BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a very interesting article about Nigel Pearson in my paper today. He's recovered from the Covid he caught early this year but it's revealed some heart problems. He lives in Devon now so wether he'd fancy a move up North is in doubt. The article sounds like he'd like to be back in football though.

Its was online in the Athletic online sport paper. Very good detail article. 

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a very interesting article about Nigel Pearson in my paper today. He's recovered from the Covid he caught early this year but it's revealed some heart problems. He lives in Devon now so wether he'd fancy a move up North is in doubt. The article sounds like he'd like to be back in football though.

I was sat near him in the directors box at Ewood  (long story) a few years ago when we played Leicester. I remarked to the person next to me that Pearson looked ill and slightly distressed. He was actually having a heart attack and was rushed to hospital. 

• Like 1

Credit where it's due he got a tune out of them today but that's his job and this is his squad and it's a decent size now. Yet again Kaminsky looks the part very good signing.  

Pears as number 2 less so i hope the number 1 stays fit now.

Jury out on this season and that is all that really matters.

1) I am not looking at any game thinking Mowbray cost us so far this season. Equally I am not looking at any points gained because of managerial wizardry.

2) if he keeps it that way, then it is a function of the squad being good enough to get us up. I certainly think it is at least good enough to be in contention and that is down to a superb summer window so thumbs up Tony for that

3) we have had at least eight players unavailable every game so far this season. We are still in contention so that is creditable. You can't judge Mowbray adversely on our current table position

BUT

4) Starting at Luton Mowbray will have the majority of his massive squad available. How he sets them up in a winning system, selects his 18, his 11 and uses his 3 subs is all about Mowbray. There is no hiding place. Every game hereon in has Mowbray totally exposed as the Manager.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, philipl said:

1) I am not looking at any game thinking Mowbray cost us so far this season. Equally I am not looking at any points gained because of managerial wizardry.

2) if he keeps it that way, then it is a function of the squad being good enough to get us up. I certainly think it is at least good enough to be in contention and that is down to a superb summer window so thumbs up Tony for that

3) we have had at least eight players unavailable every game so far this season. We are still in contention so that is creditable. You can't judge Mowbray adversely on our current table position

BUT

4) Starting at Luton Mowbray will have the majority of his massive squad available. How he sets them up in a winning system, selects his 18, his 11 and uses his 3 subs is all about Mowbray. There is no hiding place. Every game hereon in has Mowbray totally exposed as the Manager.

I was surprised to see that Luton are higher in the table than we are.

On 07/11/2020 at 10:58, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t know, Tyrone, if you get the Sunday edition of your paper but Andy Cole’s book is being serialised over this weekend and he mentions a certain Steve Waggott whom he engaged on the advice of his friend Paul Elliott to be his agent in the deal that took him to Newcastle from Bristol in 1993.

I am assuming it is our very own CEO. I can’t think there are many Steve Waggott’s in football!

I’m afraid he doesn’t come out of it very well. Cole is still angry about the fact that it cost him £30,000 for very little work to get the deal done.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, philipl said:

BUT

Agree.

The one success criteria this season is promotion - full stop.

There can be no excuses - Mowbray has been backed to the hilt and he will have had four and a half seasons at it.

Play-offs without getting up is failure.

Up or out I say and if it becomes clear as the season progresses that we aren't going to make it then that is the time the axe should fall.

I would never have appointed him in the first place and I think there have been several times over his tenure when a lot of clubs would have given him the boot.

• Like 4

Don’t think Mowbray gets enough credit with the squad he has assembled, a massive IF,but just imagine if everyone was fit.

Kaminsky

Nyambe.  Ayala.  Lenihan.  Douglas 

Holtby.   Travis.      Dack

Brereton. Armstrong.  Elliott

Subs.

Pears

Williams

JRC

Johnson

Trybull

Rothwell

Gallagher.

Squad members,Wharton,Bell,Bennett,Evans,Davenport,Buckley,Downing,
Chapman,Dolan.

Regardless of liking or disliking TM, that is a very strong squad.

• Like 1

everyone of us will agree that is a strong squad which should be challenging for the top six,imo the only handicap we now have is the manager,i don`t dislike him,i think he`s a top bloke,it`s just his management i don`t rate,deep down i know we`ll most likely win the next three games then fall away again by losing or drawing the following six

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, unsall said:

Don’t think Mowbray gets enough credit with the squad he has assembled, a massive IF,but just imagine if everyone was fit.

Kaminsky

Subs.

