BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

6 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

The highest finish for five years wouldn’t normally prompt calls for a manager’s head along with predictions of imminent doom. 

He isn’t getting fired - there’s no money to pay him and his team off anyway - and he’s showing no signs of walking away, and why would he? 

I expect this thread to reach at least 500 pages before we have a different manager.

Glad to see you understand the real reason we aren't changing managers. Mowbray set the target at 70 points and playoffs as the absolute minimum. We didn't get there. That's why there are calls for the manager's head.

10 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Glad to see you understand the real reason we aren't changing managers. Mowbray set the target at 70 points and playoffs as the absolute minimum. We didn't get there. That's why there are calls for the manager's head.

I missed the bit where he said that was the absolute minimum, as opposed to the target, and that it would be a resigning matter if we fell short.

I think people have conflated different things he said - and he certainly says a lot of nonsense - such as 70 points being the target and him being willing to walk away if he felt he couldn’t take us any further. I’m pretty sure he didn’t say those in the same sentence and there’s a huge difference between him feeling he’s taken us as far as he can and a few dozen posters on here feeling it.

• Like 2

lots of us want mowbray gone because the football is mind numbing,the team is mentally weak,everybody is out of position and he`s blown 12 million quid on two strikers,one of whom would look out of place on a sunday morning and the other who spends games out wide looking lost,this team makes big sams look cavalier,at least his side could defend though

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I missed the bit where he said that was the absolute minimum, as opposed to the target, and that it would be a resigning matter if we fell short.

I think people have conflated different things he said - and he certainly says a lot of nonsense - such as 70 points being the target and him being willing to walk away if he felt he couldn’t take us any further. I’m pretty sure he didn’t say those in the same sentence and there’s a huge difference between him feeling he’s taken us as far as he can and a few dozen posters on here feeling it.

Mowbray didn't say it would be a resigning matter if he didn't. Mowbray said he lived his life by "honesty, integrity, humility and respect" in a BBC Sport interview on taking over as Celtic manager June 17th 2009. I would expect someone who claims to live like that to resign after failing to hit his targets. Missed targets usually gets people fired in the 'real world'.

I think the feeling that Mowbray can't take us any further extends way beyond a few dozen posters on here. Mowbray, however, thinks he can get us into the premier league. @simongarnerisgod ,above, posts reasons why his confidence maybe misplaced.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Mowbray didn't say it would be a resigning matter if he didn't. Mowbray said he lived his life by "honesty, integrity, humility and respect" in a BBC Sport interview on taking over as Celtic manager June 17th 2009. I would expect someone who claims to live like that to resign after failing to hit his targets. Missed targets usually gets people fired in the 'real world'.

I think the feeling that Mowbray can't take us any further extends way beyond a few dozen posters on here. Mowbray, however, thinks he can get us into the premier league. @simongarnerisgod ,above, posts reasons why his confidence maybe misplaced.

Given how much he babbles on pretty much every day, picking one thing he said 11 years ago and applying your own values against it hardly counts as evidence of anything in my view. But I suspect we can both agree that being owned by Venkys is a very long way from a normal definition of the real world.

• Like 1

It should be blatantly obvious to anyone that we'll never get promoted from the Championship under Mowbray and probably won't even seriously challenge for the play offs so with that in mind I'd rather give Damien Johnson a chance to see what he can do rather than do nothing and stick with Mowbray who we know won't get us anywhere.

If Johnson fails, so be it, we'd have to get a more experienced man, in but at least we tried something as opposed to doing nothing and resigning ourself to failure season after season. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If Mowbray goes the same people at Rovers will make the ultimate decision as to his successor as went for Coyle.

Been said before but they picked Mowbray who apparently you're happy with so that rather defeats your argument.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Given how much he babbles on pretty much every day, picking one thing he said 11 years ago and applying your own values against it hardly counts as evidence of anything in my view. But I suspect we can both agree that being owned by Venkys is a very long way from a normal definition of the real world.

It is claimed by a number of posters over a number of years that Mowbray has "honesty, integrity, humility and respect". Do you think Mowbray has these values?

You say that Mowbray babbles everyday. Do you dismiss everything he says as not being evidence of anything?

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It should be blatantly obvious to anyone that we'll never get promoted from the Championship under Mowbray and probably won't even seriously challenge for the play offs so with that in mind I'd rather give Damien Johnson a chance to see what he can do rather than do nothing and stick with Mowbray who we know won't get us anywhere.

If Johnson fails, so be it, we'd have to get a more experienced man, in but at least we tried something as opposed to doing nothing and resigning ourself to failure season after season. 

I don't follow your thinking on this Rev.

Mowbray already has 1 promotion under his belt at Ewood, he won a Championship league title and gained promotion to the Premiership with West Brom, but you want to replace him with a coach who has never bought a player and never managed a football club, he was running the under 14's a few years ago!

Thats just bonkers, with respect.

Mowbray needs to bring in a new keeper, a new defender to replace Tosin, potentially Tosin himslef! and do some tinkering around the edges. If after 10 games we don't look like challenging then yes get rid, but not for Damien Johnson, that would be madness and show that we've learnt nothing from appointing cr@p coaches in the past.

• Like 3

I suppose we just have to hope that the old school approach of giving a manager time works for us. 

If it doesn't , we just have to hope someone , Mowbray included, knows when it's time to end the relationship. I don't think it is as clear cut as this is the time, contrary to many on here. Whilst very, very frustrating at times, he has done just about enough to have another season here. Just about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Changed your bogeyman from Phil Brown then. Oh well, I guess we must stay with Tony and finish 14th every season.

We finished 11th this season :rock:

As BDS says above, giving the manager time may just work to our advantage, the sides got more experience in this league, the manager knows we have a number of weak links that aren't capable of pushing on, look to replace them.

Mowbray knows what it takes to get out of this league, we have to hope he can pull it off. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes but at the end of the day he wasn't. What did relegation cost us ? Penny wise and pound foolish.

This is the epitaph of the entire Venky reign so far.

Pinch pounds with one hand and throw 50 pound notes on the bonfire with the other.

7 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Changed your bogeyman from Phil Brown then. Oh well, I guess we must stay with Tony and finish 14th every season.

Didn't we finish 11th place this season?. Improve on last season and half the season without Dack. 

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

We finished 11th this season :rock:

As BDS says above, giving the manager time may just work to our advantage, the sides got more experience in this league, the manager knows we have a number of weak links that aren't capable of pushing on, look to replace them.

Mowbray knows what it takes to get out of this league, we have to hope he can pull it off. 

Well he knew at one point, does he now? The jury is out. If we don't get into the play offs next season he can't really ask for much more time or support. Especially if we regress. 

Big season for Tony 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

It is claimed by a number of posters over a number of years that Mowbray has "honesty, integrity, humility and respect". Do you think Mowbray has these values?

You say that Mowbray babbles everyday. Do you dismiss everything he says as not being evidence of anything?

Pretty much.  He has to fill so many interviews day after day, and he wasn’t selected for his oratory. 

Everything in life is relative. Does he have those qualities relative to the football industry - probably. Relative to Mother Theresa - probably not.

• Like 2

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Pretty much.  He has to fill so many interviews day after day, and he wasn’t selected for his oratory. 

Everything in life is relative. Does he have those qualities relative to the football industry - probably. Relative to Mother Theresa - probably not.

Spot on John

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well he knew at one point, does he now? The jury is out. If we don't get into the play offs next season he can't really ask for much more time or support. Especially if we regress. 

Big season for Tony 

Who won’t he get time or support from, brfcs? Well that ship has already sailed for most on here. The owners? I’ve never seem much pressure from them to really go for promotion.

We finish, say, 8th next season and I don’t expect much clamour for him to go from the fanbase, ‘progression’ after all, I think many on here have failed to grasp just how secure his tenure is with the wider support. As long as we aren’t in a relegation battle he’s safe as houses. Bobbing along in the second division is good enough for the majority these days, I rarely pick up any expectation, or even much ambition for promotion.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Who won’t he get time or support from, brfcs? Well that ship has already sailed for most on here. The owners? I’ve never seem much pressure from them to really go for promotion.

We finish, say, 8th next season and I don’t expect much clamour for him to go from the fanbase, ‘progression’ after all, I think many on here have failed to grasp just how secure his tenure is with the wider support. As long as we aren’t in a relegation battle he’s safe as houses. Bobbing along in the second division is good enough for the majority these days, I rarely pick up any expectation, or even much ambition for promotion.

I think after 10 years of crushing disappointment, most fans have given up.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The problem with handing the reigns to someone like Damien Johnson is that the only way we're going to progress as a club is by being shrewd in the transfer market.

Realistically we need half a team of starters for next season, on the cheap - what experience does Damien Johnson have in the transfer market? Zero, I'd wager. 

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I think after 10 years of crushing disappointment, most fans have given up.

Yes, the trajectory still feels somewhat downwards, to be fair. At least in the old 3rd Division, when we started our annual battles against promotion, there was something about the club that made me look forward to each new season. Now it is a vague hope that there may be some change that keeps me going, rather than any real belief that something might actually happen... :(

• Like 2

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The problem with handing the reigns to someone like Damien Johnson is that the only way we're going to progress as a club is by being shrewd in the transfer market.

Realistically we need half a team of starters for next season, on the cheap - what experience does Damien Johnson have in the transfer market? Zero, I'd wager. 

Be great to have Gary Bowyer as a second in command imo. Had an eye for a player that fella, just tactically too safe.

Would be a great cautious assistant manager to more maverick tactics favoured by Johnson.