very proud football club and we will strive to get to the top six next year. We believe we can, and yet you never how strong the relegated Premier League sides are going to be. We have to keep building and looking after ourselves and strive to make the top six as soon as we can."

No commitment to getting into the top six next season there , just whenever he can. An ambitious manager would be setting a target of trying to finish in the top 2 anyway.

The alleged uncertainty over the budget is really playing into Mowbray's hands. He has his excuses lined up in advance like ducks in a row already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Big questions of the manager imo. Statistically 5% improvement on last season which seems even more negligible when you consider the turnover of players which is about to ensue. No doubt the injury to Dack contributed to the final points total but it’s not been good enough overall. Finishing on 70pts this season would’ve been acceptable to me.

Weve finished exactly where our budget sits but we need to overachieve to be successful. Time for a change? Yeah, seems reasonable to me.

70pts with a decent goal difference (that we had at one point) would have gotten us in the play off's this year.

The lowest total for a while to finish 6th.

Missed a big opportunity this season.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Last night was very interesting.

From bits I saw, Mowbray, IMO, looked very disinterested.  

Was Venus there - someone mentioned they didn't see him?

The normally statuesque Lowe seemed, IMO, to throw a wobbler at the end.

No Mowbray comments that I can see in the LT.

You can but hope that this is the end for Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson.

Venus was there with Mowbray.  There is a post match interview with Mowbray on the club website, the tone of which suggests he will be here next season.  The interview illustrated why he was looking so displeased during the game - basically frustrated with the lack of consistency of certain players and suggested those who cannot deliver the consistency required would not be here next season.  Lowe was upset at the gamesmanship when Luton got rid of the balls that were part of the covid-19 protocols so that play was held up waiting for the one ball to be retrieved. 

Personally, I felt before the season started that our squad was a mid-table one at best and would need luck to get towards the top six.  Long term injuries to Cunningham, Dack and Evans really didn't help.  Has Mowbray been faultless this season - obviously not.  He has made mistakes, like all managers, but he has made progress - albeit of the slow and steady variety.  I've seen nothing to suggest that he won't be given at least one, if not both the remaining years of his contract to try to achieve promotion.    

With little or no money likely to be available we may well have to rely on the young players next season who will have to "learn on the job" as it were.  Carter made mistakes last night but no more than you would expect of a youngster breaking into the team - I'm old enough to remember some clangers that a young Mike England made - one spectacular own goal in particular that any centre-forward would have been proud to claim.  

With the new season just seven or eight weeks away, Mowbray is going to need to know the budget he is working with sooner rather than later.  The fact that every decision has to be signed off in Pune is what really hampers any progress.  Yes, money is put in and keeps the show on the road, but football decisions need to be immediate and until that problem is resolved we are always going to be playing catch-up with other clubs.

• Like 6

I know everyone says we improved on last season, but last season included one of our worst ever losing runs. So if anything last years points total was far lower than we would have expected. In that context we have regressed substantially this season.

63 points from 60 points. I suppose it’s quite literally ‘progression’.

Though I’m pretty sure that when finishing mid table in two successive seaons, albeit one with a handful of extra points, we didn’t used to crow about ‘progress’, it was just another middling season.

To me its just trying to justify the stasis that envelops Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, philipl said:

Now a no brainer to remove Mowbray.

I am hoping the fact the budget ain’t been set is an indicator from the venkys that he’s on his way ?

Nigel Pearson

Aitor Karanka 

Chris Hughton

Cowley Brothers

Gareth Ainsworth

Personally is go for Karanka or Pearson 

Edited by Scotland1

Mowbrays going nowhere, so lets hope that over these next few weeks we can Dack back in some sort of shape, give the rest of the squad time to shake of any knocks, replace the keeper as a matter if urgency and do a little cattle trading. 

This thread has 267 pages, we have another thread around a similar theme and so far I've only seen 2 posts that in my opinion make any sense in replacing Mowbray.

Cowley brothers is one - Young, up and coming, a desire to succeed. 

