BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

It's also about pride in yourself and your performance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Justifying our league position by glibly saying that the Championship is the best division on the planet.

Utter bollocks. It's competitive but best, never.

I think that the acceptance of being mediocre in particular permeates the younger element of our remaining fanbase who have little or no memory of life BV. They need to be 20 + to have full recall. Facebook is full of such victims.

I was only thinking that the other day. Some of them have never seen a real Rovers team playing with passion, skill and flair. This dross on show at the moment is all they know.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Said it before I will say it again we.are.not.getting promoted with Mowbary in charge.  He has no intention of getting promotion.  He will do enough to keep the owners happy.  He us on a cushy number here and promotion would change that.  I think it is time to give DJ a shot.  I have a gut feel he could have this team playing well with a large contingent of our youth that he is familiar with.  A team with a consistent line up, players in their strongest positions playing to their strengths with a single purpose.  I really have a gut feel Damien could do netter for Blackburn Rovers than Mowbary has.

On 23/07/2020 at 23:33, AllRoverAsia said:

Soon after BCD started Mowbray said that games were like training sessions.

That attitude permeated the squad and scrubbed any PL aspirations and manifested itself in Mowbrays disinterested demeanour on matchdays

Basically, if he's not bothered with team motivation he should do one.

It's about PRIDE in the Shirt

Not bothered?  To me The way I see it is he has actively DE-motivated players.  Travis is one, a real ball of energy who burst on the scene, when he did he really excited me.with his win the ball and burst forward style of play.  Mowbary promptly dropped him as soon as others were available.  Travis upon his return was clearly a different player.  Much more sideways and back.  Brereton is another, obviously a lad with fragile confidence.  Plays a blinder pre season and Mowbary promptly drops him for the kick off.  Chasing a game and needing a goal Mowbary again rubs salt in the wounds by bringing on Buckley instead if him.  At the re.start.with BCD, Ben plays a couple of his nest games only to be promptly dropped to make way for the donkey that is Samuel.  He's done similar with Rothwell and Holtby.

To continually pick players such as Bennett over others who are better, you don't think players know this what does that do to a player, to play a blinder and be unceremoniously be dropped next game kills confidence and promotes a why bother attitude.  Get rid of him.

22 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Having recently got back in touch with a friend who is a Rovers fan but not on here i was shocked by how he and his other Rovers mates like TM. Decent football being cited as one thing, honest man of integrity another. Mind you they were also grateful for Venkys support the last few years! 

I do wonder if we generally lost those fans who are critical/demand higher standards from the Venkys fiasco. The Facebook group and my conversation the other day seem to bare this out. 

The club shop are missing a trick here buy not stocking the pinnacle of Venky's crowning glory especially in time for the 10th anniversary of their glorious reign. I imagine 50 quid replicas of the you were not as good as Wigan but at least you tried (a bit) 3rd division runners up trophies would fly off the shelves.

• Like 2

On 24/07/2020 at 09:35, AllRoverAsia said:

Justifying our league position by glibly saying that the Championship is the best division on the planet.

Utter bollocks. It's competitive but best, never.

I think that the acceptance of being mediocre in particular permeates the younger element of our remaining fanbase who have little or no memory of life BV. They need to be 20 + to have full recall. Facebook is full of such victims.

The Championship is much lauded as being ‘highly competitive’ but it could just as easily be described as ‘highly inconsistent’.

In this division, teams get promoted with the momentum of stringing good runs of form together. This happens when you keep the same team week after week, with some quality off the bench when needed.

Managers who build this kind of team rightly get the plaudits but it is the approach that gets promotion to the PL.

Conversely L1 is about having the best squad, and the slog of attritional football. Mowbray was successful with this but seems to think he can use this same tactic in the Championship.

It’s interesting the parallels with Smallwood Smallwood as a player is a cameo of Mowbray as a manager. Respectable and successful in L1 but not up to the required standard at the next level. (Even Mowbray Mk1 knew what was needed when he fired West Brom up as Champions but has since regressed). Now that Smallwood has gone everyone agrees that his level was L1 and the same will be said about Mowbray.

Right now it feels as though we have a test match batsman trying to win at Twenty-20. Yes, he might stay in and steadily get runs but that isn’t what’s needed.

• Like 2

Can't help but feel the man himself is frustrated with the situation but is more than happy to 'put up and shut up' for the generous Coin he is receiving...he and Waggott know when their Bread is buttered.We are set to be in this mid table mediocrity for some time to come.

