BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

• Backroom

He's good enough if you want a team who performs at roughly the level they should do, sometimes a little higher or lower in either direction.

He is not good enough if you want a manager who can get a team punching above its weight, or a manager who considers defence as a major priority. It's not just Rovers where he has had a poor defence - it's practically every team he's ever managed. He's also not a manager you want to give much money to as he doesn't seem good at judging who to buy for serious money. There are a lot of managers with that problem though - Mark Hughes is another off the top of my head. Much better when the chequebook is limited. Compare the impact of Dack and Arma, bought for modest fees, against Gallagher and Brereton. 

• Like 3

Sick and tired of his waffle ... same crap different year ....Still No Defenders and lost count of how many transfer windows have passed  ..... Sounds like an old man who’s out of his depth .. 

..... always talks a good game but never walks the walk ...Will persist with BB & SG because he wants to be proved right even if the answers in his face .... 

• Like 1

• Backroom

It was theoretically exactly a year ago (1st game of season) the this thread started as Mowbray out.

I actually think he's earnt a lot of goodwill since then, done some good stuff, improved the attack and playing style considerably. 

And if we signed at least 2 competent defenders tomorrow (LB + CB), then I would be fully on board, could see the progression, and he would have flipped me to firmly "Morbray In" in 12 months. Fair play for that.

But......if we end this window with no, or extremely poor, defensive additions then I'm going to spontaneously combust.

And my anger will be directed at him. And I'd make no apologies for it.

He's a handsomely paid manager, operating at a fairly top level in World football, and has highlighted himself for 2 years that this squad needs defenders.

It's put up or ship out time. If he doesn't fix this glaringly obvious issue then deserves all the criticism he gets. 

And the transfer saga's/budget/owner problems don't wash with me. I fail to believe we don't have the resources and structure in place to at least double the effectiveness of that back 4 before the window closes. 

I mean, you're starting at such a base level to begin with, it would be some feat if any addition failed to improve it. 

• Like 1

Have to say that the substitutions to introduce Rothwell and Dolan was really great game management.

Set us up really well too - game plan of pressuring Bournemouth’s shite play out from the back, which lead to BB and JRC being knackered.

But then he brought Evans on when we were chasing a goal??

What’s that about??

Had to be Buckley.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

TM's post match comments continue to be astonishing, it's like there's no fans, players, club anything that exists except the picture in his mind of sitting on a table talking to the Venkys. Or the phone version of that. Everything that TM ever says is aimed at producing a nice little ring in their ears, logic and reality be damned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

TM's post match comments continue to be astonishing, it's like there's no fans, players, club anything that exists except the picture in his mind of sitting on a table talking to the Venkys. Or the phone version of that. Everything that TM ever says is aimed at producing a nice little ring in their ears, logic and reality be damned. 

Didnt glean anything like that from the interview that I saw.

Care to elaborate?

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Have to say that the substitutions to introduce Rothwell and Dolan was really great game management.

Set us up really well too - game plan of pressuring Bournemouth’s shite play out from the back, which lead to BB and JRC being knackered.

Is that you Tony.?  Anyone reading this would have deduced a win.

Defenders are coming!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr. E said:

I stopped reading half way through. His comments are just too familar and feels like they are on loop since he has been here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8148515/Tony-Mowbrays-Celtic-lacking-street-smarts-10-years-4-0-loss-St-Mirren.html

Interesting Mowbray article touching on expensive non-scoring forwards, and a defensively suspect and naïve team...and it's not about Rovers. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

Burton vs rovers 24th February 2017. Mowbray’s first game. Williams, lenihan, mulgrew and nyambe started. The rest of the side is a lot better but in terms of the defence there is pretty much zero progression in 3 years.

Says everything really and you could argue Mulgrew would still be in there had they not fallen out.

Dire way to be so called building a team allegedly to try for promotion at some point when they have form for leaking so many goals. Mowbray has his good points but even his chief tub thumpers can't defend this it's a piss take. 

Good guy, weak manager.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Didnt glean anything like that from the interview that I saw.

Care to elaborate?

He made no mention at all of our deep defensive frailties that led to the goals and the failures in the transfer market to strengthen or even to cover the positions where players have left, like Tosin. And he talks this fantasy nonsense about how "if we play like this for the rest of the season we'll be in the top six" - as if everything is fine, just some bad luck yesterday.

He has failed to build a defence and cannot get the job done on the transfer market, and that is what cost us yesterday and will cost of for the rest of the season unless we get several quality defenders in very soon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Unless we stop the goals against , another relegation is looming !!

It is so bloody basic, isn't it.

Last season, there were six away games, where we scored two and still lost.

From memory, we conceded 63 goals last season and 69 the season before. Too many. FFS,Tony.....SORT IT OUT!

• Like 3

This Word Wide network just wont work with this dinosaur of a manager ... it’s a waste of resources ... 

He will go by his list of contacts .. Noticed he comes out with a cup of coffee and once sat on his seat hardly gets up .... getting worse by each match .... just His whole body language comes across as am tired .... 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, unleaded said:

This Word Wide network just wont work with this dinosaur of a manager ... it’s a waste of resources ... 

He will go by his list of contacts .. Noticed he comes out with a cup of coffee and once sat on his seat hardly gets up .... getting worse by each match .... just His whole body language comes across as am tired .... 

It's likely to take time to bare fruit and its looked like the keeper has come via that so it's up and running at least. 

However i totally agree him and the club will go via their usual advisors and supply lines first every time. This is a guy who makes excuses up for a seasoned pro having to travel from Derby. A young player who's relocating from Southampton ( after playing and living in different places anyway) and moaning himself because he's 2 hrs from home during the week !

What's he going to be like when we start plucking guys from various corners of Europe ? 

Edited by tomphil