BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You are right.

The guy in question was a Jack Hixon who Shearer remained friends with until Hixon's passing.  Hixon did work for Newcastle in his latter years but the recruitment game had changed and Newcastle had missed out on all Jack's earlier gems.

Off the top of my head, I think Jack found for Burnley up in the NE the likes of Ralph Coates, Dave Thomas, Stan Ternent, Arthur Bellamy, Brian O'Neill , Dave Merrington and Les Latcham who all excelled in the top flight.  At today's prices you've probably got about £250million of talent there.

A remarkable man.

I think the likes of Ray Pointer, John Angus, John Talbut, Jimmy Robson, Gordon Harris etc were all Geordies. Maybe they were before your time. Brian O'Neill was some player, if he hadn't have been such a bad lad he would have played for England. Bob Lord got fed up with bailing him out in the end and got rid of him.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think the likes of Ray Pointer, John Angus, John Talbut, Jimmy Robson, Gordon Harris etc were all Geordies. Maybe they were before your time. Brian O'Neill was some player, if he hadn't have been such a bad lad he would have played for England. Bob Lord got fed up with bailing him out in the end and got rid of him.

I did say off the top of my head - we are gong back some 60 years or so now and reaching the periphery of my recollections!

Anyhow, good shouts!

Think I'm right in that Pointer, Angus and Harris were all capped by England at full international level though none of them became regulars in the England team.

Remember also seeing Pointer playing in his thirties for Pompey in his latter career where he was still banging them in but not quite the same force.  Didn't Angus stay at Burnley all his career - a top class full back.  'Bomber' Harris was not to be trifled with (could be nasty even with his own team mates!) and and always got his fair share of goals whether it be from the wing or midfield - recall him going back to the NE to finish his career at Sunderland.  Friend in Blackpool told me Jimmy Robson still lives there and I also remember seeing him play for the Tangerines when he left Burnley.  Talbut not quite in the same league as the others and ended up at WBA - seem to recall reading he died from dementia (perhaps football related, like Jeff Astle, heading all those heavy balls as a centre half).  Yep, spot on about O'Neill and a 'real hard bastard' (if I'd a pound for every time I heard someone call him that).

My best mate at the time was a Burnley fan and his dad also took me along if Rovers weren't at home - what an upbringing!

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

I did say off the top of my head - we are gong back some 60 years or so now and reaching the periphery of my recollections!

Anyhow, good shouts!

Think I'm right in that Pointer, Angus and Harris were all capped by England at full international level though none of them became regulars in the England team.

Remember also seeing Pointer playing in his thirties for Pompey in his latter career where he was still banging them in but not quite the same force.  Didn't Angus stay at Burnley all his career - a top class full back.  'Bomber' Harris was not to be trifled with (could be nasty even with his own team mates!) and and always got his fair share of goals whether it be from the wing or midfield - recall him going back to the NE to finish his career at Sunderland.  Friend in Blackpool told me Jimmy Robson still lives there and I also remember seeing him play for the Tangerines when he left Burnley.  Talbut not quite in the same league as the others and ended up at WBA - seem to recall reading he died from dementia (perhaps football related, like Jeff Astle, heading all those heavy balls as a centre half).  Yep, spot on about O'Neill and a 'real hard bastard' (if I'd a pound for every time I heard someone call him that).

My best mate at the time was a Burnley fan and his dad also took me along if Rovers weren't at home - what an upbringing!

Angus had a nasty streak as well. We were playing the dingles at Ewood and I was stood at the Blackburn End at the front near the wall towards the corner flag. Mike Harrison and Angus had been involved in a tackle right in front of me were they both went to ground. The ball was quickly cleared downfield and as Mike was getting to his feet Angus kicked his legs right from under him. Not many people saw it because most were watching the play down field so he got clean away with it. No TV then. I think he knew Mike wasn't keen on the rough stuff and was trying to intimidate him.

Brian O'Neill was a good little player, in the later games he was usually marking Dougie. I remember him ripping Dougie's shirt right down the middle in one game at the Turf. I heard he'd had women trouble and Bob Lord had told him to leave town !

