BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I've never been 'in the know'; so I've no names to put forward.

But I'd give my eye teeth for a Premier League player coming towards the end of his playing career - a sort of latter-day Howard Kendall - to re-shape the squad and, ideally, have the same sort of effect that he did in the early 1980s. Imagine, for example, finding a good keeper from the National League [North]!

2 hours ago, Gav said:

You're quite right its the clubs job and they seem to think we're better of with Mowbray, I happen to agree with them simply because I can't find anyone who could replace him and get us promoted, in fact I can see one of two that would probably send us the other way!

If we'd had a terrible season, flirted with relegation i could see the benefits of bringing in a new man, but we haven't, its steady away and nothing wrong with that for now.

They will stick with Mowbray through ignorance and because they have not appointed a suitably enlightened chief executive who could make an informed appointment.

It's abundantly obvious that Mowbray has reached the end of his shelf life at Rovers, and that our direction of travel under him will very soon be backwards.

That's what happens in this game when you attempt to tread water.

Suitable candidates to take us forward are out there, some of them obvious, (e.g. Hughton), some less obvious, (which is why you need a real chief exec, rather than a hired goon for window dressing), to pick the right one.

We are snookered.

• Like 2

Just now, m1st said:

But I'd give my eye teeth for a Premier League player coming towards the end of his playing career - a sort of latter-day Howard Kendall - to re-shape the squad and, ideally, have the same sort of effect that he did in the early 1980s. Imagine, for example, finding a good keeper from the National League [North]!

We should probably be looking bringing in Gareth Ainsworth. This could be the only summer we can get him. 

Can you imagine if he gets Wycombe into the playoffs next season with a promotion bounce and the shrewd investment he showed last season. We'll never get anywhere near appointing him again.

Otherwise Karl Robinson could be a good option.

9 minutes ago, phili said:

We should probably be looking bringing in Gareth Ainsworth. This could be the only summer we can get him. 

Can you imagine if he gets Wycombe into the playoffs next season with a promotion bounce and the shrewd investment he showed last season. We'll never get anywhere near appointing him again.

Otherwise Karl Robinson could be a good option.

Neither have done anything above League One level or at a club remotely near the size of Rovers. 

Impressive work at small clubs in the lower leagues with no pressure. 

I'd rather we got someone proven and capable of getting a club into the Premier League. Plenty of obvious candidates all of which will be employed somewhere in the coming weeks and months.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Neither have done anything above League One level or at a club remotely near the size of Rovers. 

Impressive work at small clubs in the lower leagues with no pressure. 

I'd rather we got someone proven and capable of getting a club into the Premier League. Plenty of obvious candidates all of which will be employed somewhere in the coming weeks and months.

Tony Mowbray has already proven he is capable of getting a club into the PL.

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Tony Mowbray has already proven he is capable of getting a club into the PL.

12 years ago.

He spent 12 million on Gallagher and Brereton and he can't get anything out of them.

It seems like the tap been turned off again so we are stuck with the two of them,thus far Mowbray can't get anything out of them maybe another coach would.

It takes too long for the penny to drop with Mowbray from being too loyal to the like of Smallwood and Bennet etc to continually playing players out of position which doesn't work.

It's time for a change

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Who do you suggest who would realistically want the job of working for the Raos ?

It's utterly pointless me suggesting anyone to you because whoever I say you will dismiss them out of hand, as in your mind no one but Mowbray could possibly do the job.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Who do you suggest who would realistically want the job of working for the Raos ?

Money talks ,if they offer enough money then plenty of managers would be willing to come and work here.

Didn't Warnock agree to come here?Instead we ended up with Coyle and relegation while Warnock got Cardiff promoted.

Just now, phili said:

Apparently so, he saved them for free and the fun of it as he was missing the game.

Would be the best bonus they ever paid out if he manages it. Also shows the confidence of the man.

43 minutes ago, martonrover said:

They will stick with Mowbray through ignorance and because they have not appointed a suitably enlightened chief executive who could make an informed appointment.

It's abundantly obvious that Mowbray has reached the end of his shelf life at Rovers, and that our direction of travel under him will very soon be backwards.

That's what happens in this game when you attempt to tread water.

Suitable candidates to take us forward are out there, some of them obvious, (e.g. Hughton), some less obvious, (which is why you need a real chief exec, rather than a hired goon for window dressing), to pick the right one.