Pears

Williams

JRC

Johnson

Trybull

Rothwell

Gallagher.

Chapman,Dolan.

But he has to get the best 11 and some consistency.

That's were people get concerned but he deserves credit for putting it together. 

Time will come he has to get a tune out of it and cut with the rambling and romancing.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
47 minutes ago, unsall said:

Kaminsky

Subs.

Pears

Williams

JRC

Johnson

Trybull

Rothwell

Gallagher.

Chapman,Dolan.

He’s assembled a good squad and been backed in the transfer market.

He needs to deliver over the course of the season. Delivery= promotion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But he has to get the best 11 and some consistency.

That's were people get concerned but he deserves credit for putting it together. 

Time will come he has to get a tune out of it and cut with the rambling and romancing.

Agree, but unable to pick his best 11 with injuries and Coved. Injuries go with the job but this Coved with numerous players isolating every week must be soul destroying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was surprised to see that Luton are higher in the table than we are.

Can I asked why? 

Nathan Jones seems to be better suited to Luton than Stoke and he look like learned from that experience and adapt his way at this level

2 hours ago, unsall said:

Yes you are correct Unsall that Mowbray has build a very strong squad and one of the reasons why I think we will get top 6. But key players like Armstrong and Kaminski must stay fit for us to get top 6

Edited by chaddyrovers

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes you are correct Unsall that Mowbray has build a very strong squad and one of the reasons why I think we will get top 6. But key players like Armstrong and Kaminski must stay fit for us to get top 6

So the strong squad will get us top 6, but only if key players stay fit. That's a contradiction. 

If we're relying solely on AA for goals we haven't got a strong squad. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Agree.

The one success criteria this season is promotion - full stop.

There can be no excuses - Mowbray has been backed to the hilt and he will have had four and a half seasons at it.

Play-offs without getting up is failure.

Up or out I say and if it becomes clear as the season progresses that we aren't going to make it then that is the time the axe should fall.

I would never have appointed him in the first place and I think there have been several times over his tenure when a lot of clubs would have given him the boot.

You have stated on more than one occasion that promotion under Mowbray is not going to happen and yet here you are suggesting that only promotion is to be classed as success!

You can’t have it both ways.

You will be delighted like the rest of us if we get back to the Prem but if we don’t then you will be heralded as a sage. What a great position to be in.

• Like 1

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

You have stated on more than one occasion that promotion under Mowbray is not going to happen and yet here you are suggesting that only promotion is to be classed as success!

You will be delighted like the rest of us if we get back to the Prem but if we don’t then you will be heralded as a sage. What a great position to be in.

And he would delight if we appoint an ex dingle Paul Cook as Mowbray replacement. 

2 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Surely if he thinks that promotion is the aim and that the manager isnt capable of said aim then it is logical to want his removal?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I asked why? 

Nathan Jones seems to be better suited to Luton than Stoke and he look like learned from that experience and adapt his way at this level

I expected Luton to be in and around the bottom third of of the league.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely if he thinks that promotion is the aim and that the manager isnt capable of said aim then it is logical to want his removal?

I think you have clearly misunderstood my reply to Mercer.

His default position is that Rovers will not gain promotion under Mowbray. An opinion I totally understand and he’s entitled to it.

His comment today suggested a change of position in that he kept the door open to promotion as a possibility this season. That is why I said he can’t have it both ways.

What I don’t understand is why am I explaining myself to you!

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And he would delight if we appoint an ex dingle Paul Cook as Mowbray replacement. 

Would you appoint an ex-Dingle Dyche? I would. We've had this discussion before---what's Burnley got to do with it?

Cutting our nose off to spite our face! Cook should be considered on his merits. ( I haven't really formed any view of Cook by the way, I'm still assuming we'll have TM forever.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, unsall said:

Kaminsky

Subs.

Pears

Williams

JRC

Johnson

Trybull

Rothwell

Gallagher.

Chapman,Dolan.

It is and we're being primed for injuries as the reason it didn't work out.

4 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

Our number one objective has to be promotion to the PL.

Do I think Mowbray is the man to deliver it - no I don't.

Mowbray joined us as a Championship club and he told us himself in Blues last year (Feb) that he was given the job to keep us up that season - he failed to achieve that.

He has been with us for almost 4 years and been given the resources most managers in Divison 1 and now the Championship could only dream of.  Given at the end of this season he will have been with us for four and a half years and the resource he has had, IMO, if he has not got us back into the PL then he will have failed and should be replaced.

It really is that simple.

• Like 4