BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

37 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Fucking hell Tony:

"Joe Rothwell, he turned up today and his back was really sore. Whether he’s been isolating for those 10 days and has just been laying on a sofa, I’m not sure"

Is this the sort of manager we want... not for me.

Jeeeeesus you can’t say that, has he lost the plot? He wouldn’t say that about one of his favourites, complete bully.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, broadsword said:

How many times have we heard that over the last ten years. Some people never learn

Aye, we'll be hearing the same this time next season.

We have now progressed to mediocrity + . Results and points wise it's the same as mediocrity, just with added goals.

We still can't defend and are still mentally weak when it comes to games with any kind of pressure on them.

We also have a manager who can't resist tinkering for the sake of it.

Round and round it goes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gav said:

I’m sure someone posted Tyrhys Dolan on the Covid thread on the other side of the forum last night, completely out of the blue referring to chaddy, the mods have removed it, hopefully they know who the culprit is.

Some spineless faceless bedroom dwelling no mark no doubt.

As for Mowbray, the good news is we’ve time to sort out the defence, still very early days.

The bad news is, he’s been trying for 3yrs!

He's been trying to sort out defences throughout his managerial career.

He usually fails.

I'd give him until the international break. 

Swansea, Middlesbrough, QPR. 

By then we will be a quarter through the season. 11 games. If we don't get a couple of wins from them or if we lose two or more of them then we are at the sort of stage where a serious club would be taking action.

E.g. if we reach 11 games and only have 10, 11, 12, 13 points on the board then that is basically 1 point per game and normally barely enough to survive. Not good enough.

Probably fortunate this season with Wycombe being so bad and Wednesday starting on minus 12. 

• Like 5

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but you can all ‘give him until x’, it doesn’t matter as there’s not a chance he’s going anywhere this season.

He’s got a deal for another season after this and he’ll see his contract out (staring relegation in the face would be the only possible exception).

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Fucking hell Tony:

"Joe Rothwell, he turned up today and his back was really sore. Whether he’s been isolating for those 10 days and has just been laying on a sofa, I’m not sure"

Is this the sort of manager we want... not for me.

Shoulder shrug, you win some you lose some, sometimes players tell the truth sometimes they don't. Life goes on and we all still get paid.

The world according to Mr blasie 

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He's been trying to sort out defences throughout his managerial career.

He usually fails.

Which is strange Asia being a defender himself....

Lets hope he goes one better this time. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but you can all ‘give him until x’, it doesn’t matter as there’s not a chance he’s going anywhere this season.

He’s got a deal for another season after this and he’ll see his contract out (staring relegation in the face would be the only possible exception).

You're probably right...but you never know. He has been well backed financially again and talks about having the team he wants now. There was a slight feeling of going for broke on deadline day which might suggest some pressure has been applied. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gamst said:

You're probably right...but you never know. He has been well backed financially again and talks about having the team he wants now. There was a slight feeling of going for broke on deadline day which might suggest some pressure has been applied. 

Mowbray might have the team that he wants, but its not the defence we need.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

By then we will be a quarter through the season. 11 games. If we don't get a couple of wins from them or if we lose two or more of them then we are at the sort of stage where a serious club would be taking action.

E.g. if we reach 11 games and only have 10, 11, 12, 13 points on the board then that is basically 1 point per game and normally barely enough to survive. Not good enough.

Probably fortunate this season with Wycombe being so bad and Wednesday starting on minus 12. 

This.

We are losing valuable time,finances and opportunity if we stay as we are,like a Dog chasing its tail...losing patience with the excuses.

31 minutes ago, Gamst said:

I should hope so finally.

I'm not entertaining thoughts of top 2 and top 6 to me even before we started remains a tough ask. As long as that is the real aim and they have a go then fine but to change the narrative as we go along again won't wash this time.

I'm not after them demanding promotion from him then sacking him in a knee jerk but pointing out they now want to see real progress this season is more than fair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

To be honest, should we even give him that? 

His time in charge here is just one continuous cycle of winning a few games followed by some dismal runs. Hes never been able to resolve our defensive issues. Another typical Mowbray cycle, a few cleans sheets, followed by conceding 2/3/4 every week.

The Reading game was a joke, some of the most calamitous defending we've seen from Rovers for some time.

No point in sticking with, he'll come good for a bit before reverting back to becoming a shambles, and round and round we go.

Edited by davulsukur

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

To be honest, should we even give him that? 

His time in charge here is just one continuous cycle of winning a few games followed by some dismal runs. Hes never been able to resolve our defensive issues. Another typical Mowbray cycle, a few cleans sheets, followed by conceding 2/3/4 every week.

The Reading game was a joke, some of the most calamitous defending we've seen from Rovers for some time.

No point in sticking with, he'll come good for a bit before reverting back to becoming a shambles, and round and round we go.

Probably right yes. Personally I'd have sacked him last season and I've seen little to persuade me otherwise since.

But if we are looking in isolation at this season and ignoring previous seasons then November international break represents an ideal time to take action to salvage the season.

* Not that anything will happen, just what I think should if the club wants to get anywhere.

• Like 2

A key part as to why we can’t realistically expect to be promoted under this manager comes down to the fact he’s far too nice and tactically inept to utilise the quality of the squad in front of him. If players such as Lenihan, Evans, Bell and Gallagher continue to make regular first team places and play poor football without any abrupt managerial interruption then the whole team and us fans will continue to suffer, along with our league position at the end of the season. Mowbray needs to grow a pair and really clamp down on the weak links regularly holding us back. I also say he’s tactically inept as he regularly plays people out of position which is obvious to everyone this never ends well against a decent side. The other part of his tactical meltdown is formation.  He needs to change this to adapt to the opposition, it’s really not difficult. This combined with the very weak performances some players get away with is only more detrimental to our overall ‘progress’. Grow a pair please Mowbray instead of being mr nice to everyone who plays for you and use your brain.

Edited by Mattc93
Wanted to reword it a little.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I shudder to think who Venky's would replace him with. They can, and probably will, do a lot worse than Mowbray, as they have done before. 

This is often over looked. What's the chances they'd stumble over someone of the Reading manager's calibre? I'll tell you; absolutely fuck all chance. We'd end up with a complete clown and be pining for Mowbray within a month. Football; dead since 2010.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Depends on whether “give him until x” means he should walk or if it’s the point when the fan in question does.

Our walk away numbers will only really be known once lockdown is over but we are heading for an all time low.

Of course that isn’t all Mowbray’s fault but considering we are now talking about a reduction of the hardcore we need to start looking like promotion candidates and not play-off pretenders.

Same-old-same-old won’t see the masses racing back.

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This is often over looked. What's the chances they'd stumble over someone of the Reading manager's calibre? I'll tell you; absolutely fuck all chance. We'd end up with a complete clown and be pining for Mowbray within a month. Football; dead since 2010.

I think that's rubbish. Basically if we were looking for another manager to replace Mowbray all we'd have to do to surpass the appointment on paper  would be to appoint a manager who wasn't on the managerial scrapheap having walked out of a job with a League One Club before he was pushed!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think that's rubbish. Basically if we were looking for another manager to replace Mowbray all we'd have to do to surpass the appointment on paper  would be to appoint a manager who wasn't on the managerial scrapheap having walked out of a job with a League One Club before he was pushed!

Pushed? He left because of... dignity and stuff.

• Like 1