John Talbut played for the same England school boys team as a one time drinking partner of mine, Tony Street,  with Barry Bridges, Willie Carlin, Warwick Rimmer and the old West Brom goalie John Osbourne who actually was an outfield player as a schoolboy.

• Like 1

This team has potential.  If Venky’s want to go places then they need to sort out a replacement for Mowbray now!  Give whoever the appointment is time before Christmas window then back him.  There is enough talent in the squad to to get through to the window to keep us within striking distance.   It’s now or never

• Like 7

We know how it goes and no doubt we can look forwards to pasting someone again soon then he'll be back to messiah status.

I just wish some of those who automatically yell we are going to be a top 2 team every time he makes a couple of solid additions finally wake up and realize the hamster wheel we are stuck on.

This boys, girls and club sycophants is not top 6 material it'll pan out like it always does, middle of the road. And it isn't down to budgets 70% of the time.

• Like 2

Just now, Waggy76 said:

Mowbray should have been sacked after our first season back up, some would say after the Brentford and transfer window debacles that season !!!

the harrison reed debacle annoyed me more than anything,a cracking little player shunted out wide because evans and smallwood were thought to be the answer,no wonder he could`nt wait to get back down south

• Like 3

Unfortunately if we sack him it takes us closer to ffp compensating him with no money to spend unless we sell. 
Agree he isn’t good enough but perennial mismanagement has brought us to this. 

What a terrible self inflicted situation to be in. 

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

This team has potential.  If Venky’s want to go places then they need to sort out a replacement for Mowbray now!  Give whoever the appointment is time before Christmas window then back him.  There is enough talent in the squad to to get through to the window to keep us within striking distance.   It’s now or never

Can’t agree more. We have the players. We have a great academy. We have even been backed by the knobheads in India lately . We are an attractive proposition and a good manager would get this team competing consistently at the top end of the table. I’m bored of the Tony is a nice guy routine. Yes he is but he will never get us promoted in a million years. It’s no good having a good orchestra if the conductor has dementia. For god sake get someone on who can at least organise a defence and sign someone south of feckin Gateshead 

• Like 4

Aspects of the Reading game were unlucky but

- I got the impression they surprised us as we didn't look like we had been set up correctly. Sticking with our 4-3-3 doesn't mean you ignore what the opposition has and I write that as someone who accuses Mowbray of over thinking.

- the Reading manager on the night was a totally different level to Mowbray especially the way his team went up a gear when it went 2-3. That was absolute class on their part.

I have never seen a Mowbray team do that.

And what he did with the subs last night was close to criminal. I know he is good but Elliott has now played in four radically different positions in his three games for us. 

We have a competitive squad and first team. But, there are easily six managers in the Championship a whole level better than Mowbray and that is the graveyard where our promotion hopes are buried.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 4

The only way Mowbray will leave is if some sort of professional pride kicks in and he accepts that as a manager he is unable to get us any higher than 8th-14th.

Will he. Of course not. He’s either 1 deluded enough to think he can get us higher. Or 2 he knows he can’t but is happy just collecting the easiest money in football. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldnt be sacking Mowbray at all. 

I'm happy to get him the entire season with his team and see where we finish. 

Plenty of games left. This league is wide open. Home games arent home games anymore. Every game is neutral venue in reality without fans

Then some will say, let's give him another window, let's see how we start, let's see where we are after 6 matches, let's see where we are after 12 matches, let's see where we are at Christmas, let's give him another window, let's give him the season.

And, IMO,  round and round in circles we go on a feckin journey to nowhere other than to Mowbray's pension pot.

He's been here almost four years now and I think enough is a feckin enough. 

• Like 9

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Then it may seem that he actually has been hacked? 

Whoever it is needs a good slap. Posting some disgusting stuff on Chaddys Twitter which includes tweeting Tyrhys Dolan on a tweet about his mate dying... and it isn't nice! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Madon said:

Whoever it is needs a good slap. Posting some disgusting stuff on Chaddys Twitter which includes tweeting Tyrhys Dolan on a tweet about his mate dying... and it isn't nice! 

Yeah, just seen it all. Disgusting - what kind of loser does something like that? 

• Like 1