BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

"It’s football, there’s no right or wrong way to play, there’s no template to success." 

There we have it, in print; our Manager ladies and gentlemen. Is it any wonder we are the most streaky team in the football league?

You can see this being his attitude in the way we play; 'throw players in positions they may or may not be used to, give them a vague style and formation to follow, don't bother with building a solid defence that's boring, sometimes we'll win sometimes we won't but that's what football management is'

That simply isn't the case Tony. There is a template to success, there is a right way to play, there is a structure to getting teams out of this division. 

We're never getting promoted with this manager. 

Edited by CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was probably in a minority of one, not for the first time, but I would have parted company with him at the end of the promotion season. I wasn't impressed with the way we played most of the time. As we know we rarely managed to play at our optimum for more than 30 or 40 minutes in any game. Given the squad we had that was enough to win most games.  You have to be ruthless in football to win the big prizes.

Absolutely this. Spot on

Well, prior to the Swansea game I came on here and said he needed 2 wins from these 3 games to justify remaining in place through the international break. We've picked up 1 from 6 and haven't scored. Arguably fortunate to get that point.

The Armstrong injury may justify a slight reduction in target but not much given other options available. But anything less than a win v QPR and it is time to go.

Rather than this being a bad or difficult time to make a change I'd argue that it is ideal. International break, time left to salvage the season and new man to re-jig things in January.

• Like 2

If he loses this Saturday he HAS to go. 

Give the new manager the international break.

We all know what will happen though he will win the next 3 and be safe again.

It's an absolute joke.

Anyone happy with Mowbray has reduced the high standards that we should expect from a Blackburn team that I personally believe is capable of promotion, but not with Mowbray in charge.

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

If he loses this Saturday he HAS to go. 

Give the new manager the international break.

We all know what will happen though he will win the next 3 and be safe again.

It's an absolute joke.

Anyone happy with Mowbray has reduced the high standards that we should expect from a Blackburn team that I personally believe is capable of promotion, but not with Mowbray in charge.

He could lose the next 6 and still be safe.

• Like 7

From their point of view - His points total over the season despite the death spirals will be enough for midtable having contested with the covid situation and usual injuries.

They are happy with that probably because it and he cause them little fuss.

At some point 20 million will be recouped from sales - They'll be very happy with that.

We are the Tony and Steve show.

Edited by tomphil

He isn't going anywhere. He is bulletproof. Actually that's not true as that implies someone is wanting/trying to get him out and that isn't the case. 

The majority of fans it seems, away from this board, want him to stay. After Coyle and Kean and providing the sole highlight in a decade TM is considered the golden boy. Venkys really don't give a hoot about us. The CEO is his mate. The local media is a brown nosing oushover. There's no threat whatsoever. 

9 losses in 11 - who cares? Spunk £12 million on defunct talent - so.what? Bottle every playoff push - meh. Honestly he doesn't go anywhere at any point. Which could be a worse situation for us given the absolute clowns we have had in charge. Problem is it isn't a very good position to be in either by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 3

There's an interesting article in my paper today regarding OGS at Utd. -

" The job of a manager isn't simply to send a team out and hope for the best but to devise and drill a culture where good decisions become second nature, where individual talents  conceive of their role within a collective framework.

The worlds best coaches improve players by encouraging them to see the game differently: to anticipate, to spot patterns of play and sense danger ".

I don't think we've ever had a real " team identity " in Mowbray's time, or before that to be honest.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's an interesting article in my paper today regarding OGS at Utd. -

" The job of a manager isn't simply to send a team out and hope for the best but to devise and drill a culture where good decisions become second nature, where individual talents  conceive of their role within a collective framework.

The worlds best coaches improve players by encouraging them to see the game differently: to anticipate, to spot patterns of play and sense danger ".

I don't think we've ever had a real " team identity " in Mowbray's time, or before that to be honest.

Yes. Contrast this with Hughes and how fondly his team is remembered and I think a lot of the difference (outside of competence) is this. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, booth said:

Bilic would be a massive upgrade.

Not a Bilic fan - overrated IMO.

Having said that, don't think it would be difficult to find a manager who wasn't a massive upgrade on Mowbray.

Got to love it on here at times it's no wonder there are accusations of over expectation and on the opposite side lack of ambition.

'Who can we get' better,  

'Who'll come ?'

'Nobody out there'

er..... Hughes ?  - Busted flush 

Bilic ? - Nah overated

Pearson ? - Turned it down, won't come.

It's no frigging wonder they get the likes of Coyle through the door, we should be literally banging on it demanding any one of those. A fresh approach is needed with a manager who can build his team from the back and knows what a good striker actually is at this level.

It really is as straightforwards as that, TM would confuse a game of pass the parcel.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Got to love it on here at times it's no wonder there are accusations of over expectation and on the opposite side lack of ambition.

'Who can we get' better,  

'Who'll come ?'

'Nobody out there'

er..... Hughes ?  - Busted flush 

Bilic ? - Nah overated

Pearson ? - Turned it down, won't come.

It's no frigging wonder they get the likes of Coyle through the door, we should be literally banging on it demanding any one of those. A fresh approach is needed with a manager who can build his team from the back and knows what a good striker actually is at this level.

It really is as straightforwards as that, TM would confuse a game of pass the parcel.

Agreed. Also if folk consider Hughes a busted flush even at this level then Mowbray is a busted 2 pair.  

Well he didn't tear up trees at top level but he wasn't really a disaster either, he certainly isn't Coyle standard and he hasn't had a team bottom of league one or two after ten games.

If the dice was rolled just for the sake of it as a few would like then we could certainly do worse that's the best way to look at it. He fits Venky's remit in such a way as he's been sacked / resigned recently and out of a job so no compen !

He might not turn out to be a massive improvement but i doubt he'd ruin what TM has built overnight either.

Edited by tomphil

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I know where the bloke would start building from, that’s for sure!

And he kept us up with a strike force of post injury Jansen, Dickov, Stead and Boothroyd. If he can do that with them then he might even get a tune out of our strikers. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

And he kept us up with a strike force of post injury Jansen, Dickov, Stead and Boothroyd. If he can do that with them then he might even get a tune out of our strikers. 

I'd rather have John Stead any day than the two non striking strikers we have now. I see he's still playing at Harrogate !

• Like 4