BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 14:03, Darwen Rover 007 said:

So just got home but heard Gareth Ainsworth on radio 5 live a short while ago... got to admit his words were very motivational, almost inspiring... 

Would take him in a heartbeat now.

I was reading an article about Mike O'Grady who for the youngsters was a winger playing for the very good Leeds Utd team in the 1960's. He was talking about playing away at Liverpool and Bill Shankly. He said Shankly was always waiting for the opposition team in the foyer as they got off the coach.. He'd say - " What are you doing here boys ? You'll get nothing today. You might as well just get back on the coach and go home " !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was reading an article about Mike O'Grady who for the youngsters was a winger playing for the very good Leeds Utd team in the 1960's. He was talking about playing away at Liverpool and Bill Shankly. He said Shankly was always waiting for the opposition team in the foyer as they got off the coach.. He'd say - " What are you doing here boys ? You'll get nothing today. You might as well just get back on the coach and go home " !

Similar era: Tommy Smith handing Jimmy Greaves a copy of the evening menu for Walton Hospital as they stood next to each other in the tunnel at Anfield pre-match and saying "You'll be needing this Jimmy".

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Similar era: Tommy Smith handing Jimmy Greaves a copy of the evening menu for Walton Hospital as they stood next to each other in the tunnel at Anfield pre-match and saying "You'll be needing this Jimmy".

Thuggery was the only way Smith could have played against Greaves who was a far greater player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Thuggery was the only way Smith could have played against Greaves who was a far greater player.

Greaves was a clever, skilful forward with silky ball skills and Smith a no nonsense, hard tackling centre half who also read the game well. They played against each other many times and in the spirit of the game in general, I'm unsure who got the better of who most. More skilful, definitely, better player I'm not so sure. Tommy also scored whilst on his way to becoming a European Cup winner. Jimmy did nothing to come close but he did have a sense of humour!

9 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Greaves was a clever, skilful forward with silky ball skills and Smith a no nonsense, hard tackling centre half who also read the game well. They played against each other many times and in the spirit of the game in general, I'm unsure who got the better of who most. More skilful, definitely, better player I'm not so sure. Tommy also scored whilst on his way to becoming a European Cup winner. Jimmy did nothing to come close but he did have a sense of humour!

I think Jimmy scored when Spurs won the Euro Cup winners cup. I remember Spurs parading the cup around the pitch at Ewood before Rovers battered them 3-0 ! If I had had to chose between Jimmy or Tommy to play for Rovers on Saturday Jimmy would win hands down. The best goal poacher I ever saw. Having said that he rarely played well at Ewood for some reason.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I know hope springs eternal but having watched the Bournemouth game I have to say I like the new system which is quite a radical departure from where we were for most of last season, we've actually got quite a lot of good attacking players, so am interested to see if Tony and the team have turned a corner. 

Desperately needs some quality defenders though or it's all for naught.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I know hope springs eternal but having watched the Bournemouth game I have to say I like the new system which is quite a radical departure from where we were for most of last season, we've actually got quite a lot of good attacking players, so am interested to see if Tony and the team have turned a corner. 

I agree with this. However,  I  cant see exactly how Dack would fit into this system. 

• Like 1

The Bournemouths lively bowling green pristine surface seemed to suit Rovers on Saturday i can see them hammering a few sides on that. Iv'e always felt the higher tempo game suits our side far better than sit back sideways possession.

We'd probably have lost with that approach anyway so it would be nice this season to just go for it in the majority of games. If the attitude is as it seems to be 'you win some you lose some' then why not make it exciting at least.

Midtable either way so why not.

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

I agree with this. However,  I  cant see exactly how Dack would fit into this system. 

Yes I was thinking that last night. Basically he would have to play as a false 9 I think.

On the balance I do think we are better pursuing a system which work for half a dozen of our attacking players rather than just one.

That said maybe we could have a fluid system that switches to 4231 when needed with the same personel?

Kaminski

Nyambe.    Lenihan.   Williams.   Bell

Travis.   Holtby.   Johnson. 

JRC.       Dack.     Armstrong. 

Kaminski

Nyambe.    Lenihan.   Williams.   Bell

Travis.     Johnson. 

JRC.            Dack.           Holtby

Armstrong 

• Like 1

If Dack truly is a PL player in waiting, then he ought to be able to adapt his game enough to be capable of having an impact in a 433 provided he's given the right role in it.  I agree with the principle that as a club, we should be playing a system that suits the majority of the squad, especially if the club has designs to cash in Dack's chips in the next 12 months.

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Jimmy scored when Spurs won the Euro Cup winners cup. I remember Spurs parading the cup around the pitch at Ewood before Rovers battered them 3-0 ! If I had had to chose between Jimmy or Tommy to play for Rovers on Saturday Jimmy would win hands down. The best goal poacher I ever saw. Having said that he rarely played well at Ewood for some reason.

Rare for me to disagree with you TS but of these two I think Rovers are more in need of a Tommy Smith than a Jimmy Greaves at the moment. Scoring goals isn't our problem.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Joey, for all our attacking prowess we had two shots on goal on Saturday. One I could have kept out.

Mowbray in LT on Newcastle:

“We’ll go to Newcastle and do what we did against Bournemouth, ask questions of them, play on the front foot and see whether they can live with the intensity we’re trying to find.”

I really do think our manager is delusional and has lost the plot.

• Like 5

Just now, Mercer said:

“We’ll go to Newcastle and do what we did against Bournemouth, ask questions of them, play on the front foot and see whether they can live with the intensity we’re trying to find.”

All of the above, then lose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I think to be honest you are dammed if you do or dammed if you don't at the moment. He's trying something new, it looked pretty good against Bournemouth, let's see how it goes next few games.

Prefer that to just hiding away with a defensive game.

• Like 4

Performance was ok, I think a side like Bournemouth will always allow you to play a bit of football though so we probably looked a bit better than we probably are.

Still, we only had two shots on target in the whole game, and we still conceded 3.

So nothing new really one game in.

Still though, I'm more intrigued to see how we go next week against Wycombe who will probably sit in, and look to pick us off with set pieces a bit like Luton did at Ewood last season.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think to be honest you are dammed if you do or dammed if you don't at the moment. He's trying something new, it looked pretty good against Bournemouth, let's see how it goes next few games.

Prefer that to just hiding away with a defensive game.

This.

37 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Performance was ok, I think a side like Bournemouth will always allow you to play a bit of football though so we probably looked a bit better than we probably are.

Still, we only had two shots on target in the whole game, and we still conceded 3.

So nothing new really one game in.

Still though, I'm more intrigued to see how we go next week against Wycombe who will probably sit in, and look to pick us off with set pieces a bit like Luton did at Ewood last season.

I agree I think that's where having a flexible approach could help. If a team sits in going 4231 or 4411 could help using whoever is at  the 10 role to unlock.

But then I suppose if they sit back we can still press them hard in 433 and get them to make mistakes and turn over the ball.

I know they're a trillion times better than us, but Liverpool hardly struggled to break teams down in a 433, they were just relentless.

I guess we will just see how it works. Probably other teams will work out best thing against us, no matter the vaguries of the formation, is to just hoof it as we are so weak under a high ball or running back towards our goal.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

If he comes out and does not make a bullish statement before a game he has been criticised; now if he comes out and does make a bullish statement he is getting criticised for that ! Things are just getting silly.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Steve Bruce team talk: "We should get a hatful against their crap defence but watch out for their intensity"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mercer said:

I seem to remember Souness losing the plot a bit before leaving... One can only hope.