BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Mowbray will be going at some point. If he isn't sacked he will resign or retire.

Even if we offer him a lifetime contract he won't work forever.

What are we supposed to do? Never even think about appointing anyone else because they might get someone worse?

What happens if another club comes in and approaches Mowbray to go and join them?

Pearson would probably be a good shout but Venky's will want to do it on the cheap so it's probably a non-starter. 

Mowbray is about the best they've come up with so far,  and he can point to a fairly decent record at Rovers if we're being fair. He's got us promoted at the first time of asking, improved our league position year-on-year and increased the value in the squad by a huge amount and brought in some very good players. The football is good to watch now too. 

On the debit side, BB and SG will always be a waste of £12m and he just can't seem to organise a defence or create a system that stops us leaking goals. 

The bottom line is though that we need promotion and I think most people see that as very unlikely under Mowbray, mainly because of the defensive issues. 

Given that Venky's will just go for the cheapest option again I think it would be a huge gamble to sack hi unless we are down near the bottom. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray will be going at some point. If he isn't sacked he will resign or retire.

What are we supposed to do? Never even think about appointing anyone else because they might get someone worse?

What happens if another club comes in and approaches Mowbray to go and join them?

Who is "we"? We the fans can think about appointing someone else for sure, I'd absolutely love if we unearthed some unknown gem like Reading have (albeit only 8 games in). 

"We" being Venkys? I can guarantee they are thinking absolutely fuck all about Blackburn Rovers currently, in their mind the ship is safe under a lovely man whose wife bakes a great cake. 

And if another club approaches Mowbray and he goes and join's them I will firstly pay you £100 (take that as an official bet). Madame on the other hand will be irritated that one of her under-performing outposts have the temerity to contact her, and then employ some clown to ask a filthy agent to recommend replacements. 

It genuinely blows my mind that anyone can think that we would go through the process of  appointing the best available Manager for Rovers if Mowbray were to go, with our current owners in place. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

It genuinely blows my mind that anyone can think that we would go through the process of  appointing the best available Manager for Rovers if Mowbray were to go, with our current owners in place. 

And that's the elephant in the room. I'd take half the managers in the Championship over Mowbray but Venky's wouldn't. They'd take a bloke that's on the dole due to being utter shite in his last few jobs.

Coyle > Warnock in their world. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Can you please explain to me who on the below list gives you faith that Venkys will appoint a better manager than Mowbray?

image.png.e819bb9d09b98dfe2dab742896656f1e.png

I’ll attempt a response.

We keep being told that Venkys are different now than they were then but as soon as a change in manager is talked about it’s back to “...but Venkys!”.

The very fact they have given Mowbray nearly four years should suggest that they are taking different advice from the stupidity of six managers in three years.

People don’t want to hear it but Paul Lambert and his team were an excellent signing. With no money he brought in key players that we relied on for an awful long time afterwards. He should have been allowed to reinvest the Rhodes money.

We cannot keep having the same debate time and time again every time the realisation hits home that Mowbray can’t take us to the next level that “we won’t get anyone better”.

If Venkys were to replace Mowbray with another Owen Coyle then this current regime is a complete facade anyway. With BCD continuing indefinitely that would be the switching off point for even more fans.

At some point we need to make the change. The worry is that this will happen too late - and of course the next manager will get the blame.

We used to be a club who were perennial play-off chasers not satisfied with midtable and another season. That is what Venkys have done to us - gratitude for mediocrity. They get away with it because fans don’t demand more.

The second division record books show Mowbray as a poor man’s Bobby Saxton. We need a Don Mackay, and a change from a middling team to genuine challengers.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We keep being told that Venkys are different now than they were then but as soon as a change in manager is talked about it’s back to “...but Venkys!”.

Their MO is 'unemployed and cheap' when choosing a manager. Nothing to suggest that will change next time, and given the pandemic plenty to suggest they'll just do the same again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Their MO is 'unemployed and cheap' when choosing a manager. Nothing to suggest that will change next time, and given the pandemic plenty to suggest they'll just do the same again. 

I’m not convinced that Lambert, Irvine and Kelly were cheap.

Think this is Mowbray getting his excuses in already!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18829099.rovers-boss-left-frustrated-early-season-unavailability/

All teams are in the same boat with injuries and coronavirus - it's par for the course.

Also, it was Mowbray's actions, or inaction more likely, in the window which resulted in either 3 or 4 signings on the last day of the window.  For all the so called planning and different lists, to get to the last day of the window to make what's perceived as crucial signings is a nonsense.  There was nothing to stop him wheeling and dealing in the 'close season', just as countless other Rovers' managers have had to do.  One poster claimed it was Lenihan for whom we turned down a £10million bid - if that's correct, it's worse, IMO, than paying £5million for Gallagher!

