BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

50 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Be great to have Gary Bowyer as a second in command imo. Had an eye for a player that fella, just tactically too safe.

Would be a great cautious assistant manager to more maverick tactics favoured by Johnson.

His tactics were a bit rank tbh and he couldn't set up a defense either so i'll pass on that one ta.

I'd put Johnson in right now and have Mowbray mentor him for a season.  By mentor i mean step back into the background and let Johnson take full charge of team selection, training and tactics.  Just be there if needed for advice etc and keep a presence about the place to keep the players in check so they don't take the piss.

He likes slumping back in the dugout on matchdays anyway so that doesn't need to change.

• Like 1

Why do we have the clamour for Damien to be appointed? 

How many coaches have gone on to be great managers? If we were looking for a coach to have a go who is an old player, surely Jason Wilcox would be the better bet?

For the next manager, we need a wheeler dealer with experience. Not someone learning the ropes

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

They haven't chosen Brown - yet.......

They pulled Mowbray from the bottom of the very same barrel Coyle was in and Lambert so who knows what's down there. For all we know he might be no worse, no better either but if the dice has to be rolled i'm pretty sure it won't land Brown side up.

I'd wager he'll be into a lower league job before that happens then you'll have to throw up the next biggest nightmare you can find.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phili said:

Why do we have the clamour for Damien to be appointed? 

How many coaches have gone on to be great managers? If we were looking for a coach to have a go who is an old player, surely Jason Wilcox would be the better bet?

For the next manager, we need a wheeler dealer with experience. Not someone learning the ropes

Exactly, Johnson is in the perfect place for him and the club right now 

4 hours ago, Gav said:

We finished 11th this season :rock:

As BDS says above, giving the manager time may just work to our advantage, the sides got more experience in this league, the manager knows we have a number of weak links that aren't capable of pushing on, look to replace them.

Mowbray knows what it takes to get out of this league, we have to hope he can pull it off. 

Well he's done it once so maybe you are right.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Just as well they didn't support the club between 1966 and 1975 then.

We still had the likes of Fergie, Hole, Newton, Rogers, Hunter, Wilson, Metcalfe, The Don Etc to admire at least half of that time. We had a couple of crap seasons then. I'd swap the last ten years for that era tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

We finished 11th this season :rock:

As BDS says above, giving the manager time may just work to our advantage, the sides got more experience in this league, the manager knows we have a number of weak links that aren't capable of pushing on, look to replace them.

Mowbray knows what it takes to get out of this league, we have to hope he can pull it off. 

He does and it's having a better budget than most others, a starting point of a squad with already Prem/good championship quality in it and being able to bring a few exotic names in.

Non of which applies to the job here sadly and the evidence we have over the last 2 seasons is he struggles to better a few clubs whose budgets are smaller.

I'm not advocating him sacked but lets deal in facts there's no evidence whatsoever in his career he can get blood from stones or polish turds.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He does and it's having a better budget than most others, a starting point of a squad with already Prem/good championship quality in it and being able to bring a few exotic names in.

Non of which applies to the job here sadly and the evidence we have over the last 2 seasons is he struggles to better a few clubs whose budgets are smaller.

I'm not advocating him sacked but lets deal in facts there's no evidence whatsoever in his career he can get blood from stones or polish turds.

To be honest tomphil I don't know many managers these days that fit the bill, its a hefty cheque book or bust for many.

Yes you can point to 2/3 that have done it, but then you can point to 15/20 that haven't.

Not easy though when you're Bournemouth how do you attract the kind of players good enough to improve your Prem standing ?

Either got to offer money way above your station or just hope they all want to live in a nice area.  He probably should have altered their style a bit don't think he has that in his locker.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

Not easy though when you're Bournemouth how do you attract the kind of players good enough to improve your Prem standing ?

Either got to offer money way above your station or just hope they all want to live in a nice area.  He probably should have altered their style a bit don't think he has that in his locker.

He hasn't done as well as Dyche and no fecker wants to live in Burnley! 

They’ve blown a big opportunity to really grow the club with the constant wrangling over the ground. Large and affluent catchment area, there was a massive waiting list for season tickets, but of course with a 10,000 capacity ground you aren’t getting them in.

That waiting list will now miraculously disappear and they’ll probably be back in the third tier at some point and back down to 4/5,000 crowds. 

Their PL legacy seems to be massive debt and enriched players and agents.

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He hasn't done as well as Dyche and no fecker wants to live in Burnley! 

Back to substance over style they set out to merely survive ever season and anything else is a bonus. I'd argue recruiting the more agricultural types is a bit easier.  Still got to know what you're doing and what you're looking for obviously.

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

They’ve blown a big opportunity to really grow the club with the constant wrangling over the ground. Large and affluent catchment area, there was a massive waiting list for season tickets, but of course with a 10,000 capacity ground you aren’t getting them in.

That waiting list will now miraculously disappear and they’ll probably be back in the third tier at some point and back down to 4/5,000 crowds. 

Their PL legacy seems to be massive debt and enriched players and agents.

I thought they had a Russian Oligarch funding them? If he stays they'll be fine. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama