BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We can't play against teams who put a foot in and give us the " hurry up ".

Yet last seasons results suggest we could but Tony has now changed the philosophy to tippy tappy allegedly

44 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Yet last seasons results suggest we could but Tony has now changed the philosophy to tippy tappy allegedly

It’s not good football though if it’s tippy tally in your own half and sideways. It’s like Paul Inces triangles equally pointless and woefully boring and painful to watch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JHRover said:

Anyone observing Mowbray's body language tonight would see that as a man who had at best a passing interest in the game, perhaps a pre season friendly attitude, and certainly not a man desperate for a win. Contrast to that cretin Jones who spent the entire evening like a rabid dog on the touchline, whereas Mowbray was slouched over the advertising boards and benches like he was on his holidays. Did he even stand up? Was Venus even there?
The most exciting point of the evening was David Lowe's skirmish with Jones at the full time whistle. At last someone showing some passion and anger.

Sadly it just isn't good enough.

Saw a tweet from you last night, sure it said that you thought Waggott and Mowbray would be off? (unless I read it wrong, was late).

Edited by Mattyblue

43 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Last season we had the dire Ipswich and Bolton teams in the division, nobody's been that bad this season (apart from Hull in the last few months) - that might explain it.

21 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Saw a tweet from you last night, sure it said that you thought Waggott and Mowbray would be off? (unless I read it wrong, was late).

Yes, going off his demeanour and body language wouldn't surprise me. I think when Mowbray does decide to depart then Waggott will follow very shortly afterwards. His power base will be gone.

The only possibility of that I foresee is if the owners massively cut his budget.

There’s no doubt his stint here has improved his reputation in the game as it was on the floor when he arrived. 

So jump ship whilst his stock is high and become one of those managers always linked to the conveyor belt of Championship management jobs.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

This time last year Mowbray was talking about changing to a possession based game and (I honestly don't know) I would hazard a guess and say that the possession numbers are higher but in every game were we have had more of the ball we haven't hurt the opponents. As demonstrated last night we are so easy to play against. I personally think it was a case of Mowbray talking again without thinking. How many of our players are able to play an incisive passing game? Very few in my book. After three years we have no identity in terms of how we play and if Mowbray wants to address this he needs to sign players who can play that way and play the right tactical game. I am really fearful of our chances next season under Mowbray but after a decade of mismanagement throughout the club I shouldn't be.

Another fundamental issue has been the dropping of 28 points from winning positions which just shouldn't happen. I believe the root cause of this has been a lack of real leaders, another area where Mowbray has been negligent.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, frosty said:

Last season we had the dire Ipswich and Bolton teams in the division, nobody's been that bad this season (apart from Hull in the last few months) - that might explain it.

Still managed to lose to Ipswich though

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry, I won't let up on the issue of the manager until he's gone or improves beyond all recognition as I think he's taking the owners and supporters for complete mugs as evidenced by his body language and demeanour last night.

There's no hope until he goes imo.

Ya fair enough, but it's pointless in this echo chamber. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but going off what some of you who live locally say, it's not the unanimous consensus? 

I'm not even sure I do want him to go. I would picture it playing out something like this

July 31st- sacked

August 10th- Players who to be fair are loyal to him(as much as that is possible these days) like Armstrong and Dack say they want to leave. Still no new manager or signings

August 20th-  They both leave, with possibly a couple more. Still no manager or signings

August 29th- Damien Johnson is caretaker for season opener. Still no full time manager or signings

Mid September- Results are going badly, Johnson resigns to focus on coaching Norther Ireland. Still no manager or signings

October 1st- We appoint someone ridiculous and sign some free or cheap shit just before the window closes

December 1st- We are firmly in the relegation places 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-budget-transfers-18646217

"Apart from that, we're a very proud football club and we will strive to get to the top six next year. We believe we can, and yet you never how strong the relegated Premier League sides are going to be. We have to keep building and looking after ourselves and strive to make the top six as soon as we can."

Not the words of a man who thinks he's under pressure. 

Cos he isn't. How many more "1 more seasons" can he be here for. Surely next year has to be the year we do it under him or there is a parting of ways? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya fair enough, but it's pointless in this echo chamber. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but going off what some of you who live locally say, it's not the unanimous consensus? 

