BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Compared to the others I would argue it was. Are you forgetting that rogues gallery? 

My point is they can't be trusted to make logical appointments , even Mowbray was far from logical, but when you compare him to the others....

I certainly agree that they don't make logical appointments.

At the time when he joined I couldn't really separate Coyle from Mowbray, both seemed like desperate yesterdays men that were only hired because they had managed to get somebody promoted to the premier league in the past decade, they had also both made pig's ears of several of there previous jobs.

Mowbray despite what people think of him now, has probably done better than anyone here expected when we joined, pure luck that he was a decent fit at the time.

Of course now I wouldn't put Mowbray in Coyles bracket at all, but I still think that his time here has probably should come to an end.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

Some interesting Championship team stats for the season:-

Rovers had the least amount of shots in the league from inside the 6 yard box - 0.7 per game (no surprise at all to anyone who's seen us play - very few crosses go in to the danger area)

Rovers were 19th for total shots per game - 11.5

Rovers were the 6th highest scorers - 66 goals

Rovers were 22nd for number of tackles made per game - 14.2

Rovers were 8th for possession % per game - 51.6%

Rovers were 11th for pass success rate - 75.3%

I don't know why I go on the Rovers FB pages. Just read a post saying 'our beloved Tony Mowbray'. 

Now I understand there are differing views on his competency in the role but that's giving him almost God-like status - and for what? Stability?

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

268 pages virtually all missing the point that not once has Venkys changed manager for football reasons. 

Not true imo.

At the end of Bowyer's tenure it was looking very much like he might take us into League 1. He was sacked and replaced with Lambert who theoretically should have been a massive upgrade on Bowyer.  It turned out he wasn't but he nevertheless just about managed to keep us up.

Then Coyle was definitely taking us down and was replaced by Mowbray who did reasonably when he first came in and nearly kept us up.

So it does seem maybe they do sit up and take notice if it looks like we're in danger of relegation. Since promotion though Mowbray always seems to have had the knack of pulling out a couple of unexpected results just in time after we've been on a long losing run so we've never actually been in the danger zone for a sustained period. There's only so long you can keep getting away with it like that I'd have thought.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I don't know why I go on the Rovers FB pages. Just read a post saying 'our beloved Tony Mowbray'. 

Now I understand there are differing views on his competency in the role but that's giving him almost God-like status - and for what? Stability?

I suppose a lot of people have got used to the football we've been subjected to in the chicken chokers reign. Expectations are rock bottom for a lot of supporters.

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not true imo.

At the end of Bowyer's tenure it was looking very much like he might take us into League 1. He was sacked and replaced with Lambert who theoretically should have been a massive upgrade on Bowyer.  It turned out he wasn't but he nevertheless just about managed to keep us up.

Then Coyle was definitely taking us down and was replaced by Mowbray who did reasonably when he first came in and nearly kept us up.

So it does seem maybe they do sit up and take notice if it looks like we're in danger of relegation. Since promotion though Mowbray always seems to have had the knack of pulling out a couple of unexpected results just in time after we've been on a long losing run so we've never actually been in the danger zone for a sustained period. There's only so long you can keep getting away with it like that I'd have thought.

To be fair to the bloke we have never been close to being in the mire since coming back up. Like any midtable team, losing runs will see you down in the lower teens and winning runs will see you seemingly within striking distance of 6th. The fact we only ever got close to 6th after a sustained run of good results tells me we were a temporarily over-performing mid-table team. I can’t see Pune pressing the panic button after two season back, both well safe from relegation. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

Myers is Mowbrays biggest cheerleader on twitter interestingly 

Myers' tweets about Rovers are very patronising.

The subtext is how grateful and accepting we should be about watching mediocre Championship football.

He evidently sees that as our station.

• Like 3

Just now, Scotland1 said:

You know what lads I fancy some spark. I fancy Paolo Di Canio

After the lockdown football we’ve endured I’d take maradona and Barry fry. At least we would be entertained even if it can’t be in the grass

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Some interesting Championship team stats for the season:-

Rovers had the least amount of shots in the league from inside the 6 yard box - 0.7 per game (no surprise at all to anyone who's seen us play - very few crosses go in to the danger area)

Rovers were 19th for total shots per game - 11.5

Rovers were the 6th highest scorers - 66 goals

Rovers were 22nd for number of tackles made per game - 14.2

Rovers were 8th for possession % per game - 51.6%

Rovers were 11th for pass success rate - 75.3%

So he'll bash it in them again next season on the assumption some of those stats will improve and others will even themselves out.