Gareth Ainsworth - Lots of experience, still young, local lad, Rovers fan.

The rest are no better and offer nothing different to Tony.

He's just not good enough is he. No real tactical awareness on any level, no team identity even after all this time in charge, and no ability to plug the holes in the team that were there when he took over from Coyle, especially at the back.

Having moved away from Blackburn I don't get to go to nearly as many games as I would like anymore, but under TM I end almost every single game thinking "why do I bother wasting my money on this?" - his half-arsed, no width possession play is tedious to watch 99% of the time and you know full well there are at least two howlers a game to come from the defence so even with a 3 goal lead I'm never convinced we have won.

Progress in most leagues begins by conceding less goals - until we have a manager willing to pay attention to our defence we will be where we are at best - but if we end of up in a position where we have to rely on Brereton and Gallagher for goals do you honestly seeing us going anywhere but down?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RTM08 said:

He's just not good enough is he. No real tactical awareness on any level, no team identity even after all this time in charge, and no ability to plug the holes in the team that were there when he took over from Coyle, especially at the back.

Having moved away from Blackburn I don't get to go to nearly as many games as I would like anymore, but under TM I end almost every single game thinking "why do I bother wasting my money on this?" - his half-arsed, no width possession play is tedious to watch 99% of the time and you know full well there are at least two howlers a game to come from the defence so even with a 3 goal lead I'm never convinced we have won.

Progress in most leagues begins by conceding less goals - until we have a manager willing to pay attention to our defence we will be where we are at best - but if we end of up in a position where we have to rely on Brereton and Gallagher for goals do you honestly seeing us going anywhere but down?

Dead right. 10/10.

24 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Venus was there with Mowbray.  There is a post match interview with Mowbray on the club website, the tone of which suggests he will be here next season.  The interview illustrated why he was looking so displeased during the game - basically frustrated with the lack of consistency of certain players and suggested those who cannot deliver the consistency required would not be here next season.  Lowe was upset at the gamesmanship when Luton got rid of the balls that were part of the covid-19 protocols so that play was held up waiting for the one ball to be retrieved. 

Personally, I felt before the season started that our squad was a mid-table one at best and would need luck to get towards the top six.  Long term injuries to Cunningham, Dack and Evans really didn't help.  Has Mowbray been faultless this season - obviously not.  He has made mistakes, like all managers, but he has made progress - albeit of the slow and steady variety.  I've seen nothing to suggest that he won't be given at least one, if not both the remaining years of his contract to try to achieve promotion.    

With little or no money likely to be available we may well have to rely on the young players next season who will have to "learn on the job" as it were.  Carter made mistakes last night but no more than you would expect of a youngster breaking into the team - I'm old enough to remember some clangers that a young Mike England made - one spectacular own goal in particular that any centre-forward would have been proud to claim.  

With the new season just seven or eight weeks away, Mowbray is going to need to know the budget he is working with sooner rather than later.  The fact that every decision has to be signed off in Pune is what really hampers any progress.  Yes, money is put in and keeps the show on the road, but football decisions need to be immediate and until that problem is resolved we are always going to be playing catch-up with other clubs.

You have to laugh at this, how can he expect consistency of players when his team selections, tactics/systems etc have no consistency what so ever? 

It starts at the top, and I would happily put my mortgage on whoever those players are that "can't deliver the consistency" he requires will still be plodding on next season, Bennett, Johnson, Gallagher, Bell, Holtby etc.

Chapman, who I don't think is the answer to all our problems at all, but he came off the bench Saturday, showed some really nice pockets of skill and put in a sublime assist for the winner, yet doesn't get a look in, in a dead rubber where we are apparently chasing an equaliser, yet Bennett strolls on to do what exactly? Guessing it was for his appearance bonus.

I haven't got it in me to wash my hands of it all like some have already said, certainly can drive you to the edge though!

• Like 3

A few points or place either way is neither progression or regression it just is what it is midtable mediocrity and can only be glossed over as stability at best. 

