BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

souness lost the plot by falling out with everyone and offering them all out,hard to imagine mowbray going beserk and pinning bennett to the dressing room wall☺️

True! But he could start playing him up front like Dino Baggio :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A few of us have been arguing for a while that Mowbray needed 10 games of the new season to galvanise the current squad and see if can squeeze a bit more out, the majority on here wanted him sacked.

It’s very early days, I don’t think we have the squad to go up, we’re 2/3 players short, but that’s not Mowbray fault, he can only wee with the willy he’s got.

Great start to the season Tony, long may it continue :tu:

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

When you think about our 2016/17 trip to Derby County (where we did actually win), and you look at the squad that we took... it’s actually so relieving and exciting to think about where we are now. Some of the players in the match day squad: 

Jason Steele
Jason Lowe
Danny Guthrie
Gordon Greer
Hope Akpan
Wes Brown
Liam Feeney 

Then you fast forward to now, in the 2020/21. Our squad, the way we play, the press and the passion and the inensity. The skill on the ball and the high calibre players.

If you’d have told me we’d have the likes of Lewis Holtby and Daniel Ayala knocking around our team, and we’d be scoring 11 goals in 3 games this season, back at the end of the 2016/17 relegation season, I’d have laughed you off the forum.

We’ve come a long way, and I haven’t even touched on the youth progression side of things either. Tony Mowbray has absolutely revolutionised this football club, it’s philosophies and has only ever sold ONE important player at the club in 8 transfer windows.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

When you think about our 2016/17 trip to Derby County (where we did actually win), and you look at the squad that we took... it’s actually so relieving and exciting to think about where we are now. Some of the players in the match day squad: 

Jason Steele
Jason Lowe
Danny Guthrie
Gordon Greer
Hope Akpan
Wes Brown
Liam Feeney 

Then you fast forward to now, in the 2020/21. Our squad, the way we play, the press and the passion and the inensity. The skill on the ball and the high calibre players.

If you’d have told me we’d have the likes of Lewis Holtby and Daniel Ayala knocking around our team, and we’d be scoring 11 goals in 3 games this season, back at the end of the 2016/17 relegation season, I’d have laughed you off the forum.

We’ve come a long way, and I haven’t even touched on the youth progression side of things either. Tony Mowbray has absolutely revolutionised this football club, it’s philosophies and has only ever sold ONE important player at the club in 8 transfer windows.

Not so fair a comparison. One given three years with no sales and a good budget, the other sells his best players with no replacements. 

Go back a further year for a team of Gestede, Rhodes, Ciarney, Conway, Marshall, Hanley, King and Duffy and you see we have had a strong championship team before (how the hell that team never even got playoffs is a travesty). Progression compared with this team in terms of quality is much less pronounced. 

That said am I glad we are where we are than under Owen Clueless - too right. Not defending Clueless as a manager at all, just saying it's not a fair comparison. 

And fair comparison or not I also appreciate that we are in a better position than that year. 

I also think while Bowyer was better at spotting players TM would have got the Rhodes et al squad into the playoffs. 

And as another aside from this comparison it's interesting that of  Bowyer's unfulfilled potential team Evans is the only one still here (I think). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

And fair comparison or not I also appreciate that we are in a better position than that year. 

I also think while Bowyer was better at spotting players TM would have got the Rhodes et al squad into the playoffs. 

And as another aside from this comparison it's interesting that of  Bowyer's unfulfilled potential team Evans is the only one still here (I think). 

Good way of summing things up. I think whilst there have been valid criticisms of TM's selection policy, there's no way that he would have stuck to the rigid 442 which might have suited some of our squad, contributed to letting King & Judge slip through our fingers. 

Agree that we shouldn't forget Bowyer's incredible ability to spot good value players. Cairney, O'Connell, Rudy, Conway, Marshall, Duffy, Judge, Evans and Spurr for about half a Sam Gallagher. Then again, he also brought in Steele, Brown and Varney, so it just goes to show that you can't win them all. 

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

If I’m not mistaken it’s Kean out day today. As much as Mowbray frustrates the hell out of me sometimes it’s not a patch on those days. If it is Kean out day merry Kean out day or is it happy Kean out day.