Result = marginal gains and a place higher and what fans there are even more bored and frustrated.  On we plod.

10 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

After the lockdown football we’ve endured I’d take maradona and Barry fry. At least we would be entertained even if it can’t be in the grass

You’d be smoking it ?

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Confession time?

? He’d clear a good lot of the shysters in our payroll. Don’t let him be responsible for transfers but as a coach ask our man Tommy Miller 56 days pre season training even isnjired. Came back at 34 fittest he’s ever been in his career. Our lot have had it to easy on bowyer coyle Mowbray street time to flush them out. Bring in Paolo

Thanks for the ban Khod just for you...

87A7F488-7AB9-4A45-833B-1D8CB47EE50A.jpeg

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I certainly agree that they don't make logical appointments.

At the time when he joined I couldn't really separate Coyle from Mowbray, both seemed like desperate yesterdays men that were only hired because they had managed to get somebody promoted to the premier league in the past decade, they had also both made pig's ears of several of there previous jobs.

Mowbray despite what people think of him now, has probably done better than anyone here expected when we joined, pure luck that he was a decent fit at the time.

Of course now I wouldn't put Mowbray in Coyles bracket at all, but I still think that his time here has probably should come to an end.

If the next appointment was right and I would have little faith in that. 

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LDRover said:

Having recently got back in touch with a friend who is a Rovers fan but not on here i was shocked by how he and his other Rovers mates like TM. Decent football being cited as one thing, honest man of integrity another. Mind you they were also grateful for Venkys support the last few years! 

I do wonder if we generally lost those fans who are critical/demand higher standards from the Venkys fiasco. The Facebook group and my conversation the other day seem to bare this out. 

• Like 1

I would say there’s an element of that, but I would say we’ve just been browbeaten for so long, standards and expectations have dropped. Venky’s biggest legacy is to erase the belief that we should even be the club we were pre Jack in the 80s, i.e. even challenging for promotion.

The group I go to away games with are committed Rovers fans, proper dye in the wool. If we’d have been hammered in the PL days, the pitchforks would’ve been out with them in the boozer after for, say, Allardyce. Now? Just a shrug and another pint...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

http://roverschat.com/season-verdict-19-20/

"As a final note, with expectations, what we must remember is that we’ve no given right to be in the top six, and that the Championship is a league that sees plenty of ups and downs over a season, so we should manage our expectations accordingly"

The new breed of post-Venky Rovers fan, happy with a mid-table Championship finish.

Tony 'I hope we get in the Top 6 one day' Mowbray is the perfect manager for these times. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

He is literally deluded and coming out with Kean levels of tripe. I just want him gone I can’t stand him at the moment.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

http://roverschat.com/season-verdict-19-20/

"As a final note, with expectations, what we must remember is that we’ve no given right to be in the top six, and that the Championship is a league that sees plenty of ups and downs over a season, so we should manage our expectations accordingly"

The new breed of post-Venky Rovers fan, happy with a mid-table Championship finish.

Tony 'I hope we get in the Top 6 one day' Mowbray is the perfect manager for these times. 

Justifying our league position by glibly saying that the Championship is the best division on the planet.

Utter bollocks. It's competitive but best, never.

I think that the acceptance of being mediocre in particular permeates the younger element of our remaining fanbase who have little or no memory of life BV. They need to be 20 + to have full recall. Facebook is full of such victims.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I would say there’s an element of that, but I would say we’ve just been browbeaten for so long, standards and expectations have dropped. Venky’s biggest legacy is to erase the belief that we should even be the club we were pre Jack in the 80s, i.e. even challenging for promotion.

The group I go to away games with are committed Rovers fans, proper dye in the wool. If we’d have been hammered in the PL days, the pitchforks would’ve been out with them in the boozer after for, say, Allardyce. Now? Just a shrug and another pint...

If Venky’s decided to pull the plug tomorrow, there would be plenty of people saying “you can’t blame them, they have propped us up long enough, look how much they have invested, blah blah” and it would all be the fault of the stay away fans.