Zero signs of actual progress on the field lets have one player of our own whose shown that  ?  A few have more mins and experience and there's been a few had purple patches countered by being poor so overall just the same.

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Hull (twice), Reading (twice), Sheff W (twice), Bristol City (twice), Barnsley, Millwall, Brentford, Derby, Stoke, Boro, QPR, Charlton, Cardiff. 

The teams Tony has beaten this season. Not at lot of stand-out results. 

We can give teams a game if they let us play football, as long as they aren't too good at it. We can't give teams a game who come for a dogfight as witnessed last night and on many other occasions. You have to be able to fight for the right to play football and obviously we can't. Nowhere near enough bastards in his signings and too many he sees as son in law material.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Not in any hurry is he?

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Not in any hurry is he?

Back to papping on about the historic club blah blah this playing to the gallery has been done to death now it's becoming a bit annoying. We know exactly who and what we are but i'm sure he'd spout the same if he was managing MK Dons !

They are liked pre programmed timed tweets on twitter set for a certain time or situation but you know exactly what's coming and when.

As for the top 6 well they had the best opportunity for years not long ago yet he chose that exact moment to not push for it but to plod on with his experiment to sit back and keep the ball.

Accept some ####### responsibility man !

• Like 1

The recruitment is bad but perhaps we focus on how the 12m could have been spent elsewhere in terms of progress, in terms of how it could push us on, that few extra goals.

Theres a knock on effect though, in terms of solely spending that money in one area. Potentially the second time to try and fix the mistake of the first one. Many believe in the conspiracies regarding Venkys allowing Mowbray only to sign strikers, I am not sure about that, and even so, why promise reinforcements, why force out the keeper, why last year was a central midfielder Plan B when Bauer didnt come? (who came top this season in headed clearances I think)

So how has he tried to fix it over 2 summers? By signing Brereton, and putting Bauer top of the list in terms of getting a cheap fix for our centre back problems, then telling him basically that we would struggle to dislodge the mighty Charlie Mulgrew. He then felt it appropriate to resort to plan B, a midfielder! On a one year deal. Surpisingly Rodwell didnt fix that hole.

His budget the next summer was slightly reduced, so he has to get a centre back on loan. And a fairly handy one too. So then what does he do. He sells the goalkeeper we own, gets an inferior one on loan, in order to buy another striker to misuse. 2 summers in, and the defence/keepers we own is in a worse state than when we came up. Not acceptable and not (ironically) defendable.

Mowbray not for the first time publically comes out and slags off his defence, yes the defence is incapable. But look at the above.

Total passing of the buck. The set of defenders 3.5 years into his reign that we have are clearly not capable of dealing with the defensive side of things. Its been neglected. It wont change without external help. Seemingly that would need to be a manager as well as players. Neither will come anytime soon.

Mowbray moaning on saying the players are inconsistent 1 week they are a 8/10 the next they are a 2/10 yet he picks the same players week in week out uses the same subs. Change it up there is plenty of younger players that would grasp the chance but nope Mowbray picks washed up over paid 30+ age players have no legs and no desire they coming to the end of there careers and just taking the money. There’s only 1 person to blame and it’s Mowbray himself. He needs to take responsibility instead of passing the book to the players. They all playing and doing what he trains them too do and it isn’t good enough!!

• Like 1

One of this seasons failings has been results against the bottom six excluding Wigan in this assessment. This season it stands at w4 d2 l6. Looking back at last season 2018-19 it was w6 d3 l3. So results this season have gone backwards there is no progress at all against the bottom six. If we had replicated the results against the bottom six those extra seven points would have had us knocking on the door in sixth place!

• Like 2

Just now, Rogerb said:

One of this seasons failings has been results against the bottom six excluding Wigan in this assessment. This season it stands at w4 d2 l6. Looking back at last season 2018-19 it was w6 d3 l3. So results this season have gone backwards there is no progress at all against the bottom six. If we had replicated the results against the bottom six those extra seven points would have had us knocking on the door in sixth place!

We can't play against teams who put a foot in and give us the " hurry up ".