I'm not even sure I do want him to go. I would picture it playing out something like this

July 31st- sacked

August 10th- Players who to be fair are loyal to him(as much as that is possible these days) like Armstrong and Dack say they want to leave. Still no new manager or signings

August 20th-  They both leave, with possibly a couple more. Still no manager or signings

August 29th- Damien Johnson is caretaker for season opener. Still no full time manager or signings

Mid September- Results are going badly, Johnson resigns to focus on coaching Norther Ireland. Still no manager or signings

October 1st- We appoint someone ridiculous and sign some free or cheap shit just before the window closes

December 1st- We are firmly in the relegation places 

Or Mowbray leaves, new man appointed, players respond, we are in promotion contention. This is just as hypothetical as your scenario 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Cos he isn't. How many more "1 more seasons" can he be here for. Surely next year has to be the year we do it under him or there is a parting of ways? 

I dont think there has ever really been a "one more season" scenario. League One season we went up,  last season was about consolidation,  this one was about progress.  I would say next season should be his first "one more season" as very little progress has been made this year 

• Like 2

268 pages virtually all missing the point that not once has Venkys changed manager for football reasons. Not once have they shown any concern for fans feelings or gates, and not once have they approached a close season with a plan, let alone lists of potential managers.

I get confused by equally strongly-held opinions that the squad was good enough to get in the playoffs yet it’s a relegation battle for sure in seven weeks time. But that’s what most predicted this time last year.

The only real pluses from this season were replacing 3/4 of the Mulgrew/Graham/Dack goals from the previous year, which most including me would have regarded as fantasy, the development of Travis into a dirty bastard, and the fact we can’t possibly sign a goalie as bad as Walton. Midtable beckons again and those in Pune will continue to give no shits.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

268 pages virtually all missing the point that not once has Venkys changed manager for football reasons. Not once have they shown any concern for fans feelings or gates, and not once have they approached a close season with a plan, let alone lists of potential managers.

I get confused by equally strongly-held opinions that the squad was good enough to get in the playoffs yet it’s a relegation battle for sure in seven weeks time. But that’s what most predicted this time last year.

The only real pluses from this season were replacing 3/4 of the Mulgrew/Graham/Dack goals from the previous year, which most including me would have regarded as fantasy, the development of Travis into a dirty bastard, and the fact we can’t possibly sign a goalie as bad as Walton. Midtable beckons again and those in Pune will continue to give no shits.

..... based on the player upheaval likely in the coming weeks, many out of contract, the best likely targets for other clubs, the apparent managerial indifference as to whether we "make progress" or not, but most of all, the current direction of travel and dire form, as we stand at the moment I can't see anything other than a relegation struggle next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Or Mowbray leaves, new man appointed, players respond, we are in promotion contention. This is just as hypothetical as your scenario 

Yes, it's just as hypothetical, but it's not as likely. Mowbray is the best and most logical appointment they made in a decade and that was luck. 

57 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

..... based on the player upheaval likely in the coming weeks, many out of contract, the best likely targets for other clubs, the apparent managerial indifference as to whether we "make progress" or not, but most of all, the current direction of travel and dire form, as we stand at the moment I can't see anything other than a relegation struggle next season. 

I think it's time you re-instated the usual " Relegation Thread " Jim.

49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes, it's just as hypothetical, but it's not as likely. Mowbray is the best and most logical appointment they made in a decade and that was luck. 

I wouldn't agree there. Lambert and his two assistants whose names I've forgotten ( was Rob Kelly one ? ) was the most logical appointment they've made. Mowbray was a forgotten man when we appointed him.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There was nothing logical about the Mowbray appointment at all, he had just gone 10 games without a win in the third division not long previously!

As luck had it, he was a good fit for a while.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

Last night was very interesting.

From bits I saw, Mowbray, IMO, looked very disinterested.  

Was Venus there - someone mentioned they didn't see him?

The normally statuesque Lowe seemed, IMO, to throw a wobbler at the end.

No Mowbray comments that I can see in the LT.

You can but hope that this is the end for Mowbray, Venus, Lowe and Benson.

Mowbray looked very unhappy during the game by certain players performances last night. 

Yes Venus was there. 
There is no comments in the LT cos of a techicnal issue as Rich Sharpe said this morning on twitter. 

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't agree there. Lambert and his two assistants whose names I've forgotten ( was Rob Kelly one ? ) was the most logical appointment they've made. Mowbray was a forgotten man when we appointed him.

I disagree back ? Maybe at the time it looked logical,  but Lamberts record since show he was a worse appointment than Mowbray.

I'm not saying the Mowbray appointment was logical by normal standards, I'm talking about Venky land. 

My point being, I wouldn't trust them to appoint someone who wouldn't relegate us. 

Would you?? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

There was nothing logical about the Mowbray appointment at all, he had just gone 10 games without a win in the third division not long previously!

As luck had it, he was a good fit for a while.

Compared to the others I would argue it was. Are you forgetting that rogues gallery? 

My point is they can't be trusted to make logical appointments , even Mowbray was far from logical, but when you compare him to the others....

• Like 1