It is one of the best days of my life Kean out day- I was that happy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, philipl said:

It is one of the best days of my life Kean out day- I was that happy.

I remember the feeling of optimism going to the Charlton game. I had my team back. Things didn't necessarily improve but a glimmer of hope that was almost completely extinguished by that cretin did return. 

We are lightyears away from those dark old days with Tony. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matt83 said:

If I’m not mistaken it’s Kean out day today. As much as Mowbray frustrates the hell out of me sometimes it’s not a patch on those days. If it is Kean out day merry Kean out day or is it happy Kean out day.

My thoughts on this special day are with his biggest supporter Mrs Desai. Not only did she loose the man who's only qualifications were apparently he works long hours and was a master at blowing smoke up her arse, but she also lost Margaret and those cosy girliy nights in, in  Pune and it was also the beginning of the end for her just a like a family member Jerome. What a sad day it must be for her and her brothers.

Chin up Mrs Desai, I'm sure making him rich beyond his wildest dreams is some compensation, hopefully the undeserved windfall as not made his liver suffer more.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 6

I spoke to a Rovers fan yesterday who had been watching us from the early 90’s (Pre-PL like me) and stated boldly that he had NEVER seen Rovers play better football than the first four games (inc cup) of this season under Mowbray!

I was gobsmacked!!! “What? Better than Kenny’s Champs? Than Hughes team? Than Souness’ team the year they came back up? The Kean team...(only jokin)” but you get gist...

His answer was “I’m not saying this team is better those teams but even the year we won the league we didn’t play better football than this.”

What do you think? Mowbray bringing the BEST brand of football we’ve ever played? It’s too early for me to decide.

• Like 1

Nobody is enjoying these thrashings as much as me (we’ve played 3 league matches, by the way, so it’s a daft discussion), but from this very small sample size, better football than a side containing some of the world’s top players in ‘95? Better than early Souness? 

Not for me, however those two sides I mentioned had one of, if not the biggest  budgets in their league (the Souness promotion team, not his PL team), so this team achieving promotion would probably be a bigger achievement.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Have to smile at these comments since the weekend. Trust me, I’m delighted by recent results but let’s have some context.

Mowbray is on his best ever two-game run in his time at Rovers.

The important thing is that he keeps playing his best players in their correct positions, and that Dolan continues his fine form (and he isn’t dropped after a couple of quiet games) but we will face tougher teams than the ones we have in these last two.

Cautiously optimistic.

• Like 5

Indeed, that Souness Promotion side was an absolute juggernaut once we got going in the new year.

Full of top quality players for the division. Proven by the core of the side then winning the League Cup and finishing 6th in the PL in subsequent seasons.

Anybody thinking our current side is close to that in either quality or standard of football obviously can’t remember 2001- 2003.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I spoke to a Rovers fan yesterday who had been watching us from the early 90’s (Pre-PL like me) and stated boldly that he had NEVER seen Rovers play better football than the first four games (inc cup) of this season under Mowbray!

I was gobsmacked!!! “What? Better than Kenny’s Champs? Than Hughes team? Than Souness’ team the year they came back up? The Kean team...(only jokin)” but you get gist...

His answer was “I’m not saying this team is better those teams but even the year we won the league we didn’t play better football than this.”

What do you think? Mowbray bringing the BEST brand of football we’ve ever played? It’s too early for me to decide.

I'd send him to the doctor pronto.

Best football we've ever played imo was the first half season under Woy until him and his methods got found out. It's not always about the easy on the eye stuff though it's how it functions as a team. He might want to remind himself the more successful Rovers sides operated like well oil machines and didn't play in pretty patterns.

All that being said 'pound for pound' this side is now shaping up nicely if they did somehow pull of the impossible it would have to rank as one of the best ever achievements by a Rovers side and manager.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Complete nonsense, especially after two games. Now if we go through the season playing like this and stuffing teams 3, 4 & 5-0 every week then I might change my mind.

I still say that Hodgson's sides at the start of the 97 season was the best "pure football" I have seen from a Rovers side, followed by Souness's side of 02-03.

Obviously if we're combining the whole package, then the side of 95 had it all, good football that could mix it up, and where everyone played as a team.