Just feckin sick of, IMO, excuse after excuse and trite soundbite after trite soundbite.  IMO, the day Mowbray leaves Ewood (and i will open a bottle of my finest red in celebration) will be a day perhaps when a replacement brings hunger, dynamism, positivity and innovation to the club. 

• Like 2

Appointing managers on the so called cheap is a nonsense when you were in then for some £130million+ which has now risen to almost £200million+.

Would you allow KwikFit or ATS to service your Bentley or the local school art teacher to restore your newly discovered Rembrandt!?

Pay peanuts and get monkeys.

The three key appointments for any football club, IMO, are the football manager, the chief scout and the CEO.  IMO, our three are 3rd rate.

• Like 3

Just now, Mercer said:

Appointing managers on the so called cheap is a nonsense when you were in then for some £130million+ which has now risen to almost £200million+.

Yep, getting a manager on the cheap and then giving him £12m to spend on two 'wide forwards' is lunacy. Spend £12m on the contract of the best manager available...like Leeds did with Bielsa. 

• Like 3

We are all aware of Joey Barton’s past! As a young player he made many mistakes and many enemies.....and I , in no way condone his actions. 
His name has been mentioned at various times on here, in fact, this morning. ....and usually been met with a mix of derision or disgust

I would just like to add a little to the pot. I have 2 friends, who currently work with him in his back room team at Fleetwood. Both have worked at Burnley, with Dyche, at Bolton , with too many managers to mention and at North End. Both share the same view......he’s the best manager they have worked for! 

Why ???????.......he is totally straight will his players and staff......he sets expectations and standards which must be hit........he has a methodical approach to patterns of play......he lives, eats and sleeps Fleetwood......he’s intelligent and he’s hungry.....and finally, he’s modelled himself on a bloke who he believes to be  the best he’s ever worked with....Dyche.

No doubt there are many good manager qualities missing from this but....take from that what you will. His early days and his Burnley connection will have many on here running from any possible appointment at Ewood ..........

......and then, there’s Tony! 
Just a thought . 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

" What happens if another club comes in and approaches Mowbray to go and join them " - And then you woke up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dolly blue said:

We are all aware of Joey Barton’s past! As a young player he made many mistakes and many enemies.....and I , in no way condone his actions. 
His name has been mentioned at various times on here, in fact, this morning. ....and usually been met with a mix of derision or disgust

I would just like to add a little to the pot. I have 2 friends, who currently work with him in his back room team at Fleetwood. Both have worked at Burnley, with Dyche, at Bolton , with too many managers to mention and at North End. Both share the same view......he’s the best manager they have worked for! 

Why ???????.......he is totally straight will his players and staff......he sets expectations and standards which must be hit........he has a methodical approach to patterns of play......he lives, eats and sleeps Fleetwood......he’s intelligent and he’s hungry.....and finally, he’s modelled himself on a bloke who he believes to be  the best he’s ever worked with....Dyche.

No doubt there are many good manager qualities missing from this but....take from that what you will. His early days and his Burnley connection will have many on here running from any possible appointment at Ewood ..........

......and then, there’s Tony! 
Just a thought . 

I'd appoint him tomorrow if he'd come.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Would you allow KwikFit or ATS to service your Bentley or the local school art teacher to restore your newly discovered Rembrandt!?

Pay peanuts and get monkeys.

The three key appointments for any football club, IMO, are the football manager, the chief scout and the CEO.  IMO, our three are 3rd rate.

I doubt Reading are paying their manager very much.

In the end isn't it all down to luck? Sometimes you hit the jackpot

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Unless there is a catastrophic downturn in results, I don't think Mowbray will ever be sacked at Rovers.

I think Tony's a bit like Wenger ..... he's addicted to the drug of football and loves being a manager. He won't walk unless he has to

• Like 2

Personally I wouldn’t want joey Barton. I think he will be similar to Keane as his attitude and personality are also similar to Roy. Keane did well at Sunderland and then nothing after . It’s easier to command respect from players at Fleetwood and he is doing well but I think his style has a very short shelf life and you only have to listen to graham talking about him and dacky to know it won’t be long before the wheels fell off . I’m not saying joeys way isn’t right but times are so different and players are soft and entitled . He would probably get a new manager bounce but come this time next year he would have swung a punch at waggott, stubbed a cigar in dacks eye and it would all go pear shaped 

Edited by Oldgregg86

30 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Absolutely not. Are you happy to let Venky's appoint the next Coyle?

If the club is going to try and progress then at some point they are going to have to appoint someone else. With Mowbray it will be mid table at best although I suspect a year or 2 more under him and it will be more a fight for survival.

• Like 1