There will be no promotion with the present incumbents in charge.I find Mowbray dour and uninspiring as a manager and its reflected in his team at times.

Edited by A Northern Horde...

Final 10 games of the Season so covers all BCD, the ones Mowbray referred to as training games.

If you look at the full table in the Link you can see those who took them more seriously, Cardiff and Swansea as prime examples.

What gets to me is that PNE are still above us in the ''poo'' league at the bottom.

:red_card: to Mowbray.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/form-guide/ten

Capture.PNG

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Final 10 games of the Season so covers all BCD, the ones Mowbray referred to as training games.

If you look at the full table in the Link you can see those who took them more seriously, Cardiff and Swansea as prime examples.

What gets to me is that PNE are still above us in the ''poo'' league at the bottom.

:red_card: to Mowbray.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/form-guide/ten

Capture.PNG

I suspect that could be the league position we end up in next season.

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we were relegated to L1 plenty said that if PPG during Mowbrays time, 15 or so games, was applied to a full season we would have been fine.

On the back of that sort of logic and despite the relegation Mowbray got the gig full time. With the, fortunate to Mowbray, removal of Paul Senior, Mowbray then took full control of the playing side and soon got his mate in as CEO or similar.

Now he's so much of a fixture that he runs the show and seemingly immune from proper questioning by his supposed peers at Ewood or the local "bought" media.

His attitude to BCD in words and his demeanour contributed to our end of season failure.

I didn't want him from Day 1 and nothing has changed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

At the end of the day he's proven to not be a man of his word. 

He's not walked.

Did he say he would if we didn’t get to 70 points?

Genuinely missed that.

We have learned that Mowbray mistakes are costing us at least 12 points a season from his 2.3 seasons in the Championship with us.

No way will we get a team good enough to overcome that inherent handicap.

Wake me up when Mowbray is gone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I have always been under the impression , that Rovers as a club , didnt really want the restart , quite happy for the season to end in March whatever date it was...

Seeing , the table confirms my view..

I still don't understand this appetite that some posters have to replace the manager?

You must believe that the current crop or players are good enough to go up? or that a new manager can bring in enough quality on free transfers to get us promoted?

I can't think of a manager that can do either of the above.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I still don't understand this appetite that some posters have to replace the manager?

You must believe that the current crop or players are good enough to go up? or that a new manager can bring in enough quality on free transfers to get us promoted?

So you think Mowbray is getting the most out of this squad? He can't even settle on a formation.

At the end of the day, he's badly mismanaged the generous (for the Championship) resources he's been gifted. Any manager worth his salt should have us in the playoffs. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Gav said:

He has been here 3 years and he still doesn't know his starting 11 or preferred system.

He spunked 7 million on one player who he rarely gives a start too and when he does he puts him out wide.Another 5 million on another misfiring striker who he decided to play out wide.

Look at the gaping holes we have to fill in our squad after he has consistently talking about a slow build and yet 3 years on the squad is in a very poor state.

He constantly throws younger players under the bus in the media but protects under performing senior players like Bennett

Plenty of reasons why some fans would want a change 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Gav said:

Leeds and Sheff Utd fans have probably said similar over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

Captain Mowbray came 3rd at Cartmel earlier. Outpaced early on, made mistakes, not fluent 4 out and plugged on gamely without ever threatening.

I bet Mercer had a fiver on it :tu:

• Like 3

On 26/07/2020 at 16:01, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Leeds and Sheff Utd fans have probably said similar over the last few years. 

I saw an interview with Dyche yesterday who claimed that Leeds current wage bill with bonuses is double that of burnleys - £60m+, you can guarantee West Brom is massive also.

Money doesn't automatically buy success as we know, but it helps, especially in todays market. 

Gives you some idea what Tony and the club are up against.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

I saw an interview with Dyche yesterday who claimed that Leeds current wage bill with bonuses is double that of burnleys - £60m+, you can guarantee West Brom is massive also.

Money doesn't automatically buy success as we know, but it helps, especially in todays market. 

Gives you some idea what Tony and the club are up against.

If Dyche did say that he might want to have a word with his Chairman. 

Leeds last published wage bill was £46.2m.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-accounts-wage-bill-18066284

Burnley's last published wage bill was £87m.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/premier-league-wages-burnley-garlick-18063290

• Like 4

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18610900.mowbray-feels-rovers-can-challenge-cure-achilles-heel/?action=success#comments-feedback-ancho

'Rovers were within touching distance of the top six for much of the season half of the season, but fell away after the re-start following three successive defeats'

Rich can't make his mind up!

• Like 1