We are snookered.

This season has seen the emergence of Armstrong, his finishing and all round game has significantly improved under Mowbray, the same can be said about Nyambe. We have Gallagher who will be decent at this level, Dack to come back and Lenihan has all the attributes to play at a higher level, a decent nucleus of a team.

The assumption that we're going backwards, when in fact we've finished higher in the league than last season with more points and players are improving, simply isn't correct.

Of course I'm not saying everything is perfect, we need to improve several positions starting with a keeper, but the side continues to gain experience at this level, which is extremely important and a few additions gives us a better chance than rolling that dice in my opinion marton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m1st said:

Lots of top players don't have to do that these days. They've made enough money to just retire. When was the last successful player manager ?

59 minutes ago, Gav said:

This season has seen the emergence of Armstrong, his finishing and all round game has significantly improved under Mowbray, the same can be said about Nyambe. We have Gallagher who will be decent at this level, Dack to come back and Lenihan has all the attributes to play at a higher level, a decent nucleus of a team.

The assumption that we're going backwards, when in fact we've finished higher in the league than last season with more points and players are improving, simply isn't correct.

Of course I'm not saying everything is perfect, we need to improve several positions starting with a keeper, but the side continues to gain experience at this level, which is extremely important and a few additions gives us a better chance than rolling that dice in my opinion marton.

The problem is that the hole at the bottom of the bucket keeps getting bigger, ie we can't defend and are showing no signs of improvement in that crucial area.

We currently have no goalkeepers and only one decent centre half on our books.

Okay, we got slightly more points that last season and finished marginally higher up the table, but not enough to claim tangible progress. That constitutes treading water, in my book.

By default, I reluctantly agree with your last sentence, but only due to the point I made about the ignorance of the owners and the chief executive they have installed.

• Like 4

We have improved our league position Gav that is true,for me his one and only saving grace.

We should be aiming to brake into the top six next season..if it doesn't look like coming to fruition then we should thank him for his efforts and part ways at the earliest possible opportunity.As early as possible.

Mowbray does not inspire me personally never mind the players,I find his talk and body language dour and apathetic at times.Talks up Clubs like ferkin Brentford like they are Barcelona!!

Edited by A Northern Horde...
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gav said:

He was and has always been considered an excellent finisher - in fact he was classed as the best finisher at Newcastle many years ago. Not sure they have really improved that as it seems something he is just natural at. I would agree that his all-round game has come on a bit but the lad is a CF and not really one of these fancy wide-forwards. He has got better at that admittedly but so he should as that is the position he played for Bolton and Birmingham(?) previously when on loan - so had plenty of practice by now.

As for the rest of the post, yes we finished 3 points better off but fell short of our own managers target. We now have to undergo a huge overhaul in the transfer window yet again because we bought in a couple of misfiring strikers. Not only do we now have to hope that 'defenders are coming' yet again, but also that we might actually get a goalkeeper. On top of that, our best all-round striker has left meaning we now have to hope and prey that these misfiring strikers learn hoe to play football in the next few weeks. 

21 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

He was and has always been considered an excellent finisher - in fact he was classed as the best finisher at Newcastle many years ago. Not sure they have really improved that as it seems something he is just natural at. I would agree that his all-round game has come on a bit but the lad is a CF and not really one of these fancy wide-forwards. He has got better at that admittedly but so he should as that is the position he played for Bolton and Birmingham(?) previously when on loan - so had plenty of practice by now.

As for the rest of the post, yes we finished 3 points better off but fell short of our own managers target. We now have to undergo a huge overhaul in the transfer window yet again because we bought in a couple of misfiring strikers. Not only do we now have to hope that 'defenders are coming' yet again, but also that we might actually get a goalkeeper. On top of that, our best all-round striker has left meaning we now have to hope and prey that these misfiring strikers learn hoe to play football in the next few weeks. 

Expect the worst, hope for the best

3 hours ago, Gav said:

The highest finish for five years wouldn’t normally prompt calls for a manager’s head along with predictions of imminent doom. 

He isn’t getting fired - there’s no money to pay him and his team off anyway - and he’s showing no signs of walking away, and why would he? 

I expect this thread to reach at least 500 pages before we have a different manager.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Would be the best bonus they ever paid out if he manages it. Also shows the confidence of the man.

Yet somehow he was outbid by Coyle during the Rovers reverse auction interview process!