BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

I think most would say that on paper we now have the squad (strength and depth) that is good enough for top 6. Could we have said that before under TM? He has been given the time and money and not had to sell - so failure to get to top 6 would solely be on him now? That is my view anyway - if he fails to do it this season, he really does have to go even if we fell short by 1 point or goal, top 6 is the expectation and not the target. Fail and he really has to go.

Coventry up next, if he doesn't get the 3 points from that - I think the knives will be out already anyway.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

Knives from who? BRFCS, I suppose, but that will be it.

He’s the main man inside the club and he receives unstinting support from the majority of the fanbase.

There are glimpses that we can kick on this season and we just need to hope for the best that he can actually harness it as there’s no alternative.

The forum needs to get it out of its collective head (save yourselves the angst of ‘Should He Go’? Polls and the like)  that he’ll be going anywhere this season, even if he massively underperforms with the squad we’ve acquired and we bumble around in Mid table (again).

Edited by Mattyblue

Lots of variables this year thrown into n the mix. Wouldn't normally say it but approaching Christmas is the time to see were we are at this season.

Falling well short or struggling then no ifs buts or maybes he should be put out to grass.  Because in that scenario it's likely to be a season wasted so might as well look to the future. 

• Like 1

I've been very critical of Mowbray at times but personally have seen an improvement in our performances to suggest we can make the playoffs. I can actually see what mowbray is trying to do now which I havent been able to at times.

Forrest was very poor but we were missing too many players and the new lads. Last night we created a lot of chances vs one of the stronger sides in the league, even brereton scored (a good goal too). It's also easy to see how the players that frustrate me (johnson, evans, bell) come out of that team. You get Trybull sitting in the 3, travis back from injury, douglas at left back and on set pieces, rothwell on the left of the 3 driving forward, elliott to get a few more games under his belt. Sprinkle a bit of dack dust and we are looking alright to me.

I'll be having another reassessment after 12 games. 

• Like 4

The biggest criticism I have for him is that he refuses to play the best 11! The frustrating thing is how he persists with Evans in the middle, not blessed with speed, gives far too many balls away, is a very poor deliverer of the final pass and is a hindrance to both his fellow midfielder and defence. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s the main man inside the club and he receives unstinting support from the majority of the fanbase.

There are glimpses that we can kick on this season and we just need to hope for the best that he can actually harness it as there’s no alternative.

The forum needs to get it out of its collective head (save yourselves the angst of ‘Should He Go’? Polls and the like)  that he’ll be going anywhere this season, even if he massively underperforms with the squad we’ve acquired and we bumble around in Mid table (again).

Very true and playing behind closed doors , is giving Mowbray an undeserved safety net ...

45 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The biggest criticism I have for him is that he refuses to play the best 11! The frustrating thing is how he persists with Evans in the middle, not blessed with speed, gives far too many balls away, is a very poor deliverer of the final pass and is a hindrance to both his fellow midfielder and defence. 

He makes the same mistakes he's always made but somehow people expect different outcomes. Every season starts with great enthusiasm and every season ends the same.

We have a potentially good side and given a fair run with injuries we should be up there pushing. If it doesn't work this time he's had it.

By the way, do we have more injuries than everyone else or what?

45 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Constantly chopping and changing managers has not done either of those clubs any good.

He's had the standard old school management cycle now so this season will tell us all we really need to know ( think we already know tbh ).

3rd Champ season in a row, constant backing in the windows to build his squad, big money buys, players for present and future signed.  Now it's time to see if indeed it is on the right lines or still just a steady hand on the tiller.

Everything stands at his door now and buying time will not wash anymore and at some point upstairs it probably won't either. Unless they embark on a cash grab back sales push that is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

It’s funny how opinions can differ so much. I thought we were great in the wins against Wycombe and Derby, very poor against forest but back to a good performance tonight, frustrating as the result was. It’s never nice to lose but we played some positive, pressing football tonight, and were only undone by individual errors. To me that shows that we are moving in the right direction, and with our new LB to come in and Dack to come back I think we’ll continue to get stronger. 

I’m still backing us for the top 6 this season. I think this is our best chance since we were relegated into this league, as even though our squad isn’t quite as strong (no players at the level of Rhodes, Robinson or Gestede), we have a good coach and what looks like a very good team at this level if they can click. If we don’t get there I’d expect TM to come under pressure and tbh I think I’d be ready for a change if we don’t end the season round about the top 6. 

Talk of sacking TM now (I know you’re not calling for that) is foolish. 

If I'd a £ for every time I've heard " we were only undone by individual errors " during Mowbray's time here I'd be a fairly rich man. Winning managers evolve systems of play that are intended to eliminate individual errors. If that doesn't work they eliminate the players that regularly make mistakes and sign players that don't. We've never defended well as a unit, we fail to sense trouble coming until it happens. We've been easy to score against for too long. The word gets around in football, just keep it tight against Rovers and wait for the inevitable mistake or series of mistakes to come along, you'll get a good scoring chance. Until that situation is rectified we're going nowhere, unless it's down the table. Coventry will have watched our games and you don't need to be a genius to figure out how to play against us.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

what fan base?

If he is still picking Evans whilst working with the player for going on 2/3 years now  in match days & in training there’s no hope for the man !! 
We have too many nice guys in our team even the manager ... all drips down from the Venkys ...

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, unleaded said:

If he is still picking Evans whilst working with the player for going on 2/3 years now  in match days & in training there’s no hope for the man !! 
We have too many nice guys in our team even the manager ... all drips down from the Venkys ...

Agreed. He can do whatever he likes, sign whomever he likes, pick whomever he likes, with complete impunity.

And yet how often do we hear that managers live and die by results.

I do wonder what the tipping point will be. For Mowbray, for Venkys, and for the club. What number does our debt need to get to?

4 hours ago, unleaded said:

Paul Cook is twiddling his thumbs - we could do a lot worse.

Gets results and success wherever he's been.

Has that hard nosed winning mentality we are so desperate for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Paul Cook is twiddling his thumbs - we could do a lot worse.

Gets results and success wherever he's been.

Has that hard nosed winning mentality we are so desperate for. 

If you are going to replace Mowbray, why would replace him with someone who has a worse win ratio for Wigan? Both manager got promotion in the same season and spent 2 seasons in the Championship with pretty much the same resources. 

Cook is not even a sideways step, the man is has managed 2 seasons in the Championship as his highest level and both were poor. 

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Agreed. He can do whatever he likes, sign whomever he likes, pick whomever he likes, with complete impunity.

And yet how often do we hear that managers live and die by results.

I do wonder what the tipping point will be. For Mowbray, for Venkys, and for the club. What number does our debt need to get to?

Well debt is obviously not a factor. Wouldn't make sense either.

He should be judged by results according to the resources at his disposal. When we won promotion, Wigan and us blew the rest of the league financially and with wages, so that was expected and delivered.

The two previous seasons has been adequate, with an adequate squad. 

This season is different for me. Now we have a squad that is play-off worthy and this season should expect play-off results. Unlike the previous seasons, our competition has been hit harder and we've been able to improve the squad. It's very much Mowbray's players, his style and his ambition on the line now. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Paul Cook? :lol:

I wouldn't want that dingle anywhere near the Blackburn Rovers manager chair. We had one ex dingle in the hotseat we don't need or want another in there, 

Stick by Mowbray. He is right manager for us. 

I suspect that 95% minimum on here would take Dyche in an instance!

• Like 4